Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, um...later on you start finding prison hulks with dehydration pods. You put an enemy (or yourself) in them and they turn on, doing damage to whoever's inside until they die. And out spits a dehydrated Citizen.

Each of those bio-packs is worth 50 Bio. I went in the level loaded for bear due to the Zecs I was told I'd be fighting. I used the Rifter to turn one of the nastiest enemies into free $$$. I only stopped at 18 packs out of boredom. Post-recycling I have 1,238 Bio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just spent like 5 hours on Void Bastards, stopping only because I have to go into work.

I have a feeling that this game would look absolutely amazing at 144 fps, unfortunately I'm a long way away from affording the hardware for that.

LordSloth posted:

Official dev steam FAQ claims there are no motion blur or depth of field whatnot in Void Bastards. Oddly, some are pointing the blame at mouse smoothing. Try turning that down or changing the resolution if you’re past refunding.

Try fiddling around with the vsync too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do these hexagons mean in Void Bastards? Seen em elsewhere too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Depth 1-tier part onboard

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Alkydere posted:

So, um...later on you start finding prison hulks with dehydration pods. You put an enemy (or yourself) in them and they turn on, doing damage to whoever's inside until they die. And out spits a dehydrated Citizen.

Each of those bio-packs is worth 50 Bio. I went in the level loaded for bear due to the Zecs I was told I'd be fighting. I used the Rifter to turn one of the nastiest enemies into free $$$. I only stopped at 18 packs out of boredom. Post-recycling I have 1,238 Bio.

poo poo, I played around with those for a bit but their damage was too low to be worth kiting enemies back&forth, so I thought it was just flavor. I really wish I'd explored more then, that's great.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, Zecs were perfect for the dehydrator because despite their (bullshit) shield they only have 10-20 health (seriously I can see through the loving thing, Toaster/Roaster should go right through like it was a window). So the Dehydrator turns on, does 50 damage and *pop* goes the Zec. Veteran Janitors weren't too bad because they don't move too fast. That pile was about 2/3 Zecs and 1/3 Veteran Janitors.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Me: "Oh, yanno, some grilled onions and cheese does sound good..."
Friend: "Actually they tend to be pickled onions over here."
Me: :gonk:

Pickled onions are a top-tier sandwich component, friend. Pickled onions in grilled cheese are the business.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So um...remember me talking about the dehydrators and such? And you know how Patients count as multiple enemies with an individual health pool?

:getin:

Edit: they're only worth 10 bio each if made out of Patients but there were two Patient spawners in that room. That pile was pretty much there when I arrived.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 9, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
holeee sheeet, Comedy central that.

So yea, I beat Void Bastards on Normal in 14 hours, which was kinda disappointing. No deaths after the intitial meatgrinder once I got a few metaprogress upgrades. Was disappointed, so tried again on Hard with Ironman on, to see if I could get the no-deaths cheevo. Was going well, the the game crashed and ate my save when trying to cloud sync. Oops, so maybe don't try for that one. Since Hard was going well, I upped it to Hard Bastard and turned off Ironman. The game is... back to being a perpetual meatgrinder, holy poo poo. Security systesm in particular are majorly buffed, with super fast response times, damage that at lower difficulty was chipping but on HB is brutal, and no easy way to bypass as security shutdown are 20s (ie nothing) and tazers are about ~4s. Game is suddenly a lot more fun as everything is total bullshit again and it's great!

edit: there needs to be a cheevo for dehydrating yourself in those machines, resurrecting with a heartstopper, then recycling your own ash for Bio.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Serephina posted:

So yea, I beat Void Bastards on Normal in 14 hours, which was kinda disappointing. No deaths after the intitial meatgrinder once I got a few metaprogress upgrades. Was disappointed, so tried again on Hard with Ironman on, to see if I could get the no-deaths cheevo. Was going well, the the game crashed and ate my save when trying to cloud sync. Oops, so maybe don't try for that one. Since Hard was going well, I upped it to Hard Bastard and turned off Ironman. The game is... back to being a perpetual meatgrinder, holy poo poo. Security systesm in particular are majorly buffed, with super fast response times, damage that at lower difficulty was chipping but on HB is brutal, and no easy way to bypass as security shutdown are 20s (ie nothing) and tazers are about ~4s. Game is suddenly a lot more fun as everything is total bullshit again and it's great!

edit: there needs to be a cheevo for dehydrating yourself in those machines, resurrecting with a heartstopper, then recycling your own ash for Bio.

I hear you on the difficulty thing. I only died near the end after the early meatgrinder when I forgot I had just used my last torpedo and warped onto a destination to get some CNT Ink that also had a Void Whale on it. The resulting run back was honestly just kinda frustrating. But, hey, I managed to get the achievement for building and upgrading everything!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is City of Brass worth $7?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

yeah

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ragnar34 posted:

I'd say so.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ragnar34 posted:

I still haven't played it but I believe it's the low price of free on the epic store right now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Serephina posted:

I beat it on normal without any deaths and it was definitely fun, but with so much ammo and not huge damage from enemies I was pretty much just playing doom and speedran the last 3 story objectives in about an hour and a half. I'm playing on hard now at depth 2 and haven't died yet, but I'm wondering if I should just restart on hard bastard, although hard seems pretty well balanced.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

goferchan posted:

I still haven't played it but I believe it's the low price of free on the epic store right now

Nah, it appears that they've moved on to making the Kingdom: New Lands game free.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
flak kittens were a hilarious mistake

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Roguelikes -

Lunatic Sledge posted:

flak kittens were a hilarious mistake

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Void Bastards has some really good bones but badly needs more content. The first 5-8 hours are excellent then all of a sudden it tips over into a slow grind-and-gather with no real surprises.

Enemy variety is fine more or less, I think, it's just mostly the ship layouts, they need to be mixed up way more than they are, and there needs to be some Crawl-style vaults mixed into the layouts here and there. I'd love to see, for example, hull breach zones.

I'm just about to beat the game on Normal, will try again today on Hard Bastard to see if the difficulty spike freshens it up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't really worked out the art of playing creatively or stealthily in Void Bastards, I just kinda shoot everything, so going to Hard or Hard Bastard is kinda scary :ohdear:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
drat I wish it wasn’t $30
I’m poor

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Just one question about A Robot Named Fight. I noticed the game tracks consecutive wins. Is there any unlock tied to getting a number of those? I need to know just how careful I want to play (because honestly it feels right now like I could get a 90% win-rate by being super-careful and potentially grinding).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell, there's no achievement or unlock for hitting a certain number of consecutive wins.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I did it, I beat Tutorial Smith in ARNF! First try, too. I had the Pauldrons, Triple Shot, an absurd rate of fire, and the normally-disappointing Necroluminant Spray. I had so much damage and DoT from just constantly spraying radioactive goop that the second stage died before it even started.

Honestly, like with the Megabeast Core, getting to the boss was a lot harder than actually beating it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I’m poor

Hey there fellow poor, it’ll come down eventually, be patched, have more content, and so forth. Someday. I’m getting the sense that you reach the bottom of the game rather fast for a roguelike, though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

If we're talking about ARNF, there's a secret boss rush mode accessible by entering a specific seed. It's ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

it was the first thing I did when starting the game, I didn't realize there was a non-boss mode for a while

John Lee fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 9, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think this is my most overpowered ARNF run yet.

I was feeling pretty pessimistic until I got to the bottom of the map, as my only attack boosts had been a flamethrower and lightning gun, neither of which are all that useful in the endgame. But at said bottom of the map, I got explosive bolts, a mega-attack upgrade (massive boost in fire rate), and the laozi bolt, which turned my shots gigantic (and I'm guessing makes them deal more damage at close range, since they shrink with distance). The endgame was a bit of an anticlimax after that. The Megabeast only hit me once, and that was because I was being intentionally sloppy.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I’m poor

Good news for you, it's part of Xbox ultimate for PC which you can get the first month for $1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This might be the best and worst avatar I've ever seen.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Just picked up ARNF and this a difficult game compared to the stuff I usually play. Really neat though- body horror is the kind of stuff that, even when it's goofy/pixelated/etc, freaks me right tf out and so far everything I've seen is doing just that.

I just died to a giant ball of mouths that spit little short guys out and then split into more balls of mouths.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One of the big things that differentiates ARNF from most action roguelites is that you can grind for health. Find a room with easy-to-kill enemies, kill them, hope for drops, leave, re-enter, repeat. If you get an autofire gun like the flamethrower or lightning gun, then grinding on the Gemini Man blocks (that turn into monsters when you hit them) is generally the fastest option.

But yeah, it's easy to die, especially when you're still getting used to the floaty physics. This isn't a game where you can dodge out of the way right before a shot hits you; you're expected to not even be in the danger zone to begin with.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Speaking of easy to die, if you tap the jump button just before landing you can queue up a reflexive jump. Before I realized this I found spike pits much more lethal than they had any right to be. If you wait till you hit the ground under the spikes and then jump, it’s much easier to escape. I’d assumed wrongly that it was a knock back stun, it was just me hammering the button a bit too much in a panic.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

PMush Perfect posted:

This might be the best and worst avatar I've ever seen.

I don't understand what he's doing there. Is that his dick?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I found this to be a really good pairing with Void Bastards, for when I got tired of being thoughtful and methodical and wanted to tear a room apart with a rack of chainguns powerful enough to lift me off the floor.

1. Nova Drift
2. NEO Scavenger
3. Streets of Rogue
4. Razenroth
5. Void Bastards

6. MOTHERGUNSHIP

I should tell you up front, I hated Tower of Guns. For a game all about shooting guns at larger guns, I found the gunplay, the enemies, and the levels to be terribly underwhelming. I’m not so vain to think MOTHERGUNSHIP was designed in response to my criticisms, but it very well could be. Everything I disliked in Tower of Guns is turned on its head here, from the ridiculous piles of firearms you can construct to the gorgeous arenas of death you float through in your rampages. Even the humor and presentation have been punched up for this outing, making it one of the better first-person roguelikes to blast through, especially if you like chaos.

The Archivist armada has arrived at Earth, subjugating its defenders and beginning the process of fatally recording the existence of all things on the planet. A rag-tag resistance led by a rather unhinged team of troops has recruited you to pilot their armored suit into the vessels of the fleet to strike at their heart. The heart, of course, is the titular mothergunship, a massive command vessel that houses the AI controlling the Archivist hordes. Thing is, she’s cloaked and shielded and just not real easy to reach, so you’ll have to cut a swathe through her forces to find your way to the goal. Your allies will guide you as best they can, but it’s the guns you build along the way that’ll make the real difference between survival and digital extinction.

It’s an arena FPS, and I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Each level (which represents an Archivist ship) is a series of rooms full of enemies to blast, and you can’t move on to the next room until they’ve all been blasted. Most rooms here have multiple exits, and some lead to special rooms like ones with challenges or randomized effects. As a roguelike, the rooms and their deadly contents are always randomized except for a few bosses you’ll encounter in your journey. That means you’ll never know quite what to expect, though the enemy lineup is a pretty constant bunch of stationary turrets, flying annoyances, and traps like laser disco balls and flying mines.

Tower of Guns annoyed me because it was shooting boring guns at boring enemies. The enemies are slightly improved here but the guns are on a whole new level. For one thing, you don’t actually find guns. Little shops in the levels have a selection of parts you can buy, and from those you cobble together your own boomsticks. You’ve got three kinds of parts, connectors, barrels (the shooty parts), and caps (which provide bonuses), and the only rule is that your barrels have to face forward. That means you can strap a rocket launcher to a grenade launcher, make a bank of six chainguns, and cram every barrel in your inventory together to create a ball of guns that would make an NRA member weep. Sure, it might drain all your energy in a single shot, but that’s why it recharges so fast!

If you survive a level you keep the parts you found, and you can take a small assortment of banked parts into each level to help you get started. The game is extremely liberal with giving you affordable parts, and allowing even the strangest amalgamation to function. I’ve made guns so absolutely stupid that they covered my entire field of vision, and it almost didn’t matter because they’d vaporize anything directly in front of me. The building interfaces is incredibly intuitive and works off of simple nodes, and all the parts have grades and clear stats so there’s incentive to keep hunting and no impediment to understanding and experimenting. I even spent a fair bit of one night just making monstrosities in the gun range between missions.

The campaign will take you upwards of a dozen hours, and more if you like doing side missions for coins and parts. You’re bound to fall in love with the goofy characters you meet along the way, too, expertly voiced and given some truly hilarious lines. The whole presentation is incredibly slick, with colorful, detailed levels to blow stuff up in and a pleasantly pounding soundtrack. Levels are rife with secrets, and it’s easy to get a dozen or more double jumps in a single level to let you explore the heights for hidden passages. Really this one is everything I wanted Tower of Guns to be, giving you the firepower and mobility to see all its treasures right from the start. Not many FPS roguelikes can match MOTHERGUNSHIP for sheer spectacle and fun, especially not with the monstrous guns it encourages you to build.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 10, 2019

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Wishlisted for next sale. Thank you TSG.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Huh. I had no interest in MOTHERGUNSHIP because I disliked Tower of Guns so much. Might give it a go, though, that looks and sounds really neat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't understand what he's doing there. Is that his dick?
That's his scrotum. He's holding his balls.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hmm. Unexplored 2 is up on Fig in a new kind of early-access stretch-goal/milestone format. The different look is striking, and they are definitely going for making it more complex.

The page mentions Steam keys so people are already complaining about Epic on the comments page.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

atholbrose posted:

Hmm. Unexplored 2 is up on Fig in a new kind of early-access stretch-goal/milestone format. The different look is striking, and they are definitely going for making it more complex.

The page mentions Steam keys so people are already complaining about Epic on the comments page.

thats because epic brought out another crowdfunded game shenmue 3. people are pissed at epic with good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AkumaHokoru posted:

thats because epic brought out another crowdfunded game shenmue 3. people are pissed at epic with good reason.

yeahhhhhh this has me kind of burnt out at the moment