Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Oh man the third actually sounds the most appealing because I get motion sickness from FF a lot. I'll power through 2 too.

While the FF elements get pretty wild, it's diagetically(is that the word?) shot by a working TV crew, so there is clean framing and slower interview moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't really watch Hulu's Into The Dark but I got to preview Gigi Saul Guerrero's entry, Culture Shock. It's a little like if Black Mirror did a riff on Get Out, but about Hispanic migrants. It's not bad and has some genuinely scary imagery but doesn't really work as a movie for me, even though it's about 90 minutes. As a longer than usual episode of TV though, it's decent and made me want to watch the others. Barbara Crampton is real good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Babe Magnet posted:

which one got rid of the first-person gimmick entirely, was that 4?

[rec] 1 and 2 are loving dope, though. Quarantine, the American remake of 1, is also pretty good. Quarantine 2 is garbage

Yeah, that was 4, it involved a seatanker, the military and I want to say a scientist and the man girl from 1 and 2 is an actiony bad-rear end. It's like a side film to the Resident Evil movies.

Can also vouch for Quarantine but don't bother with the sequel.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The only thing I liked about 4 was bringing back Angela, because she rules.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I've been recommended to give Occult a try since I did enjoy Noroi. As the recommender's one who's not had a good track record with recommendations for me, figured I'd ask you guys if it's worth a watch.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I have a week and a half remaining on a Netflix trial. Anything that I ought to check out before it's gone? I watched Errementari and The (vv)itch already and was planning to watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe in the next couple days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

On Netflix I'd recommend: The Ritual, Veronica, The Babadook, Cult of Chucky, Apostle, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House, The VVitch, Krampus, Train to Busan, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Scream, Coraline, Monster House, Scream 2 and Let Me In.

I'm in Canada so some of these may not be available to you.

They've since added Hereditary.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Seyser Koze posted:

I have a week and a half remaining on a Netflix trial. Anything that I ought to check out before it's gone? I watched Errementari and The (vv)itch already and was planning to watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe in the next couple days.

Apostle, Hereditary, and if it's in your region check out the TV show Kingdom also.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Seyser Koze posted:

The Eyes of My Mother and The Ritual would probably be the two can't miss movies that you gotta see before the trial runs out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead is up on Youtube and it starts pretty strong:

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Oh man the third actually sounds the most appealing because I get motion sickness from FF a lot. I'll power through 2 too.

Do you get it from all found footage? Because a lot has to do with frame rate tricks and screen size. For instance, I can't watch more than 5 minutes of Blair Witch without getting sick, but Cloverfield doesn't bother me because the framerate is different and the director purposely doesn't hold shots for too long with the camera swinging around wildly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darko posted:

Do you get it from all found footage? Because a lot has to do with frame rate tricks and screen size. For instance, I can't watch more than 5 minutes of Blair Witch without getting sick, but Cloverfield doesn't bother me because the framerate is different and the director purposely doesn't hold shots for too long with the camera swinging around wildly.

No not all found footage. I dont know enough about film or tech to know the tricks you described but those are prob the reasons I can watch some and not others.

On the other hand I LOVE that TV effect that most people hate that makes things smoother? Idk what its called my friends say it makes everything look like a soap opera but its so much more easy on the eyes. I'd rather have everything look like a soap opera and be able to watch it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've been recommended to give Occult a try since I did enjoy Noroi. As the recommender's one who's not had a good track record with recommendations for me, figured I'd ask you guys if it's worth a watch.

I mean every time someone mentions Noroi I chime in with how Occult is better. Depends on if you trust my recommendation any more than that other dude, though. :v:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

On the other hand I LOVE that TV effect that most people hate that makes things smoother? Idk what its called my friends say it makes everything look like a soap opera but its so much more easy on the eyes. I'd rather have everything look like a soap opera and be able to watch it.

That's Motion Smoothing and it's way more hosed up than any horror film. I can't bear it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Seyser Koze posted:

Don’t miss Raw

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean every time someone mentions Noroi I chime in with how Occult is better. Depends on if you trust my recommendation any more than that other dude, though. :v:

So far I've not been steered wrong by goon recommendations so looks like Occult's going to get added to today's movie watching.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

So far I've not been steered wrong by goon recommendations so looks like Occult's going to get added to today's movie watching.

Occult is a bit more... playful?.. at times and it's ending can be absolute deal breaker for some.

Personally I really enjoy. But I'm a koji stan. If I do like Occult check out Cult and Shirome.

Cults my personal favorite of Kojis ff output.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://news.avclub.com/the-new-candyman-movie-will-apparently-be-about-toxic-1835356910

My theory: Tony Todd is still the "real" Candyman man in this movie and Yahya Abdul Mateen is someone who summons him but isn't happy with the results so he starts killing people how he thinks Candyman "should"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Karloff posted:

That's Motion Smoothing and it's way more hosed up than any horror film. I can't bear it.

Man i LOVE it. I turn it on for regular movies too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
No. Stop. This is even worse than storing your movies in binders. I can't take it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Blair Witch video game

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1137816398208495621?s=21

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

That's too hosed even for the horror thread

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Again?

I remember the Nocturne spin-off Blair Witch games being decent.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

M_Sinistrari posted:

If you enjoyed Noroi I think you'd like Occult for sure. It had a lot of the same feel to it, at least to me.

I've not seen all of Shiraishi's stuff but the only one I'd really give a pass would be Cult (and that's not so much that it's bad, but that it seems to end right when it should be getting started).

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Oh my gently caress.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Drunkboxer posted:

Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead is up on Youtube and it starts pretty strong:

you listened to the evolution of horror podcast this week didn't you

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Gen Z terrifies me

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ramadu posted:

you listened to the evolution of horror podcast this week didn't you

Yeah

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Extreme poser over here

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Darko posted:

Gen Z terrifies me

I thought it was an olds thing, but turns out it's actually kids these days??

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I might have missed the earlier recommendations but The Devil Inside on Netflix is really good. Imagine a religious horror/possession movie, set in a rainy Indonesian jungle. Worth checking out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gen Z rules.

Can't wait until they plunge their daggers deep into my Facebones until I die

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Okay, I really enjoyed Occult. It moved at a pleasant pace and while a substantial chunk of the movie's pretty mundane, that last portion more than made up for it. Yeah, the ending's a bit clunky, but it wasn't bad to the point it ruined the movie for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snack Bitch posted:

I might have missed the earlier recommendations but The Devil Inside on Netflix is really good. Imagine a religious horror/possession movie, set in a rainy Indonesian jungle. Worth checking out.

You're recommending the movie that ends with "go to our lovely website to see the ending"?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You're recommending the movie that ends with "go to our lovely website to see the ending"?

Specifically 'go to our lovely website that no longer exists except for Wayback Machine magic to see the ending'.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm thinking he mixed up the title? Because the "go to our website" movie isn't set in Indonesia.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I enjoyed The Ritual. I was a fan of the creature design and how much restraint they showed in only letting you see glimpses for the most part. The ending could have been stronger.

Fuckin :lol: at the old lady punch

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

:psyduck:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

God dammit, I meant May the Devil Take You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Two horrific faux pas in one page. Goodness no, this won't do at all!