Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Snail stop, you’re just mashing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

golden bubble posted:

No matter what, do not literally eat the rich

get a load of hillary rodham golden bubble over here

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nah, they're too fatty. It'd go straight to your hips.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eat the rich Render the rich down for candles

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Soviet Russian archaeologists dug up the grave of the famous mongol ruler Timur, which had an inscription that said, "Whomsoever opens my tomb shall unleash an invader more terrible than I.“ Three days later Hitler launched his campaign against Russia.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doesn't sound like Timur was that great an invader then?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Jun 1, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Remove the edit, that was a funny joke.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PMush Perfect posted:

Remove the edit, that was a funny joke.

:tipshat:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

poo poo, now my post gives it away.

Uh...

Someone say a factoid!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

These are pretty cool:

quote:

Radiocarbon dating of two pairs of trousers discovered in a cemetery in western China has revealed they were made between the thirteenth and tenth centuries B.C., making them the oldest known surviving pants by almost 1,000 years. German Archaeological Institute scholar Mayke Wagner, who led the study, says the dates amazed his team. “In most places on Earth, 3,000-year-old garments are destroyed by microorganisms and chemicals in the soil,” he says. The two people who were buried wearing pants were likely prestigious warriors who functioned like policemen and wore trousers while riding on horseback. “The trousers were part of their uniform and the fact that they were made between 100 and 200 years apart means it was a standard, traditional design,” says Wagner, whose team worked with a fashion designer to re-create the garments. “They are surprisingly good-looking, but they are not particularly comfortable for walking.”

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/146-1409/trenches/2381-china-worlds-oldest-pants

ps Mayke Wagner is a woman unlike what the above pronouns suggest.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jun 1, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Krankenstyle posted:

These are pretty cool:

Now there's a Heddels.com inspiration post. 3000 years, no washes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

These are pretty cool:

ps Mayke Wagner is a woman unlike what the above pronouns suggest.

I'm extremely interested in seeing (and wearing) the recreated pants.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm extremely interested in seeing (and wearing) the recreated pants.
Looks like they're pretty thick in the crotch, which makes sense since they're part of a uniform for riders.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I love that they are so superficially unremarkable - they are 3,000 years old and visually they could pass for fairly standard trousers today. Pants are universal, pants are eternal.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I like the multiple patterns & curlicues

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
That jigsaw pattern accross the waist is pretty cool.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A maintenance worker cleaning up on a nuclear sub wanted to leave work early so he started a fire on the sub. The fire destroyed it. The military spent 75 million on initial repairs only to determine it would cost 700 million to fully repair it, so it was decomissioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Miami_(SSN-755)

He’s ordered to pay it all in restitution. LOL.

Gotta love how a story like this didnt get half as much exposure as one of Trumps daily comments.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
20-something years in service and then ruined by one schmuck is not exactly out of the usual

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

A maintenance worker cleaning up on a nuclear sub wanted to leave work early so he started a fire on the sub. The fire destroyed it. The military spent 75 million on initial repairs only to determine it would cost 700 million to fully repair it, so it was decomissioned.

Gotta love how a story like this didnt get half as much exposure as one of Trumps daily comments.

Let's not forget their motto was "First to fire. Twice to fire."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You'd think their last motto would be "We're on fire"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

That's probably because the president was Obama at the time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ChocNitty posted:

How, though? Unless the guy turns out to be the hitherto unknown true heir to Saudi Arabia, I doubt he'd be able to do so. Is it just garnishing his paycheck for the rest of his life?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well he's in prison for 17 years so....slavery I guess.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Joseph Mitchell’s profiles of 1930s/40s New York City and it’s inhabitants are legitimately amazing

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/1940/04/13/the-old-house-at-home/amp

quote:

Old John believed it impossible for men to drink with tranquillity in the presence of women; there is a fine back room in the saloon, but for many years a sign was nailed on the street door, saying, “Notice. No Back Room in Here for Ladies.” In McSorley’s entire history, in fact, the only woman customer ever willingly admitted was an addled old peddler called Mother Fresh-Roasted, who claimed her husband died from the bite of a lizard in Cuba during the Spanish-American War and who went from saloon to saloon on the lower East Side for a couple of generations hawking peanuts, which she carried in her apron. On warm days, Old John would sell her an ale, and her esteem for him was such that she embroidered him a little American flag and gave it to him one Fourth of July; he had it framed and placed it on the wall above his brassbound ale pump, and it is still there. When other women came in, Old John would hurry forward, make a bow, and say, “Madam, I’m sorry, but we don’t serve ladies.” This technique is still used.

...Whenever Bill completely lost his temper he would jump up and down and moan piteously. One night in the winter of 1924 a feminist from Greenwich Village put on trousers, a man’s topcoat, and a cap, stuck a cigar in her mouth, and entered McSorley’s. She bought an ale, drank it, removed her cap, and shook her long hair down on her shoulders. Then she called Bill a male chauvinist, yelled something about the equality of the sexes, and ran out. When Bill realized he had sold a drink to a woman, he let out a cross between a moan and a bellow and began to jump up and down as if his heels were on fire. “She was a woman!” he yelled. “She was a goddamn woman!”...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

In 1941, British troops captured the port of Massawa, in Italian-occupied Ethiopia. The retreating Italian forces destroyed as much of the port infrastructure as they could and sank more than 40 ships throughout the port and across the harbour mouth. In early 1942, the Allies sent Edward Ellsberg, a formerly retired US Navy salvor, with instructions to make the port usable. To help out they sent the Navy salvage ship Intent and a group of independent contractors who, overall, did far more harm than good.

The big prize here was the floating heavy crane; with a thousand-tonne lift capacity it would let them deadlift many of the sunken ships, most notably the Italian minelayer Ostia. The Italians had sunk it simply by opening the sea-cocks and letting the flotation chambers fill with water, and it lay in only 40 feet of water, so re-floating it should be a simple matter of running compressor lines down to it and filling it with air instead. Unfortunately, the contractors had already had a go at it (in between destroying their pumps with saltwater and filling one of the boats they were trying to raise with concrete); they'd not only failed to re-float it, but had damaged the deck and breached the flotation chambers, then declared it "unsalvagable" and wired the Admiralty asking for permission to blow it up (which was denied).

The heaviest crane Ellsberg had available that wasn't at the bottom of the harbour could only lift 15 tonnes, and the floating crane weighed about 400, so that was no help. That left a pontoon lift -- fill some pontoons with water, sink them next to the crane, cable them to it, fill them with air and lift it to the surface, then repair it there. But he had no pontoons, either.

What he did have was a bunch of avgas tanks. He did some math and figured each one, if used as a pontoon, would deliver a bit over 100 tonnes of lift, so four of them would probably lift the crane and six definitely would. There was only one problem: the tanks weren't owned by the Navy, but by Shell Oil, and Shell was unlikely to let him bastardize their infrastructure to use as salvage pontoons.

He didn't let that stop him, and just straight up stole six of them and had his team set to work cutting holes in them and running pipes through them and welding on valves and eyelets and the like. And then he called up Shell's man in Cairo; the exact content of the call isn't recorded, but I gather it went something like this:

:monocle: Shell Oil Cairo, who is this?
:yarr: This is Ellsberg on the Navy salvage team out at Massawa. I've been looking over your kit here as part of the salvage op and I had some questions.
:monocle: Oh no! I was under the impression that our equipment had escaped largely unscathed!
:yarr: Oh, it did, it did...well, most of it anyways. There's a half-dozen of your avgas tanks that got pretty badly hosed up in the air raids. Holes punched through them and stuff.
:monocle: Well, that's-
:yarr: You know, though, I've got a bunch of guys I need to keep busy between ships -- you know how it is with these enlisted types -- and I was wondering if you'd mind if I set them to work hauling those tanks down to the waterfront and patching them up. Keeps them out of trouble and the tanks will be waiting for you on the dock when the port re-opens.
:monocle: Oh, that would be wonderful! Thank you!

Four pontoons proved sufficient to lift the crane, and once it was floating under its own power again, he had the salvage team remove all the extra hardware they'd welded to the tanks, patch them up, and leave them on the dock as promised.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That is a great story, but one part lept out at me.

ToxicFrog posted:

( filling one of the boats they were trying to raise with concrete)

how

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hi HBO, I have an idea for a one season historical comedy show. Yeah, sure, I'll hold.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Byzantine posted:

That is a great story, but one part lept out at me.

how

Let me tell you about the salvage of the commercial steamer Gera.

The Gera was sunk by the detonation of two small bombs fore and aft, breaching the hull in both places. McCance -- the leader of the contractors -- planned to re-float her in straightforward fashion: patch both holes, pump the ship full of air and float her into drydock. And for the patches, he opted to use concrete.

Now, this is not in and of itself as bad an idea as it sounds. If the breach is small and the ship is large, the concrete doesn't weigh that much, relatively speaking; and it's often easier (and much safer) to run a tube down to the breach and pour concrete down it than it is to get a team of divers down to weld a metal patch into place. So the concept was sound; the trouble was in the execution.

After nine months of work the patches were finally in place and McCance's team brought in the pumps to raise the ship. Up it came, but it remained low in the water and badly unstable, and no matter how much they pumped they couldn't seem to improve matters.

Ten days later, with no improvement in the situation, he asked to borrow four of Ellsberg's pumps, as his were all failing. Ellsberg lent him some pumps and, within a week, all four of those pumps had quit, too. At this point it became apparent that the reason the pumps were dying was the McCance's team had been cooling them with saltwater, and the coolant channels had all filled with salt deposits. This was the last straw, and the Admiralty cancelled McCance's contract; Ellsberg's team of Navy salvors took over the Gera.

Their investigation revealed that, in addition to destroying many very expensive industrial pumps, McCance et al had also:

- Left the dead pumps scattered all over the deck, so many of them Ellsberg worried that the weight of them might be enough on its own to capsize the ship;
- Used an excess of concrete in making the patches, dramatically increasing the beam of the ship and making it questionable whether it would fit into the dry dock at all;
- Despite that, failed to completely patch the forward hole, and had filled the remaining gap with wood and canvas, which was now being eaten by shipworms and leaking rapidly;
- Poured several hundred tonnes of concrete into seemingly random compartments in the interior of the ship, nowhere near either of the breaches;
- Failed to isolate and drain any of the internal compartments, allowing water to slosh around inside the ship (hence the instability);
- And dumped another 500 tonnes of loose rocks into it as ballast in a (futile) attempt to stabilize it.

Despite that, Ellsberg's team had her in drydock-ready state within a few days, although they had to lower the drydock to two feet below its rated maximum draft and tow the ship into it very, very carefully to avoid ripping open the drydock on the concrete patch sticking out of the Gera's side and sending it to the bottom. They then had to spend a week using tiny, precisely measured dynamite charges to break up the concrete inside the ship before they could start proper repair procedures.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Good lord.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ToxicFrog posted:

The Gera was sunk by the detonation of two small bombs fore and aft, breaching the hull in both places. McCance -- the leader of the contractors -- planned to re-float her in straightforward fashion: patch both holes, pump the ship full of air and float her into drydock. And for the patches, he opted to use concrete.

Now, this is not in and of itself as bad an idea as it sounds.

You can build ships out of concrete. There's an old one beached at Aptos (near Santa Cruz), CA.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Zopotantor posted:

You can build ships out of concrete. There's an old one beached at Aptos (near Santa Cruz), CA.

There's a fishing boat in Florence Oregon that gets made fun of, constantly because the hull is concrete.

It's mostly sitting on the dock and it has problems but it floats.

Thanks Archimedes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nckdictator posted:

Joseph Mitchell’s profiles of 1930s/40s New York City and it’s inhabitants are legitimately amazing

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/1940/04/13/the-old-house-at-home/amp

McSorley’s is still open. The beer is pretty good (they exclusively serve a lager and an ale, both brewed for them) but the service is intentionally surly and occasionally assholish and it gets extremely loud, rowdy, and messy. Go once and then ignore it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Alhazred posted:

If you wanted to buy a slave in Oceania in the 16th century it would cost you 200-300 kauri shells. In the 17th century the market crashed and a slave was now worth 20 000 kauri shells.

Amusingly, the market crashed because of an influx of coinage. The process of cleaning out the shells and drying them for use as currency took quite a lot of time and labour, thereby maintaining an artificial shortage and keeping the value high. Then traders turned up and began buying local goods with their own shells, dumping far more shells into the system than it had ever had to sustain. This triggered hyperinflation.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Skratchez posted:

There's a fishing boat in Florence Oregon that gets made fun of, constantly because the hull is concrete.

It's mostly sitting on the dock and it has problems but it floats.

Thanks Archimedes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Atlantus

The Atlantus was used to transport American troops back home from Europe and also to transport coal in New England.[3] After two years of service, the ship was retired in 1920 to a salvage yard in Virginia.[4]

In 1926, Colonel Jesse Rosenfeld purchased the Atlantus for use in the creation of a ferry dock (for a route now served by the Cape May – Lewes Ferry) out of her and two of her sister ships.[4] The plan was to dig a channel to the shore where the Atlantus would be placed, and the other two ships would be placed in a Y formation, creating a slip for a ferry to dock. In March 1926, the groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the construction of the ferry dock. The Atlantus was repaired and towed to Cape May. On June 8 of the same year, a storm hit and the ship broke free of her moorings and ran aground 150 feet off the coast of Sunset Beach.[3] Several attempts were made to free the ship, but none were successful.[5]

At one time there was a billboard painted on the side of the ship advertising boat insurance

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

One more for the government - Private sector still 0.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

1stGear posted:

Hi HBO, I have an idea for a one season historical comedy show. Yeah, sure, I'll hold.

I'm getting these primarily from the book Marine Salvage: The Unforgiving Business of No Cure, No Pay by Joseph N. Gores, and using just this book you could easily come up with a season's worth of either dramatic tales of iron-hearted sailors wresting entire ships from Poseidon's unforgiving grasp, or farcical ones of the Thirty Stooges trying to raise a sailboat in two meters of water and failing.

Here's another farce: the German tow ship Max Barendt.

The Max had been sunk at Tobruk in 1942 by the RAF, and in 1943, after they gained control of the port, they wanted to raise her for their own use. Port Salvage Officer Jumper Collins was given the task and did it quickly with a concrete patch and compressed air. Unfortunately, he then -- knowing a lot about salvage and not much about engines -- tried to fire up the ship, causing it to make horrible noises and shake alarmingly, and it was evacuated while everyone waited to see if it would explode.

It didn't, and the newly renamed Jumper's Folly was towed to Alexandria for repairs (where it was renamed again, to Captive). There it was given priority, since they desperately needed tugs, and when ready for its shakedown, Peter Keeble, the salvor in charge of it, invited the dockmaster and assorted other officers and officials to join him on the deck for a short cruise.

As Captive cleared the dock, the captain pushed the telegraph to FULL AHEAD and pulled on the whistle lanyard, at which point things started happening very quickly.

First, with a "harsh, high scream as of an enraged eagle", the whistle jettisoned itself from the steampipe and crashed down amid the observers on deck.

The captain immediately pulled the telegraph handle to STOP ENGINES, only for the telegraph chains to snap in a shower of rust. He ran to the speaking tube that connected the bridge to the engine room, only to find it clogged. The Captive was now steaming ahead at top speed with no whistle and no communication between engineering and the bridge.

He sent a runner to the engine room to tell them to stop the ship and turned back to the helm, to discover that the helm had jammed over hard and stuck there; he couldn't budge it, and the Captive was now running in circles.

Another runner was sent down to the deck to deploy the anchor -- which took the entire anchor chain with it, merrily slithering across the deck and into the water, because the ship-side end of it hadn't been properly secured.

Eventually, they got the engines stopped and the Navy tug Respond came out to tow Captive back into dock.

Keeble spent the rest of the day with his dive gear on, working on recovering the Captive's anchor, and coming back up to the surface only when the officers who'd nearly been flattened had spent their wrath on the rest of the salvage team.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1846 there was still no medical consensus about when you could declare someone as dead. This annoyed professor Pietro Manni so much that he arranged a contest to find out when someone was really dead. Some of the suggestion was:
Introducing leeches near the anus.
Applying specially-designed pincers to the nipples.
Piercing the heart with a long needle with a flag at the end, which would wave if the heart were still beating.

Eugene Bouchut won with the idea of "listening to their heart with a stethoscope to hear if their heart is still beating for two minutes". Despite winning doctors were still skeptical against this idea and instead suggested that doctors should stuff a bug into the deceased's ear, stuffing their own fingers into the deceased's ear so that they could hear the blood circulation or making a machine that would stretch out the deceased's tongue for three hours.

Then in 1868 there was a new contest. A barber suggested looking at the hair, another suggested injecting strychnine into the deceased, while a third suggested putting white hot iron on the deceased's temples. The winner was a german professor who suggested that the doctor would scrub the body with a hard brush for a couple of hours. If the skin felt like parchment after this then the person was surely dead.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jun 9, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pretend I posted that tweet about being an old time doctor, just drunk as hell like yeah you got ghosts in your blood, u should do cocaine about it

Before the advent of actual evidence-based medicine, doctors were loving morons

Ignatz Semmelweis, the guy who suggested that maybe washing your hands between dissecting cadavers and helping deliver babies might be the key to cutting down on the number of mothers dying in childbirth was shamed out of the medical profession for daring to suggest that a doctor's hands might be dirty

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Reminds me of Dr.med. & royal Danish physician Philipp Gabriel Hensler's 1770 treatise Anzeige der hauptsächlichsten Rettungsmittel derer, die auf plötzliche Unglücksfälle leblos geworden sind, oder in naher Lebensgefahr schweben (Instruction in the main methods of rescue of those, who by sudden accident have become lifeless, or are even suspended in grave danger to their life), whose method for reviving a drowned person, someone who is choking, stillborn children, etc, was blowing tobacco smoke up their rear end.

The contemporary Danish translation by Dr.med. P.S. Garboe remained the official instruction well into the 1800s, issued to the public district doctors in all of Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

Reminds me of Dr.med. & royal Danish physician Philipp Gabriel Hensler's 1770 treatise Anzeige der hauptsächlichsten Rettungsmittel derer, die auf plötzliche Unglücksfälle leblos geworden sind, oder in naher Lebensgefahr schweben (Instruction in the main methods of rescue of those, who by sudden accident have become lifeless, or are even suspended in grave danger to their life), whose method for reviving a drowned person, someone who is choking, stillborn children, etc, was blowing tobacco smoke up their rear end.

The contemporary Danish translation by Dr.med. P.S. Garboe remained the official instruction well into the 1800s, issued to the public district doctors in all of Denmark.

I think that’s actually where the phrase “blowing smoke up my rear end” came from, when people began doubting that it really worked. It was so accepted as a drowning treatment that many boats carried kits for it.