Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grancheater posted:

I thought the entire second column of seconds was the second seconds, but now I understand they're just the second second's second seconds.

:hmmyes::hf::shuckyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

grancheater posted:

I thought the entire second column of seconds was the second seconds, but now I understand they're just the second second's second seconds.

How sloppy.

A. J. Flint
Jun 5, 2019

grancheater posted:

Seconding this.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Which one is the pedophile?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Which one is the pedophile?

front and center

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
See normally scaling images to represent data points leads to a confusion between length and area which can be misleading, but they've helpfully counteracted that by making it a log scale and making some of the alligators fatter for no apparent reason so nobody knows what the gently caress is going on at all

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What you get out of hacking someone’s SA account I do not understand. Maybe you could hack an admin and permaban all your Posting Enemies?
People reuse their passwords / do minor variations so once you have one account you can gain other stuff like emails or w/e

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Crimpolioni posted:

People reuse their passwords / do minor variations so once you have one account you can gain other stuff like emails or w/e

Jokes on them, even I don't know my SA password.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Furia posted:

I use a password manager and it annoys me when a website’s all like “oh no your password’s too long plz make it 15 characters at most”

Whenever a site does this (or "your password has punctuation in it, please stop") I assume that they're storing the password in cleartext (and most of the time I'm proven right as soon as I ask for a password reset).

Probably in an unauthenticated MySQL database connected directly to the internet, too.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ToxicFrog posted:

Whenever a site does this (or "your password has punctuation in it, please stop") I assume that they're storing the password in cleartext (and most of the time I'm proven right as soon as I ask for a password reset).

Probably in an unauthenticated MySQL database connected directly to the internet, too.

Out of interest. How do you know that they're storing it in cleartext after a reset? Sounds like something that would be handy to know.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Roblo posted:

Out of interest. How do you know that they're storing it in cleartext after a reset? Sounds like something that would be handy to know.

You're sure when they just e-mail you your old password.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roblo posted:

Another indicator is when you create a new password and you're told that it is too similar to an old password.

Complaining that it is identical is okay, but it shouldn't be able to figure out that it's one character off from a previous one.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Definitely seen that before. Do you all raise a big stink when you see that, because the place is potentially leaking people's shared passwords to other services and being a source of ID theft? How do you get attention of the right people

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Definitely seen that before. Do you all raise a big stink when you see that, because the place is potentially leaking people's shared passwords to other services and being a source of ID theft? How do you get attention of the right people

Report them to plaintext offenders. Other than that just avoid using places like that and obviously don’t use a password you use anywhere else.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
If it's a service I care about, I let them know. Most of the time I don't care, because I give them a unique e-mail address and a password not used elsewhere.

You can in principle detect too similar passwords without storing them in cleartext, but that's not what those sites are doing (just store multiple hashes, one for each character of the password, of the password minus that character, for example).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

klafbang posted:

just store multiple hashes, one for each character of the password

:thunk: What could possibly go wrong?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you ever get a warning that your password is too complex, i.e., preventing you from using a password longer than 12 characters or some other limit, don't be afraid to send it to @PWTooStrong

My company got tagged a while back for one of our public facing applications and it was an embarrassment that got corrected.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook at hashes 4 versions of your password, varying the leading caps and capslock

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

:thunk: What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing, it will be both secure and functional, but the explanation was probably not that clear.

Suppose my password is "cat". We store one hash, H, for "cat" and use that for logging in. We store three additional hashes, one for each of the letters, but for the part of the password without that letter. I.e., we store hash h1 for "at", one h2 for "ct", and one h3 for "ca". These are not used for login.

Now, if I change my password to hat, we check it against H to see if I've changed it. That's ok. Then we check the new password minus each character against h1-h3 to see if it is too similar. Removing h we get "at" which collides with h1. For a we get "ht" and for t we get "ha", both of which are fine. We can report there's a collision.

If I can only change my password once I've authenticated, this is no less secure for somebody without access to the hashes. If I have access to hashes, I can crack a one letter shorter password and fill in the missing character. Even if the password is random, this is simpler because as soon as I have a match, I just try filling in the missing character (instead of O(c^n) I get O(c^(n-1) + n*c) = O(c^(n-1))), so I'd need to increase the minimum length by one.

You can argue that I can derive the length of the password from the number of hashes (effectively cutting off another character), but that can be mitigated by concatenating the username and password before hashing and storing all hashes in a single bucket without reference to username.

This will catch changing Company2018 to Company2019, but of course not Company2019 to Company2020 or Summer2019 to Fall2019.

klafbang has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jun 10, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

klafbang posted:

Nothing, it will be both secure and functional, but the explanation was probably not that clear.

Okay then, that's much better than what I was envisioning, which was storing a bunch of individual one-character hashes:

PasswordCharHash[0] = md5sum("c") == 4a8a08f09d37b73795649038408b5f33
PasswordCharHash[1] = md5sum("a") == 0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661
PasswordCharHash[2] = md5sum("t") == e358efa489f58062f10dd7316b65649e

Which is clearly bonkers.

Note: MD5 is used here for brevity but don't use MD5 for any actual thing anymore, ever.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Okay then, that's much better than what I was envisioning, which was storing a bunch of individual one-character hashes:

Note: MD5 is used here for brevity but don't use MD5 for any actual thing anymore, ever.

I also imagined this, which seemed totally nuts... but also perhaps with subtraction, like also saving PasswordCharHash[3] = md5sum("cat") - md5sum("c") == something literally nonsensical. Not enough sleep last night.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah that's what I thought too but it was clearly so stupid I assumed I was wrong. And I was right!

But given that people still store plaintext passwords I figured there may be a nonzero chance I was not mistaken.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember when microsoft announced that they were truncating everyone's skype password to 16 chatactrrs?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Remember when microsoft announced that they were truncating everyone's skype password to 16 chatactrrs?

Hey, at least they announced it.

My brief experience with Games For Windows Live featured the discovery that the website lets you put in basically whatever you want when creating an account, but the in-game client silently truncates the password you enter, with no visual indication that this has happened.

Roblo posted:

Usually it's because I click "forgot password" and they email me my old password.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, at least they announced it.

My brief experience with Games For Windows Live featured the discovery that the website lets you put in basically whatever you want when creating an account, but the in-game client silently truncates the password you enter, with no visual indication that this has happened.

So did Microsoft accounts. It's amazingly dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had a password for a retail website that had an underscore in it.

On day the system choked on my password, wouldn’t even process a reset.

I e-mailed customer service and they very helpfully excised the underscore while leaving the rest of the password intact.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

now THAT'S customer service!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I looked up the e‐mail chain.

It’s worse than I remembered. The reason I couldn’t reset the password was because they didn’t have a reset option. They had a “send password to e‐mail” option.

webmaster@unnamedretailer.com posted:

Dear Valued Customer,

Recently we upgraded the system to enhance the security functions and '#' character won't be accepted anymore.
So I reset your password to 'unnamedretailer' temporarily, so please change it to new one after logging into your account.
We are truly sorry for your inconvenience it may cause you.

Regards,

Kevin Q.
IT Manager

webmaster@unnamedretailer.com posted:

Dear Valued Customer,

I just removed '#' from your password, not changed it to 'unnamedretailer'.
Sorry for your confusion. If you have any other problems, please let me know. Thanks.

Should you have any question, please feel free to email me. Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin Q.
IT Manager

This was in December of 2009.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I looked up the e‐mail chain.

It’s worse than I remembered. The reason I couldn’t reset the password was because they didn’t have a reset option. They had a “send password to e‐mail” option.

This was in December of 2009.

sorry for your confusion

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1138714075817549824

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Famed British dish Chicken Tikka Masala.

That is... brazen.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Chitin posted:

That is... brazen.

It was invented in Britain and is our national dish tyvm

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What kind of incredibly hosed-up dataset generated that chart :catstare:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rR-wqxRjIg

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ToxicFrog posted:

What kind of incredibly hosed-up dataset generated that chart :catstare:

Yougov is an online polling firm. Those results aren't any crazier than their regular political polling, honestly.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Chitin posted:

That is... brazen.

It's not 100% certain, looking online, but it's pretty likely it was invented in England by Indian immigrants tailoring their curries to British tastes. So yes it belongs on that list.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Once I made vegetarian scotch eggs with some fake meat sausage for my vegetarian girlfriend and she still talks about that. I'll have to do that again.

Mind you, I also found a place in town that does poutine with vegetarian gravy and that was apparently a transcendent experience for her, too.

Anyway that poll is garbage.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yorkshire pud is god tier, bangers and mash are top tier, but toad in the hole, which is literally Yorkshire pudding with embedded sausages is mid tier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Yorkshire pud is god tier, bangers and mash are top tier, but toad in the hole, which is literally Yorkshire pudding with embedded sausages is mid tier?

I dunno I tend to feel you get too much hole and not enough toad. Yorkshire's are about right. And you can fill em up with gravy.