Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is there a fan-made trailer that's not too spoilery that would make a good intro for a new viewer? All the official SyFy trailers make the show look kinda lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just watch the first episode and see if you like it

I personally didn't warm up to the show until much later in the season. It took some time for it to find its footing imo

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I've already watched all the episodes, I meant to introduce some new folks. I hope Amazon gives it a bigger marketing budget.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just watch the first episode and see if you like it

I personally didn't warm up to the show until much later in the season. It took some time for it to find its footing imo

up to the escape from the donnager is the standard on ramp, if you're not on board by then the show probably isn't for you.

the recat is kind of funny, though it spoils all of s1 obv

also this looks decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QwBp_da28

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/weschatham/status/1137720132753657856?s=21

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Expense should just hire the now out of work Game of Thrones staff.

Have Jon Snow randomly wandering around in the background..

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

etalian posted:

The Expense should just hire the now out of work Game of Thrones staff.

Have Jon Snow randomly wandering around in the background..

You mean the actors or the writers?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

I think he meant the crew. Although then you'd have random water bottles and Starbucks cups littered all over the background and foreground of every shot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taintrunner posted:

I think he meant the crew. Although then you'd have random water bottles and Starbucks cups littered all over the background and foreground of every shot.

That could sort of be explained away in the Expanse. There'd be random fur cloaks and swords littered over the background

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Taintrunner posted:

Starbucks cups littered all over the background and foreground of every shot.

Kinda believable, given Holden.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
They ever teach you to stow your gear in the navy?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

They ever teach you to stow your gear in the navy?

From what I heard from the sailors I worked with, and just from my experience being around them, the navy is mostly about talking about dicks, being obsessed with dicks, drawing dicks, and putting your dick on things/other people.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cojawfee posted:

Well Kit apparently had a mental breakdown over the importance of his role as Jon Snow and the show ending so maybe wandering aimlessly in space is just what he needs

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

From what I heard from the sailors I worked with, and just from my experience being around them, the navy is mostly about talking about dicks, being obsessed with dicks, drawing dicks, and putting your dick on things/other people.

My question stands. :wink:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully they find some reason to keep Bobby and Avasarala together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdtjCvuHwM

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Dodoman posted:

Hopefully they find some reason to keep Bobby and Avasarala together

I doubt it's going to happen now, since we are way past that point in the story but In the books she ends up hulking behind a tiny desk doing boring bureaucratic work for Avasarala for a while, which she unsurprisingly hates with every fiber of her being.
So I kind of hope not, although I guess it could be played up for comedic value.

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone but the GOT writers. Screw those guys.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 10, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The best show addition is when they're fixing the Cant shuttle and Holden leaves a wrench in the air thinking they're in zero, and it zooms off into space.

Yes I know it's not air. But there's no other way to phrase it.

Apparently this is a common problem among astronauts when they return to Earth. They drop things all the time because they're so used to the things just staying there.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Taintrunner posted:

I'd definitely get a kick out of seeing a fluid coffee bulb with a Starbucks logo on it, we got plenty of mugs but haven't really seen too many examples of fluid bags for drinking stuff on the float. You know, aside from the obvious one that's referenced in the thread title.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently this is a common problem among astronauts when they return to Earth. They drop things all the time because they're so used to the things just staying there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxaL8CAO4M

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

NowonSA posted:

I'd definitely get a kick out of seeing a fluid coffee bulb with a Starbucks logo on it, we got plenty of mugs but haven't really seen too many examples of fluid bags for drinking stuff on the float. You know, aside from the obvious one that's referenced in the thread title.
Interestingly enough, you can actually drink coffee from a cup in zero g. It just has to be the correct shape.
https://youtu.be/UvUd4D3pjlU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Can confirm.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

So they recruit from TEST?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The look on his face when he doesn't find the object is easily worth any money that's been put into manned space missions so far

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I like how he looks up because it's probably floating towards the roof obv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think this video is satire, but there are real stories of it. One astronaut returning in the 80s said that on the van ride back from the runway he was asked to pass someone a cup of juice. So he just threw it at his face.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Sorry guys I’m an idiot and need to pay attention better when I’m watching TV.

Anyway instead of Starbucks cups they should* have Amazon Prime boxes laying around on set.

*no they shouldn’t

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

One astronaut returning in the 80s said that on the van ride back from the runway he was asked to pass someone a cup of juice. So he just threw it at his face.

:roflolmao:

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this video is satire, but there are real stories of it. One astronaut returning in the 80s said that on the van ride back from the runway he was asked to pass someone a cup of juice. So he just threw it at his face.

He claims that's the reason anyway. Really just wanted to throw something at the dude.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry guys I’m an idiot and need to pay attention better when I’m watching TV.

Anyway instead of Starbucks cups they should* have Amazon Prime boxes laying around on set.

*no they shouldn’t

maybe they'll have fedex shipping containers lying around.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

crazysim posted:

maybe they'll have fedex shipping containers lying around.

Already got that, pampa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qp4InlnUI&t=158s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think that was the joke

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I think that was the joke

I dunno, after the whole "wait, is Amos trans?" thing, I'm not giving anyone itt the benefit of the doubt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I dunno, after the whole "wait, is Amos trans?" thing, I'm not giving anyone itt the benefit of the doubt.

Hi, I can't believe no-one's commented on the Razorback's protomolecule engine!

Julie must have known the protomolecule beforehand!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

double nine posted:

Actually, this ties into one of my visual complaints about the show - the design, and colouring of the protomolecule is basically indistinct from all other technology in the show. It makes shots like the Agatha King infested with it really underwhelming, because that establishing shot could basically just be showing a reactor leak or something.

In general I think the execution of the protomolecule from a visual standpoint is the shows biggest weak point.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double nine posted:

IF i've learned anything from Space Engineers it's that blue means Ion Engine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PriorMarcus posted:

In general I think the execution of the protomolecule from a visual standpoint is the shows biggest weak point.
Too bad for the zombie craze over the last decade. Otherwise following the style of the books would have been an option.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

They could have cut the vomit zombies and still done the sinewy black filaments lovecraftian body horror stuff with the protomolecule. I'm still a bit puzzled that they went so oddly generic with it. It could have been so much scarier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, in the books the PM was literally constructing things out of body parts. In the show it's blue fireflies :geno:

When the hell is season 4 happening?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Svaha posted:

They could have cut the vomit zombies and still done the sinewy black filaments lovecraftian body horror stuff with the protomolecule. I'm still a bit puzzled that they went so oddly generic with it. It could have been so much scarier.
Black filaments would be hard to see in the dark of space. Making them look like actual repurposed flesh would be good and creepy, but it'd be hard not to have it look really bad and fake.

I think making them glowy wasn't a bad call. It's visible, and slapping some glow effects distracts from the TV budget CG flesh textures.

Having it be the exact same glowy color as the drives... yeah. Maybe that wasn't the best call. Maybe red would have worked.

Or split the difference and make it more fleshy, but have it glow diffuse red like when you put your finger over a flashlight. Like there's something hot or bright inside the creepy flesh stuff. You could imply bones or other internal structures with dark patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the blue glow comes from the books, so they would have been better off recoloring the ship reactor.