Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm just starting over anyway, I'm surprised you can continue Heartland with the main character dying.

in my very first sod game I had just gotten to the point where you unlock ed after curing his plague, so I figured 'cool! new dude who kicks stuff, let's try him out'

marcus turns around to run back to the base, a juggernaut pops out from behind a tree and just rips him in two.

totally thought it was a scripted event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
how good are shotguns against juggernauts in everyone's experience? i know it's best to shoot them in the head and i aim in that general direction when a shotgun is all i've got but i'm not sure how actually effective that is relative to other options.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
All guns are good against juggies because you fire one bullet to get them to come at you and then you own them with a low level scrub equipped with a crowbar, or nothing.

For anyone on the fence about this game, MS is selling 1 month access to their xbox game pass ultimate for 1$. Gives you access to SoD2 + Heartland. There's also a big library of other games to try but this thread isn't about that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?wa=wsignin1.0&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I almost got owned in the first 5 minutes by that blood feral because I screwed up my shot

the new characters own so far

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the correct kinds of shotguns work perfectly well against juggs, the real question is what you have in reserve to feed the guns and what your expectations are on resupply. i like 5.56 and 7.64 because they go in good damage guns and the bullets are common enough for me to bring into the field and expect to be able to resupply on-site. 12g is more rare in terms of OSP so i don't like to carry a shotgun as much.

in Daybreak all the new guns use the same CLEO ammo, but the ammo does vastly different damage depending on the gun it is in. it can fit into an SMG and an anti-material rifle just as comfortably, but the AMR is obviously going to leave a much bigger impression on a jugg than the SMG. the up side to this is that because of this you can carry a lot of CLEO ammo in one inventory slot versus its mundane brother, the .50 BMG.

Zigmidge posted:

All guns are good against juggies because you fire one bullet to get them to come at you and then you own them with a low level scrub equipped with a crowbar, or nothing.
do not do this against blood juggs. they don't need to directly hit you to leave an impression, since just the shockwave of their attacks will make you very sick, very fast.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat I thought I had a vid of it but I guess I'll try to get one tonight

Trying to melee a new age jugg will own you hard

the aoe has a pretty big radius around the juggernaut

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Coolguye posted:

do not do this against blood juggs. they don't need to directly hit you to leave an impression, since just the shockwave of their attacks will make you very sick, very fast.

Sure, but also get your friends to play this fun game for a dollar

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i learned it very painfully in daybreak. daybreak puts you in control of some pretty badass bitches with unique cheaty red talon skills and badass red talon gear and blood juggs will still gently caress you.

i realize i'm making this sound really dramatic but it's precisely because this game usually isn't that hard and usually is very low stress that i do so: do not step to a blood jugg. do not try to style on a blood jugg. do not screw around with a blood jugg. it will rock you.

make a takedown plan and do not fight fair.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the blood juggs would be way scarier if they wore daisy dukes

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how much free roam poo poo is there in this? is there a mode like breakdown in 2?

oh i missed this post

1) there is a lot of free roam, it's like 90%+ of the game. there's not a huge amount of mission variety but the individual places you go to tend to be just different enough to make each mission a little different. if you played SoD1 it's generally an improvement over that but it's an iterative improvement, not a revolution.
2) not directly but the game gets harder in terms of more zombies and worse types the more time elapses on a specific map. if you want a harder game, simply ignore the primary map objectives and let time go by. by day 15 you will notice the heat is definitely turned up, and by day 30 poo poo is extremely real.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it took me a second to realize what had happened
https://i.imgur.com/3ucab2d.gifv

also i thought quincy was talking about the blood jugg at first
https://i.imgur.com/Vz998kL.gifv

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I keep meaning to ask, how do you get such good GIFs? Is it something through Xbox?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Xbox One X let's me do 4k recordings and imgur gifv is pretty snazzy because the clip never needs to be long and doesn't usually require sound

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

new player to 2 i played the poo poo out of one

i am struggling!

i keep getting bogged down in sidequests and none of them seem worth it anyway in retrospect and the other groups are so goddamn needy and whiny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if your overall goal is to just finish the map you have two primary objectives: kill all the plague hearts and bring a purpose to the town by establishing a leader.

killing plague hearts is intimidating until you get an attack plan that works for you. in my case, i prefer about 50 rounds of 7.64 and two noisemakers. drop the first noisemaker as you get close enough to the heart that the ambient zombies start stepping to you. run past them, find the plague heart, start unloading. if the zombies start coming back, break off the attack, leave through the back door, and throw the second noisemaker. then return and finish the plague heart. all the ambient zombies will die with the plague heart when it goes.

bringing purpose to the town is generally quite easy and requires simply following instructions for a bit. you will almost certainly have to fight other humans as part of the end game, though, so pack accordingly.

the subgoals to that typically look something like this:

- Get 5-6k prestige. this covers a good base that can hold whatever buildings you want and incidentals like rucksacks, ammo, books, noisemakers, etc that you find on traders. killing a few plague hearts early really helps with this.
- Fill out your community. It softcaps pretty small at 9 people, but the extra labor and skills you get between 4 people and 9 is big. Note that since your pool is so small, keeping useless idiots around is not a great idea.
- Refine skills for your community. Skills build pretty quick in this game versus SoD1 but they are extremely important. use the gyms to build up what you can.
- Equip your survivors. One of the things to realize is that after you beat the map, you will be able to use ANYONE from your community in a new map, and whatever they were carrying when you beat the map is what they will bring into the new map, regardless of whether or not they were active at the time. So loading people up with a weapon that suits them, a gun you like using, ammo to feed it, mechanical and electronic parts, any consumables or add-ons you find useful, etc is kind of worth doing. note that you will be 'heroing' out 9-ish survivors but will only be able to select 3 for the new map, so don't feel you need to overdo this if you don't want to.

other survivor enclaves only matter insofar as they help you achieve these goals, because the second you hero out of a map they are gone and do not affect you anymore. very, very few survivor enclaves will provide you direct aid for your primary goals; there's one or two that will provide a radio call to drop bombs or medical supplies for you that can be useful when you trip over a plague heart half-prepared, but that's it. there are quite a number of survivor enclaves that can help your subgoals, though, so keep a clear head on what those subgoals are and honestly ask yourself if these people are helping you achieve your ends. if they're not, gently caress 'em.

most of the sidequests are useful, though, in that they give prestige. you will notice a real sea change when you hit about 4k liquid prestige and move into a big base with lots of space and resources. all of a sudden you have the labor to do whatever you want and a deep enough roster that even if a bunch of people get mauled and exhausted you always have a fresh body to inhabit. your main option for getting prestige outside of sidequests is looting a ton of places and selling all the bullshit to the next trader or dumping it on the enclave down the street. this is a good tactic for anything you don't really intend to use. i personally have zero use for pistols and bolt action rifles, for example, so all of them get pawned to the first sucker i come across in order to get me the prestige i need to upgrade my base and buy weapons, ammo, and parts that i'm actually going to use.

e: also if you want someone to roll with and cover your back while you get used to the game i still love to play this game co-op.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 11, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I died again in Heartland to a Feral that snuck in while Mickey and I were fighting a Juggernaut and a horde. I think maybe I'll go back to the regular game and wait for Trumbull to get turned into a regular map.

... at least I hope they do. I also wish you could set up multiple bases, with each of them having a unique thing they provide to the group as a whole.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the ai is dumber in Trumbull

My team keeps getting owned because they like to just stand next to juggs and stare at me, wondering what they should do

Last night there was a blood jugg in the base and I had to keep running to my stash and grabbing a gun and ammo as quick as I could before the jugg would smash me. I'd unload into him until the gun broke and then I'd have to do it again. Malik kept falling off his stand and climbing back up the ladder the whole time and I never heard anything from the sniper tower I built

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Do any of you use OBS with SoD2? It's not recording sound for me in just that game.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it feels like it's always winter in this game and the sun is only out for 25% of the day

https://i.imgur.com/PAy64z2.gifv

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah I hate how dark it is, always. Sure it's a zombie game but no one plays this for horror, I want to be able to see what I'm doing.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah I hate how dark it is, always. Sure it's a zombie game but no one plays this for horror, I want to be able to see what I'm doing.
You know you can adjust gamma in the video settings, right?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My gamma in the game was already up in that gif and it's still dark as hell but yeah okay

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It was not uncommon for me to finish up what I was doing at night and then just drive/hide somewhere safe and go make food or something for a while until it got lighter outside.

Would really like some kind of sleep mechanic to skip past nighttime unless they're going to add some sort of advantage like Cataclysm where enemies also have trouble seeing you at night

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The only good thing about night time is highlighting all the question marks from a tower

I'm fine with things being spoopy sometimes but the night cycle seems way too long compared to the day cycle

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

The only good thing about night time is highlighting all the question marks from a tower

I'm fine with things being spoopy sometimes but the night cycle seems way too long compared to the day cycle

It's not even a spoopy issue it's a "I had to put my laptop at a weird angle to see anything" issue

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I agree

Especially when my headlights bust all the time

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

This just highlights my main issue with most day/night cycle games, the night just isn't fun. I get for "realism" purposes that they do it, but i don't think i've ever played an open world game with a day/night cycle where i enjoyed the nighttime. I wish most games would have an option to just turn it off

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I want an option to leave the headlights on and the car running so I can see inside a goddamn barn

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DoubleT2172 posted:

This just highlights my main issue with most day/night cycle games, the night just isn't fun. I get for "realism" purposes that they do it, but i don't think i've ever played an open world game with a day/night cycle where i enjoyed the nighttime. I wish most games would have an option to just turn it off

Honestly same, the only game were I didn't mind nighttime is BotW because they werent trying to be realistic about it and the game isn't really that much darker. Otherwise, when I would play like Oblivion I would just rest through the night every time

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

I want an option to leave the headlights on and the car running so I can see inside a goddamn barn

Ive wanted that for so long.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Does the game have moon cycles? I'd be up for total darkness at night in the fourth week of the game

Give me moon daddy for that first week, especially in blood plague valley

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The darkness is great and fine, gamers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

perhaps we should consider it the dudeness instead

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Gamers complaining about darkness like it isn't their natural loving habitat smdh

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/8AS5chA.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/fTUcCo1.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/jy6IbDQ.gifv

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

moist turtleneck posted:

Nah, that would be too useful, like boarding up windows. Nobody would use it, apparently?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Just got Daybreak and while I agree that it focuses on all the wrong things as a 10$ expansion, it is still fun as gently caress to have a focused 'just wreck zombies' mode with some interesting gear to do it with. Even on the most difficult mode home invasions, plague hearts and infestations are over too quickly and this provides a good 20 minute slaughter that those cannot.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Any mods for this one yet? I had a mod that increased the horde size in the first one by like 30x and it was super rad.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Just got Daybreak and while I agree that it focuses on all the wrong things as a 10$ expansion, it is still fun as gently caress to have a focused 'just wreck zombies' mode with some interesting gear to do it with. Even on the most difficult mode home invasions, plague hearts and infestations are over too quickly and this provides a good 20 minute slaughter that those cannot.

i have an absolute shitload of fun with Daybreak, the bonuses i get in the main campaign are honestly just gravy. i'd play it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I think with this being the weird Microsoft store application this time it is hard/impossible to mod