Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

SardonicTyrant posted:

Man, I'm not looking forward to (super spoiler)taking out the warp core from Ash Twin and bringing it to Dark Bramble. It's bad enough you have to wait half the loop to warp to the core, then you have to navigate the single worst spot in the entire game (those three anglerfish)

The eject button is your friend. It took me less than a minute to traverse that section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Yeah, but if you screw up, you have to wait around ten real-life minutes to try again.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I've just tried and CheatEngine works pretty well if you want to speed up the game.

Thanks for the tip! Without this I don't know if I would have made the final run.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I don't see why so many people have trouble with the angler fish on the way to the Vessel. You don't have to be especially careful or anything, just gun the engine as much as you can before entering the danger node and then don't touch the controls until you've safely drifted past the assholes. The sequence is a bit unnerving maybe, but requires no actual finesse whatsoever.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

Yeah, but if you screw up, you have to wait around ten real-life minutes to try again.

Speaking of which, the solution to that puzzle didn't really make sense to me even after I figured it out. There are hints enough that that particular warp core is the key, but why do you have to wait for the column of sand to pass over it to be teleported downwards into the core? That doesn't seem consistent with the rules of how teleporters work in the game. Was there some writing somewhere that hinted that this particular teleporter would work this way?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Triarii posted:

Speaking of which, the solution to that puzzle didn't really make sense to me even after I figured it out. There are hints enough that that particular warp core is the key, but why do you have to wait for the column of sand to pass over it to be teleported downwards into the core? That doesn't seem consistent with the rules of how teleporters work in the game. Was there some writing somewhere that hinted that this particular teleporter would work this way?

Ember needs to be overhead, same as all the others.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

KoB posted:

Ember needs to be overhead, same as all the others.

You're not going to Ember, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

The interior of the Ash Twin Project is spinning at the same speed. The warp cores and Ember Twin just so happen to line up at the same time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

The interior of the Ash Twin Project is spinning at the same speed. The warp cores and Ember Twin just so happen to line up at the same time.

I thought about that but the core is spinning way faster than Ember is orbiting. The warp cores are probably lining up every 10-15 seconds.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So is the only reason to go to the Quantum Moon is to find the sixth location and talk to the guy there?

Seems to me you don't really need to go there to solve the game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

SardonicTyrant posted:

Man, I'm not looking forward to (super spoiler)taking out the warp core from Ash Twin and bringing it to Dark Bramble. It's bad enough you have to wait half the loop to warp to the core, then you have to navigate the single worst spot in the entire game (those three anglerfish)

The bit that kept loving me up was that drifting directly forward took me between an angler's lantern and body, and I was convinced my ship wouldn't fit (turns out it did but it was terrifying)

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

theblackw0lf posted:

So is the only reason to go to the Quantum Moon is to find the sixth location and talk to the guy there?

Seems to me you don't really need to go there to solve the game.

It gets you a piano accompaniment in the epilogue campfire song!

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Triarii posted:

I didn't really get it either, but in hindsight there's some writing in Black Hole Forge that says that there are six warp cores but only five alignments, and then someone else says that's not a mistake and to check the chart of towers. Pretty sure that's meant to be your hint that the Ember and Ash warps share an alignment.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zandar posted:

I didn't really get it either, but in hindsight there's some writing in Black Hole Forge that says that there are six warp cores but only five alignments, and then someone else says that's not a mistake and to check the chart of towers. Pretty sure that's meant to be your hint that the Ember and Ash warps share an alignment.

I thought that was a reference to the final core being used for the Ash Twin Project?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The teleporters do use six warp cores, though. If they'd been talking about the Ash Core, they would have been confused about a seventh. Also, it seemed like everyone was pretty clear about what the special core was for when they were making it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Me, a dunce, a goofus, a complete fool: Ok, I took out the core for the ash twin project, whoops, I hear the countdown song, guess I took too long, might as well watch the supernova.

Why is it taking so long.

Ok there we go-

YOU ARE DEAD *credits*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
We choose to go to the Moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Just bought this on recommendation of the thread and a friend. Fantastic purchase. I've been grinning for the last 20 minutes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Going to the moon was easy. It's not far so you can't even build up good cockpit-cracking momentum before slamming into it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Zachack posted:

Going to the moon was easy. It's not far so you can't even build up good cockpit-cracking momentum before slamming into it.

I wonder if they have analytics for average number of spaceship parts broken upon players' first contact with Brittle Hollow.

For me it was 3

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I landed safely on Brittle Hollow, and got the absolute poo poo scared out of me the second a meteor slammed into it two feet from me(I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not).

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 12, 2019

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Is removing the warp core a point of no return? I want to make sure I've seen and done everything before I take it out and possibly end the cycle!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well, that was annoying. I feel like I have a really hard time making anything that seems like progress and its frustrating for an otherwise super cool game.

I was on Giant's Deep and just finished the puzzles in the quantum tower there. As I was on my way back to my ship, the game crashed. Does the game need to "trigger" anything there somehow or am I good just having that knowledge?

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...

Sankis posted:

Well, that was annoying. I feel like I have a really hard time making anything that seems like progress and its frustrating for an otherwise super cool game.

I was on Giant's Deep and just finished the puzzles in the quantum tower there. As I was on my way back to my ship, the game crashed. Does the game need to "trigger" anything there somehow or am I good just having that knowledge?

As long as your brain meats keeps the info you learned from it you're fine.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sankis posted:

You might lose the ship log entry for it but I am pretty sure it's just the knowledge you need. It's just there to teach/remind you about the observation rules with quantum objects that will come in handy when you want to get to the quantum moon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ziji posted:

Is removing the warp core a point of no return? I want to make sure I've seen and done everything before I take it out and possibly end the cycle!

If you die after taking the core, the game will let you reload at the start of that loop. It's just like dying before you activate the statue in the observatory.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ugh. Started getting this really bad problem where Outer Wilds freezes. I can play for about 5 minutes but then the game freezes, then minimizes, but acts like the game is still full screened and the sounds and menus continue I'm looking at my desktop, not the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So glad that the Epic Game store doesn't have a community forum where people could share their experiences. That definitely wouldn't be useful right now.

Because I have literally found zero people mentioning this problem online.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I found some information in Ember Twin about how anglerfish are blind. Is there more to learn about avoiding them or is that all I'm going to get? Dark Bramble terrifies the poo poo out of me and I'd rather not spend any more time there than I have to.

As far as I can tell, my objective on Dark Bramble is twofold: find the escape pod, and fire a scout into the seed on Timber Hearth and then use it to guide me to some kind of anglerfish skeleton. Hopefully I'm not missing anything else.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
You don't need to fire your scout into the seed on timber hearth. Just find the escape pod in Dark Bramble and go from there, you'll know what to do.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mordiceius posted:

So glad that the Epic Game store doesn't have a community forum where people could share their experiences. That definitely wouldn't be useful right now.

Because I have literally found zero people mentioning this problem online.

Try asking on the subreddit.

One thing to try is turning off the Epic Store overlay.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I found some information in Ember Twin about how anglerfish are blind. Is there more to learn about avoiding them or is that all I'm going to get? Dark Bramble terrifies the poo poo out of me and I'd rather not spend any more time there than I have to.

As far as I can tell, my objective on Dark Bramble is twofold: find the escape pod, and fire a scout into the seed on Timber Hearth and then use it to guide me to some kind of anglerfish skeleton. Hopefully I'm not missing anything else.

The seed on Timber Hearth is really just a tutorial--there to tell you "hey them Dark Bramblies are bigger on the inside, and also you can track signals through them."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 13, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Time And Relative Thistles In Space

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

You know it's kind of hilarious to me that the dark bramble seed on timber is actually a threat to the whole planet and will destroy it if left alone, but it doesn't matter at all cause the sun is about to blow up anyways.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

oath2order posted:

You know it's kind of hilarious to me that the dark bramble seed on timber is actually a threat to the whole planet and will destroy it if left alone, but it doesn't matter at all cause the sun is about to blow up anyways.

It kinda looks like there's a new bramble in the after credits scene

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Change channels on your radio tracker. It helps with Dark Bramble.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Since I haven't seen anybody mention it, you can mark locations you have already been through the log on your ship and it will highlight them on the map and your screen

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Just finished it. Great game, with some minor flaws.

Trying to figure out the Twins was pretty frustrating at times. The final run with warp core through Dark Bramble suuuuuuuucked. Minor niggles though.

Also why doesn't our intrepid hero get an instrument :colbert:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man, I'm really sad after finishing this. Partly because of how good it is and how I'll probably never play anything like it again and also because what a bittersweet ending! Even after all that I was powerless to stop the inevitable. Not to mention what is revealed about the Nomai throughout the course of the game.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sankis posted:

Man, I'm really sad after finishing this. Partly because of how good it is and how I'll probably never play anything like it again and also because what a bittersweet ending! Even after all that I was powerless to stop the inevitable. Not to mention what is revealed about the Nomai throughout the course of the game.

If you haven't already played it, the exploration in Subnautica has a very similar feel (except it's like you're in the Dark Bramble 90% of the time)

Its story is mostly just a basic "get off this planet you crash-landed on," though, instead of...everything going on here.