Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Glad I'm not the only one who went from drat a five speed to oh poo poo a loving hearse when I checked the listings this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
While there have been some cool ones posted here, I haven't really felt like I needed a little kei van as much as when I came across this pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dphi posted:

While there have been some cool ones posted here, I haven't really felt like I needed a little kei van as much as when I came across this pic

Awesome.

Speaking of kei vans and awesome:

The more I look at this goofy factory-body-kit van I get more and more excited. This was one of the first kei vans I had seen back when I learned about kei vans. It is on Wikipedia's Suzuki Every page is why I saw it so early when I was researching.
This one is the "best" version as it is full-time AWD. Shares a lot of mechanicals with other turbo Suzukis of the time, namley Jimnys and Cappuccinos. Turbo charged, intercooled, 5 speed manual, AWD, and "Aero-Tuned". It is quite dirty, has a bit of paint missing on its forehead and has a couple of small scratches but no dents, no corrosion. Tires are trash but you can bag "high performance" summer 12s on Amazon in the USA for 35 bucks a pop, it's what Carry truck has on it, they are extremely good. Besides, 35 goddamned dollars! The wheels themselves are straight OEM Cappuccino wheels, alloys WITH the center caps, direct from factory. Hell yes.

Mechanically it's excellent though there is some confusion I'm working with Yoshi on about if the AC works. The way the HVAC controls are set in the pictures above means the AC will never kick on, it has to be on the arrow-bending-back-on-itself (aka 're-circulation') has to be selected. The port inspector guy (totally separate from normal inspector reports, only done because I blind-bought this van) says it 'works' but doesn't blow cold. I have a 91 Carry (the kei truck to this Every kei van) so I was out messing with it. The engine bay pictures also show the compressor not spinning as that alternator is blurry as gently caress, and the front of the compressor should also be blurry if it is spinning. Plus, there is a little green LED that lights up in the 'AC' switch if it were running.

Besides that AC thing (might work great if that switch gets flipped left) it's in good shape, lots of maintenance stickers all over the side of the dashboard and on the engine. 136,000 km is listed as the mileage, the odometer has been rolled once, giving a mileage of 85,000 miles. An easy white repaint, some new decals, deep clean, new tires, whatever immediate maintenance it needs, should be set to cruise the streets in this tiny factory-tuned van.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 11, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seeing Japanese workmen here on a regular basis, I'm not that surprised by the thick layer of cigarette ash, I'm just surprised nobody took 2 seconds to run it over with a wet wipe.

I've gotta say though, I do love late 80's Japanese dashboard design, where they just put a bunch of buttons around the gauge cluster.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dphi posted:

I feel like I'm in a Tim Burton film or something.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Seeing Japanese workmen here on a regular basis, I'm not that surprised by the thick layer of cigarette ash, I'm just surprised nobody took 2 seconds to run it over with a wet wipe.

I've gotta say though, I do love late 80's Japanese dashboard design, where they just put a bunch of buttons around the gauge cluster.

Every ~third car I have inspected is covered with ash or tar, they love to hotbox their vehicles I guess. I smoked two packs a day for years, most of that in the car, but I always had the window open and I can't say I ever left a tar residue.

So glad I quit though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

1hz? Hell yeah I bet that thing is a rocket. A tippy rocket. :getin:

Ive Never heard the words "1HZ" and "Rocket" used together before.

They're a god drat tractor engine, will lug along until the heat death of the universe but dont dare point them at a hill!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Mechanically it's excellent though there is some confusion I'm working with Yoshi on about if the AC works. The way the HVAC controls are set in the pictures above means the AC will never kick on, it has to be on the arrow-bending-back-on-itself (aka 're-circulation') has to be selected. The port inspector guy (totally separate from normal inspector reports, only done because I blind-bought this van) says it 'works' but doesn't blow cold. I have a 91 Carry (the kei truck to this Every kei van) so I was out messing with it. The engine bay pictures also show the compressor not spinning as that alternator is blurry as gently caress, and the front of the compressor should also be blurry if it is spinning. Plus, there is a little green LED that lights up in the 'AC' switch if it were running.

Besides that AC thing (might work great if that switch gets flipped left) it's in good shape, lots of maintenance stickers all over the side of the dashboard and on the engine. 136,000 km is listed as the mileage, the odometer has been rolled once, giving a mileage of 85,000 miles. An easy white repaint, some new decals, deep clean, new tires, whatever immediate maintenance it needs, should be set to cruise the streets in this tiny factory-tuned van.

Every Japanese car I've ever dealt with, the only thing required to activate AC is to push the "AC" button, fresh or recirc air source shouldn't matter, nor should the outlet vents selected. It's one of the things I really appreciated versus the American standard of "AC out of the dash vents only, gently caress you" approach. Sometimes I want to cool my legs and feet you jerks. Our Kia is the same. Korean, but seems to follow a lot of Japanese auto practices.
Super cool van, regardless.

On the Mazda Cosmos, I'm confused by the listing for the second one (the dark colored one). It says both "turbo" and "20B". I thought the 20B cars were NA. The two-rotor cars were 13B-RE turbo (slightly different from the RX-7 13B-REW.)

edit: I am wrong. The 20B was twin-turbo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Cosmo#Series_JC_(Eunos_Cosmo,_1990%E2%80%931996)
Also, while I would prefer a JC Cosmo, an '81-'89 HB Cosmo would be sweet.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 12, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I thought my Prado A/C didn't work, turns out there was a second, smaller knob under the top one that turned it on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

Every Japanese car I've ever dealt with, the only thing required to activate AC is to push the "AC" button, fresh or recirc air source shouldn't matter, nor should the outlet vents selected. It's one of the things I really appreciated versus the American standard of "AC out of the dash vents only, gently caress you" approach. Sometimes I want to cool my legs and feet you jerks. Our Kia is the same. Korean, but seems to follow a lot of Japanese auto practices.
Super cool van, regardless.

On the Mazda Cosmos, I'm confused by the listing for the second one (the dark colored one). It says both "turbo" and "20B". I thought the 20B cars were NA. The two-rotor cars were 13B-RE turbo (slightly different from the RX-7 13B-REW.)

edit: I am wrong. The 20B was twin-turbo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Cosmo#Series_JC_(Eunos_Cosmo,_1990%E2%80%931996)
Also, while I would prefer a JC Cosmo, an '81-'89 HB Cosmo would be sweet.

They went out and tested the AC again, flipped the switch to recirculate, kicked on. Is weak, but everything is working. I've got R-12 here so just having them send it.
I don't know why these Suzukis have the AC like that. Like I said I went out in our Carry and messed with it, figured out that the AC light, compressor and electric fan all turn off if the AC switch isn't on recirculate. Doesn't matter how anything else is set, if that switch isn't on recirculate the AC is not on. The controls are identical between our Carry and this Every is how I deduced.

everdave posted:

I thought my Prado A/C didn't work, turns out there was a second, smaller knob under the top one that turned it on.

Yeah and to add to this, 70 series/Prados don't even have an AC button, they have the fan speed knob and a separate little switchy knob around the fan controls that you also have to rotate to get the AC on.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Better yet, the day I found that little knob was the day before I shipped it to California. I sold it as a/c not working luckily I made a mint on it.

Spent a few hours last night cleaning the Delica got to get this one up for sale. By far this has been the grimiest one I’ve got so far, but just 24k confirmed miles. It’s fun to drive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

They went out and tested the AC again, flipped the switch to recirculate, kicked on. Is weak, but everything is working. I've got R-12 here so just having them send it.
I don't know why these Suzukis have the AC like that. Like I said I went out in our Carry and messed with it, figured out that the AC light, compressor and electric fan all turn off if the AC switch isn't on recirculate. Doesn't matter how anything else is set, if that switch isn't on recirculate the AC is not on. The controls are identical between our Carry and this Every is how I deduced.

Huh. Suzuki be weird, I guess. Definitely not intuitive.

quote:

Yeah and to add to this, 70 series/Prados don't even have an AC button, they have the fan speed knob and a separate little switchy knob around the fan controls that you also have to rotate to get the AC on.

Speaking of not intuitive...
Wonder why they didn't just put the AC button in the middle of the fan knob, like Mazada did on the '79-83 RX-7?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

My best guess would be that given the vintage of the design and the (tiny) size of all components, the AC is reasonably only functional in recirculate mode.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone purchased form Tradecarview? More importantly has anyone done a third party inspection for something listed on there? Looking at a newer low-kms Mazda 2 since I live in kiwiland and don't have to worry about 25 year ruling, but still want to make sure I'm not getting a complete lemon. Prices seem reasonable, like 600-800 USD for a 2010 model, so I can't see it go cheaper at auction + factor in auction fees etc..

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That’s cos the landcruisers not only have variable fan speed, they also have variable. AC intensity

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The 5 speed Crown hearse sold for $730

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My relatively recent Suzuki Swift (my2005) requires me to have the fan at least on step one to turn on the aircon, if the fan is off you can press the button but it won’t activate. Air output is irrelevant tho.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Took a deposit on the Domingo. Dude is planning on driving it from Florida to Michigan, I...don't know how I feel about that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is going to be an adventure :getin:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You've got to get the car home somehow

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Took a deposit on the Domingo. Dude is planning on driving it from Florida to Michigan, I...don't know how I feel about that.

Guy and his wife wanted to drive the Prado from Nashville to Northern California. I convinced him to split shipping with me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
He didn't seem swayed by my suggestions so, well, have at it guy!

Struck out twice tonight:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, timing belt sticker at 95737km, aftermarket parts, inspection records, spare key, ceiling liner seats and interior panels torn, carpet burns, mirrors scratched, aftermarket steering wheel, wheels corrosion, slightly oily, small chips in windshield, undercarriage dents scratches and surface rust, aftermarket air filter, other dents scratches paint waves uneven paint

Inspector posted:

engine starts ok, slight vibrations at idle, revs ok, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 95737km, no sludge, coolant ok, oil pan area slightly oily but not dripping, front tires at 70%, rear tires worn, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage/wheel wells/fenders slight surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat 10cm x3 tears, other seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner loose and needs replacement, ac ok, clutch ok maybe aftermarket?, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, timing belt changed, inspection records, seats torn 10cm, mirror paint peeling, undercarriage painted, other dents scratches

Inspector posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, slight tappet noise, no timing belt sticker, oil ok, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires at 90%, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarraige painted but does not appear to hide rust, boots ok, body as is in diagram, drivers seat 10cm tear on door side, passenger seat ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok but headlights yellowing, windows ok, wipers ok, no leaks from roof

The Alto Works was nice looking, and the RS/R model so AWD, but it's hard to price those since their previously sold prices are all over, missed it by around $300. The Cappo though I knew I was low-balling but it is worth what the got it for. Maintenance history, low mileage but probably the original timing belt.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What did that Cappo sell for? It was on my short list that is the closest I’ve been to bidding on one, that looked like a good one. Was just comparing sold prices on BAT and they all topped out around $6k so I didn’t bid. If I was after a personal one that one looked very nice and honest.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

What did that Cappo sell for? It was on my short list that is the closest I’ve been to bidding on one, that looked like a good one. Was just comparing sold prices on BAT and they all topped out around $6k so I didn’t bid. If I was after a personal one that one looked very nice and honest.

I stopped using BaT as any sort of barometer as I don't think that clientele is as learned as I originally thought. Case in point, our Rugger topped out at $8,100, yet I sold it for our asking price privately. You can even read the comments on that auction and there are a few people almost-lecturing me about my reserve being too high for various reasons. For things like GTRs and other 'known' vehicles I think that is still a good place to go, but if you can afford to sit on something it always pays to wait.

Alto Works: I bid ¥220,000, sold for ¥261,000

Cappuccino: I bid ¥434,352, sold for ¥619,000

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I agree with your thoughts on BAT but it’s just an easy way to see a selection of sales, but yes I think for the most part probably anything I have or will get in the future selling it myself will always net more. Surprised that Cappo went over 6! I’d have probably been in for 425 if I had bid it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Somehow in the ~ five years I didn't look at BaT it switched from being mostly broken but cool barn finds and poo poo to just an ebay for imported cars.

Kinda a bummer, Craigslist exists for a reason and I miss the old BaT where every post was a really cool find. The last time I went there to actually look at something was my friends old Subaru xt (his CL ad got picked up without him doing anything!)

Also yeah having recently looked at it to try to get a feel for the van and fj80 markets it just doesn't seem that accurate. I know some people with jdm vehicles here and their paid prices are higher than what you see on BaT.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 18, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 19, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I very much wanted some KM3’s for my LX 470 but read they were not as good in the snow. It will be my primary driver during winter months so while the KM3 definitely looks the business I settled for the KO2.

Still a little sad I didn’t go white letters out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That looks great man, very nice.

I have a whole lot going on right now but I did just win another. Celsior with 19k miles, mint.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I very much wanted some KM3’s for my LX 470 but read they were not as good in the snow. It will be my primary driver during winter months so while the KM3 definitely looks the business I settled for the KO2.

Still a little sad I didn’t go white letters out.

These are just KM2s, not 3s, though that wasn't really important so much as maintaining the look. That they happen to be good tires on top of that is just a bonus.

And yeah you should feel bad about not going white letters out, in what universe is going "white letters out" even remotely not the best idea? :mad:

everdave posted:

That looks great man, very nice.

I have a whole lot going on right now but I did just win another. Celsior with 19k miles, mint.

Hell yes

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

None of those images are working for me because they are not https

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

You Am I posted:

None of those images are working for me because they are not https

They are now bub :c00l:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:pcgaming:

Auction Sheet posted:

4mt, lj50 engine, inspection reports, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and tears, undercarriage surface rust, 5 digit odometer, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, other dents scratches surface rust

Inspector posted:

engine takes some time to start, ok once started, idles and revs fine, 2 stroke smoke, no vibrations, coolant ok, engine rear area slightly oily but ok, tires have 4mm tread left and cracked, spare cracked but ok to use, surface rust in cargo area but no flaking or holes, undercarriage surface rust only, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side 4cm tear, seats dirty, dashboard faded, ceiling liner ok, door molding torn, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

This right here is a 1980 2-stroke Suzuki Carry with 9,940 km on it. Doesn't say one owner but does say it has inspection records. I don't know how many owners a sub-6500 mile car can possibly have. This is now the lowest mileage vehicle we've ever imported while also being the oldest. It is also the first two-stroke so I get to cross that off my list. Scored it for 1032 US monies. I can't imagine this will be some huge sale or anything, but there is a chance it will be going to Puerto Rico and will be a real nice neat thing to have next to all of the rest of the neat things we have/have had.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

KakerMix posted:

but does say it has inspection records.

7 whole pages!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Saw that one today nice buy man!

Had a bid on a bluebird wagon tonight doubt I won but will hear soon

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Paid the deposit earlier this week. Was planning on going with something mainstream like a Mazda Axela (Mazda 3) to keep the re-sell side of it simple and focus on getting the end-to-end process down, but then I stumbled on this beauty so might be throwing in a low-ball bid depending on what the translation says.

I'll be importing to NZ so no 25 year rule, however there is essentially a dead-zone (mid)1999-2006(ish) due to vehicles having to comply with frontal impact laws and emissions, but being exempt if over 20 years old. Also vehicles over 2000cc have to have Vehicle Stability Control, which isn't a huge issue since most cars post 2008(ish) seem to come equipped with it. 20 years old exemption still applies for this as well.

Only other snag/hoop that Yoshi explained is that NZ & AU have to go thru Autohub to do the pre-boarding inspection and all the other extra fun stuff w.e have to deal with (odometer check, heat treating if necessary etc.)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Jomo posted:

Paid the deposit earlier this week. Was planning on going with something mainstream like a Mazda Axela (Mazda 3) to keep the re-sell side of it simple and focus on getting the end-to-end process down, but then I stumbled on this beauty so might be throwing in a low-ball bid depending on what the translation says.

I'll be importing to NZ so no 25 year rule, however there is essentially a dead-zone (mid)1999-2006(ish) due to vehicles having to comply with frontal impact laws and emissions, but being exempt if over 20 years old. Also vehicles over 2000cc have to have Vehicle Stability Control, which isn't a huge issue since most cars post 2008(ish) seem to come equipped with it. 20 years old exemption still applies for this as well.

Only other snag/hoop that Yoshi explained is that NZ & AU have to go thru Autohub to do the pre-boarding inspection and all the other extra fun stuff w.e have to deal with (odometer check, heat treating if necessary etc.)

Mum has an Axela and it’s not that great. It’s a bit newer than my Corolla, a bit more powerful but tbh less enjoyable to drive. Hers has some JDM body kit, it’s too low for the sort of car it is. The clutch is heavier than it needs to be and you can’t open the boot with the key. Might be that it’s got some Japanese aftermarket weirdness going on but I wouldn’t bother importing one, you can get one on TradeMe. Or Mum will sell you hers, she barely drives it.

The Subaru will be fun, but prepare for maintenance.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

slothrop posted:

Mum has an Axela and it’s not that great. It’s a bit newer than my Corolla, a bit more powerful but tbh less enjoyable to drive. Hers has some JDM body kit, it’s too low for the sort of car it is. The clutch is heavier than it needs to be and you can’t open the boot with the key. Might be that it’s got some Japanese aftermarket weirdness going on but I wouldn’t bother importing one, you can get one on TradeMe. Or Mum will sell you hers, she barely drives it.

The Subaru will be fun, but prepare for maintenance.

I've owned 2 BG5 wagons in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them, so it nothing new. Still slightly regret selling my last one which was exactly the same as the one I listed just with higher kms. However, Yoshi came back to me and it seems this one's got under-chassis + rust and "interior odor" which is a hard pass for me.

At the moment I'm not looking to get anything to keep long-term, just something that I can easily certify and flip back on trademe (with a bit of profit) to learn the ins-and-out of importing first. Especially as the current place I'm in till the end of the year in Wellington is up a steep-rear end hill with street-parking only.

In saying that however, I'm barely containing myself from bidding on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

:pcgaming:

This right here is a 1980 2-stroke Suzuki Carry with 9,940 km on it. Doesn't say one owner but does say it has inspection records. I don't know how many owners a sub-6500 mile car can possibly have. This is now the lowest mileage vehicle we've ever imported while also being the oldest. It is also the first two-stroke so I get to cross that off my list. Scored it for 1032 US monies. I can't imagine this will be some huge sale or anything, but there is a chance it will be going to Puerto Rico and will be a real nice neat thing to have next to all of the rest of the neat things we have/have had.

"Takes some time to start..." so what, like 5+ pulls on the rope? :v: