Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lube Enthusiast posted:

How many episodes are left this season? tia

Three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Almost wish the "is AoT fascist" debate was still going on given that post credits scene.

Don’t worry, people with low reading comprehension and people who like to get mad at things on Twitter without having actually reading them have already moved on to another, stupider debate. After seeing the post-credits scene, I’m sure you can guess what it is.

Though I don’t blame anyone who feels uncomfortable with the imagery used. My reaction on seeing it was basically: :stonkhat:

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Not sure if three books lived up to and exceeded expectations like some people said but I'll wait to see what happens.

The long sequence of silence mixed with flashbacks was incredible work

Yeah, I extremely wish manga readers hadn't hyped this up so much. Like I knew it would never live up to their hype and it still made me annoyed. I watched the after credits scene as well, its not the biggest twist ever. Maybe they were hyping what happens in the flashback as it continues but maybe don't hype stuff for no gain? Because now we're a week away from a new episode and I cant help but feel a tad disappointed.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Loved this episode. Honestly this whole series just gets better and better, can't wait for the next.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The basement hype is more than just humanity is alive and blimps. Keep watching

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm not falling for basement hype for a second time.

The best twists so far have been the Eren death fakeout, Annie reveal, Ymir reveal and the coordinate reveal. Each of those were absolutely fantastic. The basement didn't even come close. I resent the basement for further blurring the line between Attack on Titan and Attack on Trains.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 10, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Best reveal was actually colossal and armored titan identity.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Loved this episode. Honestly this whole series just gets better and better, can't wait for the next.
Really? I was bored as hell until the post credits scene. Wanted to see Armin test out his new giant body.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Yawgmoft posted:

Best reveal was potato girl

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

I'm not falling for basement hype for a second time.

The best twists so far have been the Eren death fakeout, Annie reveal, Ymir reveal and the coordinate reveal. Each of those were absolutely fantastic. The basement didn't even come close. I resent the basement for further blurring the line between Attack on Titan and Attack on Trains.

I mean, I want to see titans picking up trains in both hands and duel-wielding them as weapons during their MMA fights, but maybe that’s just me.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound too bad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The hyping is weird because I actually remember people being quite disappointed at the basement reveal in the manga thread? I could understand if people had been hyping what comes after the basement reveal but the actual chapter of the manga that ends with the photograph was just... Okay?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I loved the reveal, personally, and am very intrigued to find out more...

Very sad the studio is dropping the project, I love the art style and camera work, especially the loving recreations of natural scenes. I didn't read the article, is there no hope of WIT staying on?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

The hyping is weird because I actually remember people being quite disappointed at the basement reveal in the manga thread? I could understand if people had been hyping what comes after the basement reveal but the actual chapter of the manga that ends with the photograph was just... Okay?

people are conflating the reveal of what's in the basement with the reveal of the implications of what's in the basement. From the manga thread, I recall people were hella pissed at the basement being a wet fart especially after the kentucky-fried armin copout. People were saying things like they were gonna quit this garbage series, or Isayama was pulling poo poo out of his rear end for the entire series.

absolutely no one was saying anything like that after the next issue.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I loved the reveal, personally, and am very intrigued to find out more...

Very sad the studio is dropping the project, I love the art style and camera work, especially the loving recreations of natural scenes. I didn't read the article, is there no hope of WIT staying on?

As far as I am aware, they are not dropping it so much as being pulled from it. This is speculation but the constant production issues is probably the reason.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

Without saying any more, I am 99% sure that people are hyped about what comes after, they just kind of mesh that and the basement reveal together, since it's been 3 years, and they're sequential. In the manga, (spoilers for the latest episode NOT any of the manga) the photograph reveal as well as the reveal that humanity as a whole has not perished, and lives a comparatively luxurious life outside the walls was surprising, even shocking, but it was a cliffhanger that just ended there; one that was a kind of uncommon plot but guessable plot twist. One that has been done badly in media before.

During the month long wait, there was a lot of trepidation about whether the story would pull it off, and people having mixed feelings (myself included). I think it was an incredibly good decision to show the post credits scene like they did. People are taking it a lot more well than I expected, and are even excited and anticipatory.

Like if I think back to reactions from myself and friends at the time, they ranged from "oh yeah, I thought that might be it, but that was like my third guess. Wow, they really are going in this direction" to "What the actual gently caress? This is not how I expected this to go, are you loving kidding me, what is this M Night Shayamalam what a twist poo poo?"

I mean, obviously if I'm here, and just spent like $22 on manga chapters last week, I like the direction it's going, but I am VERY interested to see people's reactions going forward.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yawgmoft posted:

That was done so well too. I actually had to pause and rewind the video because I thought I might have misread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

That was done so well too. I actually had to pause and rewind the video because I thought I might have misread.
The manga version is so good too, just crammed in the background of one panel, and I thought the scanlator was loving with people until poo poo actually went down

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Haha I did the exact same thing. I couldn't believe what I heard.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

people are conflating the reveal of what's in the basement with the reveal of the implications of what's in the basement. From the manga thread, I recall people were hella pissed at the basement being a wet fart especially after the kentucky-fried armin copout. People were saying things like they were gonna quit this garbage series, or Isayama was pulling poo poo out of his rear end for the entire series.

absolutely no one was saying anything like that after the next issue.

Yah I agree. The manga was at a real low point during the Uprising arc (the anime's abridged version is much better done). Battle of Shiganshina was fun but most of us were fed up and just wanted to know what the basement mystery was. The chapter that was depicted in the last episode had lukewarm reaction ('humanity lives beyond the walls' well duh) but the upcoming arc was highly praised and really a resurgeance of interest in the series.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
When I was showing the series to my friend, he was like, "haha, can you imagine if that was true?" when Reiner was confessing his true identity. Then poo poo went down and he was floored.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

One thing I liked about this episode was that it shows pretty decisively that even if Erwin had abandoned everyone and fled to the basement he still wouldn't have made it or gotten any answers. He'd had to dig through the rubble to find the entrance and move the rock (with one arm), break down the door, search the room by himself, force open the desk and find the false bottom before he could even start reading.

Theory time:

Reading through reddit I'm digging the theory that the walls are actually a kind of prison or ghetto for the peoples inside of it. Flashback Reiner referring to the people inside as 'this filthy race' certainly makes it seem like the whole thing is racially motivated. This could all be the result of a lost war or something. Perhaps the Titans were actually made in part to keep the inhabitants inside and segregate them from the rest of humanity (there could even be a forth wall) and the "Reiss King" is actually essentially a glorified prison warden. Memory-wiping and control over titans make him the perfect tool to keep everyone inside. Everything changes after Grisha infiltrates the walls with the secrets of Titan-shifting and the Real History of the walls. This forces a purge to take place to find him which then escalates when its found he'd also stolen the power of the Coordinate into a full-blown genocide attempt.

(Disclosure: I have not read the manga and have only been spoiled on one character death)

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 11, 2019

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nephthys posted:

One thing I liked about this episode was that it shows pretty decisively that even if Erwin had abandoned everyone and fled to the basement he still wouldn't have made it or gotten any answers. He'd had to dig through the rubble to find the entrance and move the rock (with one arm), break down the door, search the room by himself, force open the desk and find the false bottom before he could even start reading.

Theory time:

Reading through reddit I'm digging the theory that the walls are actually a kind of prison or ghetto for the peoples inside of it. Flashback Reiner referring to the people inside as 'this filthy race' certainly makes it seem like the whole thing is racially motivated. This could all be the result of a lost war or something. Perhaps the Titans were actually made in part to keep the inhabitants inside and segregate them from the rest of humanity (there could even be a forth wall) and the "Reiss King" is actually essentially a glorified prison warden. Memory-wiping and control over titans make him the perfect tool to keep everyone inside. Everything changes after Grisha infiltrates the walls with the secrets of Titan-shifting and the Real History of the walls. This forces a purge to take place to find him which then escalates when its found he'd also stolen the power of the Coordinate into a full-blown genocide attempt.

(Disclosure: I have not read the manga and have only been spoiled on one character death)

Something along those lines seems pretty obvious given the outside is apparently 1930s Germany right down to Zeppelins and a minority forced to wear star armbands. . It's kind of insane they're going there but at least they're swinging for the fences. A more generic modern day or post apocalypse reveal might have been a bit of a letdown.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Nephthys posted:

Theory time:

If you're reading reddit theories they are most certainly taken from anime-only people who read the manga.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nephthys posted:

Theory time:

The flaw with this theory is if that's the case then why did the colossal and armored titan attack in the first place? IIRC Grisha didn't go after Reiss and the coordinate until after the wall fell. I mean maybe they were coming for him, but it seems like extreme overkill to do it that way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
TBH I think most of the fun of the basement reveal (which isn't complete, btw) was going back and looking at the entire manga with the new context. It was the big moment when Isayama really got to show off his narrative-crafting chops.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Kyte posted:

TBH I think most of the fun of the basement reveal (which isn't complete, btw) was going back and looking at the entire manga with the new context. It was the big moment when Isayama really got to show off his narrative-crafting chops.

Do you remember any particular noteworthy examples?

I'm dumb. I saw the grisha flashback and immediately assumed that between then and present day, the titans must have destroyed everything and now we're in the post apocalypse. Meaning that Reiner, berthold, Zeke and everyone from outside are in a madmax situation.

My original theory was that titan shifting was some new invention a la the atomic bomb and it's creation really shifted the balance of power in a giant war they're probably fighting in the flashback. But then I remembered that this titan power thing is hundreds of years old so... There goes that theory.

Something has been bothering me though. Is it true that everyone outside the wall can't get inside (other than sneaking in with the scouts) without the colossal titan and armored titans breaking down the door? That might explain why they waited so long to attack inside the walls.

But two episodes ago, we saw the doggo titan running around inside after Eren sealed the entrance and he escaped outside after that right? Is the doggo titan super special?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I loved the Armored and Colossal Titan reveal. I had the crazy experience of expecting it and not expecting it. I lasted only 2 weeks after watching the anime, before I broke down and read the manga, and in the anime thread, people had theorized that Reiner was the Armored Titan because his hair matched, and anime hair never lies. Reading the Utgard part, I assumed that if he would go through the trouble of punching a Titan in the face, and not transforming, he probably wasn’t a shifter like Ymir. So when it got to the reveal:
“I’m the Armored Titan.”
Oh God damnit.
“And Bertholdt is the Colossal Titan.”
Wait...what?!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Do you remember any particular noteworthy examples?

I'm dumb. I saw the grisha flashback and immediately assumed that between then and present day, the titans must have destroyed everything and now we're in the post apocalypse. Meaning that Reiner, berthold, Zeke and everyone from outside are in a madmax situation.

My original theory was that titan shifting was some new invention a la the atomic bomb and it's creation really shifted the balance of power in a giant war they're probably fighting in the flashback. But then I remembered that this titan power thing is hundreds of years old so... There goes that theory.

Something has been bothering me though. Is it true that everyone outside the wall can't get inside (other than sneaking in with the scouts) without the colossal titan and armored titans breaking down the door? That might explain why they waited so long to attack inside the walls.

But two episodes ago, we saw the doggo titan running around inside after Eren sealed the entrance and he escaped outside after that right? Is the doggo titan super special?

I literally cannot give any example without spoiling, dude. That's the entire point.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oh I missed the part where you said it wasn't complete. Sorry.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Theory time:

I said this in the OP but you need to tread carefully when pulling theories from Reddit cause there are plenty of “anime-only” people that would happily post spoilers as “theories”. Not saying that what you’ve posted here is or isn’t correct (as that’s obviously a spoiler itself), but it’s really hard to curate what folks are posting outside of SA.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I said this in the OP but you need to tread carefully when pulling theories from Reddit cause there are plenty of “anime-only” people that would happily post spoilers as “theories”. Not saying that what you’ve posted here is or isn’t correct (as that’s obviously a spoiler itself), but it’s really hard to curate what folks are posting outside of SA.

Sorry, I didn't notice that in the OP. If its any consideration the only bit I got from there was the idea that it could be a prison/ghetto. Everything after the first sentence is my own speculation or things I'd already noticed.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

No worries it’s as much a warning for the sake of your own enjoyment.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Woof, the production quality of this episode was probably the worst of the entire series. Lotsa faces not looking right... though in a way that matches up with the manga's art which often gets messy to the point that I have no idea if I'm looking at Armin or Historia. At least the flashback walk down memory lane was really well done. I'll miss Wit.

In case you didn't catch it, there was a scene that was just a panning over a still frame. That was a direct manga callback. I went and looked at the manga and the show is practically 1:1 with how and when it showed plot this episode.

If you were, at all, a bit let down by the basement, just trust me that the rest of this season should make up for it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 12, 2019

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

How many more episodes this season, anyway

e: nm, I scrolled up

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a new theory on everything. I think the world as we've seen it so far is a giant prison. Think like Escape from LA and Escape from NY. Huge areas of land that are essentially prisons. When people are found guilty of a crime, they're transformed into Titans and left to wander/rot in the prison area. The first king/Coordinate must have snuck in or somehow gotten in through unusual means and headed to the center of the cordoned off zone where they then used their power to use the wandering prisoner titans to form the 3 walls we know of. The multiple walls wasn't so much to keep Titans out as it was the allow them early warning of external titan shifters coming for the king/coordinate. That paranoia would also explain why the real king wasn't the king everyone thought it was. It's all to buy them time should the outside titan shifters come for them. That also explains why the titan shifters are being all sneaky deaky and infiltrating the scouts and only coming in limited numbers. They must have known the king wasn't the real king and were trying to figure out where the real king was before they made themselves too known. Their multiple attacks were an effort to narrow down the search perimeter. Once they discovered the Erin had the power, they've been targeting him.

The original king also must have used their brainwashing power to erase the memories of the humans to keep them from wanting to return to normal civilization. I'm not sure how the humans got into the titan-prison area. Maybe if you're guilty of something REALLY heinous they release you into the prison area not as a titan but as a normal human to be eaten by the prisoner titans? Or it could be the original king/coordinate brought some humans with him when he originally infiltrated the prison area.

This would also explain why their technology is basically medieval compared to the other more modern tech we saw in the Grisha flashback. If you snuck into a prison land to form a civilization you would be starting from nothing. The one exception we've seen is the 3D maneuvering gear. Maybe that was built off of an original set that was also snuck in from the outside world?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 14, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SpartanIvy posted:

I have a new theory on everything. I think the world as we've seen it so far is a giant prison. Think like Escape from LA and Escape from NY. Huge areas of land that are essentially prisons. When people are found guilty of a crime, they're transformed into Titans and left to wander/rot in the prison area. The first king/Coordinate must have snuck in or somehow gotten in through unusual means and headed to the center of the cordoned off zone where they then used their power to use the wandering prisoner titans to form the 3 walls we know of. The multiple walls wasn't so much to keep Titans out as it was the allow them early warning of external titan shifters coming for the king/coordinate. That paranoia would also explain why the real king wasn't the king everyone thought it was. It's all to buy them time should the outside titan shifters come for them. That also explains why the titan shifters are being all sneaky deaky and infiltrating the scouts and only coming in limited numbers. They must have known the king wasn't the real king and were trying to figure out where the real king was before they made themselves too known. Their multiple attacks were an effort to narrow down the search perimeter. Once they discovered the Erin had the power, they've been targeting him.

The original king also must have used their brainwashing power to erase the memories of the humans to keep them from wanting to return to normal civilization. I'm not sure how the humans got into the titan-prison area. Maybe if you're guilty of something REALLY heinous they release you into the prison area not as a titan but as a normal human to be eaten by the prisoner titans? Or it could be the original king/coordinate brought some humans with him when he originally infiltrated the prison area.

This would also explain why their technology is basically medieval compared to the other more modern tech we saw in the Grisha flashback. If you snuck into a prison land to form a civilization you would be starting from nothing. The one exception we've seen is the 3D maneuvering gear. Maybe that was built off of an original set that was also snuck in from the outside world?

Throwing my spaghetti at the wall, my two theories right now:
1) The zone inside the walls is a totalitarian state, ala North Korea, keeping most of its citizens in ignorance for the purpose of control. This tracks out for me because, as we get closer to the center (and the King), technology and economics improve. The outer two walls could have just been the buffer/surplus population they used to maintain a luxury lifestyle for the 1% of the Inner Party. This would mean that the King and Wall People were at war with whatever Zeppelin nation that Grisha comes from.

-or-

2) The zone inside the walls is the capital of the larger nation that Grisha comes from, with it's population kept in ignorance to protect the ruling class and King. Grisha's notes saying that he hoped the books were found "by a fellow patriot" make me think this may be the case. If they have a late-Victorian/early 20th century level of technology on the outside, keeping a restless population at bay with Titans, Giant Walls, and a few million brainwashed ignoramouses makes for a secure palace. The standard of living outside the walls has to be significantly higher, it looks like Grisha lives in a cordoned ghetto and it's nicer than anything we've ever seen inside the walls.

I'm trying to reconcile all of the different threads now that we know humans on the outside have it better than those inside. I need to rewatch the Ymir episode where it goes into her backstory...she was clearly punished for impersonating royalty and was then turned into a titan.

Hmmm...I wonder if there is a fourth wall, far beyond Maria that acts as a buffer zone. That may be the wall Ymir was thrown off of, since it seems clear to me (now) that she didn't come from inside the walls as I originally thought.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

The one exception we've seen is the 3D maneuvering gear. Maybe that was built off of an original set that was also snuck in from the outside world

Given the way Monkey Trouble is *fascinated* by the 3DMG in his very first appearance, I assume it's an entirely natural invention of within-the-walls world or at the very least somehow not known to wherever it is the outside shifters come from.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

a computing pun posted:

Given the way Monkey Trouble is *fascinated* by the 3DMG in his very first appearance, I assume it's an entirely natural invention of within-the-walls world or at the very least somehow not known to wherever it is the outside shifters come from.

:hmmyes:

Still though. The 3DMG is the only tech we've seen that is more WWI era than medieval, which is the other tech level we've seen. There has to be a connection there somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

:hmmyes:

Still though. The 3DMG is the only tech we've seen that is more WWI era than medieval, which is the other tech level we've seen. There has to be a connection there somehow.

The 3DMG is futuristic sci-fi level tech given how compact and powerful it is. We also have the thunderspears which were explicitly whipped up using technology the government had been hiding, so they probably have even more advanced stuff tucked away somewhere.