Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wolfpupy/status/1138236637584846849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Which mod should we contact to get the animated gif uploaded to the forums so we can make it our gang tag?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

He hasn't been, I think the whole topic is still a big source of anxiety for him.

That’s understandable. I hope he can make peace with everything and move on, and that his hard work can eventually see the light of day in some form. I’m a huge fan and would really like to see him work on more things, games or otherwise.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

excellent

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Which mod should we contact to get the animated gif uploaded to the forums so we can make it our gang tag?

I will request it :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Hallelujah slams and jams!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I hope you guys get back together one day to make a weird, funny game.

By the way, am I seeing things or were there brief flashes of Frankie's game in the latest Devolver E3 conference?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blattdorf posted:

I hope you guys get back together one day to make a weird, funny game.

By the way, am I seeing things or were there brief flashes of Frankie's game in the latest Devolver E3 conference?

Yes, you were seeing things. But those things were, indeed, Frankie's game.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Absolutely incredible.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Chaos Dunk my heart ToG!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Sarcastically: I'll make the wiki

Complete sincerity: I'll make the gang tag

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:bagl:ey 2

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Bark2-Ley2

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I need this gang tag

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Bisse posted:

Found what I think is the Space Harrier BBall prototype. Dont have a windows machine around to double check so it may also be virus infested garbageware. Let me know if its the right thing.

ThisIsBBall.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQDvFoQS3DznrY2Ed9oQhEQD9N04TBdN/view?usp=drivesdk
spaceharrier.gm81: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UECWe5FtSJkUvf4TET78swDvZ240ChIW/view?usp=drivesdk

i think publishing Wip builds of various things is the best thing one could do in this situation. To show that actual effort was made and to give backers something.
all those design doc's that have been posted are cool and good as well.

barkley 2 was never meant to be. Its a shame but at least we did get a story out of its development.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

2 Bark 2 Ley-rious

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

B-Beyblade

B-Blade

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Bade

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

make a barkley 2 multimedia experience that strings together kickstarter updates, unfinished builds, discarded minigames and posts from this thread into a coherent piece of modern art imho. like the end of hypnospace outlaw

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 11, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You're posting in it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

and welcome to the (game) jam

bortswif
Jun 6, 2019

Farm Frenzy posted:

make a barkley 2 multimedia experience that strings together kickstarter updates, unfinished builds, discarded minigames and posts from this thread into a coherent piece of modern art imho. like the end of hypnospace outlaw

don't forget videos of in person character creation (pax, magfest) and liveaction bball tactics (otakon bmore)

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
So I asked a few friends to help out and weve been testing the game a bit to find the most obvious problems around like the first hour or so you can explore, so we can fix a few before putting out a demo. Theres been a couple display bugs so far in character creation and a few quests had issues we found. I think they had a bug earlier where the whole game was using al-bhed by default. Something seems off with equipping jerkins too, not sure about that one, I think paperjack is looking into it.

One of the bigger issues is a general lack of tutorials for how all of the gun stuff works, like your main guns vs. the gun bag stuff, which is a good system but not at all self-explanatory, but were putting in something to at least help people figure it out on their own a bit.

I'm working on putting dwarfnet in the game, because its in a separate project right now and not connected, and I think dwarfnet is pretty great. I never worked with our interface stuff before so theres a bit of a learning curve, but it would be a real shame if the demo came out with that part missing. Just using the gun breeding cinematic as an example for implementing that, I think I should be able to figure it out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
You’re a titan, Frankie. How does DwarfNET actually interface with the game, in the original vision? Do you access it via terminals for some purpose? Can you get stuff off of it, or is it purely for rumors etc?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

FrankieSmileShow posted:

So I asked a few friends to help out and weve been testing the game a bit to find the most obvious problems around like the first hour or so you can explore, so we can fix a few before putting out a demo. Theres been a couple display bugs so far in character creation and a few quests had issues we found. I think they had a bug earlier where the whole game was using al-bhed by default. Something seems off with equipping jerkins too, not sure about that one, I think paperjack is looking into it.

One of the bigger issues is a general lack of tutorials for how all of the gun stuff works, like your main guns vs. the gun bag stuff, which is a good system but not at all self-explanatory, but were putting in something to at least help people figure it out on their own a bit.

I'm working on putting dwarfnet in the game, because its in a separate project right now and not connected, and I think dwarfnet is pretty great. I never worked with our interface stuff before so theres a bit of a learning curve, but it would be a real shame if the demo came out with that part missing. Just using the gun breeding cinematic as an example for implementing that, I think I should be able to figure it out.
This is really cool. I don't even play games these days but I liked Barkley 1 and I'm excited for this demo, with no expectations of anything ever coming out beyond that

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I havent been following the details on dwarfnet, but I think that is Laz/Gortarius's project for the most part.
You access dwarfnet from the utility stations, the same place where you can breed or smelt your guns.

From what I remember, the idea of dwarfnet is that its mostly a ridiculous forum for dwarfs that gives you an idea of what the characters in the game are like when they talk to one another. I think it also foreshadows certain quests and some extra forum threads and replies appear as time passes in the game (which is tied to clearing quests)?
I think some of the forum characters are/were intended to be specific characters you meet in the game, but im not sure if that was actually put in practice.

I remember at one time the idea was to kind of treat some of the forum threads like they are a quest log for some of your active quests, complete with other users making comments. but im not sure if thats the direction it actually went?

I think the dwarfnet self-contained project seems to load quest data at the start, so it seems like its at least set up to connect into some quests, but that doesnt necessarily mean its actually using that data yet.

We initially built dwarfnet by having a secret forum somewhere where the team actually made posts to fill it up with dumb forum garbage. Thats a while ago though, im not sure the content of dwarfnet right now is still the stuff we wrote in that forum back then.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, I thought Liam/Bhroom had to be the one to put out the demo.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Liam is working on this too, he's been fixing scripting/quest/etc issues we found.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
DwarfNET has undergone 3 iterations, I believe. The last one that worked was one where you just log in to check out dwarfs shitposting all day long. There were a few quest related threads that would have new posts as the quest progressed, and some guys posting on DwarfNET are just guys you can find in the game world. The problem with making that sort of content for it is that the rest of the game is in a state of perpetual flux, and as such if we changed something that has a DwarfNET counterpart, then we also would have needed to change the DwarfNET stuff also. So me and GZ leaned towards the idea of filling it with content when the rest of the game was in good standing, OR making extremely vague posts that you couldn't tell if they were referring to something specific or not. I'm not sure anyone else had any opinion or comment about it, or at least I don't remember if they did.

Of course this never happened so there's just a few quest threads and the rest are dwarfs shitposting iirc.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thanks for your work frankie & co

would love to see that dwarfnet stuff too

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You do you, but falling back into doing free work for abusive delusional producer man seems like a questionable reaction to all this, to me

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Mods No Masters posted:

You do you, but falling back into doing free work for abusive delusional producer man seems like a questionable reaction to all this, to me

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah please don't let this impact your work on WeekendRPG.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Gortarius posted:

So me and GZ leaned towards the idea of filling it with content

Of course this never happened so there's just a few quest threads and the rest are dwarfs shitposting iirc.

Ahh... the true online experience.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Download gpt-2, train it on a 50/50 mix of GBS and the bay12 forums, then have the neuralnet deliver fUlLy dYnAmIc realtime shitposts

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Im not working on this demo for Liam, I'm working on this because I want people to see and appreciate at least a little bit of the years worth of work that we have all put in this project, even if its a broken mess.

I spent most of my loving twenties drawing sprites for this, I'm not gonna just set fire to that out of loving spite for one guy who has been mismanaging it.

I know that he like, owns the project and the company or whatever, but that means gently caress all since this broken, incomplete mess is obviously never going to be put on sale for actual money.

We want a demo out on friday. Might take a bit longer. Its gonna just be a public demo available for everybody, not just to backers. When thats out, Im not touching this garbage anymore, unless a goddamn miracle happens and he gets it all actually back on track, and I'm not holding my breath.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

We were the cyberdwarfs all along

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Im not working on this demo for Liam, I'm working on this because I want people to see and appreciate at least a little bit of the years worth of work that we have all put in this project, even if its a broken mess.

I spent most of my loving twenties drawing sprites for this, I'm not gonna just set fire to that out of loving spite for one guy who has been mismanaging it.

I know that he like, owns the project and the company or whatever, but that means gently caress all since this broken, incomplete mess is obviously never going to be put on sale for actual money.

We want a demo out on friday. Might take a bit longer. Its gonna just be a public demo available for everybody, not just to backers. When thats out, Im not touching this garbage anymore, unless a goddamn miracle happens and he gets it all actually back on track, and I'm not holding my breath.

God bless you man. I hope some of your work finally sees the light of day. We appreciate it, even if the game will never come out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am all for the Dark Drakerz gang tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Looks like there is proper playtesting going on now with multiple testers. Amazing to finally see this happen. Only took 7 years, a massive public roasting, burning all bridges and uncloseting an army of skeletons to happen!

Frankie is doing the Lord's work putting helping to put all the disparate pieces together and making this as playable and enjoyable as possible.

quote:

Making all these years of work public playable is going to be very exciting and such a massive relief, I can't thank him enough for it. Think of it not as working for one person but as bringing credit and closure to the entire Barkley 2 team. That's assuming though that is is a fast-track-to-demo effort, which it seems to be, and then it's over from there.