Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I went into labor but it wasn’t progressing so I went to the Fleet Foxes concert anyway. Not the easiest evening of my pregnancy, but I still had to wait two more days to meet the kiddo because I stalled out and they kept sending me home.

(He was a giant baby and he was stuck and I almost ended up with a C-section, but I’m glad I at least made it to the concert)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Anyone else experience zero pregnancy symptoms? I mean, whatever's going on with me psychologically (anxiety/depression) I understand could be affected by hormones, but it doesn't really feel different from my baseline mental state that I've struggled with all my life. Besides that, I'm in week 6 which is supposed to be the peak of morning sickness. I haven't felt any nausea, zero breast tenderness, no headaches, no fatigue besides my usual inertia, no increased smell sensitivity, no bloating. I don't even think I'm peeing more than usual. I guess I shouldn't complain but is it weird? Am I lucky? Is it probably still to come?

I never experienced any side effects when I used or changed birth control. Can it be chalked up to maybe I'm just not very affected by hormones?

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Everyone is different -- some people have symptoms, some people don't. I never had morning sickness, neither did my mom when she was pregnant with me. The first real symptom I had was exhaustion and even that didn't start until around week 11. Week 6 is still pretty early.

A lot of the other symptoms (like peeing a lot) you don't really deal with until later on in the pregnancy. For me, the first time I really "felt pregnant" or dealt with any unpleasant symptoms was around the second half of the second trimester with SPD. Then it was all downhill from there.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone else experience zero pregnancy symptoms? I mean, whatever's going on with me psychologically (anxiety/depression) I understand could be affected by hormones, but it doesn't really feel different from my baseline mental state that I've struggled with all my life. Besides that, I'm in week 6 which is supposed to be the peak of morning sickness. I haven't felt any nausea, zero breast tenderness, no headaches, no fatigue besides my usual inertia, no increased smell sensitivity, no bloating. I don't even think I'm peeing more than usual. I guess I shouldn't complain but is it weird? Am I lucky? Is it probably still to come?

I never experienced any side effects when I used or changed birth control. Can it be chalked up to maybe I'm just not very affected by hormones?

I’m 10 weeks now and my symptoms have been pretty mild. A little breast tenderness, a couple days where I’ve been really tired, a bit of nausea after eating a bunch of soup or slight nausea in the evening. A few days where I peed a lot in the mornings. A bit of cramping, but pretty mild. Nothing that really makes me “feel pregnant.”

Last night I had some gut unpleasantness and worse nausea today. Maybe it just took this long for it to really show up. I know my mom had hyperemesis, but my grandmother had no nausea at all, so I guess symptoms just vary wildly in their degrees.

I consider myself lucky that I have it better than my mom. She said it felt like she had the flu from conception until birth and was hospitalized multiple times. It absolutely destroyed her teeth.

I haven’t noticed any veinyness or much changes to my breasts beyond size and firmness. I’ll just enjoy it while I can I guess.

Currently in the waiting room for my first appointment. I might be here a while yet because my doctor had to go do an emergency c-section. It’s an hour and a half past my original appointment time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had zero pregnancy symptoms.
It made me super nervous at the time too but now I'm thankful and wondered why I was worried.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

boquiabierta posted:

That was me with my first pregnancy, with one exception - any fatigue I felt was readily explainable by having had to stop taking Ritalin, the breast tenderness waited until a couple months in, and the exception was needing to pee every thirty seconds. (Some people's bladders wait until there's mechanical pressure in the area to start getting enthusiastic about being voided. Not mine, but then if a medication can have a urinary side-effect, I will get it, so that's probably not a surprise.) Same thing with the second one, except I had a little bit of evening nausea for about six weeks, and, honestly, aside from the obvious symptoms that come with hyperemesis, this pregnancy has been the same way. Some bodies just adjust well to pregnancy hormones? :shrug:

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

boquiabierta posted:

My symptoms didn't really kick in until about week 8, and nausea didn't get bad until about week 10, so don't count your chickens yet! Plus there is a while gauntlet of new and interesting things to deal with in the coming months, so I'm sure you'll wind up with something to complain about.

Thirty-nine weeks today, and it's super weird knowing it could be literally any minute now. Every little twinge or Braxton-Hicks is like "is that the start? Is it time?" Non-first time moms, is it super obvious when contractions begin in earnest?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

McDougirl posted:

My symptoms didn't really kick in until about week 8, and nausea didn't get bad until about week 10, so don't count your chickens yet! Plus there is a while gauntlet of new and interesting things to deal with in the coming months, so I'm sure you'll wind up with something to complain about.

Thirty-nine weeks today, and it's super weird knowing it could be literally any minute now. Every little twinge or Braxton-Hicks is like "is that the start? Is it time?" Non-first time moms, is it super obvious when contractions begin in earnest?

Mum to one, but yeah, when my labour really began my contractions were very different to early contractions that I had on and off.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My early pregnancy symptoms were needing to take an afternoon nap or I would feel like I was going to die and an enhanced sense of smell. It was usually the last thing that would clue me into taking a pregnancy test when I would complain that something must be moldy/rotten in the pantry or fridge.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Finally managed to see my doctor after a little over 2 hours of waiting. Appointment went well. Couldn’t hear a heartbeat yet. Got a bunch of paperwork for various tests to do, an increase of my thyroid medication, a script for anti-nausea meds in case I need it and a script for a pro-biotic.

I was surprised about my thyroid stuff though. When I did my blood work and called the office to ask about the results, I was told they were fine and my dose didn’t need to be changed, but when my doctor looked at the results, he said it was a little too high for pregnancy, so increased my dose by 25%.

I’ll be given a call today to schedule my nuchal translucency ultrasound for next week, since I’m opting for that.

At least my appointment for next month is scheduled for early morning, so I’ll definitely see my doctor that day. Scheduling an appointment for 1, I almost had to reschedule because it got so late in the day by the time I actually saw him. By the time I left, most of the staff had gone home already.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

McDougirl posted:

I didn't realise initially what was going on. I was lying in bed trying to get comfortable when there was an odd "pop" feeling internally quickly followed by what felt like a period cramp. When I felt another couple of cramps over the next while I went to the bathroom and realised the pop been my water breaking. I never had noticable Braxton Hicks to compare them to but early labour cramps for me just felt like particularly sharp period cramps that were more painful if I sat down.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

I didn't realise initially what was going on. I was lying in bed trying to get comfortable when there was an odd "pop" feeling internally quickly followed by what felt like a period cramp. When I felt another couple of cramps over the next while I went to the bathroom and realised the pop been my water breaking. I never had noticable Braxton Hicks to compare them to but early labour cramps for me just felt like particularly sharp period cramps that were more painful if I sat down.

My water broke with both of mine to kick off labor. I had braxton-hicks for days, and there's no mistaking that pop-thunk feeling. While real labor contractions CAN feel pretty borderline, by the time it's a whole thing and you should pay attention, there's no way to confuse it with anything but.

My doula said something to the effect of, "If you can talk through it at all, you're not in serious labor yet."

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I had a baby! She’s 7 lb 5 oz, 21 in long, and gave me a 2nd degree tear after I tried to push her out for two and a half hours. She has so much hair and also a little conehead because she came down at an angle.

I’m afraid she’s hungry and I kind of got shuffled between L& D and post partum at a bad time. I can get her to mouth a little and suck occasionally but not sure if she’s getting anything besides comfort from it. She’s been waking up crying every hour so right now I just have her sleeping on me with her mouth on there. The nurses here can help a little but the lactation consultant isn’t here until Monday. :eng99:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Congratulations!

Maybe while she's on try hand expressing colostrum from the other side? If you can collect some - even a couple of mls - you can ask for a sneaky little tube and syringe and pop it beside the nipple she's on to supplement if you're worried. For the first 48hrs or so I was topping up feeds with 5ml of frozen colostrum. Takes a bit of adjustment to get used the whole feeding biz and she's learning at the same time, don't worry just yet.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Congratulations!! They generally don’t take a ton of food at first, and have very small stomachs- the nurses should be tracking her weight and will let you know if she’s losing too much. It’ll be good to check in with the lactation consultants, but there’s a good chance you’re on the right track.

I had a 2nd degree tear too (and similar baby stats!), and I really recommend following the peri care instructions they give you to a T, even though you’re exhausted and sore. It makes a huge difference if you can get the swelling to go down sooner and keep the stitches happy.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

BadSamaritan posted:

I had a 2nd degree tear too (and similar baby stats!), and I really recommend following the peri care instructions they give you to a T, even though you’re exhausted and sore. It makes a huge difference if you can get the swelling to go down sooner and keep the stitches happy.

This. I cannot overemphasize how important it is to not strain yourself. I somehow popped my stitches without realizing it, and since it was my first, I had no idea what kind of pain level I should have been in during the second week post partum. Spoiler: it wasn't supposed to hurt that much. When I called my OB's office, the triage nurse was super dismissive at first, even though I said the pain was constant, not improving with ibuprofen and dermaplast, and I was having weird color discharge. I insisted on coming in, and surprise, they needed to redo it all. And the lidocaine did not go deep enough.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Thank you guys for the advice! I have gotten her to feed with a shield, and then we moved on to cluster feeding for hours. :dance: I at least know she’s been getting some sustenance out of it and I’m going to talk to the lactation consultant sometime before discharge and learn some more comfortable ways to feed her hopefully ... one of the nurses taught me a football hold that worked but was a little awkward.

I am definitely going to take care of the area as best I can. I’m very nervous about pooping the first time but I was prescribed stool softeners so hopefully they will help avoid straining things.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I also had a second degree tear. Dermaplast was great, but the life saver was frozen pads. Get some maxi pads and liquid witch hazel, pour some on the pad, put a thin layer of A&D on top, fold it back up, and pop it in the freezer. Also be super careful when you shift on the couch, lift your whole bottom instead of sliding.

Congrats on the new baby!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I filled condoms up with water, tied them off and froze them, then wrapped in toilet paper to put in my undies. Amazing relief.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I also had a second degree tear! If it's any consolation, mine healed up pretty quickly without too much pain as long as I was diligent about ibuprofen after I got out of the hospital. I had a pretty gnarly tear up one side of my labia and an "abrasion" on the other side (seriously kid, wtf) that were much more painful to heal. I'm a month out and while I can still feel the stitches in my labial tear with my fingers (still hoping they dissolve soon!), the perenial tear seems to be all healed up. None of them burn anymore when I pee! Hurrah!

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I’m not allowed to take NSAIDs because they can aggravate Crohn’s symptoms so ibuprofen is out. Which sucks because that seems like an integral part of post partum pain management. I might try freezing pads though. Right now I’m not taking anything for pain.

We’ve still been having trouble with feeding. She lost 9.4% of her birth weight so they gave us formula, which feels like a failure. The lactation advice in the hospital was good but really rushed and at that point I’d been awake from about Thursday morning through Monday morning with only two hours of sleep in between. It’s been hard to replicate those results at home with my pump and I’m worried about my milk not coming in. I’ve been trying to offer her a chance to latch and suck whenever she seems hungry but she doesn’t sustain it no matter what I try.

I love my daughter so much but this has been hard. My husband’s been great and supportive and helpful with everything (obviously he can’t breast feed so that’s on me) but he’s also exhausted obviously. We are seeing the pediatrician tomorrow, I’ve had a chance to grab a few naps in between, so I’m hoping I can figure out a way to turn this around even though I know I’m still probably extremely sleep deprived. I bet probably all parents feel super panicky and like failures at first, I know this isn’t unique, but it’s hard.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

You’re doing a great job. It’s hard- you’re physically and mentally exhausted, and you’re doing something completely new. You want to do the best for this tiny person, and that is stressful.

Formula isn’t losing and it isn’t failure, though I understand the frustration. It’s a perfectly valid and healthy way to feed a baby. I think the modern push for breastfeeding can lead to a lot of feelings of guilt and pressure for moms, but the benefits of breastfeeding over formula are extremely narrow in developed countries (especially when studies control for parental income). If it doesn’t work out, it’ll be okay and it’s not a reflection at all on you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Formula is awesome when you need it. Now take a nap!

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
One of my twins was "lazy" about latching. She was bordering on low birth weight, so before my milk came in she didn't have much fat to use for energy which was part of the problem - she was weak and tired!

1. Formula helped her with breastfeeding! She was tube fed formula for a couple of days while we worked on it and it made her stronger and more active.
2. One of the things that also helped was being a twin, I would nurse both at once and since her brother was better at sucking he would get the ejection reflex going and she would get milk on her side with less effort. Maybe this could be replicated by using a pump on the other side while she is on the boob?

And having said that, if breastfeeding doesn't work out, that's still not a failure. You're feeding your child. And there are upsides to formula feeding too, like being able to share feeding duties (especially at night).

Being a new parent can be a real punch in the gut. Be kind to yourselves and each other, remember to ask for help if you need it. It gets better.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I sobbed and sobbed when we made the decision stop breastfeeding and give our kid formula. It felt like I was failing her. With some time and sleep (sleep is so important!!) I realized that "fed is best" is absolutely true. I do think there are benefits from breastfeeding you don't get with formula, but the benefits can be overblown. Please don't beat yourself up!! Here is a 538 article discussing data surrounding breastfeeding vs formula that I found helpful.

Your kid is gonna be fine if you end up being able to exclusively breastfeed, if you have to supplement with formula, or if you have to feed formula exclusively. You are doing a great job!! This whole thing gets easier, I promise!

marchantia fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 11, 2019

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I gave birth on a Monday and it took until Friday afternoon for my milk to come in, and it wasn’t much at first. She lost 9% and we were close to starting formula but my milk came in the same day of her appointment.

Don’t feel bad about giving formula. It may only be temporary until things get flowing. In the olden days you would hand over your baby to a wet nurse. Just give it more time even though it’s super frustrating, your milk will come in eventually. Continuing to put your baby to the breast will help encourage your milk to come in.

Get some sleep, that will make a world of difference. Set aside a block of time where someone else can watch the baby and give them the formula, and all you need to do is sleep. That’s one benefit if formula, someone else can do a feeding so you can rest!

Kellymom.com has tons of great resources for breastfeeding.

The first few weeks are wonderful but hellish at the same time, but you will get through it! I was a complete wreck but things only got better.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Fed is best! Don't feel bad about formula.

If you do want to pursue breastfeeding, think about making an appointment specifically with an LC. At the hospital, everything can be rushed. It's different when you have separate appointments. They can really check latch, technique, etc and talk about your concerns. I think I had 3 or 4, plus a drop in because my guy was tongue and lip tied, so breastfeeding was hard until we got those fixed. It helped us a lot to meet with them frequently.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Thank you guys for the encouragement and for the advice. I’ve browsed around on Kellymom but there is just so much information that I get almost overwhelmed. Although overwhelmed might just be the word of the day.

The milk did come in, so that’s something! We’ve been able to nurse consistently since yesterday, although I still have no idea if she’s getting enough and feel like I’m doing it wrong, somehow. She’ll nurse from both sides in one feeding, which is encouraging, but sometimes only one side for 20 min and then I can’t wake her to do the other one. And if I try to burp her it almost never does anything but she farts a LOT while feeding. We’re going to a lactation “group” meeting hosted at my ped’s office today and have a one on one with an LC/RN there on Friday so I’m hoping it helps.

I’ve just been so tired and scared about all of these questions I’ve never considered (is she going to overheat in our bedroom at night because the swaddle we’re using is too heavy? if I have to put medication on a hemorrhoid and wash my hands with soap and hot water, does it matter that the soap isn’t antibacterial specifically? etc). I’m trying to address these things as they happen but it’s not always possible. My husband has been pretty involved and we do a lot of different things for her and the house at the same time, so it’s hard to find the time to do things like nap and even pump.

I did make an appointment to see my therapist so I guess at least that’s something I’m doing for myself. :derp: i know everyone says it’s hellish the first few weeks and I guess I knew that in theory but wow you guys were right and it’s a whole other ball game when you’re in it.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 13, 2019

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kellymom has a lot of questionable pseudoscience on it. Just FYI.

Edit: and your soap doesn't need to be antibacterial, just make sure you scrub well whatever kind of soap you use.

And my son was a 8-10 minute one side nurser and he chunked up adorably. Some babies are quick and some linger forever. Expect it to change too as growth spurts, etc. happen.

Also FWIW I exclusively nursed my son and I know if I ever have another I'm totally doing part or full time formula. I don't need the extra burden of being the only food source for months again. The benefits of breastfeeding, as noted previously, when you control for other factors (particularly socioeconomic status of the parents) are almost non existent. Feed your baby and love your baby and he or she will be great.

sheri fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2019

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
If your baby is really sweaty, the swaddle is too hot, otherwise they will be fine. Plain soap is 100% ok, antibacterial soap shouldn’t even be a thing because the act of using plain soap, hot water, and friction is what gets the germs off your hands. Wiping with a tucks or wet wipe first could help get the area a little cleaner before putting the cream on.

Finding a routine and therefore time to do other things takes a while. I think it took about five weeks before I had a predictable routine, and even then not every day is the same. I only pump once a day in the morning after her 7am-ish feeding, then there’s usually a two hour period where she sleeps and I can put her down and tidy up the house, shower, do laundry, etc.

If your baby is gaining weight, they are getting enough to eat. I go to a lactation support group every week and it’s great to be around other new moms and pick up advice about all kinds of things. They should have a scale there to weigh your baby. You can bring them hungry, get a weight, feed them, and get another weight to see how many ounces they ate.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Went to my first midwife appointment in Barcelona. The midwife was much better than the primary care doc I saw a few weeks ago but it was still a disappointing visit. I was expecting an ultrasound to confirm dates and that it's IUP, and found out they don't do ultrasound until 12-14 weeks! (I'm only 7 weeks now.) I don't really understand why they trust my stated LMP enough to not confirm it; in the clinics I used to work at I saw enough patients whose measurements were so far off their stated LMP I would never take it with anything but a huge grain of salt and only consider it a very rough estimate until confirmed. Also I was taught that ultrasounds for dating purposes are more accurate the earlier they're done because there's less opportunity for variation in growth and development. ALSO I'm low-key anxious about the possibility of an ectopic and would really really like to rule one out. I asked the midwife why they don't want to rule out ectopic and she was like "well you'll have pain and bleeding if you have one" EXACTLY I'd like to avoid that life-threatening emergency before it gets to that point.

I can pay out of pocket if I want to get an ultrasound done at a private clinic which I probably will do because I cannot wait five weeks for this information. Also twins run in my husband's family and I'd like to know if it's multiples too. Confirming cardiac activity would be nice as well.

In the U.S. I'm pretty sure it's standard to do an ultrasound at the first prenatal visit, right? When did y'all have your first ones?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I think its the opposite; its standard NOT to have an ultrasound until 12-14 weeks unless there is an issue with determining due date (like infrequent periods so LMP isnt useful) or threatened miscarriage.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Yup, my experience in the states is the same for both kids. Unless anything was out of the ordinary, no ultrasound until 12 weeks at the earliest. And actually, that's only if you opt for ultrasound for part of the down syndrome testing. Since I got free cell DNA for my second my first ultrasound wasn't until the anatomy scan at like, 20 weeks I want to say.

And they definitely don't check for ectopic here unless you have symptoms or a history of it already.

I also wish prenatal care was more comprehensive but lol good healthcare for women lol.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I actually had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured last year and can confirm it’s the same here. Even when I was bleeding and in pain they can’t tell from an ultrasound alone — you need to monitor hormone levels. AFTER you have one they check early your next pregnancy because you are more likely to have a second.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
They usually do what they call a viability screen here (groovy groovy California, only state in the US with a dropping maternal death rate :( ) to check for a heartbeat/non ectopic pregnancy at 7-8 weeks or so before scheduling the NT scan at 12 weeks. My LMP was off by two weeks which apparently is a common thing so I came in, got an ultrasound, measured fetal age of 6 weeks and was told to come back later. Someday I'm going to tell my daughter about having the poo poo scared out of me by my doctor not being able to find a heartbeat!

At 12 weeks postpartum with a chunky little baby now and graduating from the thread, but I wanted to thank everyone for being sane and not terrible on this awful place on the internet.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

boquiabierta posted:

Also twins run in my husband's family and I'd like to know if it's multiples too.

If they run in your husband’s family, then you’re not at any higher risk for twins. The gene for a higher chance of twins causes 2 eggs to drop from the Fallopian tube instead of one, so your husband having the gene would have no affect on you. That’s why twins skip a generation if the gene is coming from the father’s side.

Twins might run in the family on both sides for me. My mom recently got in touch with her birth father’s family and I was told to watch out for twins from her cousin (who is a twin herself). Also, my dad was a twin, but I don’t know if he was identical or fraternal because the twin died in utero after a motorcycle accident.

I’ll be having a nuchal translucency ultrasound in a week when I’m at 12 weeks. Just got some blood work and a urine test done today.

Picked up some probiotics to take care of a strong vaginal odour I’ve been having, so now I get to carry around a huge bottle everywhere I go so I can take it 3 times a day with food.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

A Game of Chess posted:

I actually had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured last year and can confirm it’s the same here. Even when I was bleeding and in pain they can’t tell from an ultrasound alone — you need to monitor hormone levels.

I've seen many ectopic pregnancies, pre-rupture, diagnosed by ultrasound alone. If it's too early in the pregnancy, like 4 weeks LMP, sometimes you can't tell where the pregnancy is at all because it's just too small and that's when monitoring hormone levels comes in. Maybe after rupture it's similar. But definitely at 6-7 weeks, without rupture, you should be able to confirm if it's intrauterine or not. We had patients come in with pregnancies measuring 8 or 9 weeks, cardiac activity and all, clearly sitting outside the uterus. We called 911 and treated them more gingerly than bombs.

Nessa posted:

If they run in your husband’s family, then you’re not at any higher risk for twins. The gene for a higher chance of twins causes 2 eggs to drop from the Fallopian tube instead of one, so your husband having the gene would have no affect on you. That’s why twins skip a generation if the gene is coming from the father’s side.

Is there no genetic factor for identical twins, then?

take me to the beaver posted:

They usually do what they call a viability screen here (groovy groovy California, only state in the US with a dropping maternal death rate :( ) to check for a heartbeat/non ectopic pregnancy at 7-8 weeks or so before scheduling the NT scan at 12 weeks.

Yeeahhh that's what I'm talking about. Wish that were standard of practice.

My friend is an NP who provides prenatal care in Delaware and she says their standard practice is to provide an ultrasound at first prenatal visit too, which is why I thought it was standard across the U.S.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 13, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan shoves the internal ultrasound up inside every visit in the first 3 months, especially the first visit. It's also used for other gyno exams like checking for fibroids, etc.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

boquiabierta posted:

Is there no genetic factor for identical twins, then?

Nope. Only fraternal twins run in families. Identical twins are random.

Because I know they run in my family, I’m excited to confirm quantity with my ultrasound. I’m looking forward to seeing proof that there’s anything growing in there at all. A friend seemed concerned for me the other day when I said I haven’t really been feeling the morning sickness beyond a few occasional episodes of queasiness. He was all, “But morning sickness is a sign that your hormone levels are high enough for a healthy pregnancy.”

I’m just counting my lucky stars that I don’t have hyperemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Your friend is full of poo poo, approximately 1/3 of perfectly viable pregnancies don't involve vomiting and half that don't get morning sickness. Uncommon? Yes, but it's likely enough that you shouldn't worry about it.