Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

how could the Navy keep a fresh supply of undesignated ship painters if it wasn’t for BUDs duds

Some of them luck out and get decent ratings, but not all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What percentage of then decide they didn't want to serve their country that bad when things didn't go their way?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

My favorite is when Marines sign six-year Force Recon contracts then fail out. They still get stuck for six years lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

What percentage of then decide they didn't want to serve their country that bad when things didn't go their way?

The Navy has a rather low reenlistment rate for first-termers.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

My favorite is when Marines sign six-year Force Recon contracts then fail out. They still get stuck for six years lol

My GT score was high enough for any MOS I wanted and my recruiter was psyched! He said "Choose anything!" I chose Force Recon. Then he said "Your GT score is high but you run like a big baby bitch, choose something else!"

Ended up doing 8 years anyway.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

how could the Navy keep a fresh supply of undesignated ship painters if it wasn’t for BUDs duds

Can't believe Blizerian got out of any commitment when he proved himself to be too terrible of a person to be allowed in a unit that carries tomahawks for glory kills, they should've made that dickhead paint boats

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 11, 2019

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Idk why but this gave me a good chuckle.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
BUD/S dud
bellringer
EOD Tech
etc

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Seabees get a good number of NSW drops as well. They are, almost always push to shove, the hardest working and adaptively intelligent of our guys.

Low bar there

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

The Seabees get a good number of NSW drops as well. They are, almost always push to shove, the hardest working and adaptively intelligent of our guys.

Low bar there

They were probably ideologically motivated when they joined lmao

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

wasn't the AF offering 150k reup bonuses for F22 pilots a while back and still only getting like a 30% take rate?

$420,000 to sign a 12-year contract. There was a downward scale from there. This used to be fighter pilot only, but has been expanded to ISR and mobility as well. In those fields, there was a huge 1% increase in the take rate. For fighters it was up almost 10% (into the 40s) and for bombers it crept into the low 50s.

Nystral posted:

What happens if you commit to 8 years but fail out of Flight School? You’re spending your 8 years playing golf and pushing papers?

You get reclassified to something that is has a manning shortfall. Which usually means an unpleasant job. We had a guy get medically DQed from flying while still in ABM training, they made him a personnelist (then a year or two later, canned about 2/3 of personnelists). Another guy with about 15 years developed migraines and became an intel officer. If it's a period where the AF is drawing down, they might offer you a free ticket to civilian life...I saw one of those, too.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I thought it was 10 years after flight school.

8, but it starts at a specific point in training. Ends up being about 10 in total.

mlmp08 posted:

This only holds true with the specific caveat that it's not worth the salary IF the assumption (reasonably) is that a pilot exits to get a job using their pilot qualifications. USAF pilot bullshit levels are as or more cushy than other branches, and an Air Force pilot is being paid over six figure by the time they can consider exiting the service.

So it's not that the bullshit is too much for the salary. It's that they have a specific skill they can often leverage to get out.

Another USAF problem: The USAF model requires a higher than average number of pilots to stick around for 20+ years compared to your average officer in the US military. Something like 50%(!) more. That doesn't happen. They retain about 15-20% fewer pilots than the military typically retains officers of any type. So aiming for 150% retention compared with peers and achieving about 83% retention is missing the mark in a big way, even if it's not that far off from the retention seen in other jobs/branches. It's less that USAF pilots are leaving in droves and more that they aren't staying around at abnormally high rates.

The main things the USAF pilots complain about are not unique; they just have unique qualifications to help make transition out of the military easier than most. Their top complaints are things like extra duties, moving too much, disliking deployments, military bases not being nice enough, getting jobs they don't like, disliking "up or out".

Another challenge, not just for the USAF, but for retention in general in civilian and military life: People are not that reliable in answering with what would keep them around or make them happy in a poll. It's not that they're dishonest; it's that people sometimes just really don't understand what's motivating them to either stay or go.

The goal is 65% retention. It's been in the 40s. And for a lot of people, it is absolutely the bullshit. I know a lot of pilots who do not fly professionally anymore. Neither of the pilots I commissioned with are still flying. One of the big things is that by the time you hit the halfway point in that commitment is that you're not flying much. You've got an excellent chance of being a classroom instructor, at a joint/exchange position, a paperpusher as a staff peon in a gig that probably doesn't count on your record as a staff job, a flight commander who spends most of his time reading OPR/award/dec/disciplinary paperwork, etc. And it doesn't revert, ever. Unless you end up in a highly-coveted job like teaching at the Weapons School or being in an aggressor squadron, you will fly less with every year after you've been a captain for a bit. In my career field, once you hit a certain number of hours, you only got to fly half as much. If you went to an exercise where you flew a bunch, you could expect to NOT fly at all until your currency was in jeopardy. Most pilots that I've known over the years joined the Air Force to be pilots. That's not the company line but it's the truth. When you replace all that pilot poo poo with the poo poo everyone hates, and you find yourself out of town for 2-3 weeks every other month between 6-12 month deployments and your kids don't know who you are, it takes its toll. And it's a cost that can rarely be repaid with a bonus. Part of the problem is the shortfall itself...being undermanned consistently means the remaining people have to pick up the slack, which burns them out, which pushes them out, and it cycles again.

Airlines hiring pilots away from the military is one piece of the puzzle and it's a big part of why the problem has gotten worse in the past few years, but even in years of slow hires, the AF hasn't been able to get folks to stay. I'm not sure retention rates have been at desired levels since the AF was roughly cut in half in the 90s.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The goal is 65% retention. It's been in the 40s. And for a lot of people, it is absolutely the bullshit. I know a lot of pilots who do not fly professionally anymore. Neither of the pilots I commissioned with are still flying. One of the big things is that by the time you hit the halfway point in that commitment is that you're not flying much. You've got an excellent chance of being a classroom instructor, at a joint/exchange position, a paperpusher as a staff peon in a gig that probably doesn't count on your record as a staff job, a flight commander who spends most of his time reading OPR/award/dec/disciplinary paperwork, etc. And it doesn't revert, ever. Unless you end up in a highly-coveted job like teaching at the Weapons School or being in an aggressor squadron, you will fly less with every year after you've been a captain for a bit. In my career field, once you hit a certain number of hours, you only got to fly half as much. If you went to an exercise where you flew a bunch, you could expect to NOT fly at all until your currency was in jeopardy. Most pilots that I've known over the years joined the Air Force to be pilots. That's not the company line but it's the truth. When you replace all that pilot poo poo with the poo poo everyone hates, and you find yourself out of town for 2-3 weeks every other month between 6-12 month deployments and your kids don't know who you are, it takes its toll. And it's a cost that can rarely be repaid with a bonus. Part of the problem is the shortfall itself...being undermanned consistently means the remaining people have to pick up the slack, which burns them out, which pushes them out, and it cycles again.

Airlines hiring pilots away from the military is one piece of the puzzle and it's a big part of why the problem has gotten worse in the past few years, but even in years of slow hires, the AF hasn't been able to get folks to stay. I'm not sure retention rates have been at desired levels since the AF was roughly cut in half in the 90s.

Right, so the problem with USAF officer retention sounds almost identical to the problem with all officer retention except for a few things:

-USAF wants to retain 50% more pilot officers than other branches/jobs have to retain officers, which is quite a hurdle to try to achieve.
-Pilots have a skill that make it a bit easier to transition, which contributes to only about 82% as many pilots sticking around compared with non-pilots. A shortfall, but not drastic except for the 150% of average retention goal model.
-I cannot imagine that the resultant high promotion rates help. Sure, it means if you stick around, you'll almost definitely get promoted. It also means there's a fair chance your O-4/O-5/O-6 boss is just the guy who stuck around. USAF O-4 promotios are essentially 100% (last year, it took affirmative action NOT to promote), promotion to O-5 is above 70%, promotion to O-6 sits north of 50%. Good for progression odds, but also means your boss may be an idiot or jerk or lazy person who just managed to hang on. Comparatively, in the Army right now, maybe 7 of 10 CPTs make Major, 2 of 3 Majors make Lieutenant Colonel, and 40-50% of Lieutenant Colonels will make Colonel. The O-5 to O-6 numbers are, of course, pretty inflated, because tons of people retire at O-5, because they know ahead of time that they aren't competitive for O-6 and get out.

So on top of the problems that every branch in the US faces with officer retention, you have a select group where the goal is to keep 50% more in service than is typical, they have a special skill, and only 82% as many stick around compared with other career fields. As a result you basically have to just stick around and not gently caress it up to be promoted to pretty senior positions, which I assume also contributes to the frustration among more junior officers or mid-grade officers (O-4) who have to deal with everyday bullshit on top of having officers who weren't selected from among the best, but instead from among those who stuck around.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Right, so the problem with USAF officer retention sounds almost identical to the problem with all officer retention except for a few things:

-USAF wants to retain 50% more pilot officers than other branches/jobs have to retain officers, which is quite a hurdle to try to achieve.
-Pilots have a skill that make it a bit easier to transition, which contributes to only about 82% as many pilots sticking around compared with non-pilots. A shortfall, but not drastic except for the 150% of average retention goal model.
-I cannot imagine that the resultant high promotion rates help. Sure, it means if you stick around, you'll almost definitely get promoted. It also means there's a fair chance your O-4/O-5/O-6 boss is just the guy who stuck around. USAF O-4 promotios are essentially 100% (last year, it took affirmative action NOT to promote), promotion to O-5 is above 70%, promotion to O-6 sits north of 50%. Good for progression odds, but also means your boss may be an idiot or jerk or lazy person who just managed to hang on. Comparatively, in the Army right now, maybe 7 of 10 CPTs make Major, 2 of 3 Majors make Lieutenant Colonel, and 40-50% of Lieutenant Colonels will make Colonel. The O-5 to O-6 numbers are, of course, pretty inflated, because tons of people retire at O-5, because they know ahead of time that they aren't competitive for O-6 and get out.

So on top of the problems that every branch in the US faces with officer retention, you have a select group where the goal is to keep 50% more in service than is typical, they have a special skill, and only 82% as many stick around compared with other career fields. As a result you basically have to just stick around and not gently caress it up to be promoted to pretty senior positions, which I assume also contributes to the frustration among more junior officers or mid-grade officers (O-4) who have to deal with everyday bullshit on top of having officers who weren't selected from among the best, but instead from among those who stuck around.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Number 1 is two pronged:

If they mean Honey Bees: Technically Honey Bees are an invasive species. If they mean native bees? Cool.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Save pollinators. Did you know that moths do a lot of pollinating? They're also an important part of the food chain.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

CommieGIR posted:

Number 1 is two pronged:

If they mean Honey Bees: Technically Honey Bees are an invasive species. If they mean native bees? Cool.

But non-Honey Bees produce nothing, and are therefore Bad For Capitalism, so gently caress them.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Kill all mosquitoes and all ticks.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Kill all mosquitoes and all ticks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ that. gently caress mosquitoes and ticks. Only good thing they do is feed spiders.

EBB posted:

Save pollinators. Did you know that moths do a lot of pollinating? They're also an important part of the food chain.

Gonna leave a piece of cloth out for my moth homies to munch on while passing through the neighborhood.

Kinda want to get a planter and grow some milkweed on my porch.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Appropriate to the thread title:

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1138680552444256256

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I believe that is the "fool and his money" stage

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrwMja_VoM0

Good poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Slim Pickens posted:

Can't believe Blizerian got out of any commitment when he proved himself to be too terrible of a person to be allowed in a unit that carries tomahawks for glory kills, they should've made that dickhead paint boats

Literally everyone gets shin splints/stress fractures and other overuse injuries like that during BUD/S, so after he got performance dropped in 3rd Phase he just kept running 15+ miles a day so they wouldn't heal and would show up on x-rays. Eventually the PTRR (over whatever they called it then) medical/therapists probably just shrugged on why it wasn't healing and sent him to be medboarded out. Most of the people who dropped just wanted HM or so they could play Marine or just a skate rate so they could either work on college or go back, but there's always a one or two people with wacky schemes like that I saw.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I thought Bilzerian got through BUDS but was DQed for unsafe poo poo repeatedly on on the firing range / shoot house.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A lot of officer SEAL candidates just leave the Navy. Meanwhile, for the enlisted drops, welcome to deck department.

They used to send BUD/S drops straight to JCAC if they had the ASVAB for it regardless of what the drops' aptitude was.

That almost always becomes another drop, and the Navy has a policy of if a new accession can't pass two schools, you go strike something as undesignated in the fleet.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

When I was at DLI a few years back my sailor classmates said they were basically told upfront if they got dropped before the end of the class they’d be unrated.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What does being unrated mean?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holocaust bloopers posted:

What does being unrated mean?

means the needs of the navy dictate your job

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lol yo gently caress that. So you’re basically a professional bitch?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

holocaust bloopers posted:

Lol yo gently caress that. So you’re basically a professional bitch?

Yup. Rated/designated means you're trained and billeted to do a specific type of job, like electrician, cook, SEAL, admin, whatever. Most enlisted sailors are rated, and it's the only way to advance past E-3. If you don't have a rate specified in your contract when you join, or you fail out of that rate's training, you usually end up undesignated.

Undesignated means you're just a general purpose "seaman". Unsurprisingly this means you get to do a lot of painting, sweeping, mopping, standing guard duty, and all the other bullshit that nobody else wants to do. Eventually you can strike for a rate and go into that career field, but until then you're generally stuck in whatever division needs dumb muscle.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bored As gently caress posted:

I thought Bilzerian got through BUDS but was DQed for unsafe poo poo repeatedly on on the firing range / shoot house.

Obviously I don’t know much about the particulars of his situation but especially back then, when they didn’t have unlimited applicants, getting performance dropped in third phase typically meant they hated you but couldn’t make you quit.

Friend of mine got dropped in the SWCC version of SQT because he glanced down while loading a crew served weapon. Even today you can get one chance to roll back (he had already rolled due to an injury). So “safety violations” are an easy way to thin out the class if you’re already past selection or just don’t like one dude in particular. The fact that they didn’t roll Dan back after he had almost made it screams that the instructors didn’t want him to make it.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yup. Rated/designated means you're trained and billeted to do a specific type of job, like electrician, cook, SEAL, admin, whatever. Most enlisted sailors are rated, and it's the only way to advance past E-3. If you don't have a rate specified in your contract when you join, or you fail out of that rate's training, you usually end up undesignated.

Undesignated means you're just a general purpose "seaman". Unsurprisingly this means you get to do a lot of painting, sweeping, mopping, standing guard duty, and all the other bullshit that nobody else wants to do. Eventually you can strike for a rate and go into that career field, but until then you're generally stuck in whatever division needs dumb muscle.

I saw a lot of buds duds get forced to MA cause “guns”.
They weren’t a happy lot.
It was prolly better back in the day when you came in, got rate training, then went SEAL or tried to at least. Some choice in your fall-back plan.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Friend of mine got dropped in the SWCC version of SQT because he glanced down while loading a crew served weapon.

What's this mean, he looked at the feed tray while loading a 240 like you're supposed to?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Slim Pickens posted:

What's this mean, he looked at the feed tray while loading a 240 like you're supposed to?

Yeah I'm super confused because whenever I loaded either of the two crew served weapons I used I always looked at what I was doing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I *always* visually confirmed positive control of the rotodome.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Dingleberry posted:

I saw a lot of buds duds get forced to MA cause “guns”.
They weren’t a happy lot.
It was prolly better back in the day when you came in, got rate training, then went SEAL or tried to at least. Some choice in your fall-back plan.

Steven_seagal_Im_the_cook.avi

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1139606150289252352?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress they mastered the matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Nobody tell them the Wachowskis don't exactly fit into their ideology