Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Are we getting Quickcam for 1.6.1?

e: Is the unmodded AI less dumb in 1.6.1? It seems like enemies work harder to get rear shots, and gang up more on my more vulnerable mechs a little better, but that might just be my imagination.

On the other hand I just had an enemy Locust decide to melee my undamaged Centurion, who I promptly punched into 1,000,000 bits, so lol whelp

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
They also added a “visited” marker so you know where you have been.

Unrelated: I feel like shops tend to have more consistent mech parts this time around. I was able to buy another vindi over two planets.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It'd be nice if we could change history and just ignore some of the ludicrous, dumb stuff that happens a few decades down the line, yeah.

And I agree, I feel like they'd need to realign the entire combat system to make Clan tech fit in. The current AI would also not work, because Clanners are dumbasses with dumb rules.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it really better to go for salvage, at least in the early game? In three missions I can get more than enough credits to get the parts for a medium mech.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I remember reading in this thread that someone who was doing some super hard mode thing that all money all the time is way better early on and just buy what you need.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it really better to go for salvage, at least in the early game? In three missions I can get more than enough credits to get the parts for a medium mech.

Early on do a couple to pay the bills then slowly scootch over to 2/8 then 3/14.

Always do 3/14 for the Assassinate missions though in case it's not a truck and you get that lucky headshot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it really better to go for salvage, at least in the early game?

Definitely not early on, when you're doing 0.5-1.0 skull missions, and all the salvage is Locusts and poo poo. Missions under 2 skulls are unlikely to give you parts for mech models you actually want for salvage. MAYBE a 1.5 skull assassination mission or battle can get you medium parts if the RNG is nice to you.

My ballpark number is 2 skull and up I start going for more salvage in general, and max salvage for assassination missions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Early on do a couple to pay the bills then slowly scootch over to 2/8 then 3/14.

Always do 3/14 for the Assassinate missions though in case it's not a truck and you get that lucky headshot.

Normally it's 3/14 for salvage, but I had one mission that was 4/20 (lol), and I have no idea how the hell it happened. I want more missions like that where I can fill up a dropship with battlefield debris.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Are we getting Quickcam for 1.6.1?

e: Is the unmodded AI less dumb in 1.6.1? It seems like enemies work harder to get rear shots, and gang up more on my more vulnerable mechs a little better, but that might just be my imagination.

On the other hand I just had an enemy Locust decide to melee my undamaged Centurion, who I promptly punched into 1,000,000 bits, so lol whelp

QuickCam 1.5 works just fine in 1.6.1 and doesn't need an update. Camera functions added or edited in 1.6 are related to camera hights for Urban biome, but nothing about timing.

The stock AI is better, each large DLC related update seems to roll in some AI improvements. The in between updates don't seem to warrant that.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Extended 3025 updated yesterday and it's been a blast. On my first mission out a pilot got shot in the head with a PPC and lived with needing 23 days in the hospital. I played a Convoy Ambush mission, against a medical team, that gave me -2 med tech points for a total of 32 days. I promptly dismissed them and hired a fresh face. I like to imagine we convinced them to go to the medical facilities downwell and just left

I'm not sure if those -2 med tech points, were a part of 1.6 / UW or from EX3025 but the idea of repercussions for taking missions is rad

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Amechwarrior posted:

QuickCam 1.5 works just fine in 1.6.1 and doesn't need an update. Camera functions added or edited in 1.6 are related to camera hights for Urban biome, but nothing about timing.

The stock AI is better, each large DLC related update seems to roll in some AI improvements. The in between updates don't seem to warrant that.

Nice!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Extended 3025 updated yesterday and it's been a blast. On my first mission out a pilot got shot in the head with a PPC and lived with needing 23 days in the hospital. I played a Convoy Ambush mission, against a medical team, that gave me -2 med tech points for a total of 32 days. I promptly dismissed them and hired a fresh face. I like to imagine we convinced them to go to the medical facilities downwell and just left

I'm not sure if those -2 med tech points, were a part of 1.6 / UW or from EX3025 but the idea of repercussions for taking missions is rad

That's Justin Kase's MASH mission mod. He's also on the BTX3025 team, and on cFixes with me. I'll let him know more of that could be used. I think those little touches are what brings the game out of just feeling like each mission is an instanced encounter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah it made the situation live and got me to make decisions based around it. Yeah, thanks for doing that, this stuff leads to a more dynamic feeling to a campaign

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So is there a list of recommended mods that are updated? Vanilla isn't really keeping my attention.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Redeye Flight posted:

It'd be nice if we could change history and just ignore some of the ludicrous, dumb stuff that happens a few decades down the line, yeah.

And I agree, I feel like they'd need to realign the entire combat system to make Clan tech fit in. The current AI would also not work, because Clanners are dumbasses with dumb rules.

They don't need to do anything to combat system for Clan Tech, they just need to balance Clan tech so it's not straight massive upgrades 100% of the time, all the way down. They already did that with dual heatsinks - it'd be just as easy to do it with Clan Tech.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So is there a list of recommended mods that are updated? Vanilla isn't really keeping my attention.

What sort of experience are you looking for vanilla+ or total revamp?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

What sort of experience are you looking for vanilla+ or total revamp?

Whatever folks think is fun. I'm flexible.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seconding this.

I put this game aside for a patch period, and I could use a list of 'make the game playable/better ' stuff.

Is ini hacking all the movement speeds still a thing?
Are there still essential camera-usability mods?
What about models/store mechs (unseen?)
Any recommended 'make the game more varied and funner' ones? What's 3025 extended?

You know, all that stuff.

Help.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'll list ones that say they've been updated:
  • BTX3025 - a vanilla+ mod that ups the variety of mechs encountered and is much closer to lore in terms of what you'll encounter per faction
  • XAI - this is a revamp mod with lots of new weapons, including lostech not available in vanilla. Also contains tons of updates to the strategic layer
  • dZ CCC - a vanilla+ mod that makes changes to the strategic layer but tries to leave the tech mostly 3025. Last time I played this was back in Dec but the only lostech was what should be available for the time period. Oh, this also has expanded mechs as well

I've played both of these before and they are fun in different ways. I personally wanted to do vanilla+ this run to see how UW felt with more stuff

There's also these but they aren't updated yet:

• XLRP -another revamp mod that's closer to XAI in style but just different opinions on how to go about it. The biggest difference is that you can turn on MechEngineer that lets you get into the real nitty gritty of mech customization
  • RogueTech - complete revamp with new skills and lots of future tech and is basically the kitchen sink mod if you want every toy possible regardless of how much sense it makes

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 11, 2019

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Seconding this.

I put this game aside for a patch period, and I could use a list of 'make the game playable/better ' stuff.

Any recommended 'make the game more varied and funner' ones? What's 3025 extended?

Help.

I make QuickCam, my original settings are now mostly stock as of 1.5 or so! HBS as integrated all but one or two settings in the default CombatGameConstants with just a little delay for new players. You can use QuickCam to take the short delays to zero, and I fixed a little issue with the camera moving faster. However it's no longer what I'd call mandatory, just a little speed perk if your already familiar with the game.

I hope HBS continues to add in QoL mods like color LoS and dotted IDF lines of fire. MechSpin would be another one that should be stock.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Anybody tried bfix 2.9.14? How much difference does it make to performance?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Go all-in on cold hard cash for your first couple of missions. Paying the bills is the least interesting/fun part of this game and that's priority #1 until you can start reliably downing enemy mechs with no fuss. Upgrade your mechlab first, the faster you can have your mechs repaired/refit the better. Once you've got a good cash base go all-in on salvage, eventually you'll hit a spot where you'll be fully assembling 'something' after every mission and selling those off will be your best source of cash flow.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheParadigm posted:

Seconding this.

Help.

you can json edit anything you feel like, movespeed or otherwise.

Essentially the full complete selection of PGI's mechs are also available, although half of those are obviously clan models.

Critical QoL mods are:
Firing line improvements ( https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/135 ) or if it gets updated (it's not, yet) https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/242?tab=posts&BH=0
Battletech performance fix has good speedups as well as compatibility support for un-updated mech packs (HBS removed shader code from the mech asset bundles and centralized it outside, to cut down on size and complexity, so pre 1.6 mechpacks need to be updated. Or you can have this mod). https://github.com/m22spencer/BattletechPerformanceFix/releases/tag/2.9.1
Melee mover: lets you choose which facing to melee attack from, assuming you have enough movement available https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/226

Or, really, a lot of the stuff in here: https://github.com/BattletechModders
Pilot health popup is great, etc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DatonKallandor posted:

They don't need to do anything to combat system for Clan Tech, they just need to balance Clan tech so it's not straight massive upgrades 100% of the time, all the way down. They already did that with dual heatsinks - it'd be just as easy to do it with Clan Tech.

Honestly just keeping DHS they way they work now would go a LOOOONG way to unfucking clantech - have the integral HS in the engine be SHS and then have the add-ons be DHS. It would make the designs run really hot and make them the high risk/ high reward style that the clans were always described as epitomizing.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thank you for all the answers. Illl go through em in ab it!

Last I remember from ages ago was a manual edit/mod that changes the amount of difficulty / the amount of missions generated / flags for difficuly hikes removed from story (argo flags?)

I like the idea of not being forced into assault mechs for every mission, and there being lots more choice.

Is there a mod that does that out of the box, or is it still a 'roll your own' choice?

There was also one big one that added like, conflict and factions that fight each other - like in a way that influenced mission variety and things - was this a mod or a main game update/dlc? that sounded really appealing to play with.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly just keeping DHS they way they work now would go a LOOOONG way to unfucking clantech - have the integral HS in the engine be SHS and then have the add-ons be DHS. It would make the designs run really hot and make them the high risk/ high reward style that the clans were always described as epitomizing.

I'd change the Clan weapons so they empthasize what Clans are supposedly about - pilot skill and duelling. High ammo consumption for the ammo using weapons (don't care about logistics in ritualized combat), accuracy penalties in exchange for higher damage per heat (don't need weapons that are easy to aim, Clan Pilots are supposed to be high skill), generally hotter running (because Clans have easy access to DHS) and no/shorter minimum ranges (beacuse Clanners hate supporting from range, they wanna get in there and duel).

Also, I'd give Clan pilots different skill trees that emphasize they have a different mindset. Sensor Lock to help your lance shoot better? Not very Clanlike. A Skill line that improves melee? Clans hate and suck at melee.

And yeah, obviously keep the current implementation of DHS, because it's extremely good and works.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
While at it do a revamp of the stock mech loadouts.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

And Tyler Too! posted:

Go all-in on cold hard cash for your first couple of missions. Paying the bills is the least interesting/fun part of this game and that's priority #1 until you can start reliably downing enemy mechs with no fuss. Upgrade your mechlab first, the faster you can have your mechs repaired/refit the better. Once you've got a good cash base go all-in on salvage, eventually you'll hit a spot where you'll be fully assembling 'something' after every mission and selling those off will be your best source of cash flow.

I just found a fully-built King Crab in a shop after one of the storyline missions. 11,500,000 c-bills. Curses, I only have about 5 million cash on hand.

*goes through inventory dumping the hundreds of medium lasers, LRM launchers, heat sinks, jump jets, etc* (also selling a pile of 50-and-lower-tonners I'll never have use for)

King Crab purchased. People who don't do max salvage beyond ~2 skull missions or so are bonkers.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 12, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cash rewards are a trap. Always go full salvage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

wiegieman posted:

Cash rewards are a trap. Always go full salvage.

I thought we were talking about credit cards for a brief moment when I forgot what thread I was in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The problem is that you save up your points to trade in towards that sweet King Crab, then you find out there are black out tonnages and restrictions on how many you can roll over annually and at best you're getting a Locust with a broken foot actuator that smells like stale beer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Artificer posted:

I thought we were talking about credit cards for a brief moment when I forgot what thread I was in.

0%apr for two years and a free Jenner with a new account.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hadn’t played since before the first expansion and forgot how much I liked the game and hated the load times. Had to reload a previous save on the way to the Prototype flashpoint since I was only carrying 2 mechs that met the tonnage requirements and wanted them ready when I got there. Then I got fairly wrecked on the 2nd mission since in my rush to do my first flashpoint I didn’t really optimize my medium mechs and gently caress that Mega SRM vehicle.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually, the load times have been annoying me too. Is it purely a hard drive speed issue or would having more RAM help, because I've been meaning to upgrade from 8GB to 16 anyway.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Anybody tried bfix 2.9.14? How much difference does it make to performance?

This cuts down my loadtimes massively and I don't even have modded units. However, if you are not using modded units, in the settings.json turn the "GhostBlipOverride": false, or else you will lose the orange silhouettes on contact. He did something to make 1.5 assetbundle mods work, but at the cost of losing the silhouettes. Fair trade given you can't really load your modded saves if you play with modded units.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Got an entire Cataphract out of a 2.5 skull assassination mission haha:getin:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
How much does the thread agree with the reviews of the DLC saying they're overpriced?
It does seem steep as hell that £15 isn't even getting me a new campaign, I dunno if I'm being a dick saying that though. I keep thinking of getting them then balking, even at the sales prices.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Taear posted:

How much does the thread agree with the reviews of the DLC saying they're overpriced?
It does seem steep as hell that £15 isn't even getting me a new campaign, I dunno if I'm being a dick saying that though. I keep thinking of getting them then balking, even at the sales prices.

It really, really improves the career mode to the point that it’s really the game after you beat the campaign once. If you’re on the fence I’d say it’s worth it at the sales price.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

It really, really improves the career mode to the point that it’s really the game after you beat the campaign once. If you’re on the fence I’d say it’s worth it at the sales price.

:agreed:

Without the DLCs, career mode is just an :effort: sandbox with nothing but randomly generated generic missions, and the "real game" is the Arano Restoration campaign. Once you've run that into the ground it's kind of... all there is.

With the two DLCs, campaign mode contains like 28 of the flashpoint mini-campaigns in it or something, plus all the other little improvements and additions. It's a lot of non-random content, but you can do it in whatever order and at whatever pace you feel like.

I think a lot of the bad reviews are people playing for half an hour and declaring it poo poo before they even got to the new DLC content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're still playing the campaign, and think you're going to stop and move on to something else once you've finished it, then you can skip the DLCs.

If you've finished the campaign and still have a hankering for more Battletech, the DLCs are absolutely essential.