Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Presumably none of the JJTrek cast will be in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

That's it. It came to me in a flash of insight. That's what Discovery is: Star Trek Minus Star Trek.

it's just a brand now

would be funny if loving Tarantino of all people injects some creativity into it and gives it a spine again, still seems like it's unlikely unless he has the pull and genuine desire to make it happen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Urban is a champ and I would watch a Tarantino R-rated Trek movie starring him in a heartbeat, preferably called The Real McCoy

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tighclops posted:

it's just a brand now

would be funny if loving Tarantino of all people injects some creativity into it and gives it a spine again, still seems like it's unlikely unless he has the pull and genuine desire to make it happen

Regardless of what you think of his movies, Tarantino is an absolute ur-nerd and definitely gives a poo poo.

What comes out of that, we'll see.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

Quentin Tarantino Confirms His Star Trek Movie Will Be Rated R

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/06/11/star-trek-quentin-tarantino-movie-r-rated/

Ugh, I probably dig Tarantino more than most people but please stay the gently caress away from Star Trek

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kill SPOCK Unchained Part 1

Featuring Lt. Dax

No, not the Trill

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm saying is get ready for the Feet page on Memory Alpha to quadruple in length

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

What I'm saying is get ready for the Feet page on Memory Alpha to quadruple in length

The Enterprise is grabbed by a giant green lady god's foot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Presumably none of the JJTrek cast will be in this

Hard to say. SJ Clarkson's Star Trek 4 and Tarantino's Star Trek were being developed completely independently from one another, but after Pine and Hemsworth walked from doing 4 (Hemsworth said in a recent interview, in very diplomatic but clear terms, that it wasn't over money but because he thought the script was terrible), and afterwards Clarkson's movie was said to be officially dead, I wouldn't think it outside the realm of possibility that they try to use the Kelvin cast.

I hope they don't, though, because Quinto Spock suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

and because JJ Chekov is dead :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They will do it with deepfakes

https://youtu.be/ipL9ecBLTfk

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

and because JJ Chekov is dead :(

Nah, they should do the 3 armed red guy from TAS.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Forget Lt. Arex (James Doohan isn't even around to do the lovely voice anymore). Bring Chekov back like this:

CHEKOV: (filmed from behind, in a Captain Pike wheelchair, played by an actor with almost the same hair color as Anton Yelchin) BOOP.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Snorb posted:

Forget Lt. Arex (James Doohan isn't even around to do the lovely voice anymore).

YOU ARE WITHOUT HONOR

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Tighclops posted:

it's just a brand now

I think he could do a good job if he absolutely does not make the film about Federation characters. Do a Klingon epic, a Ferengei heist film, a Cardassian spy-thriller. Give us a perspective that lets him be him without tarnishing the Federation further.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's pretty much the same exact information from the round of articles about Tarantino Trek from a year or two ago, updated with a slightly more recent quote of him saying "yeah sure, why not"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Orv posted:

Regardless of what you think of his movies, Tarantino is an absolute ur-nerd and definitely gives a poo poo.

What comes out of that, we'll see.

Yesh, my money has always been on him out-Sething Seth Macfarlane and making a Trek that "gets it" and shocking the hell out of everyone. Like it would be nothing like a regular Tarantino flick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/evelyn__wren/status/1138621534497492992?s=19

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astroman posted:

Yesh, my money has always been on him out-Sething Seth Macfarlane and making a Trek that "gets it" and shocking the hell out of everyone. Like it would be nothing like a regular Tarantino flick.

I would enjoy this, but I would also really prefer it if Star Trek stayed in the PG, maaaaybe PG-13 range. I don't think R would fit Trek any more than it would Star Wars.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

NC-17 Trek it is!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

NC-17 Trek it is!

CAT.2

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NC-17 Trek it is!

pft i've been reading that for years

Orv
May 4, 2011
Garcon, check!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

NC-17 Trek it is!

NC-17

NCC-1701

I've cracked the code!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Orv posted:

I think it's apt, if broadly pithy and if we don't do that here I don't know what else we've made nearly 60K posts about. It's pretty clear no-one is being actually lovely about it in that way.

30,000: Shipchat
10,000: "Move Along Home" apologism
5,000: TAS love

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

This is Pick in 35 years.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Heh, in DS9: Apocalypse Rising, they have Jake leaning over a railing to watch people walk across the promenade, but he's so tall at this point he has to basically fold in half to do it.

It's also hilarious how Sisko keeps doing the Klingon voice even when there's no reason to, like after Martok exposes them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Aww yiss.

https://twitter.com/zbgolia/status/1138489910757920769

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I would enjoy this, but I would also really prefer it if Star Trek stayed in the PG, maaaaybe PG-13 range. I don't think R would fit Trek any more than it would Star Wars.

Not that this necessarily disproves your point, but Discovery is already there, so this whole idea is way less crazy now.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’m 100% on board for Tarantino Trek. Even if it failed, it would be an interesting failure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Laterite posted:

This is Pick in 35 years.

Guilty as charged

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's always weird the first few times Weyoun shows up (Weyoun 4? 5?) when they hadn't gotten the Vorta look quite down and he just looks like a doughy, haggard Combs

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's always weird the first few times Weyoun shows up (Weyoun 4? 5?) when they hadn't gotten the Vorta look quite down and he just looks like a 2019 Combs

fixed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I imagine him constantly asking Picard questions like this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“Do you love to go wandering beneath the clear blue sky?”

:swoon:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Star Trek: Can you remember the tallest man you've ever seen?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkNQ8l9XqQ

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting from the Procedurally Generated thread:

quote:

Star Trek: The Next Generation

In the Deep Space 9 Starfleet Operations, Captain Benjamin Sisko and Chief O'Brien were called in to discuss the disappearance of Professor Arrigo sooty5 who had been on leave for a recent engagement here in the Federation. Arrigo had been set up by the Cardassians as a mock scholar and the Cardassians wanted to send a letter to Starfleet before he left; Sisko decided it was more than just a procedure that would be high treason. After O'Brien offered his desperation for help to Sisko, Sisko agreed to help save him, along with helping him with his work to familiarize himself with the wiring necessary to fix the potato chip dispenser in the mess hall to avoid getting a "sandwich as pink as a fly's bum." With repairs on the local maintenance onStar collegeYalaors finally included Cardassian fixes to Freesides machinery. Rush, a Weyoun, was appointed "Surgeon General" after the recommendation for a female physician. After some time, Sisko…. Meanwhile, Chief O'Brien had concluded that the idea he should seek another arm and have Kitty Pryde come to the station to find him was not a good thought…. Meanwhile, Bashir got some good news. He had survived the trinary star near Lursa which steered the wormhole he was designing… If Bashir survived that he'd be doing so as an assimilated Cardassian. Worf and Odo were on the case for the Ferengi. Quark was looking into harvesting mulberry juice from monstrous fruit, which unfortunately he was this time again surprised to find handled by …sophisticated food workers! One other off screen aspect of the setting was that supplies of moonshine) were running low. Debauchery on the station continued. When Epps demanded several grams of Lysian grain and Bajoran pulp he was sent to Bajoran Singsham to be
sentenced to be shot. Later, the Unnatural Blot invades Cardassian space and the Jem'Hadar destroy Washington Spacedock using the massive wormhole bomb (which wasn't part of the deal at the time and is still not explained from either side).

The following six hours saw several more developments, courtesy of Bashir suddenly having a sexual encounter with Quark, Romwell's failure in his effort to use a Changeling to kill Klingons in their trysts and the arrival of a dangerously rare animal.

Guest Stars

Also appearing in this episode were Dukat (Arrogant) and Quark (Circus Freak):

Paul T. Lukesh (The one and only Jet) Cameron Lee Musgrave (Hot Cop):

Reference Books

Reception

AM Best Companion (Anthology, 1989): p. 436, "Quark"

4/15/01: Bryan Fuller, then President and Chief Creative Officer for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, described this episode and its characters as follows: "To me, the episode was brilliant. And yet the character was a conundrum, a teaching moment. We talked about characters like that – again, it's easy to write plot, it's difficult to write character," he nonetheless continued, "For example, we talked about O'Brien's frustration at Quark when he's running a serious facility, is a good idea? And Bashir talking about Cardassians' frustration with him and Cardassians who are trying to say 'Hey, that's just what the Cardassians do.'" (Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages, p. 115)

Robert Hewitt Wolfe said, "Quark is like a piece of gew,wale, turf." (Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages, p. 117)

James Cawley regarded this episode as "remarkably fatalistically intertwined with the original offering". (Star Trek Monthly issue 27, p. 65)

Remastered information

Production timeline

This episode aired on Tom Renda's recommendation and after the first viewing. It was shot on December 8 and 23, 1993. It was partially scripted on November 25, 1992 and partially teleplay on January 4, 1993, based on Michael Piller's script. As Renda predicted, the first viewing of the episode prompted Odo to attempt to establish a relationship with Quark, as he was distracted by his work at DS9 and by the absence of Quinn on the station. (Cinefantastique, Vol. 30, No. 9/10, p. 65)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*yells* THIS is Arrigo sooty5!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

I imagine him constantly asking Picard questions like this

More like the junior cadets, and whatever answer they give, he either side-eyes them or gives a little sigh of despair mixed with disgust.

That's why he's got the rep we see in lower decks

Either that or it's part of the ultimate millennia-tested PUA technique that he learned from the Iconian gatekeeper.