Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rollersnake posted:

I don't know if the disc 16 tracklisting is necessarily indicative of this, but if they initially intended to have A Reminder follow The Tourist as the last track on OK Computer, that actually would've worked pretty well.

Putting it there does break the whole cycle feel of the album that The Tourist looping back into Airbag gives it, but I do really like A Reminder and think that it would have been nice to have it in the tracklist somewhere.

Honestly the OK Computer B-sides are all incredibly good, they could have put out a double album if they wanted to and gotten away with it (though there would be even more Electioneering hate, I feel).

Also I'm really surprised that there wasn't a longer version of Polyethylene Part 1 on the minidiscs anywhere, but maybe it never actually was more than that. Heck, now knowing how his minidiscs work, it's entirely possible that it was just a little acoustic recording Thom did immediately before putting Polyethylene onto the disc, he liked how they sounded back to back, and that's how we got Polyethylene Parts 1 & 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I assume there's probably still a substantial amount of recordings from around this time that haven't leaked, considering Man of War and Meeting in the Aisle are nowhere to be found among any of these discs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 12, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
back in some pub in 1986, thom was really close to breaking up On A Friday until some time traveler from the future appeared before him, to take him ten years into the future to show what he'll be one day. upon traveling to 1996, they accidentally knock out modern day thom and he had to take his place for a couple hours while the band practiced for their upcoming album

that the only way I can imagine how "my funky cloak" got made

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still haven't listened to that or Attention in all my skipping around. I need to get on that as soon as I get home. Is it, like, Pop is Dead terrible?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
A lot of the new songs do appear to fit with the Pablo Honey style, but I also wonder if that's also due to them almost exclusively being acoustic or 'bedroom' recordings.

It also appears that the Bandcamp release is a distinct and higher quality file from the leak, which would make sense given the minidiscs had obviously been captured/converted for the production of OKNOTOK.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rollersnake posted:

I assume there's probably still a substantial amount of recordings from around this time that haven't leaked, considering Man of War and Meeting in the Aisle are nowhere to be found among any of these discs.
I don't think Man of War was actually recorded during the original OK Computer sessions - in the Meeting People Is Easy documentary, it's being recorded during one of the tours. In fact I would not be surprised if the released version of Man of War was recorded from scratch during the AMSP sessions. There's a story that they recorded and submitted it when they were asked to do a Bond soundtrack during AMSP, but it was rejected for not being newly written material (and thus not eligible for awards) so they did Spectre instead (which was then rejected for unknown reasons). Now that this leaked Lift version exists and can be compared to what was actually released, I also wouldn't be surprised if the OKNOTOK version of Lift was recorded around the same time. The drum sound in particular sounds very subdued compared to the OKC era, and it sounds more like the drum sound on The Numbers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The subject of that message made me chuckle.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
There's a pretty substantial update in the Google docs file outlining how the group of old Atease hardcores got hold of the leaks, although no real details on the actual leak itself.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i was hoping for a version of Lift without the synth/theremin and so far i've been disappointed. i can't stand that synth on that song.

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 12, 2019

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want Radiohead to go back and record all of their unreleased material as Stock Aitken Waterman-esque synthpop bangers.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
There are longer Bends-y jam versions of True Love Waits, Paranoid Android, Airbag, and Let Down; True Love Waits being the standout. You could just about cut an LP with this tracklisting:

Airbag
Paranoid Android
Exit Music
Let Down
Electioneering
No Surprises
True Love Waits

maybe some other stuff in there

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Oh this’ll probably just be 18 hours of alternate takes and random noodling. Nothing interesting.”

*first track is Exit Music smashed with Life in a Glasshouse*

:stare:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Would it be possible to make a a scrpit or something similar that could cut the FLACs up and make tracklists out of them?

It just seems like splitting it up into 4 or so 'albums' would be pretty good. Something like; New Songs, Early OKC, Lost Demos Etc and Live Soundboards with maybe a final collection of chit chat and noises.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HD DAD posted:

“Oh this’ll probably just be 18 hours of alternate takes and random noodling. Nothing interesting.”

*first track is Exit Music smashed with Life in a Glasshouse*

:stare:

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too.

It's kind of mind-blowing that all of the weirder/more experimental tracks off Amnesiac are essentially remixes. Like Spinning Plates is I Will reversed, Life In A Glasshouse was once the chorus of Exit Music, the background in Push/Pulk was the electronic version of True Love Waits, and Morning Bell/Amnesiac is, well, Morning Bell.

[Edit: huh, a reporter who heard Thom play an early version of Glasshouse in 97 was closer than they knew: "Thom is handed his black acoustic guitar, and he begins to play a quite exquisite song that lies somewhere between 'Exit Music' and 'Climbing Up The Walls'. "Once again", he sings, "I'm in trouble with my only friend/She's been smashing up my house again...living in a glass house.""]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 14, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The OK Minidisc spreadsheet was updated again this time with a much more in-depth explanation as to how this whole thing leaked.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol the Discord chat log wow. And it’s funny they made a secret Discord council to formulate a plan. Ol’ Zimbra got too freaked out by all the heat and threat of being doxxed.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
‭(916) 619-6192‬

Call it

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'm still just stunned the OKNOTOK cassette contains a version of Climbing Up The Walls you can gently caress to.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

new thom album next week

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1141709548878741504

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
His solo albums aside from the first one have been booty hopefully this ones a little more fully formed. Amok especially was disappointing, I bet the original sessions before thom and Nigel chopped it up into digital mulch were awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think I'm more excited for the Paul Thomas Anderson film than the album, but both could be cool.

Though while I love The Eraser and Amok, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes really didn't stick with me.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
His Suspiria score is great. I’m hoping this is more aligned to that than Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes or The Eraser.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I can't stop listening to the new version of Lift on the hacked minidiscs!

By modern standards it's a bit lofty and maybe even stadium-rock corny. But it carries a lot of weight — it's strange to listen to this track and realize that it probably would have been an enormous hit and redefined the band's popularity, but instead it sat collecting dust in a bin.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Thom solo album is out and it's very trippy and cool. I gotta watch the Paul Thomas Anderson thing now.

e: The visual component is cool too, I just wish it wasn't a third of the length of the album. It's basically an extended music video covering a few songs from the album.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 27, 2019

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Ya there's an accompanying short directed by PTA on Netflix, pretty cool

https://www.netflix.com/title/81110498

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I want to listen again, but my first impression last night was that I preferred this to any of his other solo stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Blast Fantasto posted:

I want to listen again, but my first impression last night was that I preferred this to any of his other solo stuff.
I still prefer The Eraser because it has a special place in my heart and I think the songwriting was stronger on that one, but I've listened to this one twice and it's pretty great! Definitely gonna stick with me more than Tomorrow's Modern Boxes did.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah this feels a lot more substantial than TMB.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

i like Dawn Chorus a lot

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm only on the fourth track and I've heard two samples that were used on 15 Step - the clapping sample in Traffic and the cheering children sample in Twist.

Twist feels like a sequel to Guess Again from TMB, down to the tempo and the dark piano chords, but with a lush quality that TMB lacked.

edit: I Am a Very Rude Person is great, probably my favourite so far. I'm pretty sure I've used a DAW where the default metronome is the intro of Not The News.

edit2: Apparently the cheering children sample wasn't used for 15 Step, they actually recorded children themselves for that one. Weird that it turned out so similar to that stock sample

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 27, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Runwayaway almost feels like the sequel to Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors with that same vocal effect.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
Twist went from the worst song pre-release to being one of the standouts on the album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening again and this is definitely my favorite thing I've heard from Thom since Amok 6 years ago.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Listened a few times since release, liked it more every time. Really impressed by this, definitely his best solo record (though The Eraser is pretty strong too)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wow Dawn Chorus sure is bleak

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Dawn Chorus is just an instant classic, isn't it? Straight into the top tier of tracks in the Radiohead/Thom canon.

(Although I must say, with any great solo song I can't help thinking 'this would be even better if it had the full Radiohead treatment. Probably unfair, but still...)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dawn Chorus does feel like it could have been on A Moon Shaped Pool. I feel like it's an even more defeated version of Daydreaming.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It probably had its chance as a Radiohead song. AMSP was released under the company name "Dawn Chorus LLP" so the song was seemingly on his mind back then. According to an old interview its been around since 2009.

TVN on the 23th of March in 2009 posted:

AV: Thom, ¿cual es tu cancion favorita escrita por ti para Radiohead? (Thom: What is your favourite song you wrote for Radiohead?)

TY: Pause. Whatever... I'm finishing at the moment. Um, there's one called "Dawn Chorus" I’m trying to finish at the moment: that's really great... I think.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A new Thom interview!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBuj29gFvsM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Dawn Chorus does feel like it could have been on A Moon Shaped Pool. I feel like it's an even more defeated version of Daydreaming.

Yeah definitely. I'm surprised they didn't save it for the next RH album or release it as a single. It works really well as a solo track but it'll inevitably get far less attention this way.

I hope the band adopts it in future live shows.