Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Sardines are the chicken of the sea, because they kinda taste like chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DiggityDoink posted:

do you go back and read a thread from the beginning occasionally?

Y-y-yes? :ohdear:

Honestly, I also just knew he was the OP, and remembered him closing the thread and a mod reopening it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Grudgerm posted:

Sardines are the chicken of the sea, because they kinda taste like chicken.

they taste like the lime juice I squirt into the can (over the sink, in my underpants)

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fine sar-dining for late lunch with some cherry matos from the garden

These were Brunswick in olive oil and pretty flavorless tbh but I'm full and happy so whatever.

I found some brisling the other day which is next on the list to try.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

naem posted:

they taste like the lime juice I squirt into the can (over the sink, in my underpants)

drat how big are those limes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BurgerQuest posted:

These were Brunswick in olive oil and pretty flavorless tbh but I'm full and happy so whatever.

That looks really good, even with the subpar dines.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BurgerQuest posted:

You’ve inspired me to grow tomatoes in my back yard which I can’t believe I’ve never done before

naem
May 29, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

drat how big are those limes

I just buy those plastic squeezy jars shaped like a lime

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Youve inspired me to grow tomatoes in my back yard which I cant believe Ive never done before

Tomatoes are super easy to grow too. Just make sure you water them daily if you're in a hot area.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Maldon salt so good

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Plan on having more tomatoes than you know what to do with. I underestimated how big my few plants would get, and even after eating tomatoes with nearly every meal all summer I had so many left that nearly half of my freezer was bags of them.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

DiggityDoink posted:

Tomatoes are super easy to grow too. Just make sure you water them daily if you're in a hot area.

With tomatoes and peppers, I water daily for the first week or two after planting but then I just let them go and keep them weeded. Seems to make the tomatoes more flavorful if they're not relying on daily water.

I'm in Tennessee, so if you're in some place like say, Texas, where it can get scorching hot and the leaves are burning, yeah you probably want to water them daily.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

pahuyuth posted:

Maldon salt so good

I've been using it on my sardines and oysters as well, outside of this thread. Gives it a nice crunch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yesterday our power went out at 3 PM during a heavy storm, and it stayed off until almost 8 AM this morning, which sucked. I told my wife we weren't going to open the fridge or the freezer to keep our food from spoiling. Luckily, I had half a loaf of storebought sliced pumpernickel and a Haas avocado sitting out on the kitchen counter, completely by random chance. So for dinner by candlelight, I mashed up the avocado on two slices of bread and topped them with a can of Canario sardinillas en aceite picante (my favorite non-KO 'dines). It was practically gourmet, and a heck of a lot tastier and less depressing than eating the 'dines straight out of the can -- although I do that often, and they're still fine.

My wife doesn't share my love of 'dines, although I keep cans of Cole's smoked trout in the pantry for her. Those are so good, sometimes we just pop one of those open during non-emergency conditions.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat I bet canned smoked trout is pretty rad.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Y-y-yes? :ohdear:

Honestly, I also just knew he was the OP, and remembered him closing the thread and a mod reopening it.

2 years later and I'm still wondering how ya'll eat the dang bones.

e: 4 years goddamn. whole lotta 'dines dined.

Necros fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 11, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:getin:

Unfortunately they arrived kinda late today so I'm gonna eat em later tonight so as not to spoil my dinner.

naem
May 29, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

:getin:

Unfortunately they arrived kinda late today so I'm gonna eat em later tonight so as not to spoil my dinner.

thems good eatin

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

naem posted:

thems good eatin

I hope so! I wanna like little canned fish but I tried sardines again a few months ago and bounced off that poo poo hard. Hoping this mackerel's good. Think I'm gonna order a can of their kippers to try too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The cats have officially gone berserk and I had to brandish the spray bottle to get them to gently caress off.

This stuff is WAY more firm than I was expecting. Definitely more than the sardines I had. Made sure I got some of the olive bits and the seasonings on the cracker with it.

Tried it and this poo poo is pretty drat good. Nice flavor. Very slight fishy aftertaste, almost like the aftertaste of imitation crab. Currently devouring the rest of the can (gonna save a couple tiny bits for the cats).

Think I'm gonna order a bunch more of this poo poo.

E: really digging how firm this stuff is. Gives a real good chew to it instead of just disintegrating in your mouth after the first bite.

And man if the cats could overpower me I'd be in serious danger rn.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 12, 2019

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The store I shop at has the KO regular, Mediterranean, and lemon mackerel. The lemon one is good stuff. Looks like they make jalapeño mackerel as well, but haven't seen it in stock.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Only KO thing you can get at my local groceries are regular olive oil dines. Pretty easy to order their other poo poo on Amazon tho. I'll have to give the lemon one a try too. Here in a little bit I'm gonna order a box of 12 of the med mack, plus a couple singles of stuff I haven't tried yet like the lemon and the kippers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

And man if the cats could overpower me I'd be in serious danger rn.

The cats can overpower you any time they want, but they are playing the long game.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Trader Joe mackerel and smoked trout are seriously good

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm in rural Virginia. Unless you wanna drive a half hour to a larger town you either get Food Lion or the kind of grocery store that's a monument to poverty.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Keith Atherton posted:

Trader Joe mackerel and smoked trout are seriously good

This is the truth, hallelujah and amen and all that.

Honky Dong, if you think the firmness of different brands might be a barrier for you and you prefer firmer fishies, try Belas. Amazon has them and those in Lemon are really good. They're big and meaty and usually have a big ol' spine for us BONE LOVERS but by being so large they are easy to get out for anyone that be an inferior bone hater.

Also I will never want to be in a world without some got-dang Wild Planet White Anchovies. Really firm and not as oily as mackerel but a lot more flavorful than sardines. Mother of god, I think those are the single best kind of canned sea dwelling creature I've ever had.

That is all I have to say about sardines etc today, thread. Now I'm gonna eat some :coolfish:

e: holy poo poo I never thought to look at the varieties of white anchovies on Amazon :getin:

e2: lol it's great seeing Fancy Feast cat food with sardines on the same page as all this poo poo on Amazon

sardine: a multi-species culinary delight

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gave little small bits to the dogs who ate it but didn't seem all that impressed. One cat wouldn't eat it, despite going nuts over the smell. The other cat loving devoured the lil bit I gave him, licked the plate, and then tried to bury it like it was a turd.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drat I bet canned smoked trout is pretty rad.

This is the stuff we always keep on hand. At $5 per can, it's expensive for canned fish, but it's absolutely delicious and high quality.

https://www.colestrout.com/shop-online/smoked-trout

I find it locally at Fresh Market (sometimes marked down a buck), but you can also get it on Amazon. I don't know if the Trader Joe's smoked trout is this same stuff rebranded, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little cheaper, regardless.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Any of ya'll have issues with gout when eating a lot of sardines? It's one of those foods that is said to contribute to it and although I've never had a problem before and I haven't been diagnosed with it, my goddamn big toe hurts if I eat sardines for a couple of weeks without taking a break from them. What an awful loving thing I just want to eat canned fishies all the time :(

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

pahuyuth posted:

Any of ya'll have issues with gout when eating a lot of sardines? It's one of those foods that is said to contribute to it and although I've never had a problem before and I haven't been diagnosed with it, my goddamn big toe hurts if I eat sardines for a couple of weeks without taking a break from them. What an awful loving thing I just want to eat canned fishies all the time :(

ya got gout

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

This is the truth, hallelujah and amen and all that.

Honky Dong, if you think the firmness of different brands might be a barrier for you and you prefer firmer fishies, try Belas. Amazon has them and those in Lemon are really good. They're big and meaty and usually have a big ol' spine for us BONE LOVERS but by being so large they are easy to get out for anyone that be an inferior bone hater.

Also I will never want to be in a world without some got-dang Wild Planet White Anchovies. Really firm and not as oily as mackerel but a lot more flavorful than sardines. Mother of god, I think those are the single best kind of canned sea dwelling creature I've ever had.

That is all I have to say about sardines etc today, thread. Now I'm gonna eat some :coolfish:

e: holy poo poo I never thought to look at the varieties of white anchovies on Amazon :getin:

e2: lol it's great seeing Fancy Feast cat food with sardines on the same page as all this poo poo on Amazon

sardine: a multi-species culinary delight

I fear we may lose this one to boquerones.
Down that lemony and sunshiney path too many tread and ne'er to dine return.

pahuyuth posted:

You got gout.
Gout can get so painful you can't get socks and shoes on and off and can make grown men cry when they try to walk on it. Be careful with them fishes and other gout-y things. Especially booze.

e: vvv not to get all Goon Doc on you or whatever, but depending on your age and if you're otherwise relatively seemingly in decent shape, go get checked out or ask about it next time you talk to a real doctor. If you're in decent shape and just get flare ups from some dines and some friday night brews, could mean you got some filtration issues going down, and might want to have them look at you a bit. But if you're sorta unhealthy or drinking a lot and eating a lot of other gout stuff, could just be, well, gout stuff, runs in families too. Just saying to keep healthy out there every body. vvv

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 14, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
ya I thought so. gently caress. gotta cut way back on my two favorite things. don't worry goons i will beat this and continue to eat canned fishies when appropriate for the consuming of 'dines has only made me stronger to begin with

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My buddy started getting gout at age 50 (like it was agony to have a bedsheet touch his big toe) and takes a cheap prescription drug that enables him to not build up lactic acid and he can eat the dines again

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Moderation y'all, drat lol.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys please don’t try to survive on canned fish and booze.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

withak posted:

Guys please don’t try to survive on canned fish and booze.

gently caress outta here

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

withak posted:

Guys please dont try to survive on canned fish and booze.

It's not worth living if i cant do that.

naem
May 29, 2011

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Pro as gently caress za toppings.

I'm sad about that though, the place my family orders pizza from stopped carrying anchovies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't understand that. The little bastards come in a can and keep forever. I can't imagine it's much of a burden to keep a can of two around. Well, not forever forever, but I imagine at least a year unopened.