Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does Rhue's date have a name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Does Rhue's date have a name?

No one's mentioned her name yet, and I suspect (but can't remember for sure) she didn't have her faceset in the 1.0 release so her lines were just credited to "The Girl".

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I was looking into the other game Indinera released after Laxius Power 3 but before he went commercial with Laxius Force. A game I haven't played called Blade of Heaven. Uses Lufia graphics largely. Set in the Laxius universe but a completely different planet. The html manual that came with this had this profile of one of the lead characters, and when I finished reading it I was laughing so hard I was crying.

quote:

Name : Bellenue de Labacca
Gendre : Female
Height : 1.61 m
Weight : 47 kg
Measurements: 80A-50-82
Personality : Quiet
Birth Place : The Beacon
Family : Father living in the Beacon, Mother killed by a random encounter on the beach, no brother or sister

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 9: Mischief Unfolds At The Dinner Party In No Small Part Due To Rhue.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 12, 2020

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rhue is such an endearing shitbird sometimes.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Tonfa posted:

Rhue is such an endearing shitbird sometimes.

You know how the biggest difference between Jake “The Snake” Roberts as a babyface and as a heel was who he decided to target? I see a bit of that in Rhue, and I also appreciate these moments

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Fleshwit posted:

Next time, Rhue goes to court!

Yesssssssss

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well hey that was a nice idea for a segment. It has the problem that "the player cannot accomplish the one thing he needs to accomplish" but eh I guess.

You know, speaking of which, for all of the time we spent looking for Dancing Violet, we actually know remarkably little about her. She also died with minimal fanfare too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We learned that she wasn't Serena. After that, she stopped being important.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 10: Rhue the Defendant!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 12, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
My ideal vision of that sequence would have featured Rhue plunging the bailiff/judge/Icabod/Moffat or any combination of those as a final trial.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol this episode is the best.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 11: Rhue the Rhoon!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 12, 2020

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I feel like I've been in a haze since Episode 6 started. Did Gaius kill Rhue at the start of the episode? If not how did we get to a city populated by a crap ton of dead people? Why has Rhue not even questioned all the dead people he's met here? Most recent of which he killed consciously himself? What is going on? What are we doing? Why are we doing it?

:psyboom:

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I feel like I've been in a haze since Episode 6 started. Did Gaius kill Rhue at the start of the episode? If not how did we get to a city populated by a crap ton of dead people? Why has Rhue not even questioned all the dead people he's met here? Most recent of which he killed consciously himself? What is going on? What are we doing? Why are we doing it?

Don't worry, I think this is intentional. It's part of the strangeness of this episode. A large part of why I like it. As for what we're doing, -that- is the one clear thing we have. Sacrifa and Rhue are the only two perturbed by being here so suddenly, so they wanted to find out what they can. Sacrifa thinks the answer lies atop The Arm of Estrana/The Phantom's Edge. And that's shielded, so we gotta jump through hoops to get there.

As for sidequests, they both elaborate or at the very least hint at a lot of things important to figuring out some of the more obscure details of the story/setting. Also, you need to do pretty much all of them to unlock the two alternate endings, one of which is my favourite, the other, I kinda dislike it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

This is me right now as well. I'm sure it has a point but it's weird to just change things suddenly like how episode 6 began.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

what in gods name did i do

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
How sweet it is.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This episode is absoluitely the highlight of the series.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think Gaius shoved us into the world inside Rhue's Sword which has all the people it killed inside of it. The thing with Sorya just confirmed it. And I bet that spire is our way out.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I think Gaius shoved us into the world inside Rhue's Sword which has all the people it killed inside of it. The thing with Sorya just confirmed it. And I bet that spire is our way out.

That's an awful lot of people for it to be true.
Did he also stab some buildings food and tech for good measure?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Well... moxi boxes were never mentioned before, and no one had teleporters just lying around either like they do now. Or 'complete' auras shielding towers from prying eyes.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Fleshwit posted:

Well... moxi boxes were never mentioned before, and no one had teleporters just lying around either like they do now. Or 'complete' auras shielding towers from prying eyes.

Is that so? i seem to remember a mention of remote vieweing tech when we visited estrana. Not sure if it was CALLED a mox box.....

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The way those boxes are talked about, it almost feels like we've got a Rhue van Winkle situation. But with all the dead people, notably people he's killed, I have a sneaking suspicion The Girl is Serena.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 12: Hollow Victory.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 12, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Regallion posted:

That's an awful lot of people for it to be true.
Did he also stab some buildings food and tech for good measure?

Well Rhue's sword is a Shadow Sword and Rhue is prob not its first wielder. We might even find some of the others inside Frostmourne-ville.

As for why it's Estrana, that I have no idea.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Turns out I have to go away on a short holiday a day early due to a family medical emergency, so I won't be making the update I planned to leave on. Be back in a week or so though, depending on how soon after it I feel like getting back to work.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
https://twitter.com/RPGMHistoria/status/1138801407501524995

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Right, finally back. The next update might be tomorrow or as soon as tonight, depending. We'll soon be chipping away at the glut of sidequests in our neverending quest to unlock the two alternate endings.

Oh, and... I guess we have to figure out how to climb The Arm of Estrana/The Phantom's Edge again and find out just what the deal with Serena is or some crap.

In other news, I had the time while I was away to play and finish Villnoire, since its rather short. The creator says 12 hours or so and I can't have played it much longer than that, but its hard to time when you're merely playing it inbetween going out to places to eat and all that kind of stuff you do on holidays.

I really enjoyed it personally. The story is a kind of standard anti-prejudice deal, but there's some rather daring and bold choices for some specific scenes as well as the details of some characters backstories, and their development. I could completely understand if people lost sympathy for two different protagonists after certain reveals but... it worked for me.

I teared up at the end, which is rather bittersweet, so I personally think the author did something right.

Solid game I enjoyed a lot and I'd recommend it for sure. Very, very polished. Probably has some of the more balanced JRPG gameplay I've experienced too, since it has something close to actual attrition with the low money drops and high item costs.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've been kinda cold on this game, but this LP's been hella entertaining and I do wanna see how this ends!

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 13: Shadows.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 12, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Some things never change.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Just caught up on the thread. There's a sort of schizoid, naive charm to all of the writing in all this that's oddly compelling. I have no idea how I'd characterize the story if trying to describe it to someone else. There's a bunch of politics driving the main narrative, but also constant goofy slice of life segments, but also a bunch of weird existential mystery stuff that keeps not getting resolved. It's not remotely coherent but it kind of works despite that?

Also the "changing names" tangent Sorya went on seems to gesture towards impending Super Obvious Twist #2, that Rhue and Jeruh are the same person, which is... yikes

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 14: An old friend.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 12, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Supplementary Update: The Books.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 12, 2020

Friendofdean
Aug 21, 2015
I remember having serious problems with that underwater gates puzzle when I played through Episode 6. I'm pretty sure I stopped playing soon after this too. I vaguely remember losing my save file and ragequitting because the last time I had saved in a different slot was before that gate puzzle. And then I got a new computer and didn't transfer the save file over so I lost it anyway.

Also remember being really, really glad that we got to interact with Lexus again. She was my favorite female character, and I probably had a bit of a crush on her when we met her because she was like, the one character that Rhue interacts with that doesn't have any hostility between them at all along with that beautiful theme song. In my defense, I was 15 and lonely at the time. And then you found out she was a mob boss and the daughter of the head of the VC and a solid arena duelist all within a short space of time, and then she dies. It kinda went too fast for my teenage brain to process properly at the time, so I think I fixated on her a bit until she showed up here again.

Still wasn't enough to get me to put her in my battle party again though. That fighting style was awful even to my rose-tinted eyes.

Sorry, just felt like spewing my personal thoughts on Lexus a bit.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is something that makes Lexus worth bringing along, and honestly Thorn of a Rose does do absolutely massive damage to enemies and not that much to allies if I recall.

Plus, we're getting so much XL now the sapping isn't actually that big of a deal.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Friendofdean posted:

Sorry, just felt like spewing my personal thoughts on Lexus a bit.

Don't apologise, because this kind of thing is why I made this thread. It's hard to explain, but I've wondered a lot before and during this LP if it was possible to do this game justice in this day and age, to my most likely audience. It's a product of a very specific time, a reaction to RPGMaker games long forgotten. A reaction to a perceived lack of innovative stories and characters in professional grade RPGs of the time (this probably goes for a large portion of the better early RPGMaker output actually) and it was made for an audience of people who I'd bet a lot of money on were mostly in the 13-18 age bracket, and probably weren't the most popular kids at school to boot.

I know I saw lots of posts mourning Lexus after Episode 4's release. I don't think it's quite ever hit me all that hard even though she and Lyrra were two of my favourites when I was also a lonely teen. As I've gotten older, I've shifted to favouring Kloe, Cetsa and Sorya (at a distant third) more but don't take that to mean I like Lexus or Lyrra less than I ever did.

I used to really hate Cetsa. A lot. But she's now probably in my top 5 of The Way characters, along with Rhue, Strata, Kloe and Slade. I've always been fond of the three guys but... I think I've come to understand both Kloe and Cetsa a lot more as I got older. Cetsa, I know I'd do anything to get out of jail not once, but twice, so I don't really fault her for demanding so much of and then manipulating Rhue anymore. She even comes to realise just how bad she was and admits that part of her motive really was that she did enjoy being pursued by Rhue. She honestly wants to change too, but in the end, is denied even that attempt.

Kloe though... I've always identified with her a bit too much. I used to hate that though. Kloe has that line in the expanded version of her internal monologue at the start of Episode 4, when she's nearly executed when she wonders why she's just letting it happen. That she doesn't care about actually living, but she's also too scared to die. That's always felt to me, personally, like one of the most genuinely human thoughts I've seen in a game. Though, I'm sure some other game has to have brought up the same or a similar idea sometime, but I can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

There's also the stuff about not wanting to live without the guy thats rejected her, but we'd be here forever if I embarrassed myself talking about that kind of thing. It's also a relatively common theme in stories.

But yes, that loving underwater switch monster puzzle is one of the worst things Lun ever did.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 6: Part 15: At last, the Val Parra Cafe.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
We're on the verge of a new page aren't we? So bump!