Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tent caterpillars, the bane of the pacific northwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's not a spider web and I don't think the ones above are either. It's where caterpillars gestate. I see those in the mountains all of the time in the spring. Imo they are actually kind of fun to look at.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Busket Posket posted:

No no no no no

I went to get pictures of the giant spider webs from Australia or Greece and found there was a similar phenomenon in Dallas, TX, which is only 4 hours from me. Probably less if you’re traveling via windborne web and there’s no traffic. No no no no no.

It chapter 2 looking good

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The fact those two guys in the last picture aren't dressed as if they were about to go into Chernobyls reactor distresses me to no end.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

veni veni veni posted:

That's not a spider web and I don't think the ones above are either. It's where caterpillars gestate. I see those in the mountains all of the time in the spring. Imo they are actually kind of fun to look at.

Re: the ones from Dallas:

“‘At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland,’ said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. ‘Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs.’

As creepy as it is, it's not the work of one giant spider, but a community of thousands. No one knows exactly why the spiders joined forces, but it's a surprising level of cooperation among the eight-legged engineers that has even insect experts scratching their heads...”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like how humans are always banging on about being the dominant species on the planet, meanwhile there are literally trillions of bugs who don't give a gently caress about us one way or the other. The entire Order Mammalia might as well be rocks for all they care.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, if they were intelligent enough they probably would give a gently caress about the amount of habitat reduction+pesticide use which have both drastically reduced insect populations in the last few decades, especially for flying insects(which is bad because they pollinate)

not to be a downer but we absolutely have a huge impact on insects

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Now that the thread it back up open, have a savory cool down treat!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

I've always loved this picture. As a child I would spend a lot of time in the occult section the library (before the internet! :corsair:) perusing books on ghosts, cramming my brain with images that would keep me awake at night. I don't believe in ghosts anymore, and it's obvious someone just walked up the stairs during a long exposure, but something about this picture still makes my skin crawl, even though I find it beautiful. The way the arm is invisible and way too long, the black emptiness under the translucent hood, the bent posture, the Escher-esque angle of the staircase, it's all wonderful. It reminds me a lot of a Beksinski pencil drawn piece. I wish I could find a huge print of it to frame and hang.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

veni veni veni posted:

quote:

We'd also get massive swarms of gypsy moth caterpillars. They spin big communal web sacks in the crotches of trees and venture out to eat all the drat leaves they can find. My neighborhood had a lot of trees around and if the city wasn't on top of spraying there'd be hundreds of them wobbling around in the street or grass, getting run over by cars or eaten by birds and dogs. The nests would look like thick sheets of cobweb with a mass of dark, squirming worms inside. If you were in the woods, every now and then one would fall onto your head.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Busket Posket posted:

Re: the ones from Dallas:

“‘At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland,’ said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. ‘Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs.’

As creepy as it is, it's not the work of one giant spider, but a community of thousands. No one knows exactly why the spiders joined forces, but it's a surprising level of cooperation among the eight-legged engineers that has even insect experts scratching their heads...”

Imagine hating spiders after they do you such a solid.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.entsoc.org/PDF/2010/Orb-weaving-spiders.pdf

E: PYF creepy research punlications

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

Ick at flying bitey ants. We also get “love bugs”, so named because they mate and stay stuck together until they die, 2-3 days later. They don’t bite, but they do swarm over buildings, cars, and people, and their guts eat away at paint. Local car washes will offer special heated bug gut cleaner when it’s love bug season.

Also they're sexually attracted to the smell of hot asphalt and weren't described scientifically until the 40s somehow. Very weird things. I guess they were introduced, but from where?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ReidRansom posted:

Also they're sexually attracted to the smell of hot asphalt

oh man, who isn't

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
https://i.imgur.com/4umsYzy.gifv

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, we get it, goons like bidets. :rolleyes:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I loving loved the Ghostbusters toys

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

I think my favorite part of this is the concluding paragraphs where they explained putting together an informational package for the plant managers that could have effectively been described as 'getting to know and enjoy your world-wonder of arachnid environments', and included such handy suggestions as 'remove webs and breed fewer flies to reduce the issue' and 'orb weavers aren't particularly dangerous' and 'for the love of God please don't listen to the MULTIPLE pest control companies trying to tell you to hose down your WATER TREATMENT FACILITY with pesticides'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

oh dope posted:

I've always loved this picture. As a child I would spend a lot of time in the occult section the library (before the internet! :corsair:) perusing books on ghosts, cramming my brain with images that would keep me awake at night. I don't believe in ghosts anymore, and it's obvious someone just walked up the stairs during a long exposure, but something about this picture still makes my skin crawl, even though I find it beautiful. The way the arm is invisible and way too long, the black emptiness under the translucent hood, the bent posture, the Escher-esque angle of the staircase, it's all wonderful. It reminds me a lot of a Beksinski pencil drawn piece. I wish I could find a huge print of it to frame and hang.

I liked that one too. My favorite is this one:

As a kid, I also checked out everything on the paranormal I could get my hands on in the library and snap up any book on hauntings or ghosts at the school book sales to the degree it really wouldn't surprise me if my teachers were expecting me to grow up to be a necromancer or something. This picture I've seen claimed to be from multiple locations including Borley Rectory, and I'd love to know something more definitive as to where it's supposed to be from. Back when Fox was airing all the various paranormal real or not shows, this picture popped up as the one they claimed had to be real since the experts were able to debunk all the rest they showed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ReidRansom posted:

Also they're sexually attracted to the smell of hot asphalt and weren't described scientifically until the 40s somehow. Very weird things. I guess they were introduced, but from where?

Nah, not introduced, per se. They're native to the Gulf Coast, but they've been expanding their range from everybody mowing nowadays. (their larvae live in grass clippings)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Nah, not introduced, per se. They're native to the Gulf Coast, but they've been expanding their range from everybody mowing nowadays. (their larvae live in grass clippings)

Ahh, I see. Makes sense. I'd always just assumed they were introduced because of their rapid expansion since the 50s, but yeah I guess mowing, especially along highways and such would explain it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

The real question is where did they live before grass clippings happened?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randaconda posted:

I haven't seen them in years tbh

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The real question is where did they live before grass clippings happened?

Possibly some highly specific leaf litter conditions. This sort of thing happens a lot; as stated in the giant communal web study above, 'bridge' orb weavers are almost never seen in any other environment, having probably lived on overhanging ledges over rivers that have mostly been worn down by human activity and replaced with bridges. Cellar spiders, likewise, are mostly known for living in out-of-the-way spots in human dwellings, but originally inhabited narrow, specific environments like the mouths of caves and abandoned burrows. Both inhabited very specific environmental spaces and are now ubiquitous due to having been coincidentally highly adapted for human presence.

E:
Cellar spiders are these chummy buds:

And bridge orb weavers are these handsome fellows:

Cellar spiders are kind of awesome to have around, as they do an excellent job of pest control, including discouraging other spiders, and aren't very visible...though occasionally they get FUCKOFF HUGE toward the end of their life with a legspan that's probably in the ballpark of six inches, so there's that. Not as fun having something like that drop in while you're showering because they're old and clumsy and were trundling around your bathroom ceiling.

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jun 13, 2019

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Not as fun having something like that drop in while you're showering because they're old and clumsy and were trundling around your bathroom ceiling.

:kimchi: In my head I saw it as Hans Moleman going "Oh no, down I go!" as it dive bombs you :kimchi:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

E:
Cellar spiders are these chummy buds:

Cellar spiders are kind of awesome to have around, as they do an excellent job of pest control, including discouraging other spiders, and aren't very visible...though occasionally they get FUCKOFF HUGE toward the end of their life with a legspan that's probably in the ballpark of six inches, so there's that. Not as fun having something like that drop in while you're showering because they're old and clumsy and were trundling around your bathroom ceiling.

I saw that guy and wondered what the difference between a Cellar Spider and a Daddy Long Legs is, and turns out they're the same species. Those guys are bros, and I've always had a soft spot for them. My dad used to straight up eat them off the walls/ceiling/floor though (seriously, he'd just grab them and pop them into his mouth) and he used to love doing it to scare my friends. He'd show them the guts on his tongue and everything, it was disgusting and hilarious.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Soysaucebeast posted:

I saw that guy and wondered what the difference between a Cellar Spider and a Daddy Long Legs is, and turns out they're the same species. Those guys are bros, and I've always had a soft spot for them. My dad used to straight up eat them off the walls/ceiling/floor though (seriously, he'd just grab them and pop them into his mouth) and he used to love doing it to scare my friends. He'd show them the guts on his tongue and everything, it was disgusting and hilarious.

:staredog:

So how was being raised by Renfield?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

oh dope posted:

When I first saw this picture as a kid I never saw the ghost, I just saw the glowing thing with three eyes and screaming

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Ha. And, yeah; they're one of at least three bugs that sometimes gets called Daddy Long Legs in some places. The other two I know of are Harvestmen:

And crane flies:

What's amusing is that all three tend to inspire some incredibly severe fear responses out of a lot of people, and yet...all three are essentially harmless. Harvestmen make frequent appearances in this thread for unsurprising reasons, but they're really just cool little chelicerates that are neat for many of the same reasons cellar spiders are. Technically harvestmen and cellar spiders CAN bite you, but it's almost unheard of even when pestering them. Their mouthparts just really aren't designed to do damage to larger creatures, and the venom of cellar spiders is incredibly weak and doesn't appear to elicit much reaction from people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soysaucebeast posted:

That's madness. That is madness.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Soysaucebeast posted:

what the gently caress

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Speaking of more or less harmless horror bugs may I present to you the dobsonfly, otherwise know as the hellgrammite?

The adult form of it is rarely seen. They spend most of their lives as big, gross larva that live under rocks in the river and eat other creepy crawlies so most people never encounter them at all. This makes sightings of adults uncommon even where they live in large numbers as they don't stray far from the river. They don't live long as adults; while their larval lifespan is in the years adults don't even eat. They only live a week or two as that's just long enough to gently caress and die. Needless to say when they come out you occasionally get somebody posting a WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS THING? OH MY GOD IT'S AWFUL post on bug and/or image forums.

Why? These things are huge. They're often as long as your hand. This one is a male; you can tell because of its huge mandibles. It uses those to latch on to the female when they mate. They're too big to actually be useful in hurting things. Females have more functional mandibles that can potentially deliver a nasty bite but even then adults are generally pretty docile. Once they've done their business they're just waiting to die so they don't tend to cause actual problems other than scaring the crap out of people.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

This is honestly disturbing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Was your dad a Battletoad?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Soysaucebeast posted:

I guess it is better than being an alcoholic?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

the venom of cellar spiders is incredibly weak and doesn't appear to elicit much reaction from people.

What I always heard, (and I am assuming it is an Urban Legend/playground wisdom), is that ounce for ounce, Daddy Long Leg spider venom was the most potent venom in the world. But they were harmless to humans due to 1)their mouths and fangs were too small to pierce human skin, and 2) coz they are so small, and we are so big comparatively the amount of venom they would inject wouldn't be enough to kill, or even irritate a human.

Can any Spider scientists confirm or disprove?

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Buggered

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BrigadierSensible posted:

What I always heard, (and I am assuming it is an Urban Legend/playground wisdom), is that ounce for ounce, Daddy Long Leg spider venom was the most potent venom in the world. But they were harmless to humans due to 1)their mouths and fangs were too small to pierce human skin, and 2) coz they are so small, and we are so big comparatively the amount of venom they would inject wouldn't be enough to kill, or even irritate a human.

Disproved by science, and common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

BrigadierSensible posted:

Pretty sure this is bullshit; what would be the evolutionary advantage of a species like the harvestman having such insanely powerful venom that it could only use in specific circumstances? It would take a ton of resources to produce venom, strong venom sacs, injection muscles/hydraulics, for little benefit to the animal.

Speaking of spider bites, I remember reading something saying that doctors are pretty wont to identify almost anything small and itchy as a "spider bite" even though a) doctors are not etymologists/arachnologists, b) there are tons of different skin conditions that look almost exactly like a spider bite and c) you have to try pretty hard to get most spiders to bite you. Most species are pretty timid unless you're a yummy prey insect, or it's one of the very identifiable species of deadly spiders and they happen to have hidden out in your shoe or something. There are only a few spiders that even have venom dangerous to humans, and even then serious injury is rare and death is even more rare. Spider deaths are about 8x less common than deaths due to beestings in the US, for example, at about 7 per year.

I can't remember where this discussion has gone already, but just in case, the myth about swallowing spiders while you're asleep is also likely just a thing people tell each other to gross them out. Spiders are clever predators and it's unlikely that they would approach something as very obviously Large And Smelly And Loud And Alive (and thus, potentially dangerous) as a sleeping human.

What I'm saying is we in Euro-descended countries give spiders a very bad rap and have a bunch of weird myths to back it up, even though they're actually pretty cool and helpful. I'd be interested to know where that comes from, culturally. Just an association with filth or something?