Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

RottenK posted:

speaking of shadowrun, was Shadowrun Hong Kong good

i really liked Dragonfall

Yes, the gameplay is better, the main narrative is not as great but the missions are a little more varied and fun. I absolutely recommend it if you liked dragonfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

gary oldmans diary posted:

Once you start killing lower and lower rungs of criminals and find yourself stalking a guy you saw jay-walking it becomes difficult to establish trust for meaningful relationships and eventually you give up on them altogether. I say this as a person with retractable arm blades.

really the number of people you kill in pretty much any action RPG would make you some kind of post-morality revenant creature, retractable armblades or no

people start to see things differently after a military tour of duty where they kill a few people. what kind of monster would you be after the eight hundredth time *that week* you've shot someone in the head?

if anything it should really add some difficulty checks to the romances.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I think that was taken way out of proportion though. They showed some raytracing screenshots of a couple of signs and you had to really zoom in just to see that one of those signs was depicting a trans character. It's very possible that was the intention, but it doesn't jive with me. It seems more likely that CDPR/Nvidia were just looking for some good screenshots of the raytracing in effect and just went with the first good ones they saw.

CDPR has told us in their own marketing material—which includes secret messages that you can extract—that they know that every screen they are going to share is going to be dissected by a ravenous fan base. CDPR knows they are building hype and slow drip releasing content to keep us enthralled until release in 2020.

When asked about it, the art director who made it claims to have thought carefully about the ad and what it means.

quote:

“Personally, for me, this person is sexy,” Redesiuk said. “I like how this person looks. However, this model is used — their beautiful body is used — for corporate reasons. They are displayed there just as a thing, and that’s the terrible part of it.”

I don't know what the 'correct' proportion is to blow things into, but you don't get to argue that they are immune from criticism because this wasn't really something they were paying attention to.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It seems you can't really win though, since the trans community is divided itself and has no clear idea of what is and isnt ok

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the art director seems well-intentioned but i'm not inclined to trust cdpr as a whole

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'm one of the trans people, I side-eyed the ad until the interview with the art director, I've talked about it with friends in my nearly exclusively queer circle. A whole lot of the continuing discourse is concern trolling and actual misrepresentations of what mainstream media transphobia tends to be.

thank you arbiter of what is and isn't transphobia

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

It seems you can't really win though, since the trans community is divided itself and has no clear idea of what is and isnt ok

it's almost like minorities as a whole find it hard to agree on the more minute things of what is and isn't discrimination because we all come from different backgrounds

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

doingitwrong posted:

CDPR has told us in their own marketing material—which includes secret messages that you can extract—that they know that every screen they are going to share is going to be dissected by a ravenous fan base. CDPR knows they are building hype and slow drip releasing content to keep us enthralled until release in 2020.

When asked about it, the art director who made it claims to have thought carefully about the ad and what it means.

I don't know what the 'correct' proportion is to blow things into, but you don't get to argue that they are immune from criticism because this wasn't really something they were paying attention to.

It’s a good thing I never made that argument then. :)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Themage posted:

Okay? there are plenty that dont feel the same as you wrt the ad, trans folk in my circle are incredibly pissed off at the exploitative poo poo cdpr is doing

I mean if the in game version of Coca-Cola using a pin-up trans girl to sell sugar water is enough to get you and your friends incredibly pissed off, you might wanna just sit this game out all together, because if 2077 stays true enough to the source material then that's just gonna be the tip of a very, very big ice berg.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

it's almost like minorities as a whole find it hard to agree on the more minute things of what is and isn't discrimination because we all come from different backgrounds

Maybe none of us should be making statements about whether something contentious is definitively or objectively transphobic, then.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean if the in game version of Coca-Cola using a pin-up trans girl to sell sugar water is enough to get you and your friends incredibly pissed off, you might wanna just sit this game out all together, because if 2077 stays true enough to the source material then that's just gonna be the tip of a very, very big ice berg.

or cdpr could not use harmful stereotypes to fake woke sell a game

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aurora posted:

What about the other people doing the same thing, from the other side of the argument? What makes them the arbiters, that the unoffended trans people lack?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Aurora posted:

the art director seems well-intentioned but i'm not inclined to trust cdpr as a whole

We're all arbiters.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pussy Cartel posted:

Maybe none of us should be making statements about whether something contentious is definitively or objectively transphobic, then.

Schubalts posted:

What about the other people doing the same thing, from the other side of the argument? What makes them the arbiters, that the unoffended trans people lack?

presumably these people are coming from a position where they view it as hurtful as their own point of view and people going 'actually it's totally fine' is a bit more demeaning than the people upset by this arguing about it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Hey guys, does it matter at all that the ad makes complete sense in the setting? Does that... matter?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pylons posted:

Games are political.
Who, besides Ubisoft, are saying they aren't?

Agnosticnixie posted:

ngl Amanda Lear isn't the greatest example because rumors that she was a specific person in the Paris cabaret scene before changing names to Amanda Lear have abounded since the 70s.
Not even kidding here, it's the first time I've ever heard of that - we must be in very different circles.
I just unironically enjoy disco music.

Themage posted:

again, just because you dont find it offensive doesnt mean everyone feels the same
It's almost as if there isn't a uniform opinion because there isn't a global hivemind. :thunkher:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Because who ever is the most upset is also the most right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Because who ever is the most upset is also the most right.

these comments are really helpful, thank you.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

presumably these people are coming from a position where they view it as hurtful as their own point of view and people going 'actually it's totally fine' is a bit more demeaning than the people upset by this arguing about it

I'm personally upset that my perspective as a trans person gets dismissed because it's somehow insufficiently or improperly trans compared to those of others.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm personally upset that my perspective as a trans person gets dismissed because it's somehow insufficiently or improperly trans compared to those of others.

did i imply this or is this what someone else said

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pussy Cartel posted:

And I'm loving upset that my perspective as a trans person is dismissed as concern trolling, so I guess it's just a two way street then.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

Who, besides Ubisoft, are saying they aren't?

Not even kidding here, it's the first time I've ever heard of that - we must be in very different circles.
I just unironically enjoy disco music.

It's almost as if there isn't a uniform opinion because there isn't a global hivemind. :thunkher:

dunno, the vast majority of social media posts are definitely anti-terrible ad, with only dumb gamers being for it

really makes you think

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Themage posted:

again, just because you dont find it offensive doesnt mean everyone feels the same
Yeah dude, way to chide that person for stating his own opinion. Your opinion overrules another person's definitely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aurora posted:

wow talk about arguing in bad faith Aurora

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pussy Cartel posted:

Yeah I think the fact that this thread has also been filled with so much saying "well they should ask transgender people on how to do actually do representation right" has some kind of hosed-up implications in regards to trans people who thinks the poster is fine

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

glad to hear its good, thanks for the responses

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

wow talk about arguing in bad faith Aurora

i know, right?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Hey guys, does it matter at all that the ad makes complete sense in the setting? Does that... matter?

Apply that line of thought to the Turner Diaries or the Gor books. Internal consistency isn’t sufficient to make it ok.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

did i imply this or is this what someone else said

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I think the fact that this thread has also been filled with so much saying "well they should ask transgender people on how to do actually do representation right" has some kind of hosed-up implications in regards to trans people who thinks the poster is fine

Basically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aurora posted:

"I thought about it and talked to my friends and we thought it was okay" isn't telling other people their opinions are wrong. Stop with this spin.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah dude, way to chide him for stating his own opinion. Let him know that yours overrules his.

lmao shut the gently caress up chud, if people find it offensive you dont get to decide if it matters

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

"The Game's Art Director posted:

Redesiuk said that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 includes many people who are gender-nonconforming, some of whom enjoy showing off their bodies in public. They are a demographic group with significant purchasing power, and so, megacorporations use their likenesses to sell soft drinks. It’s supposed to be a play on the same sort of hypersexualized advertising that modern companies use to sell products today, just brought in line with the kind of future CD Projekt wants to portray.

“In [the year] 2077, especially with how much body modifications are available, I think people just mix and match however they want, however they feel,” Redesiuk said. “And even society is more open to different kinds of relationships.”

The_White_Crane posted:

Funnily; there are many of them, some of whom enjoy showing off their bodies in public, a large enough group to have significant purchasing power, and yet when people in this thread ask "where in the stuff we've seen is there trans rep besides the fetish poster" the response everyone gives is "maybe they all look so cis you can't tell".
Because none of these "many gender non-conforming people" actually exist in the game based on what we've been shown.

It would make sense if we were seeing footage of a game where the statement that gender non-conforming people were common was actually true.
But the footage we've seen doesn't bear that out.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i don't think the basic statement of 'i don't think this is in good taste and don't like it' invalidates your experience or opinion but everyone has been very personal about the argument about whether it is or isn't okay

Zaphod42 posted:

"I thought about it and talked to my friends and we thought it was okay" isn't telling other people their opinions are wrong. Stop with this spin.

this is an A-grade cherry pick

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Themage posted:

lmao shut the gently caress up chud, if people find it offensive you dont get to decide if it matters
That person said their opinion and you tried to overrule it. Clearly you are a person that enjoys being offensive, though, so go to town.

E: I just noticed you tried to overrule me, too. All hail your opinions above all others.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 13, 2019

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

i don't think the basic statement of 'i don't think this is in good taste and don't like it' invalidates your experience or opinion but everyone has been very personal about the argument about whether it is or isn't okay

There's been a pretty clear pattern in this thread where people will declare this ad transphobic, defer to trans people in the thread as being arbiters, and then gloss over those of us that don't think it's that bad. Repeated in an endless loop like every argument in this thread.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The_White_Crane posted:

It would make sense if we were seeing footage of a game where the statement that gender non-conforming people were common was actually true.
But the footage we've seen doesn't bear that out.

What exactly is the litmus here? Should they wear a badge or something?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Themage posted:

dunno, the vast majority of social media posts are definitely anti-terrible ad, with only dumb gamers being for it

really makes you think
Counterpoint: Social media is a blighted curse upon this world.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, if you want to figure out how to represent trans people in media you can just reach out to them and ask what they'd like to see.

This may come as a surprise to you but trans people, just like any other group of people, are not a monolith. As we can see in this very thread.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Themage posted:

or cdpr could not use harmful stereotypes to fake woke sell a game

Aurora posted:

Again and again, it's the same arguments. Because some put something questionable/bad into a video game, it must mean whoever is responsible most believe in said questionable/bad thing 100%. Artist makes an ad that fetishizes trans people in a way that would totally exist in Night City, which must mean he/she sees trans people as nothing more then objects to fetishize. Game designer puts massive amounts of violence, armed robbery and drug dealing/use into a game, then ho boy does that person have some fun views on what a good Saturday Night must be. Writer makes a character that is misogynistic to a ridiculous point? Uhh can you say "incel"? (or vice versa, and replace incel with femnazi)

I know, people are on edge with CDPR after the twitter fiasco, but if that never happened I guarantee most of the people upset about this ad would still be pissed, because everyone seems to fail to grasp the idea of exploring uncomfortable ideas and situations in video games. Especially in ways that aren't clear cut/one sided. Not everything can be Wolfenstien where you hear the phase "nazi scum" five thousand times over the course of 3 hours of gameplay and about 800 mangled nazi corpses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

Its literally the comment you were responding to from last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Maybe we can make a thread discussing possible plot points, game mechanics, etc.? I do believe that there is a space talking about trans representation in this game but it's rather overwhelming with some very vehement people.

I'd do it but, awful app will awful app.