Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

It would make sense if we were seeing footage of a game where the statement that gender non-conforming people were common was actually true.
But the footage we've seen doesn't bear that out.
It's a higher priority for a game company to finish (and still even by the deadline they never truly finish) and reveal core gameplay over in-game social interactions. Arguing based on lack of evidence particularly this early is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 13, 2019

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Wow! Keanu Reeves. That game looks fun. I wonder if I'll get to turn my entire head into robot parts.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

You literally called me a concern troll because I thought the ad was lovely absent of other meaningful trans people in the game. You don't get to have it both ways.

I think you're mixing me up with agnosticnixie now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Again and again, it's the same arguments. Because some put something questionable/bad into a video game, it must mean whoever is responsible most believe in said questionable/bad thing 100%. Artist makes an ad that fetishizes trans people in a way that would totally exist in Night City, which must mean he/she sees trans people as nothing more then objects to fetishize. Game designer puts massive amounts of violence, armed robbery and drug dealing/use into a game, then ho boy does that person have some fun views on what a good Saturday Night must be. Writer makes a character that is misogynistic to a ridiculous point? Uhh can you say "incel"? (or vice versa, and replace incel with femnazi)

I know, people are on edge with CDPR after the twitter fiasco, but if that never happened I guarantee most of the people upset about this ad would still be pissed, because everyone seems to fail to grasp the idea of exploring uncomfortable ideas and situations in video games. Especially in ways that aren't clear cut/one sided. Not everything can be Wolfenstien where you hear the phase "nazi scum" five thousand times over the course of 3 hours of gameplay and about 800 mangled nazi corpses.

The short way of saying that is "depiction isn't condoning"

which is an important detail people miss. Game of Thrones is not necessarily pro-rape.

That said, it isn't a get out of jail free card either. The rape in GOT was at times pretty exploitative. And so too this ad could make sense in the context of the setting, but it could still be a bad idea, especially with all the trans rights issues going on in the real world right now. Our media do influence how we think about things. But even then it isn't clear, depicting trans people being oppressed could itself be a pro-trans message, "look at how bad this is, don't let our society become like this", etc. But then, is a videogame necessarily the right place to do that? Games are so complicated, so hard to control things exactly right. The player has influence on so much of how it gets experienced, which is part of what makes games uniquely powerful sometimes, but...

But this is too complex an issue for goons who are shouting past each other. We're not gonna get anywhere.

This thread is gonna be pretty toxic until we get another gameplay trailer :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
skulgun or refund

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Aren’t there private discords or ‘chans out there where people congregate for the express purpose of saying whatever they want to a supportive audience?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pussy Cartel posted:

I think you're mixing me up with agnosticnixie now.

Well don't I look stupid now.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

That person said their opinion and you tried to overrule it. Clearly you are a person that enjoys being offensive, though, so go to town.

hey guess what, not all opinions are equal. especially not ones that defend discrimination like yours you chud

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pussy Cartel posted:

There's been a pretty clear pattern in this thread where people will declare this ad transphobic, defer to trans people in the thread as being arbiters, and then gloss over those of us that don't think it's that bad. Repeated in an endless loop like every argument in this thread.

i've only been reading fairly recently and only really been reading the arguments between the people who have said they're trans - that's mostly what i've been talking about when i talk about the argument, so i don't really have anything i can say about the general consensus of the thread ignoring you.

like i said i think the ad is a little skeevy even with the art director interview, but that doesn't like, invalidate how you feel about it? both the people who aren't fine with it and the people who are fine with it need to stop dismissing each other, more or less

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Again and again, it's the same arguments. Because some put something questionable/bad into a video game, it must mean whoever is responsible most believe in said questionable/bad thing 100%. Artist makes an ad that fetishizes trans people in a way that would totally exist in Night City, which must mean he/she sees trans people as nothing more then objects to fetishize. Game designer puts massive amounts of violence, armed robbery and drug dealing/use into a game, then ho boy does that person have some fun views on what a good Saturday Night must be. Writer makes a character that is misogynistic to a ridiculous point? Uhh can you say "incel"? (or vice versa, and replace incel with femnazi)

I know, people are on edge with CDPR after the twitter fiasco, but if that never happened I guarantee most of the people upset about this ad would still be pissed, because everyone seems to fail to grasp the idea of exploring uncomfortable ideas and situations in video games. Especially in ways that aren't clear cut/one sided. Not everything can be Wolfenstien where you hear the phase "nazi scum" five thousand times over the course of 3 hours of gameplay and about 800 mangled nazi corpses.

Point out the meaningful trans characters shown so far, please.

Also lmao equating incels and "feminazis" gently caress off with that.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
guess i shouldnt be mad at hitler either for killing one of my great grandparents, that would overrule his opinion that it was the right thing to do

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Themage posted:

guess i shouldnt be mad at hitler either for killing one of my great grandparents, that would overrule his opinion that it was the right thing to do

Sincerely, what the gently caress are you talking about

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This may come as a surprise to you but trans people, just like any other group of people, are not a monolith. As we can see in this very thread.

I'm aware of that. I should have been more clear in my post.

My point was that CDProjekt, and other studios, should reach out to the trans community concerning representation in their game(s) and make it clear to the wider gaming community that they received input from trans people during development.

Being able to say "Hey, [trans person] was a narrative/creative/development consultant on this game" does a lot to mitigate any potential controversy around something like the "chromanticure" poster. The poster itself isn't separate from the context in which it was created and included in the game.

I have no strong opinions on the poster itself, as a cis-het white male. I just think if you're going to put it and similar in your game you may want to include some trans people in the discussion, not that I know for sure that they haven't.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Themage posted:

taking this a bit too far here bud

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sincerely, what the gently caress are you talking about

oh look its the racist guy, maybe try reading the thread

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Themage posted:

hey guess what, not all opinions are equal. especially not ones that defend discrimination like yours you chud
So that transperson isn't as qualified to have opinions as you. And you've discerned my political beliefs because I think a poster can make perfect sense in a game setting and I believe a story can be set just about anywhere, even a place as foreign as Cyberpunk's hopefully is?
Ok, my dude, you're kinda toxic. You're not "ok" with people having other opinions than yours and discussions having both a back and a forth.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Peacoffee posted:

Aren’t there private discords or ‘chans out there where people congregate for the express purpose of saying whatever they want to a supportive audience?

It's called Leftbook

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm aware of that. I should have been more clear in my post.

My point that was CDProjekt, and other studios, should reach out to the trans community concerning representation in their game(s) and make it clear to the wider gaming community that they received input from trans people during development.

Being able to say "Hey, [trans person] was a narrative/creative/development consultant on this game" does a lot to mitigate any potential controversy around something like the "chromanticure" poster. The poster itself isn't separate from the context in which it was created and included in the game.

I have no strong opinions on the poster itself, as a cis-het white male. I just think if you're going to put it and similar in your game you may want to include some trans people in the discussion, not that I know for sure that they haven't.

If the level of vitriol being thrown around between the trans people in this thread is anything to go by I don't think this would do much to help anything besides getting a bunch of trans people accused of being self-loathing bigots or whatever

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RottenK posted:

taking this a bit too far here bud

why? clearly it doesnt matter that a lot of people find the ad offensive, that would overrule someone elses opinion

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Themage posted:

oh look its the racist guy, maybe try reading the thread

:rolleyes:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

But really how does Hitler killing your great granddad have any bearing on trans representation in this game

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
In cyber punk aren't there people who have replaced most of there body with machines?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pussy Cartel posted:

There's been a pretty clear pattern in this thread where people will declare this ad transphobic, defer to trans people in the thread as being arbiters, and then gloss over those of us that don't think it's that bad. Repeated in an endless loop like every argument in this thread.

CascadeBeta posted:

For what it's worth I think you both share a lot of common ground and the nuances of both of your arguments are getting lost in the noise. Really it just seems to come down to how much benefit of the doubt you're willing to give CDPR at this point, and therefore how comfortable you are with them illustrating the "dark side" of social acceptance.

I think when the game is released and we discover how many trans npcs are in the game and how they are portrayed, you will probably end up in agreement as to whether this poster is acceptable in that context.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
I don't like their bland rear end games but the last couple hundred posts perfectly justify Ubisofts stance on anything controversial.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

So that transperson isn't as qualified to have opinions as you. And you've discerned my political beliefs because I think a poster can make perfect sense in a game setting and I believe a story can be set just about anywhere, even a place as foreign as Cyberpunk's hopefully is?
Ok, my dude, you're kinda toxic. You're not "ok" with people having other opinions than yours and discussions having both a back and a forth.

i mean going by your post history its pretty easy to see what your political beliefs are(a chud). and lmao tell me more about how all opinions are equal

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Noam Chomsky posted:

My point was that CDProjekt, and other studios, should reach out to the trans community concerning representation in their game(s) and make it clear to the wider gaming community that they received input from trans people during development.

I think if the devs came forward and said "hey we actually did ask [trans person] about this poster and they said they thought it was okay" I don't think all the trans people in this thread who find the poster gross would suddenly be okay with it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

am0kgonzo posted:

I don't like their bland rear end games but the last couple hundred posts perfectly justify Ubisofts stance on anything controversial.

:thunk:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CascadeBeta posted:

Also lmao equating incels and "feminazis" gently caress off with that.

I mean the fact that a trans person was shown as a drug peddler was enough to get you upset tells me that's not gonna be possible. Nevermind this is a setting where how we currently identify trans people barely even exists, in Cyberpunk any treatment needed could be done with a weeks wages and a few hours to recover.

And I seeing incel thrown around about as much as the other side throws around femnazi these days so yeah I'm sticking by that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Themage posted:

i mean going by your post history its pretty easy to see what your political beliefs are(a chud). and lmao tell me more about how all opinions are equal

Please tell me how Hitler killing your granddad pertains to trans rights in cyberpunk 2020

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

And I seeing incel thrown around about as much as the other side throws around femnazi these days so yeah I'm sticking by that.

one of these things is not like the other

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

But really how does Hitler killing your great granddad have any bearing on trans representation in this game

gently caress off sealion

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

“People have a right to their opinion”
“My family was killed by people who dehumanized minorities”
“Lol, bit of a reach there, don’t get it”

If you mention things in contexts people will just pretend you’ve tried to change the topic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FYI there are literally only 5-6 posters you need to put on ignore for this thread to go back to being good

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Aurora posted:

one of these things is not like the other

You are totally right, but people are turning incel into the next "cuck", "chud" or "libtard", just some nonsense word people throw out at the drop of a hat to win an argument.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Themage posted:

Your detective skills need a lot of work and "lmao" you're directing this at me because it's more convenient to use me as a proxy than directing it at the openly trans person you just tried to silence on the last page for disagreeing with you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Themage posted:

gently caress off sealion

I don't know what sealion is supposed to mean nor do I know what:

quote="Themage" post="495894577"]
[/quote]

This means in the context of the thread.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

Please tell me how Hitler killing your granddad pertains to trans rights in cyberpunk 2020

I dont have to justify poo poo to a guy that has strong opinions about black people

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

FYI there are literally only 5-6 posters you need to put on ignore for this thread to go back to being good

must be a lot of blank pages

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Themage posted:

Anytime someone uses terms like chud or sjw without irony, I straight up ignore the rest of what they have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Themage posted:

I dont have to justify poo poo to a guy that has strong opinions about black people

??? Because I hosed up the meme that originated here in the talk like an SA caveman thread?