Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A
CE

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A
C

Being a bootlegger sounds like proper fun. Also, don't tell this rear end in a top hat our real name, at least not unless we're getting paid for it. Moscow rules and all that, I don't trust him one bit and giving him our real name needs some trust.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 3, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Crazycryodude posted:

A
C

Being a bootlegger sounds like proper fun. Also, don't tell this rear end in a top hat our real name, at least not unless we're getting paid for it. Moscow rules and all that, I don't trust him one bit and giving him our real name needs some trust.

Agreed

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A C

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

2. D
Wouldn't be the first rear end we've kicked with a warning attached. Or would it...? Time travel shenanigans and whatnot.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
A Little While Later...

There is a hiss of steam that obscures your view on the street briefly. A passing truck blows the cloud away with a rattle, and the hotel is in front of you.

The historic St. Paul Hotel (or at least historic for you, it’s still a teenager at this time) looms over its neighbors. Its sign (tastefully removed by 2018) promises exotic amenities like heat and light. You slink back into the alley, not at all difficult when streetlights aren’t very numerous or efficient.

According to Mr. Deal, Leon Gleckman runs most of the bootlegging here, at least the stuff that Dapper Dan doesn't need. Still, Gleckman’s operation is a delicate one, he can’t afford to take too heavy of losses. You figure that Deal, tampering in mortal affairs, wants Gleckman either unseated or unsettled, either to take Gleckman down because it benefits Deal Or he wants to cause a little gang war. It doesn’t really matter to you in the long run.
What does matter is the hotel. Gleckman runs his operations through the St. Paul Hotel. Trucks from various distilleries make a stop there, change drivers, and head out for deliveries. It’s a bottleneck in his operation, a weakness caused by someone who doesn’t fully trust his lieutenants. Deal isn’t picky about what truck gets boosted, so long as he gets it and Gleckman loses it.

You have been circling the area of the hotel for awhile now, trying to get a feel for the security and operations. You see there is an underground garage built under the hotel. This garage is for both guest and must hold the loading docks for the hotel. You have seen several large trucks, sitting heavy on the axles, dip into the garage and come out a few minutes later still heavily loaded. So either they are dropping off and picking up, or nothing is being changed.

You spend a final half hour slowing walking a perimeter around the blocks near the hotel, checking for any surprises, human or otherwise. Finally satisfied that things are more or less ready for your plan, you put it into action.

1. What is our plan?
A Sneak into the hotel proper disguised as a maid, head to Gleckman
B Sneak into the garage disguised as a roustabout, try to steal a truck by acting like you belong there.
C Just run in and smash and grab the truck .
D Create a distraction and steal a truck in the chaos. A big bloody distraction
E Set up a roadblock to boost the truck after it leaves the hotel.
F Try to stowaway on a truck before it gets to the hotel.

Still alive-ish.

All votes are Approval unless noted
CYOA Discord Server - If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or here.
Rules: From Kickstarter Preview
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Offical Playlist

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

BE

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BC
Glad you're still kickin'.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

the_steve posted:

BC
Glad you're still kickin'.

Same

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AC Run in as a battle maid and steal the truck.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B sneaky

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

E

I have a bad feeling about B. Wouldn't it be unusual for a roustabout to be female in this time? Have we seen any female roustabouts here?

e: we should also remember we're not-white, which may be more of a problem here than in 2019.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 6, 2019

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
EA They would be ready for someone to try B.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ACE

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

BDF being as stealthy as possible as long as possible

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can we combine D and F? Make a nice loud distraction (say, setting a huge fire in the building across the street, or sabotaging a passing truck so it crashes and starts a commotion, etc.), and then use Mabin’s sneaky ninja skills to get aboard the truck as it drives off?

(Also, posting to say that I just caught up on this whole thing over the past few days and would love to see it come back if you have the time & interest.)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

NinjaPete, while usually taking extended periods off to handle IRL stuff, is good about completing CYOAs.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

NinjaPete, while usually taking extended periods off to handle IRL stuff, is good about completing CYOAs.

That's great to hear.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

You set up in an alley near the parking lot. It’s chilly so you button up your canvas jacket that Mr. Deal was able to get you, along with the slacks and cap. The clothing is ill-fitting, but it hides Mabin’s curves enough that, with any luck, you might be mistaken as a young boy. There is a rumbling up the street as a truck prowls towards the hotel. You wait until it turns into the ramp to head towards the garage, and then you sprint towards it. For a few seconds you are out in the open, and if the movement catches the driver’s attention, you are done for, but you are able to grab onto the top of the tailgate and, timing it as carefully as you can, hop into the back of the truck, flipping past the canvas tarp that is hiding the load.

The truck bed is full of boxes and barrels, each strapped down or wedged into place with straw. Scraps of paper with numbers written on them are pinned to the crates. Perhaps lot numbers or codes, you have no idea. Over the sound of the truck’s engine, if you listen carefully, you can hear clinking as bottles in the crates jostle against each other. Suddenly you are pitched forward as the truck comes to a stop, it’s brakes screaming and hissing. You are prepared for the rollback as the truck settles so you don’t careen into any of the boxes but it’s a near thing. You hear the door slam and the crunching of footsteps as someone, a driver or passenger, makes their way to the back of the truck.

Shitshitshitshit He must have seen you hop into the back. You look around for something, anything, to help you and settle, desperately, for ripping off one of the little labels on one of the barrels. As you grab it, the curtain is pulled open.

“Hey kid! What the gently caress’re you doin?” a looming shadow growls.

“Whoa, easy big guy. I..I was supposed to meet you at the pick up. But i hosed it up. Please. Don’t..don’t tell the boss.”

“The boss? You mean Jackie? He set this up?”

“Yeah, look..” and you try to imbue the the ripped-off label with some Aetheric energy, rewriting it’s point of reality. A note, or a symbol, something that makes you authorized to be here for this guy. But..it doesn’t stick. You might be nervous, or it might be the fact that you seem to be in an alternate history. That might be the problem there. Anyway, you decide to try to spin it.

“..look. My uncle got me this job right? I’m just loading poo poo, helpin’ out here and there. It’s my first time doing this work and I already hosed up. Please just..just don’t tell anyone.” you plead.

The big guy glowers at you for a moment. “Christ kid..okay. But you gently caress up here I’m not sticking my neck out.”

“Right right.”

“C’mon, get in the cab.” he says and lumbers back to the driver’s side.

You cautiously crawl out of the back and, pulling the brim of your cap down lower, climb into the passenger's seat of the truck. Automatically you look around for a seat belt, but of course those don’t exists yet. The driver lights a cigarette and yanks the truck into gear.

“So how does this work?” you ask. “My uncle didn’t say exactly. Other than We’re running Mr. Gleckman’s booze through here.”

The driver nods. “It don’t make no sense to me, but yeah. Gleckman has a buncha stills around the city. Moonshiners operating for him, they don’t know about each other or anything though. Least they’re not supposed to. You got a driver with a regular route picking up shipments, that’s me for example. We bring a truck here, switch drivers who take everything to where it’s supposed to be.”

The truck is dipping below the parking lot now, and heading into the underground lot. With practiced ease the driver weaves around cars and support beams, heading toward a loading dock at the rear of the garage. He starts the complicated series of turns and reverses to turn the truck 180 degrees and back up against the dock.

“And where is it supposed to be?” you ask.

He shrugs. “Local gin joints, or it gets shipped out to some other place. I never mind, long as my local place has a supply, know what i mean kid?”

He chuckles, his voice matching the rumbling of the truck briefly as he looks at you. After a moment the laughter, and smile, die.

“Wait, you’re not a kid. You’re some loving broad!

1. What do we do?
A. Deny
B. Admit it and try to spin it.
C. Try to take him out silently and then act normal to anyone else you see.
D. Take him down and just jack the truck right here and now.

So, our Sneak Failed and our Authorized (even will a point of Willpower) did too. Luckily, we Fast Talked him enough. So, we’re not terrible. I mean...not too terrible.

Also, I want to apologize for the glacial pace and short updates. It’s not like I ever forget about this game, I feel guilty every week that goes by without an update. I have discovered that, with both my CYOAs now, I run into a big soggy middle that happens to coincide with a struggle to make any creative output, even the stuff I get paid for in my real job. So, the game is light a weight around my neck until I suddenly get that perfect day or weekend to write. Sometimes these days are close together, sometimes months apart.

I want to thank everyone who has read this, and all of you who have voted and are sticking with me. It means a lot that you have confidence I’ll finish this. And I will. Some year soon.

CYOA Discord Server - If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or here.
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Our bad rolls are hilarious. I am going to keep voting without looking at our character sheet, so...C.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

B

I like this story so I'm fine with your slow pace.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B Talking got us into this mess lets see if it can get us out.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
“Yeah, no poo poo,” you grumble. “Why’d you think I didn’t want to make a deal out of this?”

“Listen girlie, this ain’t no place for a--”

“Don’t finish that sentence. I’ve done some bad things to keep myself going, so don’t tell me this isn’t a place for me, or else I’ll make you more of a woman than I am.” You crank open the door and hop out as the driver gathers himself.

Keep moving, keep him on his back foot. you think. You hop up to the loading dock and, after some frustrating fumbling, lower the tailgate as another roustabout detaches himself from the wall and sticks his head into the back of the truck. The driver sidles up to the other man and they start to chat. Before their attention is brought to you, you slide away, looking around the lot.

You see another truck, this one idling and likely filling the underground garage with wonderful lead fumes. Still, it might be the best option so, as the driver and second man are going over the inventory, you slink over to the second truck. A quick glance in the back confirms it’s loaded. You move to the far side of the truck and peek into the cab. Empty.

You look around and see no one nearby, and the two men still talking.

gently caress it.

You open the door and slide into the driver’s seat. Keys are dangling from the ignition and you crank it open. Despite the years, the truck is essentially a manual shift. Albeit one without power steering, or a shift pattern you understand completely. Still, going forward is pretty simple.

The truck lurches forward and its roar echoes off the loading dock, drowning out the cries of the other two men. You maneuver the truck out of the lot and onto the street, whatever it has a as suspension creaks and cracks dangerously. You shove into a higher gear and glance out of the side mirrors.A rustic motorcycle flies out of the hotel parking lot and sticks to your tail. You can’t see the driver’s face, but you can assume they are acting as your tail. Try to see where you go to ground. You need to get the truck down to a warehouse on the River, so the quicker you lose him, the better.

1. How do we lose this guy?
A Try to out drive him
B Take him out from a distance.
C Pull over and give him a beat down.

Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wait on him to get close enough to our rear end that we can slam the brakes and let him slam into the back of the truck. Then drive away. A reverse hit&run.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B. What's in my pocket? OH LOOK, a net made of RED HOT BARBED WIRE! CATCH!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C This guy deserves a personal touch.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

C. Let’s make this guy regret it

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

the_steve posted:

Wait on him to get close enough to our rear end that we can slam the brakes and let him slam into the back of the truck. Then drive away. A reverse hit&run.

let's do this

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Blasphemaster posted:

An idea so funny that I have to agree with it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Blasphemaster posted:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

This +fish hook barbs on it

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Obviously this guy needs to go. You can’t pull over, who knows how many of his buddies are gearing up behind him. And you could drive ramming him off the road, but that might damage the truck. You need to take him out from a distance.

You look around the truck cab, searching for any workable tool. Wrench, gloves, rope, lunch pail..

You stop on that last one. A medium-sized metal pail with a lid. Probably just some cold sandwiches but..you don’t know. Not for sure. Any neither does anyone else. You decide to get a little dramatic, see how much you can push things in this time.

Taking one hand off the jerking wheel, crank down the driver side window. Then you flip the locks off the pail, but make sure not to knock off the lid yet. You imagine what is in the pail, what could be in that pail.

This is dumb. you think as you hurl the pail out of the window.

You take your eyes off the road long enough to watch the cover of the pail fly off and the contents hiss out. A fist of glowing red netting unfurls itself in flight and embraces the front of the motorcycle. There is a metal scream, and a more meaty one, as the netting knots itself around the motorcycle and the driver. The two go down in a mangled heap and you cannot see more because the road demands your attention, but your tail is gone.

Later, after you’ve stashed the truck in the assigned warehouse and huddled in the cab for most of the day, Mr. Deal arrives to check over his merchandise. He is pleased.

“Tell you what Vozhd, Gleckman’s gonna take a hit for this,” Deal says pulling a bottle from the back of the truck and pulling the cork out with his teeth. He drinks and grimaces, and affected reaction.

“Do you have a lead for me or not?”

“You, know..I could use you in my crew. Maybe get you some burner covers, let you go wild for me..”

“I could also eat your spleen,” you reply.

“Yeah, probably,” he says taking another swig. “I don’t know were your little lost lamb is setting up house. I do know he’s been hanging around that new art place, the Walker Galleries.”

“The Walker exists?”

“I mean, I’ve never seen it myself but....” he trails off. “It used to be a big chunk of Infrastructure I’m told. Some sort of facility that never took off or..whatever. We have demons crawling around there a lot.”

“What about Machine forces?”

Deal puts down his bottle and looks you square in the eye. “See, here’s the funny thing about this place, the Machine is pretty..hands off. There’s angels, and other critters yeah, but as a whole we have it easier here.”

“Really?”

“Well, maybe not easier, but we’re more free. Less likely to blow cover for example. Easier to set up stuff without the Big Bad finding us.”

He starts towards the door, “Anyway. I figure I’ve done my due dillience, unless you wanna do me another favor, this is where we part ways,” he opens the door and gestures you to go first.

“I need a place to crash,” you say, turning back towards him.

“Don’t we all,” Deal says, slamming the door and sliding the bolt home. After the ring of metal dies out you are alone on the street. In the distance, some singer is crooning a familiar song

1. What is our next move?

A Go to the Walker as soon as it’s open in the morning, we’ll start looking for Mr. Drift there, we need to get him and get out.
B Spend the night trying to build up some contacts or even allies, being alone here is unnerving.
C Deal is a dead end, but he’s not the only Demon, maybe there are some proto-version of the Home Office or the Capitol for us to make contact with.
D Stick with Deal, he’s mercenary, but he seems like he’ll honor any agreement.

Is this game back? Maybe depending if people are still voting/following.

WIll there be changes? Oh my yes. I will be simplifying or tossing out some of the actual World of Darkness rules and rolls. Basically, between writing, researching (the setting and now the setting withing a specific year), findign photos, and checking the rules constantly, part of the reason this CYOA has died a few times is because of the time sink. I’ll still be using dice rolls and rules for when the chance of failure is likely/interesting to me. So, Ink won’t have an easy time of it all.

Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A>C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU