Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Angelwolf posted:

You know what's cool? Sega Genesis getting Duke Nukem 3D :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9doqwl-U7jU

Bet you didn't have that on your super crappy Nintendo toy
man duke nukem 3d really wasnt nearly as good as i remembered it being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Shining force is better than FF3 for SNES. I couldnt get through that longass game.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You know what else was neat? Sonic 2 +Knuckles.

It never got enough love.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Weird timing, I just got one of these for my PC:

and was Blast Processing through Sonic Mania tonight. I never got to really play Saturn in the mid-90s for various reasons, and while I emulated a few classics like a filthy pirate in the late 00s I never got to feel the controller. Now I have. And it's..... ok. I see why people love it but it's like not appreciably better than the Genesis controller it was based off of. Still really :krad: to play Sonic with though.

How were you emulating Saturn games a decade ago

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I remember emulating Saturn games with SSF back in 2007

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't remember exactly how because it was a decade ago and it was for like, a few days during a rather dark period of 2009, but I'm 100% sure I did emulate some old Saturn games. Sue me if you think I'm wrong?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

How were you emulating Saturn games a decade ago

The concept of emulating a Sega powerhouse console is an overwhelming thought, my Nintendude

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Angelwolf posted:

The concept of emulating a Sega powerhouse console is an overwhelming thought, my Nintendude

It's surprising not because it was SO POWERFUL but because the Saturn's architecture was designed in such a hosed up asinine way. Up until a few years ago barely anybody knew how the drat thing worked, making it extremely difficult to program an emulator for it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I remember it was a very limited selection and I didn't get to try stuff I really wanted to like Guardian Heroes or Radiant Silvergun.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Mr. Bones posted:

It's surprising not because it was SO POWERFUL but because the Saturn's architecture was designed in such a hosed up asinine way. Up until a few years ago barely anybody knew how the drat thing worked, making it extremely difficult to program an emulator for it.

yeah, and also apparently why some of the games were... not so great. I understand it used a bunch of complex circuit architecture which was pretty amazing at the time but a real hog to develop with so lots of developers just thought 'gently caress this' and went with Sony Playstation instead.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angelwolf posted:

I raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72P9-6S7qM

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

EugeneJ posted:

I raise you

Jesus, somehow it's even worse than the Resident Evil port for Gameboy. But then, Game.com I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShC8zJgbTts

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly RE for the Game Boy is really impressive all things considered. It actually has a framerate.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Angelwolf posted:

Jesus, somehow it's even worse than the Resident Evil port for Gameboy. But then, Game.com I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XiUvMowedA

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Angelwolf posted:

That's actually really impressive considering the limitations of the Gameboy.

Still, they should have made it for the SEGA GAME GEAR instead, so they could take advantage of the raw power of SEGA.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

having the wire come out from the bottom of the controller is the most insane design decision ever made in video games history

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Impressive yes, but not very fun. REs tank controls were bad enough on PlayStation let alone a gameboy with two action buttons. I was actually looking for the monochrome video (I swear it's out there!) but could only find the GBC one. How they'd ever fit the whole game into one cartridge is beyond me - especially given RE had two games in one (Chris and Jill).

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

having the wire come out from the bottom of the controller is the most insane design decision ever made in video games history

Eh, I mean, there was a clip at the back to hold the wire :shrug:

Iirc they did it like that because of the VMU option which was a super cool addon because it was a memory card with a screen you could play games on! It also served as a little status screen (an idea which Nintendo STOLE for their dumb DS system!!)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Angelwolf posted:

(an idea which Nintendo STOLE for their dumb DS system!!)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite Dreamcast Controller related thing is from Sonic All-Star Racing: Transformed. The last character AGES (get it!?) is a Daytona USA racer on land, an Afterburner jet in the air, and a Dreamcast Controller on water. Jump to (2:00) to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPuunFTJ3dg

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

I forgot about this :blush:

But yeah anyway the Sega one was better!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Angelwolf posted:

wasnt this put out after duke 64

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I had the top one (donkey kong) but some jerkasa kid stole it from me when I was in first grade

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whooping Crabs posted:

I had the top one (donkey kong) but some jerkasa kid stole it from me when I was in first grade

Ever see that really boilerplate sitcom "The Goldbergs?" I would be $1 that they did an episode where something like this happened and the third act has the snotty kid throwing barrels down a staircase at the jerkass.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angelwolf posted:

Impressive yes, but not very fun. REs tank controls were bad enough on PlayStation let alone a gameboy with two action buttons. I was actually looking for the monochrome video (I swear it's out there!) but could only find the GBC one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5JmSJcFD7E

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Angelwolf posted:

Eh, I mean, there was a clip at the back to hold the wire :shrug:

Iirc they did it like that because of the VMU option which was a super cool addon because it was a memory card with a screen you could play games on! It also served as a little status screen (an idea which Nintendo STOLE for their dumb DS system!!)

I do have fond memories of raising my little Chao from sonic adventure 1, the greatest game of all time

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

The portable aspect of the VMU would've been better if it didn't eat through the battery in like a day

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Mr. Bones posted:

The portable aspect of the VMU would've been better if it didn't eat through the battery in like a day

I never had this problem you were obviously using cheap batteries so it's all your own fault! Can't blame Sega for your own cheap rear end, you cheap-rear end

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Woulda been cool with better/newer battery tech where it would charge if it were in the controller

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well that's the Dreamcast in a nutshell-- "this is cool, but they should have released it later."

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Well that's the Dreamcast in a nutshell-- "this is cool, but they should have released it later."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I thought Dreamcast did ok, and The Saturn was the final nail in the coffin

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
also the dreamcast was loving awesome

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I thought Dreamcast did ok, and The Saturn was the final nail in the coffin

Yeah, pretty much this - it was well received. But by release the damage had already been done and Sony was a strong player.

I'd genuinely love to see Sega enter the console market again.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Angelwolf posted:

Yeah, pretty much this - it was well received. But by release the damage had already been done and Sony was a strong player.

I'd genuinely love to see Sega enter the console market again.

nintendo ate them, so it is not likely to happen

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

nintendo ate them, so it is not likely to happen

Give 'em time, man. They're like an alien chestburster waiting to pop out of Nintendo's body

Take that, nintendo!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Angelwolf posted:

Give 'em time, man. They're like an alien chestburster waiting to pop out of Nintendo's body

Take that, nintendo!

I like your faith, but that isn't really the way companies work

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

I'm confused, does Nintendo own Sega? I hear people say stuff like that a lot but anytime I look into it I can't find any supporting info. I just assumed they had a very close business relationship.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr. Bones posted:

I'm confused, does Nintendo own Sega? I hear people say stuff like that a lot but anytime I look into it I can't find any supporting info. I just assumed they had a very close business relationship.

I think nintendo bought the only Sega character that matters. Not the hardware, not the software, they just bought the hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think nintendo bought the only Sega character that matters. Not the hardware, not the software, they just bought the hedgehog

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/05/17/nintendo-nabs-exclusive-rights-to-sonic-the-hedgehog/amp/