Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

From my local observations it's likely any Asian grocery will have Japanese stuff, and Korean ones especially.

Substitutions. Konnyaku is just chewy and largely flavorless so I wouldn't even bother with it if you can't find any. Gobo you will find at a Korean grocery for sure, possibly Chinese ones. If you can't, uh. Parsnip maybe? Aburaage is fried tofu. If you can get tofu you can make it. It's likely going to be in the freezer at an Asian grocery.

regular-rear end groceries around me have burdock

or at least sprouts & whole foods & such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hauki posted:

regular-rear end groceries around me have burdock

or at least sprouts & whole foods & such

You must live in one hell of an Asian area for that to be the case.

Gobo also keeps forever so when you find it you can stock up a bit. Don't wash it until you're going to use it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I like the Egyptian food I've had. I'd like to buy a book on Egyptian food/recipes. Can anyone recommend me a book?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My butcher was selling big-rear end turkey legs for cheap so I picked up a few on a whim. Planning to do the skin sear + oven finish method I was posting about for whole chicken breasts the other day, but how should I season these bad boys?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

My butcher was selling big-rear end turkey legs for cheap so I picked up a few on a whim. Planning to do the skin sear + oven finish method I was posting about for whole chicken breasts the other day, but how should I season these bad boys?

If I'm not smoking turkey I like to use a rub of a lot of paprika and salt, middling amount of black pepper and a tiny bit of ground cumin.

e: that's kinda my go to season for roasts or braises of all kinds when I can't think of something special I guess.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought a molcajete to make salsa and whatnot with. A couple questions:

1. Am I really not supposed to wash this thing with soap? The Internet says I shouldn't because it will absorb the flavors, and should just wash with hot water and dry. Is this bad/unsafe advice? I don't really believe in the "don't use soap on cast iron" advice, but at least with cast iron it's getting heated up to a few hundred degrees every time you use it.

2. The Internet also says to grind up a little dry rice and a splash of water to get rid of the grit. I did it for several minutes and didn't see any grit or grey-ness. Am I good to go? If I didn't do a good enough job, are there any consequences beyond maybe I'll bite down on some grit once in a while?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

guppy posted:

I bought a molcajete to make salsa and whatnot with. A couple questions:

1. Am I really not supposed to wash this thing with soap? The Internet says I shouldn't because it will absorb the flavors, and should just wash with hot water and dry. Is this bad/unsafe advice? I don't really believe in the "don't use soap on cast iron" advice, but at least with cast iron it's getting heated up to a few hundred degrees every time you use it.

2. The Internet also says to grind up a little dry rice and a splash of water to get rid of the grit. I did it for several minutes and didn't see any grit or grey-ness. Am I good to go? If I didn't do a good enough job, are there any consequences beyond maybe I'll bite down on some grit once in a while?

There's no real need to wash it with soap as long as you're diligent with hot water and scrubbing, and you can boil it or stick in a cold oven and heat it up if you want to be extra sure after grinding something particularly suspicious. If you're really uncomfortable not using soap, at least rinse it incredibly thoroughly immediately after.

If you don't see any grayness or grit after grinding some dry rice in it you're good to go, and correct if you didn't do a good enough job the worst that can happen is some grit ending up in your food.

Waci fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 12, 2019

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

I like turtles posted:

I like the Egyptian food I've had. I'd like to buy a book on Egyptian food/recipes. Can anyone recommend me a book?

Claudia Roden’s new book of middle eastern food. She’s from Egypt.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

coolanimedad posted:

Claudia Roden’s new book of middle eastern food. She’s from Egypt.
I need to check this out. Her cookbook on Spain is beautiful and has like an entire history of Spain and it’s regions and I love it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone have a recipe or two that use spanish chorizo? i bought some nice stuff at costco and dont know what to do with it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone have a recipe or two that use spanish chorizo? i bought some nice stuff at costco and dont know what to do with it

Goes fantastic in chili

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Caldo Verde, aka Portuguese kale, potato, and chorizo soup.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

BraveUlysses posted:

A potato hash with chorizo and an egg on top is about one of the best breakfasts that exists.

I just bought a whole rabbit. I have no idea what I'm doing. Any suggestions on what I should be making?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

For Spanish chorizo, I tend to use BBC food recipes. I only get it by accident like once every 3 years, but got tired of not knowing what to do with it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

Gordon Ramsay makes a really good-looking Spanish smoked paprika roasted chicken stuffed with white beans, chorizo, and onion.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SrpR1qH3NN4

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheCog posted:

A potato hash with chorizo and an egg on top is about one of the best breakfasts that exists.

I just bought a whole rabbit. I have no idea what I'm doing. Any suggestions on what I should be making?

What do you want to make? It's essentially a slightly different chicken. Fried is excellent, if you like dark meat. Stew is fantastic.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TheCog posted:

Two Fat Ladies have got you covered:
Ragout of rabbit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjwEyXIgno&t=200s
I've made this with a wild rabbit and it was pretty good but a bit tough, farmed rabbit might be more tender.

Rabbit Isobel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p7l-Ca7e1E&t=140s
Never made it but it looks delicious and makes me want to grow sorrel. "One of the advantages of being as heavy as I am is if you put your weight into it it doesn't take very long."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Waci posted:

There's no real need to wash it with soap as long as you're diligent with hot water and scrubbing, and you can boil it or stick in a cold oven and heat it up if you want to be extra sure after grinding something particularly suspicious. If you're really uncomfortable not using soap, at least rinse it incredibly thoroughly immediately after.

If you don't see any grayness or grit after grinding some dry rice in it you're good to go, and correct if you didn't do a good enough job the worst that can happen is some grit ending up in your food.

Thanks. I won't be doing anything weirder than salsa or guacamole, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to give myself food poisoning after a few uses.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

One of my kid's favorite recipes: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-chorizo-stew

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does anyone have a recipe that heavily features dill? And no I'm not trying to make pickles with it we've already done that. Our dill plant in the garden has gone insane and we have tons of it both dry and fresh.

I don't know that I've ever really made anything that uses a substantial amount of a dill or where it really shines I'm curious to see something like that.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I’ve been making Kaku Sabzi a lot recently, might be worth a try. Not the recipe I use, but don’t have mine on hand I’m afraid.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TheCog posted:

Do this but with sweet potato.

You can also fry up the chorizo, salt and blister some padrón peppers, sautée some onion and red peppers, and eat the lot with crusty bread.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That Works posted:

Does anyone have a recipe that heavily features dill? And no I'm not trying to make pickles with it we've already done that. Our dill plant in the garden has gone insane and we have tons of it both dry and fresh.

I don't know that I've ever really made anything that uses a substantial amount of a dill or where it really shines I'm curious to see something like that.

Make tzatziki, get some greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl with dill and salt to taste. Step up your schwarma game, my dude.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Pick up some good salmon and make gravlax or cold-smoked salmon if you have the equipment. You use a ton of dill in the brine/cure, and it's one of the best things on the planet.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That Works posted:

Look into russian cookery maybe? I remember a pretty funny article from a few years back in which the author was wailing that you couldn't get any savoury food in Russia that didn't have huge fistfuls of dill in it.

fake edit, found it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/10/dill-russia-herb-pizza-sushi-soup-hummus-food-ruin

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I have never made them but I remember when I was a kid my dad would make Dill Oyster Crackers and I would kill them by the handful. Looking online there are a couple of recipes ranging from teaspoon - 1/3 cup dill.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15956/ranch-oyster-crackers/

https://www.savoryexperiments.com/garlic-dill-oyster-crackers/

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 13, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

That Works posted:

I don't know about "heavily features," but I love roasted carrots just clobbered with dill

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Does anyone else have problems thawing meat in the fridge? I put 1.5 lbs of chicken drumsticks in the fridge for the following night’s dinner and they were rock solid 24 hours later.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Does anyone else have problems thawing meat in the fridge? I put 1.5 lbs of chicken drumsticks in the fridge for the following night’s dinner and they were rock solid 24 hours later.

Could be your fridge is too cold, but size of fridge and placement of chicken have a lot to do with it too. Try and keep them as far away from the cooling elements as you can. Sometimes if my milk gets pushed far enough back into the fridge it freezes, so you will probably want your chicken toward the front and not in a drawer.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sterster posted:

I have never made them but I remember when I was a kid my dad would make Dill Oyster Crackers and I would kill them by the handful. Looking online there are a couple of recipes ranging from teaspoon - 1/3 cup dill.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15956/ranch-oyster-crackers/

https://www.savoryexperiments.com/garlic-dill-oyster-crackers/

This is also a great suggestion. Our family limits these to Christmas time because they are so good and so snackable that we’d go through an unhealthy amount if we didn’t.

I’ve tried both dried and fresh dill, and significantly prefer dried, but double what the recipe calls for.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Bluedeanie posted:

Could be your fridge is too cold, but size of fridge and placement of chicken have a lot to do with it too. Try and keep them as far away from the cooling elements as you can. Sometimes if my milk gets pushed far enough back into the fridge it freezes, so you will probably want your chicken toward the front and not in a drawer.

I’ve been putting it in a bottom drawer so that might be it. Should I expect a 1.5 lb block of frozen meat to be thawed in 24 hours?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I’ve been putting it in a bottom drawer so that might be it. Should I expect a 1.5 lb block of frozen meat to be thawed in 24 hours?

Also depends on thickness, but I would say probably not completely but it shouldn't be totally frozen solid either. A full 24 hours usually gets me close enough to finish up quick with a (warm, not hot) water bath.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If it has a flat surface, you can speed up the thawing process by placing it in a thin, metal pan to act as a heat sink. (Out of any common pan materials, aluminum probably works best.)
It's not going to work miracles, but it does actually speed up the thawing process.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have 2 basil plants that are going for the world record apparently which would be fine, but they're starting to steal sun from my serranos which are also very ambitious this year. what's there to do with a gratuitous amount of fresh basil? pickled basil? basil preserves?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Pesto uses up tons of basil.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just put it on everything.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Maybe it's where I put it but I generally move stuff from the freezer to the fridge at least a day and a half ahead, preferably two days.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just throw frozen meat in a cambro full of cold water and it’s thawed less than an hour later normally.

Don’t do this if someone in your house is immunocomprimised I guess.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Doing some batch food prep and I'm curious how well the following freeze raw:

Bean sprouts
Cilantro
Onion

I vaguely remember reading something about plant cell walls rupturing when frozen due to expanding water but I wasn't sure if that applied to just some plants or all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Bean sprouts are basically unpreservable. Onions keep for basically forever even without freezing, but if you really want to freeze some the texture would go to poo poo but the taste should stay fine? Same with cilantro, it won't be pretty if you want to have visible pieces but would probably taste fine?