Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have any tasty, easy bread recipes? Also, if I just want to make the NYT no-knead recipe more healthy can I just use wheat flour?
And I will hi knives asked this before but has anyone made wheat sourdough?

I like the big round crusty loaves if that helps at all?

I wouldn't personally recommend going 100% wheat flour, it's usually pretty common to just mix in a percentage like 70% white/30% wheat. Changing the type of flour will mess with your recipe ratios, though, since wheat flour behaves differently.

As far as an easy, tasty, big round crusty bread recipe, I really like the "Overnight White" for beginners from Ken Forkish's book "Flour Water Salt Yeast".

(photo not mine)

It's been republished on a bunch of blogs in different variations, like the following:
http://210degrees.blogspot.com/2013/10/overnight-white-bread-flour-water-salt.html
https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2013/09/overnight-white-bread.html
http://bakingartisanbread.blogspot.com/2014/04/ken-forkishs-overnight-country-brown-1.html <--This one uses that 70% white/30% wheat flour ratio I mentioned.

It requires some basic equipment, but it's equipment that every home baker ought to have, such as: a scale, a dutch oven, a bigass tub or bowl for the dough to rise in, and a bench scraper.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you're using whole wheat you won't be able to as easily do a no kneed. You'll need to kneed a bit at first or do some stretch and folds.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve made plenty of excellent no-knead loaves with 100% (strong) white flour.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

therattle posted:

I’ve made plenty of excellent no-knead loaves with 100% (strong) white flour.

Is that healthier than regular white flour? I'm aiming for healthier recipes and I now notice the word healthy isn't in my original post.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It's totally possible to get a 100% wheat no-Knead bread. It will be dense, but it will still give a nice boule. Adding vital wheat gluten helps.

Look for The New Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day's 100% Whole Wheat recipe. The master recipe is nearly the same, but a 70/30 wheat/white ratio. (Made this week after I got the book from the library and it's a keeper.)

There's also a number of mom blogs with nearly identical no-Knead whole wheat sandwich loaf recipes too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

Is that healthier than regular white flour? I'm aiming for healthier recipes and I now notice the word healthy isn't in my original post.

No real difference. Just higher protein (gluten) which makes better bread. Good wheat flour (especially part whole meal) is not unhealthy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
FYI some lots of King Arthur got recalled for E. coli

Press releases posted:

The only product affected by this voluntary recall is our Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (5 lb.) from these six specific lot codes and three Best Used by Dates, which can be found on the bottom of the side panel, below the nutrition facts panel.

BEST USED BY 12/07/19 LOT: L18A07C
BEST USED BY 12/08/19 LOTS: L18A08A, L18A08B
BEST USED BY 12/14/19 LOTS: L18A14A, L18A14B, L18A14C

My date code was stamped on the front panel near the top, so look around if you don't see it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

effika posted:

FYI some lots of King Arthur got recalled for E. coli

My date code was stamped on the front panel near the top, so look around if you don't see it.

brb gonna go check my flour codes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Glad I've been buying a different AP since they immediately get dumped into containers.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Hi Bread Thread, newish bread baker with a storage/preservation question:
I’ve been really enjoying this King Arthur no-knead crusty white bread recipe (which is super tasty!) but I have no clue how I should be storing it after. Is there any particular container/wrap I should be using? I’ve tried aluminum foil and paper bags so far but I feel like the only way to get it crusty again is to toast it (which is also super tasty!). Any tips for longer-lasting “just baked” crustiness?

Obligatory pics (I’m working on not over-flouring the crust, this is one of my earlier batches):

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Make sure it has actually reached room temperature before wrapping it. Unless you're freezing it keep it at room temperature somewhere dry, in a paper bag or wrapped in something that can breathe (ie not cling film or tightly wrapped aluminium foil or whatever). I don't think there's any way to keep it exactly as it is after baking, but unless your home is particularly humid it should still stay nice and crusty.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yoooo does anyone have a killer pain de mie/pullman loaf recipe they love? I want to start baking our sandwiches loaves regularly and would love something that is a bit healthier than one with just pure white flour. I kinda fell off the sourdough train and don't see myself maintaining a starter again, but could possibly get one going again if that's the best way to do it. It's also kind of unbelievable how hard it is to find a pullman loaf tin with a lid that's not a bizarre knockoff brand on amazon!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Honestly I've never tried whole wheating it up but I like hokaido milk bread in a Pullman. Quite enriched, most recipes are a little sweet imho. I do Demi bags for sourdough subs since you really want that crust.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey y’all, If I make my own yogurt and I wanted to try making bread, can I use some of the yogurt as a starter? Would I still have to add dry yeast?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Argona posted:

Hey y’all, If I make my own yogurt and I wanted to try making bread, can I use some of the yogurt as a starter? Would I still have to add dry yeast?

It seems unlikely to me that yogurt would have the strength to rise bread on its own, but I don't really know. You can always just make two batches (or split one) and put dry yeast in one and not the other. Flour and water are cheap, so it's not a huge shame to waste one loaf in the interest of science.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

First time making sourdough and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Argona posted:

This site says you can do it but you'll need a teensy bit of yeast. It's also a no knead recipe so that should be very simple to try.

Also I want to start making my own yogurt one of these days, and yogurt bread does sound like a nice trick.

MelancholyMark posted:

First time making sourdough and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

Looks delicious!

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I ended up just following the king arthur no knead recipe. Bread is so easy to make oh god why haven't I done this before.

after the first bite:

It came out as a kind of misshapen foot shaped thing, next time more flour when shaping it, less on top. I still have dough for another loaf in the fridge to devour test with.

e: it is entirely gone 20 minutes late oh dear what have i done

Argona fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 20, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have to make myself freeze it or else it's all gone immediately.

It was so hard to make myself wait on this sandwich loaf to cool to slice it and then there was definitely less left than I'd planned to save for later.

(Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day Master recipe, just 2lbs of it cooked in a bread tin.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have any tasty, easy, healthy bread recipes? Also, if I just want to make the NYT no-knead recipe more healthy can I just use wheat flour?
And I will hi knives asked this before but has anyone made wheat sourdough?

I like the big round crusty loaves if that helps at all?

Saturday 75% Whole Wheat from FWSY

750 g whole wheat flour
250 g unbleached all purpose flour
800 g water at 90 to 95 degrees F
22 g fine sea salt
3/4 tsp instant yeast

Here's a blog about it:
https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2013/07/75-whole-wheat-bread-another-saturday.html

and my loaf:

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I made my second loaf! Much more oval like this time! (Except for the part I cut off)

Question, how do you cut into the dough without the knife sticking? Both times the lines kinda disappeared during baking and my guess is because it wasn’t deep enough. Pic of the loaf below

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008

Argona posted:

Question, how do you cut into the dough without the knife sticking? Both times the lines kinda disappeared during baking and my guess is because it wasn’t deep enough. Pic of the loaf below

Wet your knife, it should slide easier when you score your loaf. also, the less time you spend scoring your loaf (the faster you do it) the less your knife should stick.

Content: Sourdough, 20% Whole Wheat Flour, 24hr cold ferment:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

toplitzin posted:

Saturday 75% Whole Wheat from FWSY

750 g whole wheat flour
250 g unbleached all purpose flour
800 g water at 90 to 95 degrees F
22 g fine sea salt
3/4 tsp instant yeast

Here's a blog about it:
https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2013/07/75-whole-wheat-bread-another-saturday.html

and my loaf:

My dad made this a few days ago.

He is loving FWSY and has already learned a bunch from it. I’m a little surprised at how much he’s getting out of it.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

well I've been trying to go easy on the carbs lately but after browsing this thread I dont see that happening. Gonna grab some high protein flour after work and get bakin'

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Noslo posted:

well I've been trying to go easy on the carbs lately but after browsing this thread I dont see that happening. Gonna grab some high protein flour after work and get bakin'

Low carb diets are good, bread is better.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I went low carb for a year or so and had dreams of pizza crusts, croissants and Pullman loaves after 3 months. Can confirm.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Come join us in the running thread and you'll never care about too much sodium or carbs again! You can run on any diet, but winners eat carbs.

Breadchat:

Did the no-knead bread from Serious Eats as a pizza dough and was unimpressed. Tweaked it a bit following some tips from King Arthur and what I'd found on The Fresh Loaf and what I remembered of my pizza days and got a better crust. Mainly made sure I didn't over-proof it in my hot summer kitchen and left it alone in the fridge for a few days. Also added some oil so it's easier to work with. I used my Lodge combo cooker to make personal mini pizzas, but have a cast iron pizza pan coming for next time.

I'd looked at getting a baking steel but it turns out I can't lift a slab of stainless steel safely! So cast iron it is, for less than half the weight. (I'm in the running thread, not the lifting thread.)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Carbs are an antidepressant. If I'm feeling bad, I eat a nice load of fresh crusty bread (preferably a sourdough loaf), and feel much better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Noslo posted:

Bread is 75% of why I never had any success on low carb diets.

The other 25% is pie.

That said, bread's pretty easy to fit into a healthy diet. The high hydration artisan bread recipe I use works out to about 880 calories, 176g carbs, and 32g protein for an entire 1.5lb loaf. If you're trying to cut carbs, just make rolls instead, so you get all the crusty bits without eating a whole pound of bread in the process. :v:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 29, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dad still loves FWSY. It’s pretty much undoing everything he thought he knew about making bread, and it’s honestly kinda fun watching him learn so much from it. He’s on the phone telling my aunt about it now.

Thanks to this thread for the recs!

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape
What might cause cavernous holes in sourdough? I've been keeping a starter alive for awhile and it rises normally when making bread... But the two times I've baked a loaf from it I get a massive air bubble between the top crust and, let's say, 1cm of bread on the bottom. The first time I did this I thought I'd folded an air bubble into the dough, but the second time I was much more careful.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

booack posted:

What might cause cavernous holes in sourdough? I've been keeping a starter alive for awhile and it rises normally when making bread... But the two times I've baked a loaf from it I get a massive air bubble between the top crust and, let's say, 1cm of bread on the bottom. The first time I did this I thought I'd folded an air bubble into the dough, but the second time I was much more careful.

There's a lot of possible causes, check out this article for potential reasons: https://www.decalt.com.au/holes-and-glug

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

booack posted:

almost always health of the starter. what's your feeding schedule and formula? describe the taste texture and aroma of your mature levain

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

over-proofing will do it. did it coincide with some pancaking or lackluster rise in the oven?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

as well a bad release from the proofing vessel.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

JudgeX posted:

almost always health of the starter. what's your feeding schedule and formula? describe the taste texture and aroma of your mature levain

I use a 50% hydration starter from _The Bread Bible_. Feed it once a week. It starts out a shaggy dough and ends the week a highly elastic (but still solid) mass that produces air bubbles against its glass container. Aroma isn't strong, maybe subtly flour-like? Taste is a bit sour but not overwhelmingly so. Truthfully I've kept it alive the better part of a year. I just haven't had much occasion to use it. It matches the book's description of a stiff starter's properties.

poverty goat posted:

over-proofing will do it. did it coincide with some pancaking or lackluster rise in the oven?

This seems possible and oven rise wasn't great one of the times I made it. I have had a lot of trouble getting the sourdough to rise in my kitchen -- it's generally too cold. I get impatient and have tried things like "hot water next to it in a contained space" and the results are unexpected. I just picked up a proofing box from King Arthur I'm going to try with the sourdough to get a consistent temperature and humidity.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

as well a bad release from the proofing vessel.

I think this is okay but probably need to work on it. I'm using a cloth-lined brotform.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
for a once a week feeding schedule, you're going to want to keep it in the cooler essentially dormant. when you're ready to build your levain to incorperate in your bread though you'll need to feed it at more regular intervals for a few feeds first. 25% of flour weight in starter should give you a fully mature starter in 12-16 hours, and you can keep these feeds small, like 50 grams of flour:30 grams water:12 grams starter if your scale is precise enough. i would feed twice one day, once the next morning, and build the levain that night.

in sourdough town, regularity is queen. the bacteria and yeast inside the starter have a short life cycle and if the starter has any strength and doesnt smell awful after a week it means they're not eating

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
also keep baking and dont be dissapointed in your failures. every spectacular loaf i've made climbed to those great heights over a mountain of poo poo bread.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape
Okay that makes sense and is good to know. I've been keeping it refrigerated between feedings and my two loaf attempts so far involved two starter feedings the day before attempting the bread. Roughly the weights you describe.

I'll keep at it. Now that I've the proofing box I can ensure a consistent, warm room temperature for the rise, which was challenging before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Haven't made bread in a long time but have some guests and figured it is a good enough reason as any so did the fwsy overnight white.

Got a little distracted during the proofing and feel like maybe need to tone down the convection in my oven when the lid is off because it browned pretty swiftly. Still tasty though.

Also some bonus banana bread that's cooling.