Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Saw this on Twitter (it's a Magic: The Gathering card run through Google translate and back), and it is giving me Orville vibes.

Sorry if this doesn't work, doing it through the app.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Saw this on Twitter (it's a Magic: The Gathering card run through Google translate and back), and it is giving me Orville vibes.

Sorry if this doesn't work, doing it through the app.

I literally can't imagine how a good faith translation of a magic card could end up like that, no matter how many times.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I literally can't imagine how a good faith translation of a magic card could end up like that, no matter how many times.

eh it's not incredibly impossible. There's some weirdness like the Roman Empire thing but it's surprisingly not super far-off from the original

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
That reads as real as those "I made a bot watch 1000 hours of ________ and write a script"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tell me in what language

Deathtouch -> Fornicator
Indestructible -> Abstinence

So I can buy the Rosetta Stone courses immediately

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Bloop posted:

Nevertheless, it will be crushed.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I have the glowing Kuchi Kopi as a present from my wife but I'm 99% sure she didn't pay that much for it.

I want a keychain too though :(

It's strange, because I'm quite sure a huge number of fans want Kuchi Kopi things, and literally no other toy related to Bob's Burgers in any way. Certainly applies to me. They did a miscalculation if they didn't realize that.

Iron Crowned posted:

I hope that they have a rare mustache Bortus with 500 cigarettes.

100% this, I must have it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

It's strange, because I'm quite sure a huge number of fans want Kuchi Kopi things, and literally no other toy related to Bob's Burgers in any way. Certainly applies to me. They did a miscalculation if they didn't realize that.

I can see them selling pink bunny hoods but yeah, bring on the Kuchi Kopi

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Bloop posted:

I can see them selling pink bunny hoods but yeah, bring on the Kuchi Kopi

It exists, we were talking about it last page when Orville Blind boxes with rare chase collectible chain smoking Bortus was joked about.

Warning $50, because collectible nerd toy Google for a discount coupon if you do actually buy that overpriced thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just want a stand with an Orville model that's heavily weighted on the front with a divot where it connects to the stand, so you put it on the stand and can rotate it around with a light touch and it looks like it is floating, like one of those balance eagle toys

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I just want a stand with an Orville model that's heavily weighted on the front with a divot where it connects to the stand, so you put it on the stand and can rotate it around with a light touch and it looks like it is floating hugging the donkey, like one of those balance eagle toys

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Bloop posted:

Tell me in what language

Deathtouch -> Fornicator
Indestructible -> Abstinence

So I can buy the Rosetta Stone courses immediately

They walk it through several languages trying to break it as much as possible.

https://twitter.com/RosewattaStone/status/1067418010439360513

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:agreed: Clothes are very frustrating

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pixaal posted:

It exists, we were talking about it last page when Orville Blind boxes with rare chase collectible chain smoking Bortus was joked about.

Warning $50, because collectible nerd toy Google for a discount coupon if you do actually buy that overpriced thing.

Here's the $23 version that I have, it doesn't have the bowtie but the color is more accurate IMO.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Here's the $23 version that I have, it doesn't have the bowtie but the color is more accurate IMO.

Glad there are cheaper options out there!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I will say on both of them the glow is really weak so maybe supplement it with a $2 UV flashlight from AliExpress :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

By the way, even if you don't play the game, Rosewatta Stone is a pro-tier follow:
https://twitter.com/RosewattaStone/status/1138430693372022786
https://twitter.com/WillWeaverRVA/status/1137901204854493184
https://twitter.com/RosewattaStone/status/1137705917447884800

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMkJuDVJdTw

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

I expected that just going to mandarin and back would have been totally whack but it was hardly messed up at all. Even more surprised how little was lost going through five languages.

Man the bad Asian translators of instructions really have no excuse. Those companies could just run it through Google and save some money, and it would actually come out better.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 13, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

:agreed: Clothes are very frustrating

Especially around the holiday season and you know those drat jeans were not snug before the holidays.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Especially around the holiday season and you know those drat jeans were not snug before the holidays.

:yeah: My mom should be telling me I'm fat, not my clothing!!!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Google translate is basically magic. I work in retail and it’s amazing how much you can achieve with google translate. In my neighbourhood we have a substantial Chinese customer base and many of them can’t speak a word of English; it’s amazing how well google translate works, I end up using it all the time to make myself understood.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. It doesn't do good translations for any of the languages I'm familiar enough with to judge, but they've solved getting translations functional enough to communicate with. Had plenty of conversations through it like a Star Trek universal translator.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. It doesn't do good translations for any of the languages I'm familiar enough with to judge, but they've solved getting translations functional enough to communicate with. Had plenty of conversations through it like a Star Trek universal translator.
I could imagine the currently emerging gen of language models/artificial intelligence for language might give a decent boost to already strong machine translation tech like Google Translate, e.g.: https://twitter.com/drob/status/1100799235467943937

Star Trek is always a fascinating window into what things seemed hard to us 50 years ago versus how hard they actually turn out to be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I kind of suspect where translation is now is as good as it's going to get for a while, but I'm one of those people who thinks machine learning/AI is being really overhyped right now and is going to be a much harder problem than a lot of people have been claiming lately.

Also it depends on the languages too. Good quality English-Spanish translation is an easier problem than English-Korean.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I kind of suspect where translation is now is as good as it's going to get for a while, but I'm one of those people who thinks machine learning/AI is being really overhyped right now and is going to be a much harder problem than a lot of people have been claiming lately.

Also it depends on the languages too. Good quality English-Spanish translation is an easier problem than English-Korean.

I just had a situation with an online sale where google translate essentially turned an English description into its functional opposite in Spanish resulting in a quite unhappy customer.

Probably don't buy expensive things based only on a machine translation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Sure, I don't assume that we will have full AI soon, but I can see a noticeable step forward in the quality of translations arriving still. Not perfect, but stylistically better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Sure, I don't assume that we will have full AI soon, but I can see a noticeable step forward in the quality of translations arriving still. Not perfect, but stylistically better.

I'm thinking grammar will get more comprehensible so you're not always trying to puzzle out things that sort of make sense but are phrased incredibly weirdly. But I'm thinking properly fluent translation is going to require the computer to actually understand the languages it's using and that's going to be extremely difficult.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm thinking grammar will get more comprehensible so you're not always trying to puzzle out things that sort of make sense but are phrased incredibly weirdly. But I'm thinking properly fluent translation is going to require the computer to actually understand the languages it's using and that's going to be extremely difficult.

With a big enough data set it could very conceivably get very, very close to as accurate as a fluent translator without any real understanding. At least for everyday transactional things. It will obviously be a lot harder for things like poetry or philosophy

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. We may not see big qualitative steps in translating meaning, but the phrasing of the output will be better.

The Bloop posted:

With a big enough data set it could very conceivably get very, very close to as accurate as a fluent translator without any real understanding. At least for everyday transactional things. It will obviously be a lot harder for things like poetry or philosophy
Well a lot of philosophy is incoherent and a lot of poetry is associative ...

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I think we're 5-10 years away from NLP universal translators for the major languages. Computers are still going to have problems with colloquialisms for a while, though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

People said the same thing about self driving cars, and yet Tesla's still aim straight for fire trucks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Peachfart posted:

People said the same thing about self driving cars, and yet Tesla's still aim straight for fire trucks.

That's the best kind of car to ram, they are ready to rescue you

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Peachfart posted:

Driving is a significantly more complicated problem.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dietrich posted:

Driving is a significantly more complicated problem.
... than language? I'm pretty sure we'll have cars way before real language understanding.

Speaking of which, the ubiquity of manually piloted spaceships in Scifi is probably appear as a massive anachronism soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know if it's a good way to compare, but the amount of time it takes to learn a language vs to drive a car sure makes it seem language is a vastly more complex task. Makes sense to me intuitively too, and as we all know intuition on the internet equals facts.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Cingulate posted:

... than language? I'm pretty sure we'll have cars way before real language understanding.

Speaking of which, the ubiquity of manually piloted spaceships in Scifi is probably appear as a massive anachronism soon.

Yes, absolutely.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if it's a good way to compare, but the amount of time it takes to learn a language vs to drive a car sure makes it seem language is a vastly more complex task. Makes sense to me intuitively too, and as we all know intuition on the internet equals facts.

It's not a good way to compare, because humans are naturally very good at using vision and spacial awareness to navigate in the real world and have been doing so for 16 years or more before they have to learn to do it at a higher rate of speed. Computers don't have 5 billion years or whatever of evolution hard-wiring visual cognition into them. Our brains employ tricks we don't yet fully understand to be able to process the data so quickly. And the kicker is that to be a good driver also means being able to predict the behavior of the drivers around you, which is in no way a simple problem.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 14, 2019

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Arguably we have particular machinery specifically for acquiring language (this goes against my own professional opinion, but it's a fairly prevalent opinion in the field), making the difference even more substantial.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grand Fromage posted:

It isn't though, because to learn top drive a car also requires you to develop fine motor control, and process and prioritize what you see and hear, and ability to think and perceive in 3D space. It's just those are tasks you've already mastered by that age

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Exactly why I thought just going to mandarin and back would be pretty mangled. Otoh I've done some translations to Spanish and back that came out hosed up beyond recognition. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also have to be clear what we mean. If you're talking good enough translation to be able to travel to a foreign country and use your phone as a UT to get around, yeah that's doable and we're most of the way there already. I'm talking about like good, you don't need humans anymore instant machine translation. I don't expect that to be cracked in my lifetime.