Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Exactly why I thought just going to mandarin and back would be pretty mangled. Otoh I've done some translations to Spanish and back that came out hosed up beyond recognition. :shrug:

English and Mandarin aren't actually as different as you might think. Mandarin grammar is fairly straightforward and has similarities to English. Plus there is no modification of words whatsoever, no verb conjugation or anything, which simplifies things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It isn't though, because to learn top drive a car also requires you to develop fine motor control, and process and prioritize what you see and hear, and ability to think and perceive in 3D space. It's just those are tasks you've already mastered by that age
A computer doesn't need to develop fine motor control to drive a car; you also need to develop fine motor control for speaking (tongue placement is extremely delicate!); and understanding how other people tick is probably much more complicated than 3D space. For example, many fairly stupid animals are really good at 3D space.

For full use of language, you need to understand what people think, which probably means you have human-level AI. I'm pretty sure we'll have self-driving cars before we have that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

Arguably we have particular machinery specifically for acquiring language (this goes against my own professional opinion, but it's a fairly prevalent opinion in the field), making the difference even more substantial.

That's just it. Recognizing objects and navigating among them is a massively complex task brains and eyes were highly specialized to do long before anything like a human language existed. That's been a hard thing to computerize.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Killer robot posted:

That's just it. Recognizing objects and navigating among them is a massively complex task brains and eyes were highly specialized to do long before anything like a human language existed. That's been a hard thing to computerize.
Recognising objects is a task where computers are extremely close, and in some contexts beyond, human levels already ..?
Generally, we have breakthroughs in computer vision a good bit before breakthroughs in language. For example, the recent breakthroughs in language modelling have come from taking computer vision-inspired networks (convnets with attention) and applying them to language. And there are specific tasks where machines beat humans in the field of vision; but not really any in language.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Grand Fromage posted:

English and Mandarin aren't actually as different as you might think. Mandarin grammar is fairly straightforward and has similarities to English. Plus there is no modification of words whatsoever, no verb conjugation or anything, which simplifies things.

Yep. When I took Mandarin in college we had to give oral presentations with PowerPoints of the English translation. With rare exception we could write it such that we could basically just read the PowerPoints substituting Chinese words for the English. Bring able to bend word order to our will was really handy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cingulate posted:

... than language? I'm pretty sure we'll have cars way before real language understanding.

Speaking of which, the ubiquity of manually piloted spaceships in Scifi is probably appear as a massive anachronism soon.

Avis mandates a person at the controls at all times and recommends you get complete coverage.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Cingulate posted:

For full use of language, you need to understand what people think, which probably means you have human-level AI. I'm pretty sure we'll have self-driving cars before we have that.

Gonna have to disagree with you there boss. Language is a lossy compression algorithm, but it's not necessary to fully model the thoughts of the speaker to decompress it, just to grok the context.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Orville: Google Translate Edition

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cingulate posted:

Arguably we have particular machinery specifically for acquiring language (this goes against my own professional opinion, but it's a fairly prevalent opinion in the field), making the difference even more substantial.

chomsky can eat a turd

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cingulate posted:

A computer doesn't need to develop fine motor control to drive a car; you also need to develop fine motor control for speaking (tongue placement is extremely delicate!); and understanding how other people tick is probably much more complicated than 3D space. For example, many fairly stupid animals are really good at 3D space.

Computers are already a lot better at controlling a car than a human ever could be. The problem is computers are loving stupid and have no real idea what's happening around them. Just feeding them piles of data hasn't worked.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

and that's different from humans how?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Speaking of which, the ubiquity of manually piloted spaceships in Scifi is probably appear as a massive anachronism soon.

In Starship Troopers, Ibanez plots a new course that the computer can recognize as better, but the computer can’t plot the course on its own.

That always bugged me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

See previous statement, eg: fire trucks

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peachfart posted:

See previous statement, eg: fire trucks

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Exhibit A.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zurui posted:

chomsky can eat a turd

seconded

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I kind of suspect where translation is now is as good as it's going to get for a while, but I'm one of those people who thinks machine learning/AI is being really overhyped right now and is going to be a much harder problem than a lot of people have been claiming lately.

Those commercials where they smugly gush over Microsoft "AI" drive me nuts. ITS NOT REAL AI.

We are nowhere near true artificial intelligence, and when it happens it will be one of the biggest events in human history and be all over the news.

All they have now are really good computers. Calling them AI is like calling those two wheeled electric balancing boards "hoverboards."

:bahgawd:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Those commercials where they smugly gush over Microsoft "AI" drive me nuts. ITS NOT REAL AI.

We are nowhere near true artificial intelligence, and when it happens it will be one of the biggest events in human history and be all over the news.

All they have now are really good computers. Calling them AI is like calling those two wheeled electric balancing boards "hoverboards."

:bahgawd:
They're intelligent and artificial. They're not general - they're restricted to rather specific tasks; and they're often not very intelligent. But it's still the best term.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The problems with humans are about distractibility, mood, response times, motor control, multitasking ... not about understanding the physical world per se. So the problems computers have and the problems humans have are very different.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It was snarky and rhetorical you guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A significant problem with artificial intelligence, whether you're talking about self-driving cars or machine translation or anything else, is that the amount of effort that it takes to go from 95%-100% complete can often be hugely more than it took to get to 95% in the first place. In some domains, this is acceptable. In others, it is not. If a machine translation gets 95% correct, that's probably okay for a lot of contexts but you'd not want to use it for translating contracts, court testimonies, or anything else where small changes in meaning can have a huge effect.

For a self-driving car, a car which wrecks itself even once a year on average is still unacceptably bad, for obvious reasons.

Krispy Wafer posted:

In Starship Troopers, Ibanez plots a new course that the computer can recognize as better, but the computer can’t plot the course on its own.

That always bugged me.

The complexity of coming up with a new course, and the complexity of verifying that a given course is better than an earlier option, are not comparable, so I will rate this "plausible."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Computers are very good at tasks where all the parameters are defined, and very bad at tasks where parameters are unknown. Humans are mediocre at the former and mediocre at the latter. Mediocre is still better than very bad though.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

PT6A posted:

The complexity of coming up with a new course, and the complexity of verifying that a given course is better than an earlier option, are not comparable, so I will rate this "plausible."

In fact the NP complexity class of problems is entirely* defined as "we can quickly verify provided solution, but finding it is hard".

* At least when translated to lay terms

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Isn't another problem of language vs. self driving is that the structure of a lot of languages is in place. Noun, verb, adverb, adjective and where they go is like 85 percent of the battle. Driving on the road is not that. Sure, you have to drive on a road but there is not like structure around it?

does that make sense?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

That always bugged me.

I don't know the scene, but in principle, this isn't unreasonable. Many problems are hard to solve but easy to verify. Pathing problems are often like this (NP-complete in CS jargon).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Astroman posted:

All they have now are really good computers.

To be fair, strong AI would also just be a really, really good computer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Isn't another problem of language vs. self driving is that the structure of a lot of languages is in place. Noun, verb, adverb, adjective and where they go is like 85 percent of the battle. Driving on the road is not that. Sure, you have to drive on a road but there is not like structure around it?

does that make sense?

Not to me

It doesn't help that language is handled by a part of our brain other than the conscious, thinking part--meaning we don't have direct access to peek at our brain's rules for How to Speak English. We can query it for whether a given sentence is grammatical or not, but that's it--we have to try to build up the formal rules just from those observations. And that's hard it turns out, much much harder than anybody who hasn't studied linguistics would ever suspect.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
That's absolutely right. We don't know how we speak and read and write. How do you make a computer that can? For that matter we don't know how we think...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That's absolutely right. We don't know how we speak and read and write. How do you make a computer that can? For that matter we don't know how we think...

Psch, I know how I think and speak and write.

Badly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ehh potentially several ways even so, but we can't intentionally make one that does it the same way we do, so they will always be truly alien

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
What does any of this have to do with 500 cigarettes?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Ehh potentially several ways even so, but we can't intentionally make one that does it the same way we do, so they will always be truly alien

Fred Jelinek posted:

Every time I fire a linguist, the performance of our speech recognition system goes up.

I.e., trying to model our language AIs to work like we think human language works, is a dumb idea.

So we just use a lot of data and powerful semi-general architectures instead. But interestingly, they recover much of what we would engineer into them intentionally all by themselves: https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.05950

Cojawfee posted:

Computers are very good at tasks where all the parameters are defined, and very bad at tasks where parameters are unknown. Humans are mediocre at the former and mediocre at the latter. Mediocre is still better than very bad though.
What goes for AI right now is increasingly good at things typically thought to be human-only tasks.

For example, current speech generation systems are already better than many Star Trek computer voices/Majel Barrettbeing instructed to talk monotonically.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

They can do it today with GPS. Granted there’s generally only a handful of possible routes for our pocket computers to calculate, but by the time faster than light travel is commonplace I’d hope our computers could handle the extra CPU cycles. Not to mention the initial route is going to be recalculated and modified continuously for the duration of the trip.

And I realize the absurdity of asking for realism from Starship Troopers.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I'm not sure I buy that the Starship Troopers scene is that plausible. The thing with space (especially interstellar space) is that it's very big, very empty, and celestial bodies tend to move in very predictable ways. Barring some unforeseen thing (like that asteroid they almost crash into), it should be a trivial task to calculate the optimal course between two points in space, especially if all you're interested in is going between two star systems like what happens in Starship Troopers.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

We don’t know how their FTL works. It might be like Star Wars where you have to account for mass shadows and plot around them. Much like most sci-fi it shouldn’t really be thought about too much and just taken as a way to say ‘she’s good.’

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think you all are missing the point which is obviously how rad those futuristic nineties computer readouts look.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Crew hard at work on S3!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Seth is in "The loudest voice", the Roger Ailes/Fox miniseries on Showtime.

Ballsy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/orvillegame/status/1148638915391295493?s=21

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The question now is if Fox approves.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fans make interactive starship video game:

Star Trek-shuts that poo poo down immediately even thought he creators didn't want to make any money off it

Orville-raves about it and makes it official and probably pays creators well

This is what happens when shows are done BY FANS.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

The question now is if Fox approves.

Seth MacFarlane retweeted the project a few times, it's pretty unlikely there will be any action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Will it support VR?