Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Oh hey, Tim Donst is still around.

How does GCW afford all these fly-ins and name talent? They can't be doing THAT well, and it seems like they run shows all the time.

tax breaks and grants, like most art institutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

How does GCW afford all these fly-ins and name talent? They can't be doing THAT well, and it seems like they run shows all the time.

They draw well for an indie at pretty high ticket prices.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CombineThresher posted:

Nick Gage robbed a bank

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1139355191491387393

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

They sold out a 700 seat building four times over Mania weekend, then took a few to lease out the space seven more times. That alone will go a long way to paying for the rest of the year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/combatzone/status/1139321553504501760

Welp I'm very glad that I didn't buy tickets for this in advance. Martina was the only reason I wanted to go.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

buries the lead. What's up with Martina? Did she really sign with WWE?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

coconono posted:

Seems to be the rumor. I genuinely can't think of why, NXT UK is a loving dead zone and the women's division doubly so.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lumbermouth posted:

Seems to be the rumor. I genuinely can't think of why, NXT UK is a loving dead zone and the women's division doubly so.

I can’t imagine her gimmick in a PG setting either.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, good on her if that's what she wants but it seems like a huge mistake. WWE gave so many young wrestlers brain worms so that they think they need to work for WWE to "make it".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If she wants the money and AEW wasn't returning calls, I understand her decision. It sucks because it's going to be a while before I see her wrestle or promo again, and also I hate talent I like getting in a position where they end up disenchanted with how they're misused, which...does anyone honestly think she's not getting misused there eventually at this point?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That's a huge bummer if Martina signed with them

Bants...... :smith:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, good on her if that's what she wants but it seems like a huge mistake. WWE gave so many young wrestlers brain worms so that they think they need to work for WWE to "make it".

Not only that, but that somehow THEY will be the one who overcomes the booking and ridiculous politics that have stymied their peers.

Even if WWE wasn't a PG environment, they have guardrails. She can't do half of her gimmick without audience participation.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

She was also starting to actually become a good wrestler instead of just an entertaining wrestler and WWE really is not the place to go to become better at wrestling.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

she may see it as her best way out of that gimmick

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

AIW's big singles and tag tournament is this Friday & Saturday. First round on Friday, Tag tournament early Saturday and 2nd round on Saturday night. All of which is on Fite.tv

24 man tournament:

Savio Vega vs MJF
Eddie Kingston vs Zach Thomas
Dominic Garrini vs Erick Stevens
Tim Donst vs Marko Stunt
Louis Lyndon vs Kid Kash
Dr Daniel C Rockingham vs Mance Warner
Lee Morriarty vs Colt Cabana
KTB vs Flip Kendrick
Pat Buck vs Hornswoggle
AJ Gray vs Nick Gage
Tre Lamar vs Joshua Bishop
Danhausen A.D. vs Matthew Justice

This is going on right now, by the way. Cabana's out injured, replaced by Colin Delaney I believe. It's been worth watching just for Bishop vs Lamar so far, both those guys are awesome and I hope they break out sooner rather than later.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 15, 2019

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Why does Bishop keep trying to kill people in the Odeon?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I only knew Dr Dan as a manager type so him taking stapler spots was something i wasn't expecting.

also lol at flip kendrick calling himself the OG Flip since he's been doing it longer

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I was pretty surprised at that too, he takes weapon shots a lot but I don't know that I've ever seen him get stapled or bleed or anything.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
oh god are they showing the Bishop vs Justice match with the balcony spot for the intermission match?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

They sure are. Having a balcony around gives these guys very bad ideas.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

coconono posted:

NXT UK offered deals to various people on Thursday stemming from the women's tryout. The Irish did very well.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Oh baby

https://twitter.com/OfficialPWG/status/1139722247273238528

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1139633794108067842?s=19

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

PWG SIXTEEN looks like an AEW show.

Main Event: PWG Tag Team Title Ladder Match: Zachary Wentz & Dezmond Xavier (c) vs. LAX
Brody King vs. David Starr
Jungle Boy vs Joey Janela
Black Taurus, Puma King, Laredo Kid vs. Rey Horus, Bandido, Flamita
MJF vs Darby Allin
The Dark Order(Uno & Stu) vs. Best Friends
Flip Gorden vs Trey Miguel

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I suspect the reason beyond is changing venues is because the city of Worcester towed a bunch of patrons cars so they could do a week long construction project on street in front of the venue during the last show

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love that card. Dark Order returning to PWG, more people are going to be exposed to Black Taurus, and that ladder match is going to be incredible

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_w74xomDvY

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That PWG card is extremely good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lumbermouth posted:

https://twitter.com/combatzone/status/1139321553504501760

Welp I'm very glad that I didn't buy tickets for this in advance. Martina was the only reason I wanted to go.
Can someone just shoot headshot the Nazi with a chair already?

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
I thought of doing a GCW review blog but didn't know where to start. Thoughts? Didn't want to put it here and spoiler for everyone else.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone just shoot headshot the Nazi with a chair already?

He's a nazi?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

He's a nazi?

he hung out with a neo-nazi band a lot when he was younger

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

He's a nazi?

He says he rejects all supremacies but he's got a nonzero number of Nazi tats so reports vary

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Shlak was/is a tattoo artist in Atlantic City, presumably did a lot of ink for AC skinheads/neo-nazis , played shows on bills with neo-nazi bands and there's at least one picture of him with documented white supremacists giving the sieg heil. He can deny whatever he wants, he's AT MINIMUM a Nazi sympathizer.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Supposedly he gave a more recent interview where he properly apologized for his past and the lovely way he handled it the first time it came up but still idgaf

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

KungFu Grip posted:

Supposedly he gave a more recent interview where he properly apologized for his past and the lovely way he handled it the first time it came up but still idgaf
He did? Link?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/mlw/status/1140083070101544960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

davidbix posted:

He did? Link?

Said supposedly because it was from that Tablet interview back in January, and i think it was a bullshit half assed "apology"