Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want to try Naturday out of morbid curiousity but I cant find them in less than a 30rack. Maybe I'm not checking gas stations' tall boy coolers enough

I have had multiple 12 packs for like $7 which is worth the risk imo

Also it's way better than it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A friend of mine is roadtripping from Indiana to Toronto via Detroit/Windsor with a short jaunt down to Niagara Falls. He's got a bit of a list formed for brewery visits, but are there any must-sees? He's said he'll pick up some stuff for me as well.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

robotsinmyhead posted:

A friend of mine is roadtripping from Indiana to Toronto via Detroit/Windsor with a short jaunt down to Niagara Falls. He's got a bit of a list formed for brewery visits, but are there any must-sees? He's said he'll pick up some stuff for me as well.

Kuhnhenn just north of Detroit could be worth a stop. AFAIK they don't distribute widely.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nth Doctor posted:

Kuhnhenn just north of Detroit could be worth a stop. AFAIK they don't distribute widely.

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Naturdays is the beer of the Summer

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm a dumb rear end and new to this: What are some good beers to bring to parties (for myself)? I know pilsners probably, but what else is good from a cheap plastic cup with a blade of grass and possibly a bug or two in it?

I brought a sixer of Grolsch to a Memorial Day party. It was unimpressive.

I'm thinking either "whatever someone else brings," or possibly "750ml bottle of a relatively expensive Belgian ale in my car when no one is paying attention."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Are you a mead person? Schramm's maybe but I have no clue what their bottle selection is like, or even if they are open. I personally can't stand mead but know some people lose their poo poo about this place. :shrug:

Edit:

I brought home a ton of pilsners and berliners from my Austin trip and there is just something about it not being unbearably hot and humid that makes the beers taste not as good? Was drinking some Live Oak Pils last night and it was 65F out, wasn't quite the same.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 13, 2019

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Sirotan posted:

Are you a mead person? Schramm's maybe but I have no clue what their bottle selection is like, or even if they are open. I personally can't stand mead but know some people lose their poo poo about this place. :shrug:

I don't care for meads outside of tasting them in very limited quantities. He's the same.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

GANDHITRON posted:

I'm a dumb rear end and new to this: What are some good beers to bring to parties (for myself)? I know pilsners probably, but what else is good from a cheap plastic cup with a blade of grass and possibly a bug or two in it?

I'm thinking either "whatever someone else brings," or possibly "750ml bottle of a relatively expensive Belgian ale in my car when no one is paying attention."

bring pilsners, but in cans. other easy-to-find crowd-pleasers are IPAs, ambers (Fat Tire), browns, witbiers (Allagash White ((or Blue Moon if you can stomach it))), and Mexican lagers- if you like one of those and bring some to a party, other people will absolutely drink them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My usual house party fair is coppertail unholy for myself since I can have four of those and feel like dancing (they're 9%) without being too embarrassed. And for anyone not brave enough to grab a hipster hand grenade I bring a lighter IPA like coppertail Freedive or CCB Invasion. Good news is that these are usually at gas stations.

So for anyone not in my area: decent ABV for yourself and something lighter/less polarizing for everyone else. Nothing dark for them, too risky. Go for pilsners, light ipas, hefes, and Amber's. There's a reason why those are classics

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I get half-off coupons for my local beer shop pretty frequently and have been picking up a lot of those Pilsner Urquell 4-pack cans. When you crack one of those open, it feels different than a normal can - more of a flat pop than the chi-koo of a normal can? Kind of hard to describe. Anyone know why that is?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So like DBZ Abridged Goku doing instant transmission versus official show Goku doing instant transmission?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GANDHITRON posted:

Man, gently caress sharing. If I'm going to a house party/hosting a party/family or in-law bbq I just bring a 20-30pk of some cheap poo poo and or Modelos. If I'm doing a beer share I usually do it with a small group of my cousins. Buy a couple sixers of randoms and pass em round. Helps alot that my cousin and I have very different taste in beer. I'm on the darker heavier side and they are on the more IPA hoppy side.

Anyway, I throw down that beer in a cooler and let it go, but THEN I reach for my bomber of high ABV Belgian ale or random Big stout and drink out the bottle. I feel no guilt that way when I bust out my superior beer :smug: I offer tasters to close friends and family who are interested in what ever hipster garbage I'm drinking. Usually after my bomber my 100 PBRs are still there and I just go to town.

IDK if your idea of going to a party is to get loving WRECKED tho :thunk: Might just be me....

fake edit: For my wife's 21st bday (many years ago) I bought a goddamn box of Mickeys 40s. That poo poo was tiggggggghttttttttt

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heading to Nashville in a bit, anything to be on the look out for beer-wise?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Southern Grist and Bearded Iris are the two everyone mentions, but i have not been impressed with anything i've had from either. in fact, most of the local beers we had at CBC last year were mediocre at best, although the TailGate location in Music Row had some good offerings and decent pizza, so we spent a lot of time there. Craft Brewed is a cool bar/bottle shop that would definitely be a regular spot for me if i lived in the area.

non-beer: go to the drat Parthenon!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

funkybottoms posted:

Southern Grist and Bearded Iris are the two everyone mentions, but i have not been impressed with anything i've had from either. in fact, most of the local beers we had at CBC last year were mediocre at best, although the TailGate location in Music Row had some good offerings and decent pizza, so we spent a lot of time there. Craft Brewed is a cool bar/bottle shop that would definitely be a regular spot for me if i lived in the area.

non-beer: go to the drat Parthenon!

Heck yeah, thanks.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yazoo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sierra Nevada RYE IPA aint so bad.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Naturdays sounds vile.

This is the only good strawberry beer https://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_150,h_300,c_pad,d_beer_img_default.png,f_auto/beer_660269

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Abitas Strawberry Lager is loving delicious too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Pete’s Wicked Strawberry Blonde

:rip:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Allagash Avance is pretty great, plus i'm sure there are some really good lambics with strawberries

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Josh Wow posted:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I almost thought Victory made a new wheat beer...

https://twitter.com/Wellbeing_Brew/status/1126473692584841216

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Lawsuit incoming

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Everything Funky said, plus Black Abbey brewing is also a decent choice. you can get a flight of every beer on tap

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
It doesn't have alcohol in it and it's 85 calories gently caress that.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Josh Wow posted:

It doesn't have alcohol in it and it's 85 calories gently caress that.

But it has what drunks need! Electrolytes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

air- posted:

I almost thought Victory made a new wheat beer...

https://twitter.com/Wellbeing_Brew/status/1126473692584841216

but why

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sports brew? Don't they know runners pound beers down all the time during a marathon? Get on that hash run boyos

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

on paper, everything about Naturdays leads you to think it should be garbage. But then it's actually good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MunchE posted:

on paper, everything about Naturdays leads you to think it should be garbage. But then it's actually good.

Sounds like me when I apply for a job

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Josh Wow posted:

yeah, i havent had this in a long time but it nails strawberry pretty well

Spuckuk posted:

Naturdays sounds vile.

it kicks rear end actually

e: i mean if you want carbonated country time

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sounds like me when I apply for a job

I'd hire you

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Gonna be in the Medford area of south Oregon in a couple weeks with friends in a rented house. What's the PNW's daily drinkers these days? poo poo I can find easily.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I drove all over New England last week and had a great time drinking beer. We did hang out an hour before Tree House opened so we could get some sick whale cans (we were 10th in line). I have to say, Tree House was one of the top 5 most impressive breweries I've been to. Apparently they sell 250,000 cases of cans during holiday weekends and they were still doing construction for their expansion. I ended up coming home with 3 cases of Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, and Tree House cans I'll be drinking all Summer.

Next week I'll be hanging out in Austin and hope to visit Jester King.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 15, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gay Retard posted:

I visited Jester King for the first time last week and I think it's probably the filthiest brewery I've ever seen. We did the tour (30+min in a temp controlled barrel room in Austin, hail satan) and there was just layers of grime that I'm sure were years old on pipes and elevated surfaces right behind all their tanks and kettles.

Also the public areas are all extremely picturesque, but not accessiblity-friendly at all. The stairways are all natural rock, it's very uneven, there's no handrails(edit: just checked my pics, there are handrails, they just kinda suck). Even if you're able-bodied and sober, it was a bit treacherous walking around. I'm not really complaining about this, it just struck me as a very conscious choice that limits who can go out and visit.

Great beer tho

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 15, 2019

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

You better also go to Oddwood and St. Elmo, keep me posted on your plans. Of course down to bottle share as well

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

Gonna be in the Medford area of south Oregon in a couple weeks with friends in a rented house. What's the PNW's daily drinkers these days? poo poo I can find easily.

Caldera is down around there and pretty solid, like their coconut stout (or porter? Can't remember.) The new 3-way is out and is a nice citra IPA. Pfriem pilsner in cans should be easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Beer to go bill in Texas was signed by the governor :cheerdoge: