Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Once, having split some kinda old logs for a pit fire, I tossed one on and out of a knot hole strode a majestic wolf spider. Three inches, easy.

She stood there a moment, exasperated, and then sauntered out of the pit, through foot-high flames, over gold-hot coals, past my seat.

I stood and made way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Spiders be nothing but the toys of ghosts

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Peanut President posted:

no posts about giant bugs are complete without this terrifying creature:

These guys starred in a terror-filled day when I was about 7 or 8. Some older kids on the street convinced us youngins one of these flying around was a super deadly bee called a Yellow Jack. They spun a great story about how it would straight kill you. I distinctly remember one of the other younger kids fleeing in terror yelling "THE YELLOW JACK IS AFTER ME!" and I imagine the older kids trying and failing at not laughing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i lived in southeast ohio for a couple years. every night for a couple months a giant wolf spider would walk out into the middle of the carpet and stare at me for awhile i watched tv. we were pretty good buds

Back when I lived in a basement suite, wolf spiders would sometimes crawl over my feet while I was sitting at my desk.
The place had a fly problem. I am pretty sure the upstairs neighbours kept raw meat on the floor because I would regularly see maggots drop out of the ceiling vents on to my carpet.
If it hadn't been for those spiders, I'm positive the bug situation could have been much worse.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I moved into a place that has a provincial park right next door. There's a path that's lined with pines on either side and that winter I learned never to walk through there once the first frost hits, especially not at night.

All the spiders that are freezing to death may be blind but they can sense heat, and will dive bomb you en masse. They didn't bite, but I had to drive home with them crawling across my glasses before I could get to a mirror to pick them out of my hair.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

ArcMage posted:

Once, having split some kinda old logs for a pit fire, I tossed one on and out of a knot hole strode a majestic wolf spider. Three inches, easy.

She stood there a moment, exasperated, and then sauntered out of the pit, through foot-high flames, over gold-hot coals, past my seat.

I stood and made way.

Holy
poo poo

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
When I was a kid we got a new couch, but for some reason I forget kept the cushions. These were left sitting outside in our carport (think garage but without walls) and one day our mom brought them back in for us kids to play on. She also brought inside the wolf spider that had apparently been making its home in said cushions. Fucker took an entire can of Raid to kill. The carpet was literally wet with it, before it finally stopped moving.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Speaking of more or less harmless horror bugs may I present to you the dobsonfly, otherwise know as the hellgrammite?

...Once they've done their business they're just waiting to die so they don't tend to cause actual problems other than scaring the crap out of people.

I think I've found my spirit animal

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
When I was a teen I happened to look up at the wall one night and a gigantic wolf spider was about a foot from my head, just chillin'. I screamed so loving loud all my dogs ran in to snarl at the door. The spider ran behind the couch, never to be seen again, thank gently caress.

I'm cool with spiders I can see. Spiders that randomly pop into my field of vision? Nope, nope, nope. Same with snakes. I like a healthy boundary for wild things.

Last week a co-worker hauled me into the supply room and was pointing, saying, "Get it!" I didn't even see the spider, it was one of those teeny almost see-through ones, just happily spinning downwards towards the floor at eye level. She got mad af when I scooped it with a tissue and tossed it back behind the freezer.

It was smaller than my pinkie nail and you wanted me to kill it? At least let it get a bit bigger, give the fucker a chance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Today I was out kayaking and found a bumblebee on the water. Scooped it up with a paddle and let it sun its self while a friend towed us to shore since my paddle was occupied. Put the bee on dock and it ended up flying away. Always help bee friends.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jun 16, 2019

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Cicada Killers are really chill for how scary they look. I spotted one in my front yard once and tried catching it in a net for my kid to see - it was almost the size of my pinky finger. The thing noped the hell out of there and kept flying down the street. Any other hornet would have tried killing me. Apparently their sting is pretty weak and they really try to avoid humans.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My mom once picked up a bee out of the pool to save it. It stung her and it turns out she was allergic and almost died before having to go to the hospital. That’s my new story!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean if something stings me the truce is off.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Alehkhs posted:

Which - as has been noted to be the case with most "scary" spiders - they probably shouldn't be. More recent studies such as Binford (2001) have shown a significant lack of evidence for the supposed dermonecrotic effects of their bites.

I'd be willing to bet it's misidentification with brown recluses, which do have nasty bites/venom that can cause skin necrosis

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The multiple spiders crawling in your mouth in your sleep over your lifetime might be bullshit, but it did happen to me, once.

It woke me up, a feeling that something was moving in my mouth. I did lots of clawing at my tongue and spitting and crushing something in my fingers. I thought I remembered flicking something onto the floor by the bed, but nothing was there in the morning.

I chalked it up to a dream until I brushed my teeth. When I spit out my toothpaste, I also spat out a nearly inch-long spider leg.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are you sure it crawled in to your mouth? Maybe you swallowed a spider egg and it was just trying to get out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
must have swallowed a lot of flies for it to grow that big.

are you an old lady, by any chance

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Metaline posted:

I chalked it up to a dream until I brushed my teeth. When I spit out my toothpaste, I also spat out a nearly inch-long spider leg.

Sounds like a waste of a good spider leg to me... Nature's toothbrush!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RCarr posted:

My mom once picked up a bee out of the pool to save it. It stung her and it turns out she was allergic and almost died before having to go to the hospital. That’s my new story!

Reminds me of that Norwegian girl recently who tried saving a puppy in the Philippines and ended up dying of rabies.

The moral of the story is, never help anyone whether person or animal

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean if something stings me the truce is off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOdikvMDho
Their form is their function, it is their nature to stab!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Sponge Baathist posted:

When I was a kid my mom was a huge arachnophobe who would freak the gently caress out whenever there was a spider but she also didn't mind daddy long legs spider-like bugs and also coexisted with a jumping spider who lived on and around her lamp at work. For some reason they convinced me that jumping spiders could detach their abdomen from their butt and that's how they jumped. No I can't parse what they told me any better now compared to then.

Here's a spider crab

Here's a regular sized man holding a spider crab

Ah, my wife works with these! Hers just "gave birth" this week, which means there were about 40,000 spider crab zoea swimming through the tank, all of which had to be fished out and put in a more suitable habitat. The babies prefer to be near the surface, then they grow up and sink down to the abyssal depths to live out their terrifying existence in peace.

Another one is carrying her own clutch of eggs, so soon it's going to be 80,000 baby giant crabs.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

AzureSkys posted:

I had a couple Bald Faced Hornet nests on my property that were discovered by me driving nearby on my lawn mower then them chasing me down 50ft or so later to attack. It felt like I got stabbed by something and I looked at my arm to see one had bitten me to hold on then was repeatedly stabbing me with its stinger. I swelled up like crazy to the point where I almost called 911 but my breathing was OK so I didn't. I then broke out in hives all over my body that itched like crazy. It took a few days before the swelling went away. Any other sting or bite I've ever had didn't do much other than hurt for a bit leaving a small bump.

When I removed their nest I wore my motorcycle protective gear with a full face helmet and welding gloves on. They were pinging of the face shield in fury. I've never seen such aggressive little things before! A few years later the same thing happened and I got stung on my ear and half my head looked like I was Andre the Giant's relative.

Googling for what stings look like brings up some comical pictures.

Well hello there!

Allergic reaction faces are pretty unsettling

(hair dye)

Mousepractice has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Jun 16, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Holy jesus

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mousepractice posted:

Well hello there!

(hair dye)

oh god no, the McElroy brothers are at it again IRL

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Mousepractice posted:

Well hello there!

(hair dye)

Introducing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Remastered Edition!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ooh that explains Laura Loomer.

Also are Cicada Killers the same as Japanese Wasps?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

When I was fresh out of college, I bought a kitchen table and chair set at a garage sale. The next day, I was enjoying breakfast at my new table when it suddenly collapsed into sawdust and a few thousand ants came streaming out.

Never buy furniture that has been outdoors.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nostradingus posted:

When I was fresh out of college, I bought a kitchen table and chair set at a garage sale. The next day, I was enjoying breakfast at my new table when it suddenly collapsed into sawdust and a few thousand ants came streaming out.

were your eggs ok :ohdear:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

verbal enema posted:

were your eggs ok :ohdear:

Are you asking the ants?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Brawnfire posted:

Are you asking the ants?

Look all im saying is if i drop some eggs and their good to go im still eating them

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Cichlidae posted:

Ah, my wife works with these! Hers just "gave birth" this week, which means there were about 40,000 spider crab zoea swimming through the tank, all of which had to be fished out and put in a more suitable habitat. The babies prefer to be near the surface, then they grow up and sink down to the abyssal depths to live out their terrifying existence in peace.

Another one is carrying her own clutch of eggs, so soon it's going to be 80,000 baby giant crabs.

This is absolutely wonderful, I envy her job.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Nostradingus posted:

This is something that would happen to a cartoon character

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I am truley sorry for your lots but this is a hilarious mental image

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ1eAM8CChc

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

scumby posted:

Spiders be nothing but the toys of ghosts

I think I stared at this thing for a good five minutes. It's a perfect snapshot of the absolutely uncanny weirdness of the era. "Nid and Nod trifle with The Evil Eye". You can't make that poo poo up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Nostradingus posted:

After one of the buildings in the apartment complex I live in ended up with a bedbug infestation because someone brought in furniture they found by a dumpster, apartment management started including a document stating you agree to not bring in furniture from curbs, roadside or the dumpster with the lease paperwork.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That image is...trying to advertise that thing as a product, isn't it? One-size-fits-all dystopian prisoner getups, maybe?

I'm gonna hate it if I'm right, but I'm gonna be way more confused if I'm not.

E: Oh. Okay. Reverse image search shows that I'm close, but also dumb. That is, indeed, a creepy image.

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

When did the SWAT series add wizards and why do they need battle robes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Special Wizards and Textiles