Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Grinding through a shitload of Spider-Man recently, and... ugh.

Well, interior art can't be as ba...

Kinda reminds me of something.

Chuck Austen's War Machine 2.0 MAX.

Poser, Max Poser. Agent Double-Oh :barf:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman Incorporated #8

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean, at least the Spiderman one has some semblance of style to it. It still sucks, but in a 2000s CG way, not in a Second Life way.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Let's wash off the taste of that bad Spidey art with an amazing one.

Yusuke Murata really, really, really wants to draw a Spider-Man comic, huh? I'm surprised Marvel hasn't tried getting in touch with him yet. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ygolonac posted:

Chuck Austen's War Machine 2.0 MAX.

good lord i cant believe anyone would want to publish that

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm pretty sure that was when Marvel was still climbing out of its bankruptcy hole, and right before Raimi's Spider-Man, so they were throwing anything at the wall to see what would stick.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

site posted:

good lord i cant believe anyone would want to publish that

I know, Chuck Austen wrote for them for years though.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Back in like 2012, Paul Kaminski (Editor on the archie sonic comic at the time) was hyping people up because he got a big name big 2 artist to do some covers, and... well...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Back in like 2012, Paul Kaminski (Editor on the archie sonic comic at the time) was hyping people up because he got a big name big 2 artist to do some covers, and... well...

I'm unsure if I'm glad or disappointed that the middle one didn't reflect Horn's usual style.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

But what did he trace them from?

edit: Never mind. I got my four-letter-last-name Gregs mixed up.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Selachian posted:

But what did he trace them from?

edit: Never mind. I got my four-letter-last-name Gregs mixed up.

Actually you're right about that suspicion, all 3 poses come straight from official artwork of the characters.

Anyways for some good art, have some Ben Bates (colors by Brittany Peer) from the Bebop & Rocksteady Hit the Road #1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bebop and Rocksteady's comics are so beautiful and awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The watercolors in the new Blacksad are so gorgeous that you can open to almost any page and see something that you could hang on your wall. You don't really notice how lovely the colors in most comics are until you see someone who is unbelievably good at it put something out. There's a huge part of the book devoted to showing how meticulous he was at trying to figure out the right tone and lighting that's just fascinating.

Just look at this

I know, I know I'm quoting this from like seven years ago, but I got this book at the library and when I got to this page my jaw just loving dropped.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/miltonknight17/status/1149107687814303745

also looking up "Milton Knight TMNT" led me to finding this

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thanks, I hate it!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thanks, I hate it!

you dissin' Milton Knight?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AOSTH robotnik is a marvel of animation and voice acting. Just :discourse: perfect.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean sure, that works for that character, but if his mission was to make the TMNT as visually unappealing as possible, mission accomplished.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Stand Still Stay Silent, a webcomic that takes place 90 years in the future after a mystery illness wipes out humanity. It is pretty as gently caress

Also has cat guards

Edit:
I'm a grade C cat

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 12, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Stand Still Stay Silent, a webcomic that takes place 90 years in the future after a mystery illness wipes out humanity. It is pretty as gently caress

Huh, looks pret

ElMaligno posted:

Also has cat guards

ty I'M loving SOLD

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ElMaligno posted:

The thing that always amazes me about this is that she does 4 full color pages a week, every week (with a 2 week break between chapters). Compared to most web comics that’s an insane output.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
cats are able to sense the presence of evil because they are in fact the very source of it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

strong Love and Rockets vibes off this random panel from Spectacular Spider-Man 165

Interesting thing is that the art in this issue is credited to "Sal Buscema and Friends"; Sal had been doing both the penciling and inking on Spectacular for a while (and would continue to do so) but this one issue is the exception.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

strong Love and Rockets vibes off this random panel from Spectacular Spider-Man 165

Interesting thing is that the art in this issue is credited to "Sal Buscema and Friends"; Sal had been doing both the penciling and inking on Spectacular for a while (and would continue to do so) but this one issue is the exception.

I turned up Stan Drake, Andy Mushynsky, Jack Abel, Mike Manley, Tom Morgan, Al Milgrom, & Keith Williams as the "many hands" in that issue. It definitely looks different from him inking himself, and reminds me of how profoundly different his pencils feel in the issues inked by Sienkiewicz later in the 90s.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ooh, nice find. I think the most likely suspect from that list is Manley, yeah?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

Ooh, nice find. I think the most likely suspect from that list is Manley, yeah?

That makes a lot of sense, I can see glimpses of what his style would become on Monster Man a few years later. I know the Hudnall/Calimee run on Alpha Flight has never been critically beloved but I've always loved his inks there, at times the whole look really reminds me of the Allreds.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Marvel Comics Presents (2019) #1

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Same energy

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

:pwn:
Ah, the 90's

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Ah, the 90's
"Stand back Batman, I'll handle this with my crossbow that I am pointing in the wrong direction!"

*both get shot immediately*

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Doc M posted:

"Stand back Batman, I'll handle this with my crossbow that I am pointing in the wrong direction!"

*both get shot immediately*

"I didn't expect Batman's head to be so big up close. It's really freaking me out."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Travis Charest grew into a fuckin amazing artist though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Land?

e: Land

Please stop giving this man work, comics industry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Land?

e: Land

Please stop giving this man work, comics industry.

I know it bears repeating just because of how unbelievable it is but as bad as we all know Greg Land is he's actually rather popular. And apparently fast and easy to work with. I don't care for his art at all but if the worst thing he does is trace issues of Maxim magazine then that puts him pretty low on the list of people we need to expel from the industry.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

I gotta admit, what gets me the most is how off center the big A is. It's like he's wearing a knockoff Halloween costume.

Also, poo poo those wings, those are hosed too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I always enjoy the game of "Who is it he's traced?"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

Ah, the 90's

Psylocke wanders into the wrong publishing company, Batman just rolls with it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

I always enjoy the game of "Who is it he's traced?"

I'm seeing Matt Damon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib