Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is what it does if you try to boot from usb.

that message didn’t come from any Apple software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
finally found something i truly hate about my iphone: the absolute pain it is to add your own music or custom ringers. there's a few albums i've ripped from my own CD's (zwan, older nightwish stuff) that isn't on spotify or apple music and so the only way to listen is my own copies and it was a huge pain figuring out how to get itunes to let me add just those things to my phone (also ugh having to install itunes).

the process to turn a song into a ringtone, however, is just insane. you have to do this ridiculous process where you find a song in your itunes library, set start adn end times on it so that it's <30seconds long (why? who cares?), convert it to AAC, open the AAC copy in Explorer, rename it to .m4r, then copy that file and hit paste inside the ringtones list screen of your phone within itunes. gently caress you itunes developers why did you think this was ok?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Management posted:

this is right after rebooting from the bootcamp assistant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

just add them to iTunes and then they will appear in your Apple Music I'm not sure what's difficult about that

the ringtone thing def sucks tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

just add them to iTunes and then they will appear in your Apple Music I'm not sure what's difficult about that

i don't use apple music primarily. i use spotify. i only want to sync the tiny tiny subset of my local music that is not available as a streaming song at all, i do not want my several terabytes of music to all try to gangbang my iphones local storage. itunes, at least on windows, makes it a bit difficult to find the setting to allow such manual management. it's like it never occurred to the engineers that people would want a setting other than "shufflefuck me daddy".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“drag music to phone icon” in iTunes isn’t so bad

what’s never worked reliably for me is WiFi sync. that will work or not work completely unpredictably

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

jit bull transpile posted:

finally found something i truly hate about my iphone: the absolute pain it is to add your own music or custom ringers. there's a few albums i've ripped from my own CD's (zwan, older nightwish stuff) that isn't on spotify or apple music and so the only way to listen is my own copies and it was a huge pain figuring out how to get itunes to let me add just those things to my phone (also ugh having to install itunes).

the process to turn a song into a ringtone, however, is just insane. you have to do this ridiculous process where you find a song in your itunes library, set start adn end times on it so that it's <30seconds long (why? who cares?), convert it to AAC, open the AAC copy in Explorer, rename it to .m4r, then copy that file and hit paste inside the ringtones list screen of your phone within itunes. gently caress you itunes developers why did you think this was ok?

You are engaged in anti-consumerist deviance, of course Apple isn't going to make it easy.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol at the idea of needing ringtones on your iphone. if you must use it for voice calling like it’s the 1990s again, at least have the courtesy to put it in silent mode instead of inflicting your "taste" on the unfortunate people around you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jit bull transpile posted:

licensing agreements for the ring tone store with record labels from the old days

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lambert posted:

Well, that's what you get for using a mac - things that are easy on PCs become a hassle.

:allears: i bet you think this is a solid burn

macinteesh have been booting from external disk drives without any hassle whatsoever since the 1980s

the only thing that's making Mr. Nice!'s experience difficult is that (a) windows boot and install is an insane shitshow because lol microsoft, (b) mac efi firmware does a lot of poo poo different from pc efi, because it's only kinda a pc, so the clusterfuck is magnified, and (c) not unrelated to b, support for windows on mac hardware is extremely not apple's highest priority, because if it was, why would they even be making macs at all lol

if Nice! was trying to boot macos from a usb it would work fine

linux too. i've booted live usb sticks on macs countless times

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ring tones were going to be a billion dollar industry said amd more cores guy and disco stu high-fiving at a chart of the rapid adoption of $0.99 paid ring tones, circa 2003

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

BobHoward posted:

They meant installing viruses eyoooooo

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Sniep posted:

ring tones were going to be a billion dollar industry said amd more cores guy and disco stu high-fiving at a chart of the rapid adoption of $0.99 paid ring tones, circa 2003

IIRC it actually WAS a p good gig to have, ca. those years. Less so since :xd:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

BobHoward posted:

why would they even be making macs at all

really makes you think

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

Yeah, even Parted Magic has been hawking better Mac booting under their breath and that's deffo booting Linux

USB booting has been around since the PowerMac G4 days.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

you think a bulletproof solid tested product like windows would have an issue booting/installing? ha i say to you, ha.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I moved a single folder from Dropbox into iCloud Drive, ~200 items at 500 Mb, and Finder is completely hosed, taking up to 10 seconds to respond to anything with some process called "bird" maxing out my CPU. It's been like this for 10 hours over multiple reboots. loving Apple.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
youre holding it wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BobHoward posted:

macinteesh have been booting from external disk drives without any hassle whatsoever since the 1980s

the only thing that's making Mr. Nice!'s experience difficult is that (a) windows boot and install is an insane shitshow because lol microsoft, (b) mac efi firmware does a lot of poo poo different from pc efi, because it's only kinda a pc, so the clusterfuck is magnified, and (c) not unrelated to b, support for windows on mac hardware is extremely not apple's highest priority, because if it was, why would they even be making macs at all lol

yeah it’ll boot literally anything other than a windows install usb by just pressing option on startup. gotta have the disk to install on this year mbp otherwise gotta do some funky dumb poo poo with virtual machines.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this is worse than all the anti-DPRK propaganda ever written

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

do you really need to click an article with a headline that dumb and worthless? he said, posting on an Internet forum

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

this is worse than all the anti-DPRK propaganda ever written

do you think you really need dark mooooode?

nooooo!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

i wrangled with linux for six hours today at work

i mother loving hate linux

it sucks big time until you need to support a server running windows

then it becomes less bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah it’ll boot literally anything other than a windows install usb by just pressing option on startup. gotta have the disk to install on this year mbp otherwise gotta do some funky dumb poo poo with virtual machines.

might be mbr/efi fuckery. i couldnt install windows 10 on my desktop either with a usb image lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trap sprung

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
macs have a hosed up fake efi/bios and they probably break bootcamp on purpose every now and then to prevent people from installing a working os.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, even Parted Magic has been hawking better Mac booting under their breath and that's deffo booting Linux

USB booting has been around since the PowerMac G4 days.

pretty much for as long as macs have had usb. I’ve booted Mac OS and linux from usb on a g3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

macs have a hosed up fake efi/bios and they probably break bootcamp on purpose every now and then to prevent people from installing a working os.

actually the windows installer is a piece of poo poo

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

iTunes briefly had a little snipping tool to make your own ringtones from songs without paying extra

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

iTunes briefly had a little snipping tool to make your own ringtones from songs without paying extra

I remember this feature! Why did they remove it? Did the booming and powerful ringtone download industry force them not to or something?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it migrated to Garage Band

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

a macbook pro?

yes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

it migrated to Garage Band

lol like I own a Mac for personal use

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BobHoward posted:

Imagine melting down like this about someone criticizing a shortcoming of your favorite computing platform, lol.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

Imagine melting down like this about someone criticizing a shortcoming of your favorite computing platform, lol.
    /

quote:

I REALLY care about my FLAC files. Really REALLY care. I listen to my huge FLAC collection with my Special Ears. If you don't you're loving stupid.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That title was bought by some guy mad about me pointing out the fact that streaming services don't deliver "amazing quality".

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

dark mode makes us pure before god

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

"in about 7 years people are gonna realize they eyes hurt... now I guess I could have a slice of pumpkin pie" -- Steve jobs

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

That title was bought by some guy mad about me pointing out the fact that streaming services don't deliver "amazing quality".

nah i was in that thread and whoever bought that title only slightly exaggerated your meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

did you boot to a windows install usb? not talking a mac or posix bootable usb - specifically a windows installer. if so, how? because i could not find a solution.