Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

P-Mack posted:

The 3DMG is futuristic sci-fi level tech given how compact and powerful it is. We also have the thunderspears which were explicitly whipped up using technology the government had been hiding, so they probably have even more advanced stuff tucked away somewhere.

Not to mention some pretty advanced metallurgy and materials science with the various titan-killing blades and grappling ropes.

Also whatever they've done to horses to make them so fast... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This is a major spoiler, but they stick a 3d booster up the horse's rear end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Poor ol' freckles, rocketed into a wall and died

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pssssh. Not mousing over that like a pro. :colbert:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Happy Father's Day episode!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The fact that the title drop for the next episode's name doesn't really work in English will always make me sad.

Also this is what people were talking about when they were saying how big the basement was. It completely changes the entire scope of the story in a way that nobody really saw coming at the time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
maybe people will stop calling attack on titan a fascist story now :nyoron:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

maybe people will stop calling attack on titan a fascist story now :nyoron:

The opposite happened when this reveal happened in the manga. There was a really popular post that went around talking about how the titans are just jews and the implication was that the jews are monsters who would take over the world if given the chance (and conveniently ignored that the history given that supports this is literal nazi propaganda in this analogy). That turned a lot of people who dropped or didn't read the series off from it and gave them the idea that it's some pro-holocaust fanfiction.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pretty sure we're supposed to side with the guy who had a little girl ripped apart by dogs for no reason.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

HOLY.
gently caress.
:tviv:

Such a change in scope I love it. Manga reading starts in two weeks.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Saagonsa posted:

The opposite happened when this reveal happened in the manga. There was a really popular post that went around talking about how the titans are just jews and the implication was that the jews are monsters who would take over the world if given the chance (and conveniently ignored that the history given that supports this is literal nazi propaganda in this analogy). That turned a lot of people who dropped or didn't read the series off from it and gave them the idea that it's some pro-holocaust fanfiction.

Didn't it turn out that the OP of that post hadn't actually read it either and was going off of second hand info as well? I remember somebody saying that at one point

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Dangerous Person posted:

Didn't it turn out that the OP of that post hadn't actually read it either and was going off of second hand info as well? I remember somebody saying that at one point

Yeah, they confirmed that they didn't read it, but didn't have to because as a Jewish person they knew what was offensive.
My Jewish roommate reads AoT with every new chapter, and my Jewish friend works on the dub of the show.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It's so stupid how much milage that post got

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saagonsa posted:

:lol:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Dangerous Person posted:

It's so stupid how much milage that post got

People still believe it and spread it around endlessly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This does dramatically change the scope of the show in an interesting way. Although I'll be too busy working out who the 9 titans are to think about any more important implications of the twist.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was thinking that I'd start reading the manga at the stopping point of the anime but now I need to go back to the beginning after that.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I appreciated the toy that young Zeke was playing with.

It was also cool to see the origin of some of the more memorable rank and file titans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This does dramatically change the scope of the show in an interesting way. Although I'll be too busy working out who the 9 titans are to think about any more important implications of the twist.

Try to figure out which is which in the various paintings!

ED: loving gorgeous art.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 17, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus, this series. This EPISODE. I'm still replaying it in my head.

What a show.

Everything was striking and shocking enough that I can even ignore how grimly hilarious it is that Grisha's second wife was killed by his first.

It's like with this one episode the world suddenly changed completely but still feels like a completely natural progression of the plot. Isayama's a master at this.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
As a manga reader, I'm loving the anime-only reactions to the episode online.

It's also good to see some familiar faces after all this time.

Isayama has a staggering commitment to foreshadowing.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Squidster posted:

As a manga reader, I'm loving the anime-only reactions to the episode online.

It's also good to see some familiar faces after all this time.

Isayama has a staggering commitment to foreshadowing.

Yeah, I picked up on a bunch of those guys as well.

I have so many thoughts and they're all competing for air time. Maybe I'll manage to make a coherent post later.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Pretty sure we're supposed to side with the guy who had a little girl ripped apart by dogs for no reason.

Eren to Grisha, episode 6: “Those weren’t people Mikasa and I killed! Those were dogs that had to be put down!”
Grisha: Please never use those words together again, Eren.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Catalina posted:

Eren to Grisha, episode 6: “Those weren’t people Mikasa and I killed! Those were dogs that had to be put down!”
Grisha: Please never use those words together again, Eren.

Edit: This isn't a quote that I'm finding.

I did not think we would get several episodes devoted to Grisha, and I am loving it.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 17, 2019

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
:catstare:

This story just keeps getting better. I thought some of those titans looked familiar too, glad someone already whipped up an image with the links between them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was thinking that I'd start reading the manga at the stopping point of the anime but now I need to go back to the beginning after that.
while yeah the manga has some real good fights(if there's one thing I'll give Isayama's EXTREMELY rough art, he is very good at kinetic action) and imo better hiding of the bert and ernie shenanigans that are fun to find on a reread, the artwork is hilariously terrible for a long while and even now it's only "good" most of the time with, even now, sometimes people mistaking characters for other ones. You can safely start in around chapter 30ish, which is the end of season 1, and you'll miss basically nothing.

My dream remake of this would be Murata redrawing it. He does musclebois real good and fight scenes better than almost anyone. Never happen, but I can dream :allears:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Now this is the good poo poo!

Holy hell, so Ymir really is super important?? She made it sound like she was just there and a bunch of weirdos started worshiping her. I can't wait to see what actually went down.

Also I guess that finally explains why everyone inside the walls were fine for 100 years.

Good to see my boy Ricard Stallman titan again looking vascular as usual.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 17, 2019

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

while yeah the manga has some real good fights(if there's one thing I'll give Isayama's EXTREMELY rough art, he is very good at kinetic action) and imo better hiding of the bert and ernie shenanigans that are fun to find on a reread, the artwork is hilariously terrible for a long while and even now it's only "good" most of the time with, even now, sometimes people mistaking characters for other ones. You can safely start in around chapter 30ish, which is the end of season 1, and you'll miss basically nothing.

My dream remake of this would be Murata redrawing it. He does musclebois real good and fight scenes better than almost anyone. Never happen, but I can dream :allears:

Otoh, the ramshackle artwork makes the titans look that much creepier in the early chapters, and lends an eerie tone to the story in general. The ways the art quality dampens the storytelling in basic functional ways is hard to look past, but there's also a grubby, raw, horror story illustration quality to it that works in its favor, too.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man seeing that on top of the wall section animated is absolutely brutal.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, that was a really solid episode. I would've liked tech to be involved with the titan origin story instead of divinity/magic, but it works either way. I'm not sure where this is going though. My head is spinning with the newly introduced factions, and what it means for Eren and "paradise". Zeke is a wild card since he could have had regrets about what happened to Grisha.

I don't trust the titan origin story as reliable narration. It could be a second case of brainwashing, because the government vs restorationists is very similar to the misinformation situation with the scouts vs the government.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Holy hell, so Ymir really is super important?? She made it sound like she was just there and a bunch of weirdos started worshiping her. I can't wait to see what actually went down.

Our Ymir was a nameless orphan who the cultists set up as the fake descendant of the Ymir Fritz bloodline. It could turn out they're the same person if there's more brainwashing going on, but they're different people based on the information we have so far. The titan thing is supposed to have been going on for like 1900 years, and it was depicted with the Ymir Fritz titan versus guys in medieval armor. Our Ymir came out of hibernation 60 years prior to the season 1 boot camp, and we saw her grow up in a town that had guns.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 17, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pootybutt posted:

Otoh, the ramshackle artwork makes the titans look that much creepier in the early chapters, and lends an eerie tone to the story in general. The ways the art quality dampens the storytelling in basic functional ways is hard to look past, but there's also a grubby, raw, horror story illustration quality to it that works in its favor, too.

yeah, I won't deny the insane scratchiness of the early titans really made them utterly, utterly horrific, but I still don't know if it's worth going back when you've got the anime already watched and it covers I believe basically every single thing the first 30 chapters do. And the titans are plenty creepy there, too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not going to even try to connect everything in a well written post, but I did make a prediction back in the season 2 thread that everything we're seeing regarding titanism was fallout from a larger war, and I wasn't exactly wrong. I had imagined more factions than we got though. Keeping things simple makes the reveal a bit less interesting, but there's still some questions left unanswered. I suspect we're going to get into a lot of "are we the baddies?" introspection from both sides in the long run.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

gently caress you sociopathic moustache cop

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy poo poo now THAT makes up for last time. Totally redeemed. drat my head is spinning with ideas. I assume that Zeke, Reiner et al are all from Marley and working for them, but the founding titan is gone now, right? The power that should have passed to Historia died with Reiss? So much to remember with this wonderful show!

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I thought Eren had it now? But he couldn't use it properly? Like he can harden and tell titans what to do and such, a bit? But he doesn't have the right bloodline so he can't just magic up a billion miles of giant titan wall?

or is that wrong?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

a computing pun posted:

I thought Eren had it now? But he couldn't use it properly? Like he can harden and tell titans what to do and such, a bit? But he doesn't have the right bloodline so he can't just magic up a billion miles of giant titan wall?

or is that wrong?

Yeah this is mostly right. Eren has it, but he doesn't have royal blood so he can only use it under special circumstances that haven't quite been revealed yet.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cheers! Just watched the season 2 ED and it's starting to make a lot more sense:

- Ymir making the deal with the earth spirit and rising out of the sea
- the war between the Eldians and Marley (allegedly)
- the Eldians being forced to leave and make their city

Still don't know what the old man forcing the three crying children to eat a corpse is about. And are we to assume that the 9 titans are still alive? Marley somehow "converted" 7 of them to win, right? So would those be special titans like Reiner and Bert? So many delicious questions

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I totally get why someone would find Holocaust imagery in the sci-fi action cartoon tasteless or inappropriate. Also whenever a fantasy setting makes real world analogies it's easy to try to read into the parts of the analogy that don't line up 1:1 for some kind of meaning or agenda. But it seems like a real stretch to take the in-universe fascist propaganda presented by the bad guys at face value, and also to ignore that the fascists are, uh, the bad guys, on the most basic level of storytelling.

I assume we finish back story next episode, but I really have no idea where things go after that. Aside from going, "whoa that's crazy" what do our main characters actually do with this information?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There's nothing wrong with using historical atrocities as inspiration to show atrocities in fiction. That's my hot take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Saagonsa posted:

Honestly, the story presented as is, isn't enough to exclude the criticism of it as fascist. This recent episode at face value, sides with the Eldian Restorationist, who would gladly visit death and terror on Marley and the rest of the world once they controlled the titans once more. Marley propaganda can't be uniformly manufactured, 80 years isn't a long time, it is more than enough time for thousands of years of historical fear at the titans to instill every facet of society. And sides against the Coward King who Refused to Fight. Fascism is an ideology of eternal conflict against the Other, that conflict brings vitality upon those who wreak it. To a fascist, the only proper way for a Man to behave is to always mash that defect button every game theory scenario, as cooperation is for weaklings.

However, later developments in the story do not buy into this ideology. Tragic cycles of history are nigh insurmountable, but there is value in attempting to do better. The King was not wrong to refuse to fight, his failure was a failure of humanity as a whole.

Another thing important is that the Eldians aren't empowered, they are cursed. Only nine (9) people on the entire planet have human agency while wielding titan power. Everyone else, you may as well be dead. Even during the apogee of the Titan empire, your run of the mill Eldian was nothing more than a disposable pawn pressed into the service of the nobles who actually controlled the 9 titans: only slightly better off than non-Eldians crushed beneath titan feet and teeth.