Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is that the first time SMP finished the race and now they're on the podium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh no the bird pattern shirt has become the dragon pattern shirt.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Lmao did they just admit that they changed the wrong tyre on the other toyota?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is something stuck under the car or what?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

And that is why whenever they had actual competition they lost.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
GRATS TOYOTA, the plucky underdogs have done it yet again

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

spaceblancmange posted:

And that is why whenever they had actual competition they lost.
Did they get hosed over by a Porsche driver waving them out of the pit into traffic in 2017?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

drgitlin posted:

John Dagys says they changed the wrong tire first: https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/1140238256770048000
You just got a shout-out on RLM about the #7's choice of driver!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Did they get hosed over by a Porsche driver waving them out of the pit into traffic in 2017?

iirc Kobayashi got tricked into a false start or something and burnt his clutch out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shumagorath posted:

Yup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Was it a Porsche or a P2 driver? I honestly forget. But yeah, after the dumb luck of 1999 and then 2016, to have that happen the following year...:smithicide:

I don’t begrudge Toyota these two wins, because they’ve become the ones who stayed around. And even if they’re the only factory on the grid, they still have to go run 24 hours without breaking, or hitting a Ferrari, or getting hit by a Ferrari. 2017 was incredible because it seemed like all of the factory cars were going to drop out (and let’s not forget the Rebellion using a hammer to get the starter motor going every pit stop).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Was it a Porsche or a P2 driver? I honestly forget. But yeah, after the dumb luck of 1999 and then 2016, to have that happen the following year...:smithicide:

I don’t begrudge Toyota these two wins, because they’ve become the ones who stayed around. And even if they’re the only factory on the grid, they still have to go run 24 hours without breaking, or hitting a Ferrari, or getting hit by a Ferrari. 2017 was incredible because it seemed like all of the factory cars were going to drop out (and let’s not forget the Rebellion using a hammer to get the starter motor going every pit stop).

And then getting loving DQed for it because the ACO likes to follow the letter of the rules* rather than something 100% within the spirit of endurance racing.

*Unless it's a French team.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Endurance racing will be held back as long as the ACO exist.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Not if it's about enduring ACO, which it seems to be.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Toyota is cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell agreed. Remember back in 2005 and 2006 when it was just Audis versus Pescarolo that everyone was talking about how amazing Audi was so I'm assuming people are just being racist against Toyota. Very sad

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think the TS050 looks cool.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hell agreed. Remember back in 2005 and 2006 when it was just Audis versus Pescarolo that everyone was talking about how amazing Audi was so I'm assuming people are just being racist against Toyota. Very sad

In all seriousness certain people seem to get extremely angry when they win.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Their C-V series of cars remain my favourites.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fumble posted:

iirc Kobayashi got tricked into a false start or something and burnt his clutch out.
I remember wondering how the gently caress that was even possible when it happened, and after a wheelspin penalty this year it astounds me that these cars have manual clutch engagement...? These cars are worth millions of dollars and should be all-electric up to 60km/h not the other way around.

harperdc posted:

(and let’s not forget the Rebellion using a hammer to get the starter motor going every pit stop).
That was so awesome. Didn't they cut a hole in the chassis to get at it?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Something like that. I forget the specific reason they got dinged but it might actually be for that.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Dudley posted:

Something like that. I forget the specific reason they got dinged but it might actually be for that.

it was for sneaking into parc ferme to cover it back up

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I think by the letter they were supposed to pop the rear end bodywork off every time, so it was more for “unapproved aero” by cutting a hole in the panel than “survival instincts” and doing something :thatsrad:

[edit] vvvvvvvv "running with non-homologated bodywork," which, letter of the law but jeez :rolleyes:

also it was a P2 driver giving Kamui the thumbs up leading him to burn out the clutch. In retrospect, what a wild drat Le Mans.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 17, 2019

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah that's what I remembered it being but I wondered if it contravened the "Start under their own power" rules.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iirc, it was that reason. A hammer starter wasn’t homologated.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They were dsq'd because the hole in the bodywork was not homologated and modifying it is not allowed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They were dsq'd because the hole in the bodywork was not homologated and modifying it is not allowed.

Yep, this. The modification to the bodywork (see: cutting it apart and putting a hole into it) was not allowed.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Well this is sad to see.
https://racer.com/2019/06/17/le-mans-gte-am-winning-no-85-ford-disqualified/

quote:

The official reasoning behind the 55.2s penalty, which moved the No. 85 Riley Motorsports entry behind the No. 56 (after winning on Sunday by 44.9s) involved violations of the minimum refueling time set for the Pro-Am class.
With a minimum refueling time of 45 seconds established in the rules for all GTE-Am entries, scrutineers from the ACO have judged the No. 85 Ford to have completed its refueling in 44.4s per stop. Using the penalty math supplied in the ruling, the 0.6s infraction per stop, multiplied by the 23 refueling stops made by the car during the race, multiplied by four, has arrived at 55.2s.
As noted in an earlier story on the No. 68 Ford Chip Ganassi Racing GT’s disqualification for excessive fuel capacity, RACER confirmed the No.85’s fuel cell was measured to have been slightly over capacity as well. No mention of this was made in the minimum refueling violation documentation, but a second ruling, signed nearly 14 hours later, called for the exclusion of the No.85 Ford after citing its fuel tank, which was restricted to carrying a maximum of 96 liters, was measured at 96.1 liters.

Here's a link to the ruling on the other Ford GT's penalty
https://racer.com/2019/06/17/no-68-ford-disqualified-after-le-mans-gte-am-in-question/

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just got home from the circuit, I am ruined and I just rocked up late on Friday. I can't imagine the state some people are in tonight, more than one person I chatted to today had a 10+ hour drive home.

Shumagorath posted:

I remember wondering how the gently caress that was even possible when it happened, and after a wheelspin penalty this year it astounds me that these cars have manual clutch engagement...? These cars are worth millions of dollars and should be all-electric up to 60km/h not the other way around.

Yeah the clutch control is manual, bur the only time you use the clutch in these cars is when starting or stopping.

The Toyota can start on electric power, and indeed does after every pit stop. I cannot remember the reason it tried to leave the pit lane under IC power instead in 2017, I feel like it was some sort of driver error but I am pretty sleep deprived at this point and my memory is poo poo.

harperdc posted:

Yep, this. The modification to the bodywork (see: cutting it apart and putting a hole into it) was not allowed.

Yyyyyyyyup. That and taping over the hole in parc ferme afterwards. If anyone really cares the stewards decisions are available:
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Results_NoticeBoard/06_2017/03_Le%20Mans/38_Stewards%20Decision%20Nr%2058.pdf
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Results_NoticeBoard/06_2017/03_Le%20Mans/39_Stewards%20Decision%20Nr%2059.pdf

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 17, 2019

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

ACO: I have the penalize the Fords, they gave themselves an unfair fuel stint advantage
Also ACO: THIS TOYOTA GETS AN EXTRA LAP

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Sad, but it's a slam dunk penalty. I liked their somewhat bold strategy of building up a lead and holding back the Am for most of the last 8 hours too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With that penalty, the only positive thing for me from the race was removed. ACO has really hosed this thing up bad, fast.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cygni posted:

With that penalty, the only positive thing for me from the race was removed. ACO has really hosed this thing up bad, fast.

It doesnt make sense, either. How were those the only two Fords that had the issue? The other American CGR GT had a system that was unique or magically aligned to the euro cars?

WEC/ACO/FIA can fluff a hog.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They will only have checked the top 4 most likely, plus some randoms.

Back in the day in BTCC I remember one driver parking up on the last lap because he knew he'd fail the ride height check (many were for some reason) but they only checked the top 10.

He got promoted into the top 10 and was never checked, which is why series now do random checks too.

It's a drat shame for Keating because this is 100% Ford's gently caress up.

Well that and the ACO's policy of changing the BoP every 12 seconds.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Why is it Ford’s fault? It’s up to each team to put the plastic balls in the fuel tank. Didn’t the Land Audi R8 get told after Daytona last year that they’d been too clever with the fuel tank volume restriction because the way they did it allowed them to fuel faster?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
It was definitely the teams fault, the pdf of the decision is in this DSC article and it looks like they got some calculations wrong:

quote:

The competitor explained that the team checked the Maximum Onboard Fuel Volume before the car was shipped from the USA and that they then rechecked the volume after the change in BOP, however this was done using the weight and density of the fuel rather than by measuring the volume directly.

Also worth noting that while a lot of people (not ITT though) are throwing around "only 100ml" they stopped checking once they hit the reported 96.1litres, since it was already over the limit and actually found more than that when they fully emptied the tank during the 2nd check with a team rep present.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you gotta do spreadsheet math the day after a 24 hour race to determine if someone broke a rule, a) the rule sucks and b) the enforcement/scrutineering sucks. Not saying they didnt break it, but winners having wins taken away for this kinda stuff is just so bad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it really isnt

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

If you gotta do spreadsheet math the day after a 24 hour race to determine if someone broke a rule, a) the rule sucks and b) the enforcement/scrutineering sucks. Not saying they didnt break it, but winners having wins taken away for this kinda stuff is just so bad.

counterpoint: if you're in a race as big as the 24 hours of le mans and you get something as important as the capacity of your fuel tank wrong, intentionally or not, you deserve whatever penalty is coming. they either knowingly gave themselves an advantage or are bewilderingly incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

counterpoint: if you're in a race as big as the 24 hours of le mans and you get something as important as the capacity of your fuel tank wrong, intentionally or not, you deserve whatever penalty is coming. they either knowingly gave themselves an advantage or are bewilderingly incompetent.

seriously, you spend enough money on this poo poo to just get it fuckin right