Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

VideoGameVet posted:

Bitcoin succeeded in wiping out much of the gains made in renewable electricity generation.

Awesome!
Yearly carbon output matching some of the smaller industrialized countries just to really drive that home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
For no reason, that's the worst part. All the hashing and energy wasting doesn't contribute anything to the network, it's just there because lolbertarians want their e-gold deflationary goobly-gook, gently caress the environment.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

For no reason, that's the worst part. All the hashing and energy wasting doesn't contribute anything to the network, it's just there because lolbertarians want their e-gold deflationary goobly-gook, gently caress the environment.

In fact if I understand it right, the hashing requirement just slows down the network's ability to process transactions. Totally artificially.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is mathematic make work that is deliberately made harder and harder the more people are mining so only some coins are made. Naturally this leads to giant warehouses in countries with cheap coal electricity like china running hashes just to get a few coins.

There is no saving bitcoin. It will continue to use more and more power for absolutely no gain to society, simply because people are greedy idiots.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It is mathematic make work that is deliberately made harder and harder the more people are mining so only some coins are made. Naturally this leads to giant warehouses in countries with cheap coal electricity like china running hashes just to get a few coins.

There is no saving bitcoin. It will continue to use more and more power for absolutely no gain to society, simply because people are greedy idiots.

Yeah, for those of you not familiar with how buttcoin works, see divabot's book, but the short version here is :

There is a set rate that coins are created at. Miners get coins by hashing out an acceptable answer to the crypto key. The first one to do so and publish 'wins' the block and gets 10 BTC. The mining program sets a 'difficulty' for the arbitrary crypto math to win a given block and get its bitcoins every 2016 blocks, based on the time it took to solve the last 2016, with a target of one block per 10 minutes. Meaning if it is running correctly, the difficulty changes every two weeks.

Since difficulty scales with amount of processing applied to the network, it is literally wasting more energy to get raffle tickets in a pool that dilutes with more entrants.

Here's the all-time difficulty chart:

That dip in late '18 is when the price got below $3k and Chinese mining farms started going offline because the power cost more than their potential returns. It's since spiked because the price has been manipulated back up over $9k so idiots are shoveling money into the furnace again.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gee imagine buyung 270 btc at 10 bux :smug:

Selling at 150 insted of 20k :grover:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
"selling"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gee imagine buyung 270 btc at 10 bux :smug:

Selling at 150 insted of 20k :grover:

4.2 at $200. Sold at $1000

:shootme:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's why I don't beat myself up over not buying a few sub $30 bitcoins for fun when I was bored the first summer and wanted to try arbitraging them. They either would have been lost in Mt. Gox or sold at $100.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The great part is almost nobody gets out at the 'book' price, which is mostly generated by exchanges trading with themselves and stuffing the order book to make it look like there is market activity.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Liquid Communism posted:

The great part is almost nobody gets out at the 'book' price, which is mostly generated by exchanges trading with themselves and stuffing the order book to make it look like there is market activity.

Wow, so not only do you need to "solve" an ever increasingly difficult make-work problem to process transactions, exchanges are also requesting unnecessary make-work transactions. Un-loving-believable.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

anonumos posted:

Wow, so not only do you need to "solve" an ever increasingly difficult make-work problem to process transactions, exchanges are also requesting unnecessary make-work transactions. Un-loving-believable.

Proof of busywork.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally meant to give coins to who has the biggest computer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anonumos posted:

nah, if that were to happen, bitcoin would seize up

exchanges use minimal accounts to cover everything and use their own internal ledgers and publish trades via an api rather than the blockchain

if you use bitcoin at any sort of volume, it tends to cause the entire system to seize up because the thouroughput sucks

like the entire system has been paralyzed by people making bets and trading virtual cats before

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Specifically, that was in Ethereium, which is like Bitcoin but it's meant to have programs running on top of it.

Even its best-case scenario, trading cat pictures, doesn't work at any kind of scale. And when people tried to set up an investment fund on it, their lovely code allowed an attacker to make negative payments (i.e. withdrawals) or something like that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

What I wouldn't give to resurrect Jean Baudrillard for one day and explain Bitcoin to him. I'm guessing he'd shoot himself on the spot.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm sometimes astounded that it still exists and that some few otherwise serious people somehow don't understand how unworkable and dumb it ultimately is.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
gently caress this weird Facebook crytpo currency poo poo. I'm tired of this awful gay world.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

How are u posted:

gently caress this weird Facebook crytpo currency poo poo. I'm tired of this awful gay world.

So is every device with the app installed going to endless crunch check sums or what?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

ReidRansom posted:

I'm sometimes astounded that it still exists and that some few otherwise serious people somehow don't understand how unworkable and dumb it ultimately is.

Like the entirety of drug trafficking trade is through bitcoin/crypto purchases these days. Why would anyone think crypto is going anywhere? People are always going to want to get high or make money off those people.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
To clarify, the make-work part of bitcoin is there to prevent double-spend while still allowing transactions to be processed in a distributed manner (which, useful or not, a lack of a central exchange is one of bitcoins major features). It allows the seller to be confident that, once the transaction is part of the blockchain, it will remain in the blockchain.

The coins provided for “miners” are an incentive to process transactions even though they are computationally intense. The awards decrease over time because the need to incentivize miners would (in the theory of the creators) decrease over time as bitcoin usage increased; miners would operate simply to keep the economy going. It’s deflationary because this is the only way new bitcoins ever get created, and the rate eventually goes to zero.

Gumbercules fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 18, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

shirunei posted:

Like the entirety of drug trafficking trade is through bitcoin/crypto purchases these days. Why would anyone think crypto is going anywhere? People are always going to want to get high or make money off those people.

[citation needed]

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solkanar512 posted:

So is every device with the app installed going to endless crunch check sums or what?

No, they're not doing anything that stupid. It costs 0 power to just say "our new gift cards are cryptoblockchainified" and then simply run like a normal payments and balance system.

shirunei posted:

This is literally impossible, pile all the bitcoins and altcoins together and neither their total nominal value nor their trading volume is enough to support global drug trafficking.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1141004776882298880

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hell yes, the plan is you get a seat on the future libra central bank if you have the most money or were a founding member:

quote:

Currently, the Libra Blockchain is what’s known as “permissioned,” where only entities that fulfill certain requirements are admitted to a special in-group that defines consensus and controls governance of the blockchain. The problem is this structure is more vulnerable to attacks and censorship because it’s not truly decentralized. But during Facebook’s research, it couldn’t find a reliable permissionless structure that could securely scale to the number of transactions Libra will need to handle. Adding more nodes slows things down, and no one has proven a way to avoid that without compromising security.

That’s why the Libra Association’s goal is to move to a permissionless system based on proof-of-stake that will protect against attacks by distributing control, encourage competition and lower the barrier to entry. It wants to have at least 20% of votes in the Libra Association council coming from node operators based on their total Libra holdings instead of their status as a founding member. That plan should help appease blockchain purists who won’t be satisfied until Libra is completely decentralized.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I love the concept of a digital currency because gently caress credit cards and banks, but apparently we can only have it in the form of neckbeards running various private forks of KookieKlickerKoin.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Okay, new project:

A blockchain registry that tracks other blockchains and their purported functions, promises, and estimated market value. The Yellow Pages of blockchain. Yellowchain. YeloChain. The YOLOPages.

We're now taking investors who want to get in on the action early. You know where to send the money. (USD-denominated currency only, sorry no crypto.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ryonguy posted:

I love the concept of a digital currency because gently caress credit cards and banks, but apparently we can only have it in the form of neckbeards running various private forks of KookieKlickerKoin.

Credit cards and banks are already digital money, it's no longer 1955.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

In fact, Libras control is going to rest directly with said credit card companies. It’s purported advantage seems to be mostly an attempt to get around Forex transaction costs and restrictions. Theoretically, this could be a good thing for people who can’t rely on their national currency.

While it’s a digital currency, it doesn’t really seem to be a full cryptocurrency. are the wallets actually going to be anonymous? I can’t imagine they would allow anything resembling a tumbler.

There are advantages to digital currencies even without full anonymity; the smart contract idea, I think, is an unexplored opportunity for lowering transaction costs for stuff like escrow.

That’s about the brightest side I can look on, though; at the end of the day. It’s just a a currency owned by banks directly, it’s almost certainly a bad thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gumbercules posted:

There are advantages to digital currencies even without full anonymity; the smart contract idea, I think, is an unexplored opportunity for lowering transaction costs for stuff like escrow.

How do you make a smart contract that can verify things which happen in the real world?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

How are u posted:

Classic tech bro disruption:
Existing idea: scrip
Made worse with tech: the company store is now duty free
And the final ingredient: the stock went up on announcement.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

fishmech posted:

Credit cards and banks are already digital money, it's no longer 1955.

Fascinating. But have you considered

Really makes you think.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

fishmech posted:

How do you make a smart contract that can verify things which happen in the real world?

You can’t, but you can do things like this: https://medium.com/coinmonks/escrow-service-as-a-smart-contract-the-business-logic-5b678ebe1955

Basically, you can create agreements to move money between parties according to verifiable rules. In escrow situations, it involves using money beyond the payment price as collateral; that way, both parties are interested in seeing the contract to some sort of equitable conclusion, be it completion or a refund.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Like everything Facebook does that didn't start in a dorm room in 2003 or isn't Buying Instagram, their little crypto-scrip thing is going to accomplish jack gently caress

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gumbercules posted:

You can’t

Thanks that's all we needed. That is why "smart contracts" are useless.

Gumbercules posted:

but you can do things like this: https://medium.com/coinmonks/escrow-service-as-a-smart-contract-the-business-logic-5b678ebe1955

Basically, you can create agreements to move money between parties according to verifiable rules. In escrow situations, it involves using money beyond the payment price as collateral; that way, both parties are interested in seeing the contract to some sort of equitable conclusion, be it completion or a refund.

Right this means you don't actually gain anything over existing escrow systems, except an additional way to fail. Which smart contracts have often done, whether from people simply lying about some aspect of the contract terms, which some piece of poo poo Solidity code can't figure out, or the contract having been mis-written from the start with no luxury of a "smart court" to hash out how to handle an incorrectly written contract.

I will also note that the listed fees in that article greatly exceed typical consumer or business escrow service fees, for the things we typically use escrow on.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I thank btc for helping me purchase my first house

And kayak

I mean a real kayak

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gumbercules posted:

You can’t, but you can do things like this: https://medium.com/coinmonks/escrow-service-as-a-smart-contract-the-business-logic-5b678ebe1955

Escrow services already exist. Even tiny, single-interest forums will have a few trusted intermediaries pop up to service sales and trades. What "escrow, but blockchain" misses is that the hard part isn't payment processing, it's ensuring that the intent of both parties is upheld.

Like, what is the automated way of ensuring that an apartment is in a livable condition before releasing withheld rent? Or verifying that a device is in working condition before releasing payment?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 18, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Like everything Facebook does that didn't start in a dorm room in 2003 or isn't Buying Instagram, their little crypto-scrip thing is going to accomplish jack gently caress

Why would it when they’ve already got the major credit cards and a bunch of money on board?

It’s just a corporate controlled currency, ignore the bitcoin facade, the reason it might work is because finance wants it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

The smart contract bakes in incentive to finish the contract in terms of collateral. That’s not a fee, both sides get all the money back as long as the contract is completed.

“Poorly written contracts” are a technology problem, not a fundamental problem.

The advantage is that you don’t need to trust a third party at all. You don’t need to find one and you don’t need to trust one, the trust is implied through the verified collateral.