Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The way people talk about buying a $2000 rig just to play this game and how the dust particles refracting off the window panes are some transformative experience hitherto unseen would indicate that yes, many people have lost their minds.

The dust thing, Metro Exodus, and Kingdom Come Deliverance already did those effects. I'm sure there are other older games that had that as well. Cyberpunk 2077 launches with Nvidia RTX raytracing but unless Nvidia releases a new graphics card between now and launch, it's not like anyone will be seeing those effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Collateral posted:

Is it being implied here that devs at CDPR are expected to work days, nights and weekends continuously for months? Bit harsh that. You would think they would be allowed home to sleep, and possibly wash, at the very least, I am going to presume CDPR at least provide beds and meals.

Those Poles and their work ethic.

Witcher 3 had well documented (CDPR's own admission) employee abuse, forcing their artists and programmers to work 100 hour weeks or risk being fired.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I will say, after finding out about Witcher 3 having a robust amount of mods, this game is gonna be bonkers with it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

As with anything there are things witcher 3 dows well and things that are "videogamey" and pretending like its somehow unique is real silly.

Every other rpg? Not really...

Yeah, it does writing and world building well. Better than every other RPG, or most other games in general (though comparing that in games across genre is harder).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, it does writing and world building well. Better than every other RPG, or most other games in general (though comparing that in games across genre is harder).

It does writing and world building well.

Better than every RPG? That's just silly though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TW3 does it incredibly well. However it also has a lot of source material to draw on, so I weigh it a bit differently against RPGs that come up with their own lore and characters wholecloth tbh

I'd still say the writing is overall better than most RPGs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres also not been all that many major AAA RPGs in the last 10 years.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres also not been all that many major AAA RPGs in the last 10 years.

Yeah, there's not a lot of modern RPGs to really compare it to, and comparing it to older ones can be a bit unfair in a sense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does anyone really want to play Cyberpunk 2077 for anything except the experience of finally having your 90s tabletop groups' experiences replicated in HD?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zaphod42 posted:

It does writing and world building well.

Better than every RPG? That's just silly though.
It's easily true. I don't think it's super impressive, most video game writing is awful, so it's not exactly reaching for the stars to say that witcher 3 does it best because they bothered to try. I'm struggling to think of an RPG that comes close - deus ex was a long time ago and I doubt it holds up. Planescape was a series of info-dumps, it certainly was interesting but I don't think I cared about characters the way I did here, it made me think things like "ohhh that's interesting" as opposed to "noooo how can they do that???", nothing there is weighty the way it is in witcher 3.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

chitoryu12 posted:

Does anyone really want to play Cyberpunk 2077 for anything except the experience of finally having your 90s tabletop groups' experiences replicated in HD?

You think most people playing this game will know anything about the source material?

I'm here because I like the aesthetic and I'm looking for an heir to Deus Ex.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I want the feeling I had when I played original Deus Ex. I haven't had that feeling since and I kind of get that vibe from Cyberpunk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I honestly didn't even know Cyberpunk 2077 was based on a pen and paper game until after CDPR showed off that CGI teaser 5 years ago.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My group's CP2020 play sessions were pretty bad in retrospect, but our experience with the world was the sourcebook and some random sci-fi movies. I haven't read Neuromancer or other genre books until couple of years later.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes. Absolutely. I made a cop who was on the psychosquad who eventually got ~~~cyberpsychosis~~~ and lost his link to humanity and became the thing they hunted.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

all the posters together

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

"Cyberpunk 2077 is a video game" isn't really the sort of criticism I was expecting to see from people who have played the demo and now I rather feel like I don't understand what these words mean.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

You think most people playing this game will know anything about the source material?

I'm here because I like the aesthetic and I'm looking for an heir to Deus Ex.

I don't think most but I'm actually a bit surprised people who followed it since the 2013 teaser didn't know about the PnP game

Also "it's a game" is a silly criticism, nobody looks at VtmB and doesn't notice that it's a game, it's still considered a classic despite the flaws

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's the sort of blanket, dumbass statement that makes me loathe admitting that I play video games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

frajaq posted:

all the posters together

This looks loving sweet spread across my double monitor set up, thank you!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Considering CDPR devs started anonymously comparing cyberpunk to anthem after that postmorten got released, things might be bad and getting worse.
More info please. Also, stop making me regret having it preordered already.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This trends with immersion is doubly stupid not only because games are going to be games, but also because people claim that the dumbest poo poo is immersive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think they were just comparing CDPR's bad record on crunch and developer burnout to Bioware, who were experiencing the same thing throughout the development of Anthem. Cyberpunk 2077 being vaguely disappointing definitely seems plausible but a total broken disaster seems unlikely.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The second they announced the very limited "classes" you're able to play I had to temper my expectations for this game a lot (like it seems regardless of the Solo/Techie/Netrunner talent trees, you're basically playing a Solo from footage so far), but I'm still REALLY excited for it.

Rip cybercop possibility tho

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

I honestly didn't even know Cyberpunk 2077 was based on a pen and paper game until after CDPR showed off that CGI teaser 5 years ago.

Same, I figured it was just off brand shadowrun without the license and the street orcs.

I also played rifts... lots of cyberpunk stuff but never the literal "cyberpunk" game, who knew?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

I think they were just comparing CDPR's bad record on crunch and developer burnout to Bioware, who were experiencing the same thing throughout the development of Anthem. Cyberpunk 2077 being vaguely disappointing definitely seems plausible but a total broken disaster seems unlikely.

while both are bad Anthem's crunch came as a result of spending five years of a six-year dev cycle with no direction or solid idea of what the final product was supposed to be

so they kinda had to crunch in order to actually produce something resembling a game in that final year

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

frajaq posted:

The second they announced the very limited "classes" you're able to play I had to temper my expectations for this game a lot (like it seems regardless of the Solo/Techie/Netrunner talent trees, you're basically playing a Solo from footage so far), but I'm still REALLY excited for it.

Same. I was hoping for Witcher 3 with deep character customization and better RPG systems. If all we're getting is a game with the quest and story proficiency of Witcher 3, only minor character customization/RPG options, in a cyberpunk setting, then my expectations are tempered but I'm still very happy with that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Witcher 1 was the only cdpr production with trace elements of Bioware MagicTM.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
As much as I'd like the other classes, implementing the ones where the main benefit is social (Media, Cop, Corpo, Nomad, arguably Rockerboy) seems like it would be hard but admittedly not impossible. Medtech would have been nice I guess?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s also the very real possibility of releasing new character classes and weapons and stuff as DLC I mean look at all the free bullshit they gave away with the Witcher three

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Cyberpunk is not a mere videogame, it is a braindance.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

frajaq posted:

all the posters together

Hello my new 21:9 monitor wallpaper. Thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pretty good interview, addresses some of the thread's recent questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jjsZTopm8

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Pattonesque posted:

while both are bad Anthem's crunch came as a result of spending five years of a six-year dev cycle with no direction or solid idea of what the final product was supposed to be

so they kinda had to crunch in order to actually produce something resembling a game in that final year

Having worked at EA for 6 years in my early 30's I can attest to regular OT for both Developers and QA for all games. Of course the worse the management the worse the crunch, but the crunch is always there by design.

Having to get down to zero bugs at each milestone means you are required to have crunch to hit your milestones to get your bonus. This is for Development Managers, QA Managers and so on. It's a bad system and leads to burnout even on sports teams with a regular yearly cycle.

The business model is the problem and that won't be changing anytime soon, unless you want to overthrow capitalism's exponential growth.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I will say, after finding out about Witcher 3 having a robust amount of mods, this game is gonna be bonkers with it.

The big advantage in the Witcher 3 modding community was that all of its scripting was in lua so you could directly edit a lot of game mechanics directly. There were mods to change sign mechanics, mods to spawn extra monsters or boss monsters periodically, and all the quality of life mods you can imagine. The drawback was that there was no framework for adding quests/content into the game, so you really just had graphics and scripting mods.

I would love it if we could get a robust editor for Cyberpunk, but even if we don’t I’d expect a good amount of pure scripting mods.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Is this aesthetic

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 18, 2019

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Hamelekim posted:

unless you want to overthrow capitalism's exponential growth.

yes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Deified Data posted:

Is this aesthetic

Thanks for dredging up dumb poo poo that has been historically taken as dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That looks like the basis of that dystopian cyberpunk side-scroller game where political correctness brought about the apocalypse or something.