Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We'll get to see when we carry Ruth up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Tsyni posted:

We'll get to see when we carry Ruth up.

Oh lord. I can’t wait to see the thread tear itself apart in grief over Ruth. I want to toxx that we’ll do something incredibly dumb but there’s also a strong chance we’ll just vote to be as emotionless as we were when Amok told us we’re doomed.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

The basis for mt har paths would be the enkidu death story which had him run up a path to escape labaras and meet ganal, the gathering of red cedar which grow on the slopes of mt har although admittedly it could be some crazy mountain climbing gardening thing and finally it is said the mighty men of baitel guard all the passes of mt har and enkidel got yelled at by some mighty man guard when he got too near.

Definitely voting to be a robot for ruth or the stunned parent that lost a kid but hasn't let it sink in yet.

Oh yeah if enkidel survives long enough to be stuck in ur for fear of demonic armies flesh carting him the moment he steps outside of ur, under the cover of pilgrimage I want to bring the gebs and every thin blue blooded person or at least the usual teenager and old people to Baitel so we can use some el cred to ask to make a new covenant for the people destined to poof into nothing. Hopefully the future quest to map out the river up lake acco will be completed by then and everyone can just boat their way untill they reach the outskirts of Baitel.

Hopefully boat tech has advanced to the point the caravan can carry them on land. Plus this helps Enkidel get used to leading caravans of mostly unblooded people. He's going to need it.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 17, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Crazycryodude posted:

These days the sherpas do all the work anyways, it's not that impressive it's just a way for the privileged few to show off how they won the genetic lottery and got enough bluestuff to persist instead of vanishing

Running low on bottled nephesh, send the tamalid down for a refill.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Z the IVth posted:

So the paths up the mountain are just paths? No structures or anything else?

You saw.none.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Barkstone/Stone of the Mountain is white. Could be like coral. Bright and lively and all normal when alive/close to El's place. Loses all color when dead/removed from El's place.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Polgas posted:

The basis for mt har paths would be the enkidu death story which had him run up a path to escape labaras and meet ganal, the gathering of red cedar which grow on the slopes of mt har although admittedly it could be some crazy mountain climbing gardening thing and finally it is said the mighty men of baitel guard all the passes of mt har and enkidel got yelled at by some mighty man guard when he got too near.

Definitely voting to be a robot for ruth or the stunned parent that lost a kid but hasn't let it sink in yet.

Oh yeah if enkidel survives long enough to be stuck in ur for fear of demonic armies flesh carting him the moment he steps outside of ur, under the cover of pilgrimage I want to bring the gebs and every thin blue blooded person or at least the usual teenager and old people to Baitel so we can use some el cred to ask to make a new covenant for the people destined to poof into nothing. Hopefully the future quest to map out the river up lake acco will be completed by then and everyone can just boat their way untill they reach the outskirts of Baitel.

Hopefully boat tech has advanced to the point the caravan can carry them on land. Plus this helps Enkidel get used to leading caravans of mostly unblooded people. He's going to need it.

An expedition to sail up the river and map it to the source actually sounds like a super good adventure idea, if it hooks up through Ur then awesome, new trade routes and maybe faster travel to other Ur destinations. If it goes outside Ur.... actually that might cause trouble if it goes south into Certain Doom territory, but hey no way to know until we actually try.

I strongly doubt it goes to Baitel seeing as we walked the entire width of Ur east to west and never had to cross it so it never comes north of the path we took, but it might meander through southern Ur, maybe even to the Great City of Plants and Horticulture that was mentioned when we were deciding on Grasslands routes?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 17, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Boat tech is already where we can carry it. We did that to skip the bend one time iirc. Just blooded rowing fast as poo poo then carried it on our shoulders and ran. It was pretty dope but I can't remember why we were doing it. Maybe with OC?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Either way, we proved Mighty Marines are a viable unit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TK-42-1 posted:

Boat tech is already where we can carry it. We did that to skip the bend one time iirc. Just blooded rowing fast as poo poo then carried it on our shoulders and ran. It was pretty dope but I can't remember why we were doing it. Maybe with OC?

Portaging was quite common in the ancient world, even with relatively large ships. There's evidence that proto-vikings from Scandinavia sailed and portaged their way through Germany into the Black Sea way back in Roman times or even before. Imagine what you could do with a crew of giant muscle wizards!

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

Bringing the Norc captives back

Although that was the same trip so probably OC too ya

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am hoping we will update tonight. But this is not a promise.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zurai posted:

Portaging was quite common in the ancient world, even with relatively large ships. There's evidence that proto-vikings from Scandinavia sailed and portaged their way through Germany into the Black Sea way back in Roman times or even before. Imagine what you could do with a crew of giant muscle wizards!

Portaged to the black sea? loving hell.

Australian explorers dragged boats a surprising distance inland so they could explore the Australian Interior Sea.

The sea was a stupid rumour and most of them died horrible deaths in the dry parched desert.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Outrail posted:

Australian explorers dragged boats a surprising distance inland so they could explore the Australian Interior Sea.

The sea was a stupid rumour and most of them died horrible deaths in the dry parched desert.

Lmao were these Englishmen? Because lol at the aborigines (is this still kosher? i’m not up to date on what we’re supposed to call native aussies) telling them ‘oi yeh sure m8 there’s totes water in dere. jus keep wolkin ay?’

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

e: quote is not edit

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Well it's not like they walked all the way, but they portaged between the various rivers in Germany apparently, and with trade goods. Scandinavian goods have been found as grave goods in ancient Egypt. Those dudes really got around.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I just want boats that allows for even the unblooded and gebs to be able to carry them as they run away from the apocalypse but the idea of kavodel vikings using the boats and rivers to adventure around ur and maybe beyond sounds good.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Zurai posted:

Well it's not like they walked all the way, but they portaged between the various rivers in Germany apparently, and with trade goods. Scandinavian goods have been found as grave goods in ancient Egypt. Those dudes really got around.

They've also looked at Viking grave goods and found Arabic stuff

Also those Egyptian lions in Constantinople with runes carved into their assess

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I think it’s either ‘Indigenous Australian’ or ‘Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander(s)’ as a blanket term and going down to their tribe name if you’re talking about a specific person/group

I guess you could just call them Aussies but I doubt they want to be associated with the fuckwits running the show over there rn

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

You know boat tech might not be a bad idea. Ur doesn't have them, Fare has some but all we've seen are barges and we will eventually need something for battles on Asherah turf. Plus if horses are unworkable in UR boats can offer the fast movement we've been searching for.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Zurai posted:

I believe the main route was that you could sail up the Vistula from the North Sea at Gdansk, and then portage a relatively short distance to another river that connected to the Black Sea.

That's Poland and Ukraine, though, not Germany.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I highly recommend reading The Rise and Fall of DODO. A Viking Guard from Byzantium features as a major character.

The book is also quite funny while being historically very nerdy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SniperWoreConverse posted:

ENKIDEL WAS HERE scratched into the Iron Horse of Kadmonim-Khasis

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I believe the main route was that you could sail up the Vistula from the North Sea at Gdansk, and then portage a relatively short distance to another river that connected to the Black Sea.

That's Poland and Ukraine, though, not Germany.

Ah, yeah, last I'd heard the speculation was Germany via the Danube, but that makes sense too as the Danube is relatively isolated from major N/S oriented rivers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnKrV0aDjo

We should experiment with different arrowhead designs when we get back.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Ok so here's an idea. Big, wide-rear end rowboats that can be crewed by one or two Semi-Mighty sorts and a bunch of strong normies. Lots of 'em. Sturdy construction, thin layer of Enkidel's Patented Mass-Produced Barely Blooded Bronze coating the hull.

Kavodel gets word of an attack or raid, and a squad of the Balls portages their way across Ur until they find this small army of baddies. The Two Mighty-ish Balls carry the boat as a shield/battering ram as the normal Balls follow behind. Impact and scatter the front ranks with the Blooded Bronze Boatshield, then hurl the drat thing into the bulk of the massed enemy while making a bowling pun. Proceed to engage traditional Ball vs Not-Ball combat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
right now we use the once consort goo to waterproof boats I think.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Blasphemaster posted:

bunch of strong normies.

Please watch yourself. You're scaring away all the voters

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Using boats as projectile weapons seems like a very good way to break the very rare and expensive boats.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Not a giant issue though, any raid we hear about would be weeks old when we heard about it, and weeks older when the men on boats get to whereever it was reported to be. Planning to use the boats like projectiles would only backfire if we ever actually encountered a raid so incredibly stupid as to park on top of the town for a literal month, which isn't really a raid at that point, it's more a 'we already sacked and razed the city, I guess you can add us to the ashes' thing.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

River patrols around the Jubilee seem like a good idea, using boats as weapons seems dumb when we have guys that can sling Fragmentation Boulders at hypersonic velocities

e: What we really need to research figure out is something to help deal with the range of Fare siege units

Victis fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 18, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

That’s the problem with a lot of tech in Ur. We have these literal demigod humans that can do everything better just innately. Our main focus should be on advance warning since the issue isn’t really getting outclassed technology wise so much as not having assets in the right place at the right time. Tent demons are obviously very powerful. Enough that their presence has to be masked as they move through Ur. One took out Ahaz to the point he had to nuke.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

That’s the problem with a lot of tech in Ur. We have these literal demigod humans that can do everything better just innately. Our main focus should be on advance warning since the issue isn’t really getting outclassed technology wise so much as not having assets in the right place at the right time. Tent demons are obviously very powerful. Enough that their presence has to be masked as they move through Ur. One took out Ahaz to the point he had to nuke.

I agree with the exception of the trebs; iirc that's the only mundane technology (besides firearms) we've seen that gives grunts something that exceeds MM combat capabilities

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

There's a definite argument to be made for "good enough" technology, like a slingapult can't throw a rock as quickly or accurately as a Mighty Man, but they can throw rocks good enough that a battery of them can take over rock throwing duty and free up a Mighty Man to do something we don't have a machine for yet.

But yeah, information is by far the most useful weapon we have, and mainly because it allows our second best weapon (Mighty Men) to deploy more efficiently.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Victis posted:

e: What we really need to research figure out is something to help deal with the range of Fare siege units

Diogines posted:

On the top of a roof, you cup your hands on your mouth and shout as loud as you can "DEMON! I AM HERE! FACE ME WEST BEYOND THE CITY! COME AND GET ME!" Gebek looks directly towards you and ROARS in rage and does not stop his climb, it is only a moment later he is in the air again as he jumps towards you!

You are pretty sure that you saw that BEFORE you heard and felt a voice shout...

VAYOMER ASURAH NA!

A tremendous explosion of flame smashes into the side of Gebek, sending him towards the east! You think that voice was Tudiya's and you sure as El FELT it but you saw the explosion before you heard it. It looks like there may have been a large stone block in the middle of it, or the remains of one melting from tremendous speed anyway? Whatever the case...

Gebek soars to the east with great speed! Also on fire!

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

Boat projectile is bad because its doing things boats aren't good at which is projectiles unless we work on it and come up with a good boat plan with Enkidel's god brain.

Ideally the tower network will eventually be developed to the point most of south western ur that isn't demonic land or disputed wilderness will be fortified zepathan aligned cities with towers everywhere. Boats will play a key part in rushing people to and from hot spots with the tower network managing to send complex signals to these cities who can then make the call of what and how many to send.

In summary boat tech is merely one avenue that allows for faster concentration of force but better towers will be needed.

Also control over inner ur rivers will definitely hinder asherah and fare as they gobble ur.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
are there that many inner ur rivers?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Unless we develop tools or powers as a society to fight things underwater we don’t actually have control over the waterway should Asherah seek to contest us there.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

are there that many inner ur rivers?

I think most cities are either next to or straddling rivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I mean, the walls had already been brought down when we arrived to relieve the siege and that's with Danal plus Esher et al. there from the start. At Ibleam the whole place got set on fire from a safe range with Ahaz and his retinue there.

Sure Tuds can deal with 99% of threats but he can't be everywhere.

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 18, 2019