Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

canyoneer posted:

Context is the OP had to give away her pibble because she had to move and can't take it to the new apartment.
Paying for lender provided insurance because i love my murderdog

...why wouldn’t you just lie and say it’s a “lab mix” like everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

brugroffil posted:

there's decent population growth in Cali still so it's weird seeing the repeated claims of "everyone is leaving the state!"

isn't this kinda what's happening in lots of cities where tech companies open offices and housing prices start to skyrocket?

Their migration numbers still show more people leaving than arriving. Also I think a lot of the sentiment is in places where a.lot of them move to, where our housing prices are being driven up by people who sold homes 8n the bay area, and we have to deal with people with California plates on their cars bitching about the weather and immediately getting into an accident the first time they experience moisture on the road.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Weatherman posted:

Australia is one such planet, but I guess that just proves it can't be done in Freedomland because everything is just so different over there. Exceptional, one might say.

I'm pretty sure that Australia does not have legislation establishing an investment vehicle in section 401(k) of the federal Internal Revenue Code, actually.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Adjusted for cost of living California has the highest poverty rate in the country. Higher than Alabama or Missisipi lol

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

feedmegin posted:

I'm pretty sure that Australia does not have legislation establishing an investment vehicle in section 401(k) of the federal Internal Revenue Code, actually.

It's pronounced "superannuation"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

brugroffil posted:

there's decent population growth in Cali still so it's weird seeing the repeated claims of "everyone is leaving the state!"

isn't this kinda what's happening in lots of cities where tech companies open offices and housing prices start to skyrocket?

Yes, yes it is.

I’m not saying everyone is leaving the state, I’m saying there’s a ton of people leaving the state to other places with similar job markets and lower costs of living, including where I live. California has about 750% the population of Colorado, a tiny amount of emigration for them is a huge amount of immigration for us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Adjusted for cost of living California has the highest poverty rate in the country. Higher than Alabama or Missisipi lol

i don't think this is totally accurate since a state-level COLA is not very accurate for a lot of California

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Bad with money, get your bad with money here!

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK, June 18 (Reuters) - Facebook Inc ( FB ) revealed plans on Tuesday to launch a cryptocurrency called Libra, the latest development in its effort to expand beyond social networking and move into e-commerce and global payments.

https://www.fidelity.com/news/article/top-news/201906180500RTRSNEWSCOMBINED_L8N23O1GU_1

"Freedom, justice and money, which is exactly what we're trying to do here," he said.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simpsons Reference posted:

Bad with money, get your bad with money here!

https://www.fidelity.com/news/article/top-news/201906180500RTRSNEWSCOMBINED_L8N23O1GU_1

"Freedom, justice and money, which is exactly what we're trying to do here," he said.

This is an NSA project to get idiots to buy drugs and weapons on Facebook using their actual identities right

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It's purportedly a way to make cheaper international payments, but if it's not a stablecoin I don't understand what's the point. No, I'm not reading the whitepaper, thanks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Correct if I'm wrong, but wouldn't people converting USD -> Libra -> USD deal with the same poo poo people went through who trade a bunch of crypto? Whole bunch of folks about to get a learning in investment tax law and cost basis.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Their migration numbers still show more people leaving than arriving. Also I think a lot of the sentiment is in places where a.lot of them move to, where our housing prices are being driven up by people who sold homes 8n the bay area, and we have to deal with people with California plates on their cars bitching about the weather and immediately getting into an accident the first time they experience moisture on the road.

california being a victim of its own success and absolutely unaffordable for a large number of people is the only reason for migration outward. people who leave the state don't want to leave the state, they just can't afford to stay

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the old reverse hotel california

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Shipon posted:

california being a victim of its own success and absolutely unaffordable for a large number of people is the only reason for migration outward. people who leave the state don't want to leave the state, they just can't afford to stay

Ok but

OctaviusBeaver posted:

please tell me what makes this a success?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's like arguing the ticket and concession prices at Disneyland are too high for most Americans to be able to afford a trip, so a big chunk of the people who get inside, or have already been inside for a long time, are technically too broke to afford to be there. It means people are being priced out based on demand. It's not good for your average Joe, but it's good for Disneyland as long as the demand is there. People in Alabama and Mississippi on the other hand are broke because those states are the nations septic tanks. There isn't any demand. All that's left are people who couldn't get out and are stuck there.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 18, 2019

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
People who get priced out of the Bay Area/LA do not move to Yreka. Maybe if Bay Area/LA wealth spread into the rest of CA instead of other states the poverty numbers wouldn’t be so bad.

I wish Californians would stay in their state and not come to mine.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

zelah posted:

People who get priced out of the Bay Area/LA do not move to Yreka. Maybe if Bay Area/LA wealth spread into the rest of CA instead of other states the poverty numbers wouldn’t be so bad.

I wish Californians would stay in their state and not come to mine.

Rich people don’t want to pay Cali state taxes.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's purportedly a way to make cheaper international payments, but if it's not a stablecoin I don't understand what's the point. No, I'm not reading the whitepaper, thanks.

It's probably just an attempt to mimic Asian successes like WeChat's transfer, which has pretty much replaced all other traditional payments, also commercial, in China. Having not read the whitepaper, I'm confident in saying it's not a cryptocurrency in any meaningful interpretation of the word.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

colachute posted:

Rich people don’t want to pay Cali state taxes.

What are the demographics of the immigrants? Illinois actually has a negative population growth rate, but it's generally people in the lower end of the income scale leaving, not the well-off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That explains why Wyoming, with its zero state income tax, has had an influx of tens of thousands of coastal millionaires :rolleyes:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That explains why Wyoming, with its zero state income tax, has had an influx of tens of thousands of coastal millionaires :rolleyes:

Give it time

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I forgot Wyoming is the only state without state income tax.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

colachute posted:

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington also.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

colachute posted:

Bubblin crude. Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I was being sarcastic.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:actually:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
iirc there's been a decent amount of research that's found migration is overwhelmingly driven by job prospects and that for the wealthy, state tax rate is a minor concern at best. like Illinois is losing people to the point we have a negative pop growth rate, but it's mainly lower and middle income people leaving.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

California’s housing prices are entirely an unforced error and if they could get their act together with regards to 70s or 80s levels of homebuilding, you wouldn’t see nearly as many people leaving the state.

Dingbats in LA were the last form of housing that was cheap enough to be affordable when they were built, but then they changed the zoning to ban them in the single family neighborhoods where they could be built cheaply.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It may be difficult to imagine but people who have money are able to afford to pay more money, whether in taxes or rent, to live in places they desire, instead of loving Cheyenne.

(Nothing against Cheyenne because I haven't been there except that I imagine it's probably boring as gently caress and I would never want to live there.)

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 19, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

It may be difficult to imagine but people who have money are able to afford to pay more money, whether in taxes or rent, to live in places they desire, instead of loving Cheyenne.

(Nothing except Cheyenne because I haven't been there except that I imagine it's probably boring as gently caress and I would never want to live there.)

At the same time, making your money in California and then loving off to play cowboy in Jackson, WY is so popular that there are some massive houses there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

totalnewbie posted:

(Nothing except Cheyenne because I haven't been there except that I imagine it's probably boring as gently caress and I would never want to live there.)

if you're that wealthy that state taxes might impact your decision on where to live, you probably have a house in Wyoming already if you like such things

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

If I could work 100% remote, I would live in a shack in the woods, except I wouldn't waste my time making pipe bombs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

crazypeltast52 posted:

At the same time, making your money in California and then loving off to play cowboy in Jackson, WY is so popular that there are some massive houses there.

The private jet flight time between Pali Alto and Jackson was a plot point / recurring gag on HBO’s Silicon Valley.

Just saying.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

crazypeltast52 posted:

Dingbats in LA were the last form of housing that was cheap enough to be affordable when they were built, but then they changed the zoning to ban them in the single family neighborhoods where they could be built cheaply.

I never knew what these were called thank you!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're that wealthy that state taxes might impact your decision on where to live, you probably have a house in Wyoming already if you like such things

My man have you heard of a little tax haven I like to call Puerto Rico?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

brugroffil posted:

iirc there's been a decent amount of research that's found migration is overwhelmingly driven by job prospects and that for the wealthy, state tax rate is a minor concern at best. like Illinois is losing people to the point we have a negative pop growth rate, but it's mainly lower and middle income people leaving.

I thought I had read the same thing, so I had to track it down:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/nov/20/if-you-tax-the-rich-they-wont-leave-us-data-contradicts-millionaires-threats

Article opens with a shot at Atlas Shrugged, so you know it's going places.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Simpsons Reference posted:

If I could work 100% remote, I would live in a shack in the woods, except I wouldn't waste my time making pipe bombs.
What's your stance on manifestos?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

If California can have the 5th largest economy in the world and succeed, it's more difficult to discount their policies.

I don’t know, it could be argued that the fact that California has such a huge economy makes whatever government policy the state implements not really matter a whole lot.

It could also be argued that a lot of California’s success has/had little to do with the state government, and more to do with history and natural advantages. California is playing Oregon Trail as a doctor while Mississippi is playing as a teacher.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

What's your stance on manifestos?

I post on a forum that charges $9.99 for access, what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

totalnewbie posted:

It's cool to visit, but I'd get cabin fever living there. It's the sort of place that if you decide to drive out of town anywhere, you better fill up your gas tank because you'll need it to get to the next gas station.