Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Are you denying that graphic novels are a great idea?

Not an idea those guys came up with. Slapping a stupid name on an existing product isn't innovative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1140992651728211968

I hope beyond all reason this is true.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 18, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I also think it's just such a... weird sort of half-thought out adaptation from another medium.

Comics can and should obviously be any length the creators want them to be to tell the best story, whether it's half a page gag strips or a 600 page brick.

What's weird about TKO is that they're taking something that seems pretty clearly written as six issue 22 page serialized stories and just declaring them BINGEABLE by putting six single issues (as single issues) out all at once. And also putting the trade out at almost the same time. It's an incredibly strange marketing thing, which I admit doesn't affect the enjoyment of the reader who just wants to buy a physical/digital trade and then read it.

But it's still weird. I guess you could argue serialized comics are weird in general but there are plenty of people (Ennis is definitely one of them) who is really good at pacing for a monthly comic with frequent chapter breaks, but they're thrown in there artificially.

At least with Netflix they seen to exhibit a fair bit of flexibility with the number of episodes/length of episodes on their Bingeable Serialized Television Programs, TKO is just announcing literally the same format everyone else seems to use, but holding them all back until the trade.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1140992651728211968

I've never hope beyond all reason this is true.

THere's a post on KF that mentions it.

The trademark is owned, active, and has not been successfully challenged:

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85812360&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

EDIT: Whoops my bad.. that website is a bit weird.

also valid link: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=4072281

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 18, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

That link went to a different Beard Trademark, which was some grooming company in Texas unrelated to Duck Dynasty and I don't have time to cross reference all of the files but it was opposed in court, presumably by the Duck Dynasty folks and abandoned/rejected.

This is the link to the live Fear the Beard trademark.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daily Beast published a long expose on Max Landis. Content warning: there's a lot of descriptions of rape and abuse.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

SoftNum posted:

THere's a post on KF that mentions it.

The trademark is owned, active, and has not been successfully challenged:

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85812360&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

EDIT: Whoops my bad.. that website is a bit weird.

also valid link: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=4072281

lol you would think a lawyer would look into this first.

https://twitter.com/dagger0621/status/1141000859507023874

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Daily Beast published a long expose on Max Landis. Content warning: there's a lot of descriptions of rape and abuse.

I mean we always knew he was a piece of poo poo, but this right here proves he was a sociopathic monster.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

X-O posted:

I mean we always knew he was a piece of poo poo, but this right here proves he was a sociopathic monster.
His father is a noted child murderer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well yes, when you learn early that bad actions have no consequences it fucks you up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FMguru posted:

His father is a noted child murderer.

On the one hand, that's blatantly hyperbole. John Landis violated California law to have the kids on the set after nightfall, but wasn't otherwise responsible for the accident.

On the other, claiming exploitation instead of direct involvement doesn't feel like that much of an ethical upgrade, and it's creepy as hell that Landis effectively just went right back to work afterwards.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

X-O posted:

To be honest I'm surprised that they were all over 18. He always had that kind of pedo vibe about him.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
On the plus side literally no one likes Landis, so there is unlikely to be any kind of StandWithMax campaign or Hardwick type week long time-out then all is ignored/forgiven.

I really liked Dirk Gentley and will never watch it again.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
He did go on Half in the Bag, so I wonder if the RLM guys are going to scrap his videos like Game Grumps did with Projared.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.

Anora posted:

He did go on Half in the Bag, so I wonder if the RLM guys are going to scrap his videos like Game Grumps did with Projared.

Those videos were always so hard to watch. Max guffaws like a doofus through nearly every movie they watch for "Best of the Worst."

Then Mike and Jay proceed to eviscerate "American Ultra," the next week.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Anora posted:

RLM's biggest character was a rapist and they whined about feminism in Captain Marvel so I doubt it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ItWasMoida posted:

Those videos were always so hard to watch.
Yeah, RLM is garbage

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Piell posted:

RLM's biggest character was a rapist and they whined about feminism in Captain Marvel so I doubt it.

Ugh. That's gross.

And people take them as experts on Star Wars?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Covok posted:

Ugh. That's gross.

Their longer-than-the-actual-movies complaint-a-thons about the prequels, which are heavily interleavened with a "wacky" "joke" subplot about how the reviewer character has a sex worker trapped in their basement, seem to be the definitive crystallization of people's angst over those mediocre films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey guys I heard Max Landis is-

Oh, we're complaining about Red Letter Media again, huh?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does Landis try to go super quiet and hope it blows over again this time? Does he finally just get blackballed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone reviewed the "Anti-Cheese Cut" of Endgame. It's as bad as expected. (Spoilers abound.)

https://twitter.com/willnevin/status/1141027192719183877?s=21

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Covok posted:

Ugh. That's gross.

To be fair that isn’t true. They aren’t exactly woke but they aren’t really chuds.

They also haven’t done that character thing since the original reviews like 8 years ago. And him being a rapist is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Landis being a rapists tho.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 19, 2019

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

And him being a rapist is a bit of a stretch.

It absolutely isn't. He literally keeps a woman chained up in his basement begging to be let go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AzureFlame posted:

It absolutely isn't. He literally keeps a woman chained up in his basement begging to be let go.

That’s.....not what rape is. They absolutely allude to him being a serial killer though

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

He does gently caress his cat.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s.....not what rape is. They absolutely allude to him being a serial killer though

Ah yes. "Kidnapper and murderer of sex workers" makes the joke much funnier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

gently caress, this is some gross poo poo. I wonder if they'll pull American Alien over this. Hopefully, this takes this guy down and stops him from abusing his position to harm people.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
RLM does do a lot of that handwringing over "forced diversity" that technically isn't chudism but is borderline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
loving burned.

https://twitter.com/rpace/status/1140714734347534336

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is that from Dickie's magnum opus?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've never taken an art class past high school, maybe middle school. What does "tangent" mean in those examples?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IUG posted:

I've never taken an art class past high school, maybe middle school. What does "tangent" mean in those examples?

From a definition - "A tangent is when two or more lines interact in a way that creates a relationship between them that the artist did not intend."

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

IUG posted:

Handily explained right here: https://schweizercomics.tumblr.com/post/11966164633/the-schweizer-guide-to-spotting-tangents

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought the lazy-rear end background is the bigger problem to be honest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/PaulAllor/status/1141167292102971392?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paul seems like an okay dude, but he is absolutely going to run into the chuds who went into a tizzy over Sitterson.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Social justice warlock sounds cool

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I suppose they were either going for "Demon Wizard" or, if we are really being generous, the original word that means "oathbreaker" or traitor basically.

Still sounds fuckin' badass tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Unlucky7 posted:

I suppose they were either going for "Demon Wizard" or, if we are really being generous, the original word that means "oathbreaker" or traitor basically.

Still sounds fuckin' badass tho.

Probably just autocorrect for "social justice warrior"