Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah but "what rooms have treasure" and "what type of monsters are in which room" is impossible not to notice. Especially since to lay out the map you often have to squint pretty hard at the tiles to orient them correctly. When you're going "wait which way around is this hexagonal tile supposed to be" you can't help but see that it has (e.g.) two hounds, three or four bandit guards and/or archers (they look similar), and one treasure tile. Except we're playing with three players so slightly fewer monsters. So you're right that we don't know exact numbers and precise placement, but to write in the faq "you're not supposed to know ANY of that poo poo" seems insane.

I do this all the time. Maybe it's just me but I have no problem avoiding seeing things other than the map tile shapes and where they go. I might see some other stuff in the process but it's not hard for me to forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah but "what rooms have treasure" and "what type of monsters are in which room" is impossible not to notice. Especially since to lay out the map you often have to squint pretty hard at the tiles to orient them correctly. When you're going "wait which way around is this hexagonal tile supposed to be" you can't help but see that it has (e.g.) two hounds, three or four bandit guards and/or archers (they look similar), and one treasure tile. Except we're playing with three players so slightly fewer monsters. So you're right that we don't know exact numbers and precise placement, but to write in the faq "you're not supposed to know ANY of that poo poo" seems insane.

No, I can tell you from experience that it is not at all impossible not to notice. In fact, it's very easy not to notice -- especially treasure when like 2/3 of the tiles in the game have an orange or yellow background and the treasure overlay icon is yellow/brown. I've actually had to go hunting for where the treasure chest is supposed to be more than once because it blends in pretty well.

Regardless, all you need to see to set the table up ahead of the game is which tiles you need -- which is listed away from the map -- and the orientation of those tiles -- which I at least can usually tell with a pretty quick glance by taking note of where the light sources are on each tile. I'm focused on the appearance of the tile itself, so the extraneous useless bits (which monsters and overlay tiles are where) don't register to me because they have zero relevance to what I'm doing.

What little monster/overlay placement stuff I do see I just decline to save into my short term memory. It isn't even that I actively choose to forget it, I just don't pay any attention to it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I might see some other stuff in the process but it's not hard for me to forget.

Zurai posted:

What little monster/overlay placement stuff I do see I just decline to save into my short term memory.

Am I the crazy one? Does everyone else but me have this seemingly magical ability to voluntarily shut off parts of their brain? I literally can't do this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DontMockMySmock posted:

Am I the crazy one? Does everyone else but me have this seemingly magical ability to voluntarily shut off parts of their brain? I literally can't do this.
Yeah, I don't find it hard at all.

There's a Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer app which does it for you, if you aren't able to.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

To be fair I do have ADHD so it's pretty easy to not pay attention to something, but what you describe where you look at a map for a short time and can remember the contents with high precision an hour later is literally the actual definition of eidetic/photographic memory.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We set up all the furniture in all the rooms for ease of play and then set the monsters aside and place when the room is opened. It's just faster.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'm at least in the same camp as you. Maybe either us or the other people have some kind of learned skill that would explain this? I see you over in SAL a decent amount, so maybe us both being academics means something? I'm just making up random hypotheses though. Like, I can go so far as to not try to pay attention to how many monsters there are in a room for a given player-count, but I can't help but notice/memorize "this room has a poo poo-ton of rending drakes, lots of coins, at least 3 traps and a treasure chest" ; doing otherwise would be like trying to forget the number 7. We set up the rooms with the overlay tiles and stuff and then just try our best to forget where the monsters are (beer helps).

(Also sorry to the person I called crazy last time this came up. I didn't mean anything insulting by it and was just trying to emphasize how differently our brains work. Meant to apologize earlier but then I got busy and it's been a while so I forgot who it even was.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

To be fair I do have ADHD so it's pretty easy to not pay attention to something, but what you describe where you look at a map for a short time and can remember the contents with high precision an hour later is literally the actual definition of eidetic/photographic memory.

Being able to remember which of 4-5 very distinct rooms has a chest in it is not a massive feat of memory.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DontMockMySmock posted:

You're not crazy and you can play the game however you want :)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
gloomhaven, the game where you don't think of an elephant

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

Being able to remember which of 4-5 very distinct rooms has a chest in it is not a massive feat of memory.

Good thing I didn't claim it is then!

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 19, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

gloomhaven, the game where you don't think of an elephant

so that elephant, is it going fast fast, or like, cragheart fast?

PS: Played Gloomhaven today. Scenario 72 scenario 72.......yep

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

so that elephant, is it going fast fast, or like, cragheart fast?

PS: Played Gloomhaven today. Scenario 72 scenario 72.......yep

Yep

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
:siren: Use Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer App! Covers up what's on the tiles but shows where they go. Tap to reveal when opening a door.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

:siren: Use Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer App! Covers up what's on the tiles but shows where they go. Tap to reveal when opening a door.

Seconded, it's dope and avoids issues of trying to cover up the scenario book but keep it available.

I think it must be a cognitive thing though. I can definitely ignore all nonpertinent information when laying out the map tiles. I can also ignore a pair of old socks on my living room floor while I step over them 20 times.

On another note, I really hate the idea of the solo scenarios. It seems really bizarre to me to show up to your group gaming experience and be like oh btw everyone i learned how to power up to SSJ Brute while you guys were living life. See ya losers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

So you're right that we don't know exact numbers and precise placement, but to write in the faq "you're not supposed to know ANY of that poo poo" seems insane.

From yesterday but: I don't think the FAQ is saying anything nearly that definitive or intense. Paraphrased it basically says "the design intent is that other rooms are secret but we know all the info is out there so uhhh try not to look too hard".

It then goes on to say "examining things will make it easier" but even then "examine" to me seems to imply that you would be looking at the whole map with your team and forming strategies rather than, again, one guy knowing that frost demons are probably in the third room. And discussing the difficulty seems like an invitation to increase the challenge level if you feel like things have been getting too easy since you know what's coming.

I do think there are a few scenarios that benefit from not knowing that e.g. the treasure chest is in the right path so just ignore the left, but those are few and far between and this usually doesn't come into play when most of the goals are "kill all monsters" anyway. I guess if there's a scenario with a totally empty side room that you instantly know doesn't need to be opened. One of your examples only works because the goal is "kill revealed monsters" and even then you don't have a ton of personal control over other events happening.

If you feel like those handful of scenarios are ruined by foreknowledge, this is great advice:

KingKapalone posted:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

um

equipment carries over/refreshes from scenario to scenario? it's not consumable?

gently caress me, im gonna start this campaign over. got too much wrong :D

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

boar guy posted:

um

equipment carries over/refreshes from scenario to scenario? it's not consumable?

Holy crap! Yeah, you don't get nearly enough money to have to buy potions every single time, that would be obscene, and you'd never get enough money to buy higher costed items/enhancements.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

boar guy posted:

um

Pre-emptive: Those modifier cards in the character envelope are not your starting modifier deck.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

WhiteHowler posted:

Pre-emptive: Those modifier cards in the character envelope are not your starting modifier deck.

the turn or so of the first scenario where we didn't realise this was a wild ride

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

boar guy posted:

um

I'd take this opportunity to discard assumptions and re-read the entire rulebook, even those things you are sure you know. :)

Also Google for "Gloomhaven common mistakes" and check the Reddit/BGG threads that come up.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

I'd take this opportunity to discard assumptions and re-read the entire rulebook, even those things you are sure you know. :)

Also Google for "Gloomhaven common mistakes" and check the Reddit/BGG threads that come up.

we've played a lot. like...30 or forty runs a lot

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

boar guy posted:

we've played a lot. like...30 or forty runs a lot
Holy fucksticks

That's more than us. But I am an obsessive nerd and also watch livestreams and videos so....

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We unlocked Prosperity 5 tonight.

There's some good poo poo there.

Me, Sun class I have the boots of striding, but the upgraded ones look pretty tasty. I've also got my eyes on that Ring of Haste, but two of the other party members are Two Minis and Angry Face, and they probably need it more than I do for a freebie Defensive Stance play. Maybe. :)

Not tempted by the Helm at all. The Iron Helm is fantastic for a tank like me; it's the best insurance policy I could ask for.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick noob questions:

1) A city event says to "lose 1 tick mark". It's not "1 each" so I assume one character has to lose it, right? We have 2 characters who have free tick marks (i.e. not already turned into perks), and two who don't. Can we assign this to a character with no free tick marks so they tank the card for no effect, or does it have to go onto a character who can actually suffer the loss?

2) Spellweaver's "Crackling Air" buffs 4 attacks: if I cast Impaling Eruptions targeting several enemies on its path, do I move one CA space for the whole thing and buff against all the IE targets, or do I move one CA space for each enemy IE targets?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pierzak posted:

Quick noob questions:

1) A city event says to "lose 1 tick mark". It's not "1 each" so I assume one character has to lose it, right? We have 2 characters who have free tick marks (i.e. not already turned into perks), and two who don't. Can we assign this to a character with no free tick marks so they tank the card for no effect, or does it have to go onto a character who can actually suffer the loss?

Check the FAQ, you probably all have to close a check mark if you are able to.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Check the FAQ, you probably all have to close a check mark if you are able to.
Oh right, I missed that, thanks. The card's not mentioned by number (it was the pie-eating contest, #12), so I'll just go with the "if the word is missing, assume it's 'each'" guideline.

ed: and speaking of the FAQ, are revisions the same as printings? I have the "second printing", is that R2 or just another batch of R1 as far as the FAQ is concerned?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 21, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, same thing I think.

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(

Pierzak posted:

Quick noob questions:

2) Spellweaver's "Crackling Air" buffs 4 attacks: if I cast Impaling Eruptions targeting several enemies on its path, do I move one CA space for the whole thing and buff against all the IE targets, or do I move one CA space for each enemy IE targets?

Each target for IE(or any multi-target ability) is a separate attack. Move it up for each attack.

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(
double post :P

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Note that if Crackling Air said "attack abilities" or "attack actions" instead of just "attacks" then you would only count it up once for all of Impaling Eruptions, so you always need to pay close attention to how abilities like that are worded.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Note that if Crackling Air said "attack abilities" or "attack actions" instead of just "attacks" then you would only count it up once for all of Impaling Eruptions, so you always need to pay close attention to how abilities like that are worded.

I noticed it, but I wasn't sure if it's considered several attacks (as per several separate modifier card flips), or just one attack with multiple targets. Thanks for the clarification.

CBN_Shaggy posted:

(or any multi-target ability)
I assume it works the same way for red hex-type area abilities, i.e. it's a separate attack for each enemy under the hexed area?

Next question:
Abilities with "Target X" icon have to be divided between different targets and if there are fewer targets in range than there are X, the excess attacks are wasted UNLESS a card specifically says otherwise, e.g. one of the Living Boners' cards can make them target one single enemy several times? Or am I reading that wrong too and it just means that all the boners have to focus on the same character[s] the first one did?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pierzak posted:

I assume it works the same way for red hex-type area abilities, i.e. it's a separate attack for each enemy under the hexed area?
Yup; each one has a separate card draw, so each one is a separate attack. It's one attack action, with multiple attacks.

quote:

Abilities with "Target X" icon have to be divided between different targets and if there are fewer targets in range than there are X, the excess attacks are wasted UNLESS a card specifically says otherwise, e.g. one of the Living Boners' cards can make them target one single enemy several times? Or am I reading that wrong too and it just means that all the boners have to focus on the same character[s] the first one did?
You are correct on Target X, generally. One attack per target. The Living Bones just have one card that's an exception, where they multiattack one (unlucky, unless you've got retaliate up) enemy.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Should players have knowledge of what lies in each room before the scenario starts? Obviously someone has to know to set the thing up; it makes sense that if one player knows all players know.
2. If no enemies are spawned/available, do summons still move? Similar question for monsters that can't access the players anymore.
2a. If a monster can't target a player with an attack and its card specifies that it takes damage in a separate line than the attack, does it still take damage?
3. If a player inflicts wound on a monster, and the wound damage kills the monster, does the player still get kill credit?
3a. Let's say that player A gives player B the ability to inflict wounds on monsters, and a monster dies from wound damage as a result of a wound given by player B imbued by player A. Does player A get kill credit?
4. Does a character take all of its owned items into a solo scenario, or are those expected to be done naked?
5. Is there a 'path' to beating the main campaign? I feel like we are kind of floundering around.
6. Does money cause a space to be occupied?
6a. If not, what happens to money that is on a space that an obstacle is then placed upon?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

1. Should players have knowledge of what lies in each room before the scenario starts? Obviously someone has to know to set the thing up; it makes sense that if one player knows all players know.

The person setting it up should do so with their eyes closed. Scroll back a page or so in the thread for a more detailed discussion.

quote:

2. If no enemies are spawned/available, do summons still move? Similar question for monsters that can't access the players anymore.

They have an opportunity to move, but they can't find a focus so no hex is better than any other for them so they don't go anywhere.

quote:

2a. If a monster can't target a player with an attack and its card specifies that it takes damage in a separate line than the attack, does it still take damage?

Technically I think this would depend on how the card is formatted, but all the examples I've seen take damage as a separate ability so it will happen whether the attack happens or not.

quote:

3. If a player inflicts wound on a monster, and the wound damage kills the monster, does the player still get kill credit?

In the base rules no-one gets kill credit for wounds. Some groups house-rule this, though.

quote:

4. Does a character take all of its owned items into a solo scenario, or are those expected to be done naked?

Unless the scenario specifies otherwise it's just like any other scenario, you have everything available.

quote:

5. Is there a 'path' to beating the main campaign? I feel like we are kind of floundering around.

There's probably an optimal path, but you're not expected to follow it. Floundering around is working as intended.

quote:

No, but it prevents the space from being "empty".

quote:

6a. If not, what happens to money that is on a space that an obstacle is then placed upon?

It stays there, and can still be looted with a ranged loot action or if the obstacle is moved/destroyed.

The official FAQ can answer a lot of questions like these, but it's pretty dense: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1897763/official-faq-game-no-rules-questions-please

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 21, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

3a. Let's say that player A gives player B the ability to inflict wounds on monsters, and a monster dies from wound damage as a result of a wound given by player B imbued by player A. Does player A get kill credit?

1. We actually just had a big discussion about this but the intent is that you're not supposed to know. The official FAQ basically says "try not to look" but if you're concerned about obeying to the letter you can use Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer App to show only what you need when you need it.
2. Neither will move, they need to have a valid target to attack with their current attack and infinite movement. For this reason standing in a door and going invisible is a popular room entering technique.
2a. Yes, it does everything it can on its card. Note that if it is stunned before it's turn it doesn't.
3. Wound kills don't grant credit because wounds don't stack and can come from multiple sources.
3a. Neither gets credit because nobody gets credit for a wound kill.
4. You can and should be well equipped for solo scenarios since a lot are harder than normal. In fact for a few you might need to buy items specifically for that scenario.
5. Yes definitely. There is a flowchart somewhere in the thread, there's also this scenario tree that helps you remember what scenarios lead into eachother: https://dmungin.github.io/gloomhaven-scenario-tree-ng/
6. There's a distinction between "empty" and "unoccupied" here. Occupied spaces are only occupied by a monster, character or summon. Empty spaces must be empty of anything except open doors or corridors. Notably summons and spawns need to be placed in an empty hex, which means no money token.
6a. I believe it stays there and can still be accessed by a loot action (this would also happen with a flying enemy dying over an obstacle)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I know that player summons don't act on the turn they are summoned, is the same true for enemy summoned creatures?

EDIT: Just found it in the rules. They do not!

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 21, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Scenario 48 question:

If I doom the Dark Rider and he disappears, does the doom stay? This is really important.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Scenario 48 question:

If I doom the Dark Rider and he disappears, does the doom stay? This is really important.

Nothing says it doesn't, so it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the answers everyone!
Last question: is the expansion best saved after the main campaign, or am I good to crack the box whenever?