Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nodosaur posted:

Calculated strikes at terrorism? It's no different from what TR does in Gen 1, which is a bunch of different schemes in different places.

Team Rocket's schemes in Gen I were at least vaguely connected by Mewtwo, though (with the exception of Mt. Moon). They're not just a bunch of schemes in different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can’t sympathize with characters that feel more obligatory than anything, man. If what you’re saying is intentional, there’d be some attempt at characterization, some underlying subtext people can agree on. But from where I’m sitting they did some underwhelming business as usual schemes, not different at all from Mt. Moon or Pokémon Tower, and then gave up when they failed. There’s nothing suggesting they’re disorganized or sad, and simply acting like Team Rocket always does isn’t enough to come off like they’re stuck in the past, it just makes it look like they recycled Team Rocket.

Vandar posted:

Team Rocket's schemes in Gen I were at least vaguely connected by Mewtwo, though (with the exception of Mt. Moon). They're not just a bunch of schemes in different places.

What?

Team Rocket having anything to do with Mewtwo is the creation of spinoff media. It has no bearing on RBY at all.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Vandar posted:

I don't remember that at all. Not within Red and Blue itself. As far as I'm aware, Mewtwo had no real connection with Team Rocket within the games itself and they were only connected in various adaptations like various manga and the anime. It isn't until Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's Rainbow Rocket episode that they would be associated in the games themselves.

Otherwise Mewtwo was created in Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Mansion with Dr.Fuji as it the lead scientist. Mewtwo would later escape, which lead to the Mansion's destruction and Dr.Fuji "atoning" by creating an orphanage for Pokémon in Lavender Town.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nodosaur posted:

What?

Team Rocket having anything to do with Mewtwo is the creation of spinoff media. It has no bearing on RBY at all.

It's very much implied through 1) wanting their hands on the Master Ball, 2) kidnapping Mr. Fuji, who worked at the lab in the Cinnabar Mansion, and 3) taking over Pokemon Tower, because Ghost types were meant to be strong against Psychic.

I'm pretty sure one of the Scientists in the Mansion mentions working for Team Rocket, too.

It's not something they ever just come out and say, but it's easy to piece together if you look at Team Rocket's schemes and think about it. :shrug:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

I can’t sympathize with characters that feel more obligatory than anything, man. If what you’re saying is intentional, there’d be some attempt at characterization, some underlying subtext people can agree on. But from where I’m sitting they did some underwhelming business as usual schemes, not different at all from Mt. Moon or Pokémon Tower, and then gave up when they failed. There’s nothing suggesting they’re disorganized or sad, and simply acting like Team Rocket always does isn’t enough to come off like they’re stuck in the past, it just makes it look like they recycled Team Rocket.

What?

No, I am saying they are pathetic. They are not sympathetic in any way; they cut animals' ails for quick cash and they made tbe red gyarados as a careless side effect. They are aimless pathetic people who work because they are faceless and thus you cannot feel sympathy for them. I find it endearing that all this bravado and evil comes from people who are a pathetic lot that had nothing going for them; bad people that would fail no matter what.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Ruby is my favorite Pokémon game. Ask me anything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So onto more Gen6 questions, namely about gaining affection. I'm guessing PokeRefresh was the fixed version of Amie because Amie feels insanely more grindy. Pokemon just gobble down those puffs seemingly endlessly, and the minigames are...not great. Is this the only way to level their affection, or will they passively gain it just by being in my party?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

No, I am saying they are pathetic. They are not sympathetic in any way; they cut animals' ails for quick cash and they made tbe red gyarados as a careless side effect. They are aimless pathetic people who work because they are faceless and thus you cannot feel sympathy for them. I find it endearing that all this bravado and evil comes from people who are a pathetic lot that had nothing going for them; bad people that would fail no matter what.

You’re putting a lot more into that than what’s in the game. The Slowpoke stuff is on the same level as stealing rare stones and killing Marowak’s mom - they remove the tails because that’s what’s actually valuable. I won’t deny that creating Red Gyarados was a side effect, but the organization has never shown any concern for ecology in their schemes. I’m not seeing anything that’s particularly different from what they did before or implied the organization is purposely meant to be pathetic at all.

Vandar posted:

It's very much implied through 1) wanting their hands on the Master Ball, 2) kidnapping Mr. Fuji, who worked at the lab in the Cinnabar Mansion, and 3) taking over Pokemon Tower, because Ghost types were meant to be strong against Psychic.

I'm pretty sure one of the Scientists in the Mansion mentions working for Team Rocket, too.

It's not something they ever just come out and say, but it's easy to piece together if you look at Team Rocket's schemes and think about it. :shrug:

That’s... a fine theory, but not stated in the games at all. TR themselves never give any indication they’re after Mewtwo, and I don’t remember the scientist you’re talking about at all. Do you have a screenshot?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Eimi posted:

So onto more Gen6 questions, namely about gaining affection. I'm guessing PokeRefresh was the fixed version of Amie because Amie feels insanely more grindy. Pokemon just gobble down those puffs seemingly endlessly, and the minigames are...not great. Is this the only way to level their affection, or will they passively gain it just by being in my party?
Poke amie is required for affection, yes. Not for happiness evos or anything important, so if you don't want to, just skip it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Why not Sapphire?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Guys I just nicknamed a wingull and am disappointed that there isn't a Water/Flying heron pokemon named Seagret. It's right there!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Bongo Bill posted:

Why not Sapphire?

Zangoose aka Furry David Bowie, also I like groudon better than kyogre.

Generally speaking I like the character designs in Gen 3 a lot. The gym leaders are all great, the elite 4 are honestly the only ones I think are lame. Having the PCs dad as a gym leader was a great touch and having him dressed like a guy who’s trying too hard is hilarious. Water Pokémon were my favorites for a long time so I never had a problem with the surf/dive heavy parts of the game. I also like the weird side locations like the abandoned ship or the Braille chambers. Secret Bases rule.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pok%C3%A9mon_Diamond_and_Pearl/Japanese_Diamond_Debug_Cartridge

Someone found a Pokemon Diamond debug rom. It's dated close to release so probably a final check before manufacturing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Beat all the Kanto gym leaders in HG :toot:

now all that's left is the Elite Four Rematch + fight against Red... which involves a fair amount of grinding that I don't really want to do, but at the same time, finishing without beating them leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Eimi posted:

You need to interact with them in Amie to get affection. The only thing this is required for is getting Eevee to evolve into Sylveon.

Also it's a lot easier to get Pokebeans in Gen VII (Pelago spits them out often, and there are super beans that give a ton of affection.) compared to the cupcakes in Gen VI. Because the minigames are the only way to get them in Gen VI.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blaziken386 posted:

now all that's left is the Elite Four Rematch + fight against Red... which involves a fair amount of grinding that I don't really want to do, but at the same time, finishing without beating them leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The secret is to have a copy of DPPt and trade your mons over to grind in Mt.Stark and that bar where the gym leaders hang out.

On the subject of Team Rocket in Johto. At least in HGSS their plan in seizing the radio tower is to use the Lake of Rage signal to brainwash and control all the worlds pokemon. I don't know if that plot point was in the original GSC or retconned in, but it's there.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Decided to say "eeeh, gently caress it" and maybe come back to HG later. Jumping forward to White2 instead, only to be immediately reminded "oh yeah, this is the game where they actually put in difficulty settings" :eyepop:

sure, they implemented it in the MOST boneheaded loving way possible, but I have a copy of Black 2 with everything unlocked for transferring AND for situations like this. :toot:

Araxxor posted:

You need to interact with them in Amie to get affection. The only thing this is required for is getting Eevee to evolve into Sylveon.

Also it's a lot easier to get Pokebeans in Gen VII (Pelago spits them out often, and there are super beans that give a ton of affection.) compared to the cupcakes in Gen VI. Because the minigames are the only way to get them in Gen VI.
The fact that the first isle, once fully upgraded, just shits out pokebeans is fantastic. It means I can actually give my lil' buddies treats after every important battle :3:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I bought hg back in 2010 and still haven't beaten them either just cause of the grind.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

Literally everything in Johto is horribly impractical. You want to add a new Pokemon to your team? Too loving bad, they come at a super low level and you have no easy way to catch them up. You want a Dark-type? Hahahah gently caress you.

Umbreon tho

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
umbreon was my friend in original gold ver and he used Thief on everything

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

Affection and Friendship are separate stats. Affection is gained only by doing Pokemon Amie stuff like playing with them and feeding them profiteroles (X/Y) or Pokemon Refresh things like grooming/healing, playing with them, and feeding them beans (S/M/US/UM). You cannot gain Affection just by using a Pokemon in your party. It's used for Sylveon's evolution and high Affection will add a few cool things like increased XP gain (combined with XP share this makes levelling your Pokemon in G7/G8 way fast), chance of shrugging off status effects or enduring moves that would faint them, increased crit chance, and little "Pooplio looked back and you and smiled!" messages during battle sometimes. Friendship is the same as it ever was - used to evolve babies and a few others including Eevee to Umbreon and Espeon, changes the damage of Return and Frustration, etc etc. It's influenced by a lot of things and can go up or down, unlike Affection which only goes up iirc. Healing a Pokemon's health or using it in battle makes it friendlier, as does letting it hold stuff like the Lucky Egg. You can also give them haircuts or massages or let them rest in the hot springs in Poke Pelago (BUT if you leave them in too long they'll get overheated and upset instead). Letting it faint or letting status effects linger makes them grumpier, as do using certain bad-tasting medicines. You can very easily have a Pokemon with high Affection and low/negative Friendship or low/zero Affection and high Friendship.

For the main part, Affection has more actual benefits in the game when you're battling, unless you actually use Return. However, Friendship is used for way more evolutions so is more "necessary" than Affection.

Going back to Amie from Refresh does suck. Refresh is just better in almost every way. Beans are easier to gain than profiteroles, you can cure status effects in Refresh whereas in Amie you can't even play with a Pokemon who has a status effect, and in my experience levelling Affection is just easier in Refresh unless you're playing the minigames a lot to make your Pokemon more hungry. The only real plus side to Amie is you have theoretically unlimited profiteroles through the minigames, whereas in Refresh you're limited by how many beans your beanstalk makes, but this quickly becomes a non issue when you level up your stalk (very cheap and easy to do), and also the profiteroles are objectively prettier and cuter whereas the beans just look like lovely beans :colbert:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Side note I'm driven to white-hot fury whenever I see people with their "irl Pokemon recipes!" making pokepuffs into cupcakes. They're profiteroles!! you fools! You can see their delicious innards and they're from France (home of the profiterole) and are shaped and decorated like profiteroles and even have profiterole names in other languages!! They're not cupcakes! Philistines! :argh:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Malasadas irl are pretty ok.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
a real malasada, fresh out of the fryer, is the best in this world

japanese malasadas... no thank you

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The White Dragon posted:

a real malasada, fresh out of the fryer, is the best in this world

I got mine on Kauai, but that wasn't an option they were offering.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

I mean, what's there to ask? You're correct. also, Gen III is, pound for pound, the best set of Pokemon, in terms of the average quality.
We're talking three GREAT starters. We're talking the trash rodent being Zigzagoon, adorable, useful for Pickup, and well-designed. We're talking LUDICOLO, we're talking how solidly designed Wingull and Pelipper were that they just show up in every mainline game. We're talking about Breloom, Shedinja, the whole Whismur line, Makuhita & Hariyama, Sableye, Mawile, the Aron line, Swalot, Sharpedo, WAILORD, Numel & Camerupt, Torkoal, Spoink & Grumpig, the Trapinch family, Cacnea & Cacturne, Swablu & Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Whiscash, Corphish, both fossil lines are total weird curveballs, Shuppet & Banette, Tropius, Absol, Spheal, Salamence, Metagross, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. so much quality. and what is really irredeemable garbage in gen III? Azurill, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Luvdisc. six. Only six. a few generations have twice or triple that. and it's the third-largest generation.

it's also the first generation to really make the Ghost type a thing. sure, there were four ghost types before, but that's one evolution line and Misdreavus. and then we get six idiosyncratic ghost friends! Shedinja's such a bizarre concept, and an incredible gimmick loved by people that subject themselves to bullshit difficulty fangames. Banette is the first ghost that's really 2spooky. Sableye had no weak.

Dark also had its real coming out party, with a first route rep, and then several final forms gaining a Dark typing. as well as Absol, who is still one of the most popular Pokemon that isn't a starter or a legendary.

and Dragon got a fullblown love letter with three fully evolved representatives, and the move Dragon Claw introduced. Salamence is the most classically Dragon-y Dragon type that has ever Dragon'd.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, here's a question, does anyone remember that method of exploiting the DNS settings of your DS to get clone pokemon (The one where you could get some interesting clone PKMN like the Tropius HM slave which I mind having a nickname like Hot/Hand Banana)?

Is that still possible to do in the DS gens or did that go down with the official nintendo online service?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Actually Gen 3 has the worst set of starters and a meh dex, but not everything can be Gen 5 levels of good.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

all of gen 3's dark types are physical attackers and this was before the physical special split :ssh:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

galagazombie posted:

Actually Gen 3 has the worst set of starters and a meh dex, but not everything can be Gen 5 levels of good.

How can every single word in a sentence be so wrong!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HalfGoldTiger/status/1139618207633936384

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why would you choose Ruby over Emerald, which greatly improves it and is just so drat good?

There's no easy way to raise friendship in Gen 2 so getting Umbreon is a pain the butt. Plus, it's not the best Mon for in-game with low offense and high defense.

galagazombie posted:

The second part of your post is correct but sadly it doesn't make up for how wrong the first part is.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 19, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Emerald's always been my favourite. I really like Hoenn. And the look of all those sprites and art on the DS that were scaled slightly as the minor 3D effect so the pixels didn't line up with the screen's resolution any more and it looks all jagged always bugged me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaziken386 posted:

Poke amie is required for affection, yes. Not for happiness evos or anything important, so if you don't want to, just skip it

I'm fond of using it in post-game for being able to get an EXP boost, or well, back when I was fussing around with Battle Tree to get them up to 50 quicker.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I spent a good 10 hours using a guide to capture Raikou in Gold. Finally, after pouring over the image a 5th time, furiously scanning for something, anything I missed that might indicate why the guide says "50% chance to encounter in 5 minutes" as I'm ready to throw my 3DS, I looked down at the comments. First one was a link to an updated guide.

An updated guide that says "hey the previous version had you flying to Mahogany and going left, turns out there is explicit code in the game to makes the encounter rate plummet to .2% if it detects you grinding a single route. Instead, alternate Mahogany and Violet City."

Got Raikou within 10 minutes.

Onwards to Silver!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Johto itself is a claustrophobic area without much of its own identity.

While the region is indeed small it's straight up wrong to say it has no identity when the entire point of it is to be old Japan, in contrast to Kanto's new Japan. You have an elaborate ancient city structure, countless towers, evidence of old civilization in the towns themselves (like the Slowpoke Well) with only a bit of modernity stacked up against it. By contrast, Kanto is so into their scrap-and-build that there's nothing quaint about the cities save for maybe Fuchsia to the point where they renovated a cemetery to keep up with the neighbouring region's radio stations. The rapid industrialization of Kanto is why so many Poison-types call it home.

quote:

Otherwise Mewtwo was created in Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Mansion with Dr.Fuji as it the lead scientist. Mewtwo would later escape, which lead to the Mansion's destruction and Dr.Fuji "atoning" by creating an orphanage for Pokémon in Lavender Town.
And then kidnapped by Team Rocket. Again it's all implicit but that's what makes it interesting. I don't think they pulled the idea of Giovanni wanted Mewtwo from no where, the association had to have been at least considered in development.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 19, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why would you choose Ruby over Emerald, which greatly improves it and is just so drat good?
Agreed, Emerald is the best mainline Pokemon game, and the second best Pokemon game overall (best being Pokemon Snap, the only nonviolent FPS ever made).

I keep wanting every new game to grab me like Emerald did, and they just fall short. Hell, I didn't even play Emerald as my first - I started with Blue, then went Silver, then skipped gen 3 and didn't play Emerald until after I finished Diamond. Emerald just has the best range of pokemon, the best concept, the Whismur line being introduced right before a bat cave (making me immune to supersonic and, after giving it rock smash (I think? there was a fighting move, anyway) making it the only poke you needed to get through what is always a Bullshit Cave (and cementing my love for the line) and just. gently caress yeah, gen 3, gently caress yeah Emerald, I want the new game to remind me of Emerald so badly.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

They were also explicitely after Ghost Pokemon (since they had the SILPH Scope) at one point, which are the only pokemon that are supposed to be able to take Psychic Pokemon (even though that's not the case in gen 1.)

The only thing tying the mansion to Rocket is pretty weak, it's that you can find almost all of their common pokemon there (namely koffing, raticate and muk)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm trying my best to make Shedinja work (Alpha Sapphire), but boy oh boy it's not going too well. How do you use Shedinja?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Galar Dex looking real good.