Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm honestly shocked I made it to this point without being spoiled, thanks thread.

I did block "attack on titan" on my google/youtube searches, so that probably helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

For anime only viewers, there's a really dumb "actually, aot is fascist" clickbait article on polygon that's mixed with manga spoilers and straight up wrong takes despite dressing itself up as a take on the anime. Just a fair warning in case anyone happens to see that stupid article around, don't click on it.

An ill-thought, clickbaity article from Polygon? Say it ain't so!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, they have a bunch of dumb bullshit, but they also give the guy who does unraveled(forget his name) a platform and he's one of the best comedians in games anything right now so I tend to give them a pass on their lovely clickbait :v:

The ultimate pokerap is simply inspiring

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, they have a bunch of dumb bullshit, but they also give the guy who does unraveled(forget his name) a platform and he's one of the best comedians in games anything right now so I tend to give them a pass on their lovely clickbait :v:

The ultimate pokerap is simply inspiring

Brian David Gilbert is a treat and deserves so many props.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

LightningKimba posted:

Brian David Gilbert is a treat and deserves so many props.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

For anime only viewers, there's a really dumb "actually, aot is fascist" clickbait article on polygon that's mixed with manga spoilers and straight up wrong takes despite dressing itself up as a take on the anime. Just a fair warning in case anyone happens to see that stupid article around, don't click on it.

Thanks, Google likes trying to show me articles and I have to keep on telling it not to.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is everyone here mentioning child soldiers, what did I miss from this last episode that would make us think Bert and Reiner were recruited as children?

Marley did a recruitment drive for Eldian children to become Titan shifter soldiers, which is what Grisha tried to make Zeke become to further Grisha's Eldian restoration goals, which backfired hilariously horribly on him when Zeke turned him and Dina in to Marley.
During RBA's attack on Wall Maria:
Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were 10
Reiner and Bertholdt were 12, and Annie was 10. In flashbacks, Marcel looks to be around the same age range, so presumably he is too. That may or may not be correct.

I guess while I'm here I might as well do a 9 Titans status list, as well.

In Paradis:
1) ??? Titan: Possessed by Eren, passed on after he ate his father.
2) Founding Titan: Possessed by Eren; passed on after he ate his father, who had gained it from eating Freida.
3) Colossal Titan: Possessed by Armin; gained after he ate Burrito Bertholdt.
4) Female Titan: Possessed by Annie, who is deep underground encased in crystal.

In Marley:
5) ??? Titan: This titan has not been named yet.
6) ??? Titan: This titan has not been named yet. It's most likely the Quadraped Titan, since that Titan spoke and gave a report to Zeke. Posessed by ???.
7) Armored Titan: Posessed by Reiner.
8) Beast Titan: Possessed by Zeke.
9) ??? Titan: Possessed by Ymir. This titan has not been named yet. Ymir went back to Marley with Reiner and Bertholdt. She wasn't there during the Singanshina Battle, and Reiner had a letter from her to Historia, so presumably Ymir is in Marley now.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 19, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is everyone here mentioning child soldiers, what did I miss from this last episode that would make us think Bert and Reiner were recruited as children?

They would have been the same age as Eren, Mikasa, and Armin when they broke the walls at first, and they were all very much children at the time.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
I could have sworn it talked to Zeke so I知 counting him as one.

Also in the drawings there is a drawing of a titan on all 4 so I think it痴 him.

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 19, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It seems like a terrible idea to initiate this important plan with children, even if it sort of worked. And then I guess Marley just left RBA to it for years without checking up on them?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Catalina posted:

Marley did a recruitment drive for Eldian children to become Titan shifter soldiers, which is what Grisha tried to make Zeke become to further Grisha's Eldian restoration goals, which backfired hilariously horribly on him when Zeke turned him and Dina in to Marley.
During RBA's attack on Wall Maria:
Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were 10
Reiner and Bertholdt were 12, and Annie was 10. In flashbacks, Marcel looks to be around the same age range, so presumably he is too. That may or may not be correct.

I guess while I'm here I might as well do a 9 Titans status list, as well.

In Paradis:
1) ??? Titan: Possessed by Eren, passed on after he ate his father.
2) Founding Titan: Possessed by Eren; passed on after he ate his father, who had gained it from eating Freida.
3) Colossal Titan: Possessed by Armin; gained after he ate Burrito Bertholdt.
4) Female Titan: Possessed by Annie, who is deep underground encased in crystal.

In Marley:
5) ??? Titan: This titan has not been named yet.
6) ??? Titan: This titan has not been named yet.
7) Armored Titan: Posessed by Reiner.
8) Beast Titan: Possessed by Zeke.
9) ??? Titan: Possessed by Ymir. This titan has not been named yet. Ymir went back to Marley with Reiner and Bertholdt. She wasn't there during the Singanshina Battle, and Reiner had a letter from her to Historia, so presumably Ymir is in Marley now.

It's conceivable that Quadraped Titan may be a shifter, since it is a unique type, but it's not completely clear whether it's intelligent or just following Zeke's orders.

The Quad Titan spoke to Zeke and gave a report.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thanks, that's right, I'd forgotten that. Updated the status report.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Alan_Shore posted:

It seems like a terrible idea to initiate this important plan with children, even if it sort of worked. And then I guess Marley just left RBA to it for years without checking up on them?

The older someone is, the greater they break free of indoctrination. Also way easier to sneak in children with no apparent families than combat ready adults.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Also the Shifter trio have a small appearance in episode 2 as children

https://m.imgur.com/a/wBanA

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Exia posted:

Also the Shifter trio have a small appearance in episode 2 as children
Try to link to the picture, not the album. Imgur likes to show "related images" and directly below what you want people to see is a picture with bits of the manga in it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saagonsa posted:

They would have been the same age as Eren, Mikasa, and Armin when they broke the walls at first, and they were all very much children at the time.

I mean, let's be honest, they're still all children now, though some of that can be chalked up to "anime."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just rewatched the first episode (which is a fantastic first episode) I have two notes:

1) Eren dreams about the future before it happens, which is interesting
2) the episode is called "To you, in 2000 years..." hmmm

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alan_Shore posted:

I just rewatched the first episode (which is a fantastic first episode) I have two notes:

1) Eren dreams about the future before it happens, which is interesting
2) the episode is called "To you, in 2000 years..." hmmm

Still curious if the narrator is supposed to be Mikasa or Armin. I知 leaning towards Mikasa, since she is immune to mind wipes.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Still curious if the narrator is supposed to be Mikasa or Armin. I知 leaning towards Mikasa, since she is immune to mind wipes.

speculation I think its a titan inheritor/predecessor of Eren.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 20, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That image in the book with the titans holding up "roads" made me think of that commercial break card about a guy trying to dig under the walls until he disappeared. I'd love it if there's some kind of subterranian mega titan land.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Something I just realized is a great dark joke:

The Scouts exist to eliminate the Titans, with I guess some goal of eliminating Titans cause as of the first episode it can be assumed that they dont reproduce and there has to be a set number.

Nope. There is basically an unlimited supply of Titans that are basically being poured into the aquarium.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

That image in the book with the titans holding up "roads" made me think of that commercial break card about a guy trying to dig under the walls until he disappeared. I'd love it if there's some kind of subterranian mega titan land.

Almost certainly he was captured by the MPs, maybe even Kenny's crew.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gaj posted:

Something I just realized is a great dark joke:

The Scouts exist to eliminate the Titans, with I guess some goal of eliminating Titans cause as of the first episode it can be assumed that they dont reproduce and there has to be a set number.

Nope. There is basically an unlimited supply of Titans that are basically being poured into the aquarium.

Not only that, the scouts are inadvertently murdering their own people

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Hmm. Something that just occurred to me: the sanctity of the walls seems to depend entirely upon Marley pouring an unlimited supply of titans into the island. Like, sure, the First King moves most of his civilisation to the island, sets up a bunch of walls, and maybe even drops a few Titans outside to keep anyone from leaving easily. But those Titans won't last forever - even if the inhabitants of the walls are fairly incompetent at killing them, surely they'll end up wandering somewhere without sunlight and hibernating like Ymir did, or getting killed by humans through pure luck. And with no titans outside, or even with not very many, people will start to get curious, and the Military Police can't stop them all, not without turning the walls explicitly into some sort of prison and inviting violent revolution.

So did the First King know that Marley was going to cooperate with his plan and continually refill the titans? Did he even arrange for them to do so - e.g, give them syringes and the technology to make them, intentionally leave Eldians behind to provide a "breeding pool"? Or did they decide to do so independently, and if so why? What do they get out of it, other than containment of the Eldians (when presumably they'd rather exterminate them - in fact I have to assume the only reason they keep a population of Eldians alive in ghettos is so they have a self-replentishing supply of mindless titans). Is this one of the not-release-titans-in-walls conditions?

i don't think we have enough information to answer any of this, but it's interesting to think about

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The first king still has the ability to completely mind control every eldian within the walls.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

a computing pun posted:

Hmm. Something that just occurred to me: the sanctity of the walls seems to depend entirely upon Marley pouring an unlimited supply of titans into the island. Like, sure, the First King moves most of his civilisation to the island, sets up a bunch of walls, and maybe even drops a few Titans outside to keep anyone from leaving easily. But those Titans won't last forever - even if the inhabitants of the walls are fairly incompetent at killing them, surely they'll end up wandering somewhere without sunlight and hibernating like Ymir did, or getting killed by humans through pure luck. And with no titans outside, or even with not very many, people will start to get curious, and the Military Police can't stop them all, not without turning the walls explicitly into some sort of prison and inviting violent revolution.

So did the First King know that Marley was going to cooperate with his plan and continually refill the titans? Did he even arrange for them to do so - e.g, give them syringes and the technology to make them, intentionally leave Eldians behind to provide a "breeding pool"? Or did they decide to do so independently, and if so why? What do they get out of it, other than containment of the Eldians (when presumably they'd rather exterminate them - in fact I have to assume the only reason they keep a population of Eldians alive in ghettos is so they have a self-replentishing supply of mindless titans). Is this one of the not-release-titans-in-walls conditions?

i don't think we have enough information to answer any of this, but it's interesting to think about

The titans outside of the walls were mostly irrelevant, it seems. The only citizens who ever even saw the outside of Maria were the Scouts, and they were a few hundred and pretty universally derided as government pork-spending.

I am guessing that sending Eldians to the Island, from the Continent, is a social control mechanism. Marley has clearly controlled the titans with agency for a while, but they still need to replace/replenish the actual Eldians inside them, which is probably why they keep the ghettos around. Otherwise, why not just kill them all, like so many clearly want to? The only reason I can see is that the Eldians are a strategic asset. They probably have to keep using child soldiers because once one of them sees some battles and have the power for a while, either they will see through Marley's propaganda or maybe the original Titan Personality asserts itself eventually, ala the King. This seems to be what's happening to Eren. There might be a half-life on how long and how much control they can keep if eventually every titan pilot gets subsumed by the (heh) larger ego.

Also, realized the whole ~pact with the devil~ thing has to be propaganda, since it came from Marley...I wonder if we'll ever find out where Titan Powers actually came from and if this is set in a future/past version of our Earth.

A big flaming stink posted:

The first king still has the ability to completely mind control every eldian within the walls.

Not anymore: he dead.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I really want this series to have a happy end but i知 struggling to imagine how

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, realized the whole ~pact with the devil~ thing has to be propaganda, since it came from Marley...I wonder if we'll ever find out where Titan Powers actually came from and if this is set in a future/past version of our Earth.

Didn't we see some version of this in Historia's childhood book? Maybe the original Eldian myth is more like tricking the devil.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Armin's speech about getting to know one another right before he ate Beartoto is the only out that I see to a happy ending...if Armin can get some memories of Bert ala Eren/Grisha, he might gain an understanding necessary to end the conflict.

Only problem is we don't know if Eren is getting memories, having his personality subsumed, or what...every shifter we've seen has been pretty schizophrenic.

Maera Sior posted:

Didn't we see some version of this in Historia's childhood book? Maybe the original Eldian myth is more like tricking the devil.

I need to rewatch... :ohdear:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lube Enthusiast posted:

According to a late 2013 interview (around the end of the Clash of the Titans arc in the manga, when Eren uses the Coordinate), one of the conditions Isayama's editor gave him in order to begin publishing was to have an ending in mind. And so he did. But as time went on he became conflicted, because he was concerned about the "traumatizing" effect it'd have on audiences, particularly as the series gained popularity with the anime and movie adaptations. He said then that he came up with a different ending idea, but wanted to stick to the original ending too so... :iiam:

At the very least it's probably not going to be as dark as he originally envisioned. Probably.

For a little more context, Sasha was originally slated to die back in S2, when she saves that little girl from titanized Connie's dad. But apparently Isayama's editor told her it was too tragic and Sasha's too popular to go like that, so that's why our lovable potato girl is still around. So the series' popularity certainly has some influence on the direction he's willing to take it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Isayama stated that the ending won't be a tragedy about a year ago from what I remember.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
e: Quiet about potential manga spoilers, please. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
God I hope Mikasa doesn't eat him and is like "you'll always be a part of me/with me"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

God I hope Mikasa doesn't eat him and is like "you'll always be a part of me/with me"

Would that even work given she's of Asian/Ackerman descent as opposed to Eldian?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Nobody said anything of eating him as a titan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now I知 imagining Titans being grown in some kind of bizarre cannibalism farm.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I doubt this will be a full-on tragic ending (and it really should not be) but there's no way in hell this series won't end with a bittersweet finale. The best we can hope for is that it will be more on the sweet side, and it seems that Isayama's leaning more into that thankfully, but we won't get a full happy ending, the stakes are too high and the world's too dark.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I知 not even sure I壇 want a happy ending, the series has always had such a good nuance in its understanding of the human condition in a world that is constantly swinging between hope and despair. I壇 much prefer a bittersweet one.

Though I guess I wouldn稚 say no to an ending where everyone lives happily ever after because they turn Paradis into a tourist destination where you can go on Titan hunting safaris and pay for seating to watch Titan Shifter MMA and wrestling matches, thus proving that the Eldians have an important contribution to make the world a better place.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 22, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I was watching some scenes from last season and I just wanted to highlight that man this reveal recontextualises and gives a lot more meaning to Ymir's connection to Historia.

Like, Ymir grew up in a Eldian slum a generation after the Marlian's took over and specifically grew up pretending to be of a descendant of the original Ymir to a cult of insurgent Eldians. Only for everything to be torn down and she got turned into a Titan. But then through a sheer miraculous coincidence she managed to eat one of the 9 Shifters in the entire world and meet an actual royal descendant who formed a deep personal connection to her and "forgave" her for her perceived sins. It's like if an actual Jew in the holocaust met Moses or something, who personally validated them as a person. It makes a lot of what she was doing make a lot more sense now.

Of course this is only for the anime, since I don't think her backstory was shown yet in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Episode 58. What the heck did the last 7 seconds of that episode mean?! Don't answer, that. The episode seemed pretty straight forward and then BAM! That last line.