Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jokes posted:

If you name her Aerith it'll restore the lines of code that enable you to revive her by shooting the airship fin exactly 3 times in the rollercoaster at the gold saucer.

I'm not joking, it's a real glitch people exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember a magazine tricking me with ways to revive Aeris because I was stupid and didn't realise "1/35 soldier" meant 1:35 scale, not that there was 35 of them. Something about morphing KOTR, also.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the ff7 rumor of choice from my childhood was about the General in Manchuria and the underwater materia

I have no idea to this day how that even remotely got started because at least the other rumors i fell for involved locations in the game itself

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Merilan posted:

the ff7 rumor of choice from my childhood was about the General in Manchuria and the underwater materia

I have no idea to this day how that even remotely got started because at least the other rumors i fell for involved locations in the game itself

Wasn't Kalm called Manchuria in the japanese version?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The White Dragon posted:

president john shinra

Johnny's dad :colbert:

I actually liked Johnny as a side-character (even though some lines were messed up in translation). He is hilariously petty to Cloud.

And I read that in the spinoff stuff he's running a bar (because Tifa owns one) and his business is terrible because he can't shut up about how cool she is so all of his customers end up going to her bar instead.

What a fanboy.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 18, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

cock hero flux posted:

Wasn't Kalm called Manchuria in the japanese version?

Doesn't seem like it, at least according to https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Kalm which just has it as カーム (Kāmu?) so more or less the same thing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh my God I started playing FF7 again but I was so tired during the Wall Market I forgot to go have a train run on Cloud.

Totally forgot if you don't get picked by Corneo you get foisted on Corneos lackeys and they chase you around the break room holding their hands out like zombies so I guess it was worth it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just beat XII and one of the illustrations seemed to be a smiling Dr. Cid holding babby Balthier. Just got flashbacks to the dark as gently caress RE4 ending illustrations where they show you all the people pre Las Plagas and then their hosed up descent into parasitic slavery.

E: did not realize this game has a new game + gently caress yeah

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Just finished 7 again after not having beat it in years. Forgot how abrupt the ending is. Also I kinda feel like most of the game is front loaded on disc 1. Disc 2 speeds up a lot of stuff, but it's not as bad as how disc 3 gets.

I finished FF9 last week for the first time since pretty much when it laumched and it really jarringly has this problem, but less frontloaded.The first disc is over before it feels like the game has got going, while the final disc is really blatantly padded by throwing in lots of the suuuuper sloooow paced battles.

Totally get how people love that game, some really nice touches, but it has probably as many (though,
different) flaws as FF8. Which is fine, because FF8 is great.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh gently caress ng+ in FFXII doesn't retain bestiary/hunt/map progress and I accidentally saved over my endgame save. :rip:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Oh gently caress ng+ in FFXII doesn't retain bestiary/hunt/map progress and I accidentally saved over my endgame save. :rip:

Its ok, one of the bestiary creatures has a like 1/256 spawn rate in one room of the great crystal

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jokes posted:

If you name her Aerith it'll restore the lines of code that enable you to revive her by shooting the airship fin exactly 3 times in the rollercoaster at the gold saucer.

If you ironman FF6 up through the floating continent segment and then kill your whole team without saving anytime after first escaping with Terra, General Leo joins your party.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

9's formula is (n+=(1...spirit))>=256, though if you have high tide it's (n+=spirit)>=256 so if you don't have High Tide and if you have low Spirit, it can take as many as 256 offensive actions/hits taken to fill the gauge up. but if you have the cap of 50 Spirit with High Tide equipped, you'll always get Trance every sixth attack landed/hit received, which is so abundant you're almost guaranteed to get one for each character in every boss fight.

that said most players will skip High Tide because it's a very expensive skill, and of course Quina's Trance is useless(?) against bosses, so that doesn't exactly help unless you know the system inside out. 9 is kind of like 8 in that way, if you just roll with it certain parts of the systems will seem frustrating because they're extremely opaque but if you know exactly what you're doing then you can control everything.

it also kind of sucks though because you lose Trance if you get hit with Zombie and there's no way to immunize yourself against that

president john shinra

I never bothered to save when I replayed ff9 on the switch because of the autosave feature. I ignored Quina the whole game and got stuck on the 2 person boss fight where you had to use them. Guess which boss is the only one where Quina's trance skill is actually good.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I get that Advent Children is supposed to be the epilogue for these characters basically but one thing I’m hoping for the remake to do is actually put an epilogue in the game proper.

That’s assuming they ever actually finish the thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope they reveal how tf Nanaki had kids. Did he find a female of his species? Reproduce asexually?

The world needs to know!!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

esperterra posted:

I hope they reveal how tf Nanaki had kids. Did he find a female of his species? Reproduce asexually?

clearly someone never played chapter 18 of Before Crisis

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whalley posted:

clearly someone never played chapter 18 of Before Crisis

And every day I thank the lord Cher, hallowed be her name, for such a gift.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Its ok, one of the bestiary creatures has a like 1/256 spawn rate in one room of the great crystal

Knowing my luck I already had the entry unlocked in the save file that I wrote over. :smith:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DrNutt posted:

Knowing my luck I already had the entry unlocked in the save file that I wrote over. :smith:

Do you potentially have a copy saved IN THE CLOUD

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
THE CLOUD’S DYIN’, PLANET

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

Do you potentially have a copy saved IN THE CLOUD

Nope, playing the Xbox version and everything syncs automatically.

HD DAD posted:

THE CLOUD’S DYIN’, PLANET

Lol

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

hojo was right

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

esperterra posted:

The world already does know (well, Japan mainly, BC wasn't released anywhere else.)

If you want to know that badly, there's an entire longplay of BC with English Translation on YouTube. It's a bad game, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stop being coy you jerks and tell me how hard Nanaki fucks.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Stop being coy you jerks and tell me how hard Nanaki fucks.
It's like, so hard. Nanaki fucks so hard Square had to invent a new form of censorship.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

his dad hosed so hard he turned to stone

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Phantasium posted:

his dad hosed so hard he turned to stone

Hard as a rock in life and in death

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can someone confirm that I understand the bazaar system in FFXII correctly? I can sell anything pretty much at any time without hoarding, but I shouldn'tbuy anything from the bazaar until I am sure I have sold enough goods to get all the possible items? Like there's no need to hold onto my Feystones, I just have to make sure I have spawned both bazaar items that take Feystones before grabbing them?

Also NG+ in 12 really needs a "fill in license board" button. E: also it should really unlock gambits from the start.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 18, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm playing FFX for the first time and so far it's felt like a four hour tutorial. I've enjoyed it so far but now I guess I have to learn how to play Blitzball. does the hand-holding let up?

e: wow my goalie is a fat idiot
e2: this is a really stupid minigame

indigi fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 18, 2019

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DrNutt posted:

Can someone confirm that I understand the bazaar system in FFXII correctly? I can sell anything pretty much at any time without hoarding, but I shouldn'tbuy anything from the bazaar until I am sure I have sold enough goods to get all the possible items? Like there's no need to hold onto my Feystones, I just have to make sure I have spawned both bazaar items that take Feystones before grabbing them?

Correct. Ingredients aren't "consumed" until you buy an item that uses that ingredient, but buying an item will "consume" ALL the ingredients involved in unlocking that item, even if it is more than the unlock required. So if you sell 100 feystones and the item only required 3 to unlock, buying that item will consume all 100 feystones. But if one item requires 3 feystones and one requires 5, selling 5 feystones will unlock both of them if you haven't purchased the 3 feystone item yet. And once an item is unlocked it stays unlocked, so you can buy whatever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Also NG+ in 12 really needs a "fill in license board" button. E: also it should really unlock gambits from the start.

Basically certain items will be available for purchase when you sell x amount of items. The counter for x resets when you "activate" an item. So say, it takes selling 3 of item X to get reward A, and 5 of item X to get reward B. If you sell 3 of X, A will become available, but you will have to sell 5 more of X to get B (meaning you need 8 of X). If you start by selling 5, you'll get A and B. This mechanic is important in a few of the best items in the bazaar and will reduce grinding if you do it right. Specifically you need 2/3 gemsteels to get the masamune and tournesol packages (among 4 other items, so sell them all at once).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I haven't been doing that at all, or in fact paid any attention to the bazaar besides always selling all my loot and buying whatever comes up, but I don't think I've really had any super rare items worth conserving anyway. I figure I'll start actually reading ingredient lists and planning this poo poo out once i get to the point i'm actually farming to get this stuff. And if it turns out I actually sold some rare poo poo and spent it, ah well. It was worth it for saving myself the headache of caring about a system 40 gameplay hours before it becomes relevant.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Amppelix posted:

I haven't been doing that at all, or in fact paid any attention to the bazaar besides always selling all my loot and buying whatever comes up, but I don't think I've really had any super rare items worth conserving anyway. I figure I'll start actually reading ingredient lists and planning this poo poo out once i get to the point i'm actually farming to get this stuff. And if it turns out I actually sold some rare poo poo and spent it, ah well. It was worth it for saving myself the headache of caring about a system 40 gameplay hours before it becomes relevant.

In all honesty after looking it up there's maybe 4 or 5 actually rare things to worry about and you won't have access to most of them until far later in the game anyway.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably best not to get too into it or you'll end up spending like a full day grinding for the tournesol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the tournesol takes some serious grinding thanks to some horrible drop rates from some enemies. Thankfully 4x speed helps a lot if you got the right gambits.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-f...ons-and-enemies

Crossdressing and dialogue options confirmed.

E: not going to be tremendously surprised if I see “actually, it’s about ethics in gaming titty” or some variant thereof bandied about elsewhere in the next couple of days

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 19, 2019

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

(laughs)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-f...ons-and-enemies

Crossdressing and dialogue options confirmed.

E: not going to be tremendously surprised if I see “actually, it’s about ethics in gaming titty” or some variant thereof bandied about elsewhere in the next couple of days

"The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…"

I take it this means no more Hot Tub full of muscle men.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I take it this means no more Hot Tub full of muscle men.

Yeah that was my first thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not surprised, and I do suspect a lot of the changes are probably the rather stereotypical representations of (coded) gay men. It was confirmed ages ago that they wanted to keep the cross dressing and the Honey Bee Inn in, but that they were going to most likely have to make some changes due to today's standards.