Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
In his defense, I only bothered this month to find out what the labels pro and anti gamergate usually mean, since most of my limited reading on this subject was mostly focused on the individuals involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Considering Rule #6 of the Game forum rules is No GamerGate this is probably the time to drop it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

El_Elegante posted:

In his defense, I only bothered this month to find out what the labels pro and anti gamergate usually mean, since most of my limited reading on this subject was mostly focused on the individuals involved.

It’s this. I’m tangentially aware that it happened and made lots of idiots mad and unleashed the blight that is Brianna Wu on the planet and gave Steve Bannon the idea for radicalizing incels from World of Warcraft into alt-right shitheads and it was basically so universally toxic that it was like the only thing that would get you straight up banned from GBS for talking about it.

Saying someone is “for Gamergate” or “against Gamergate” never made a lick of sense to me because those things fail to clarify which of those is the good side. Were the frothing hordes ruining Anita Sarkeesian’s life “gamer gate”? What if you don’t want women and minorities to be harassed but you do think all of “games journalism” is a farcical attempt at monetizing manufactured outrage by burying the lede in a toy review, because in the entire field there are maybe 5-10 people doing real journalism and research?

There’s never any nuance to GG, it’s just two frothing extremes that were never supposed to interact. We should probably table it’s discussion here, since we’ve got so many other toxic tidbits to discuss.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Can't wait to find out that the reason the net went dark in the Cyberpunk universe is because people were so sick and tired of all these GamerGates

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

What if you don’t want women and minorities to be harassed but you do think all of “games journalism” is a farcical attempt at monetizing manufactured outrage by burying the lede in a toy review, because in the entire field there are maybe 5-10 people doing real journalism and research?

Then you're anti-gamergate. This isn't hard.

Gamergate is people hating women and doing vile poo poo because of misogyny and using "but games journalism!" As an EXCUSE to do vile things.

If your response to that is "well, I agree that games journalism IS a serious issue!" Then you're falling for the bs. This isn't hard to understand.

Whatever you think about the quality of VIDEO GAME REVIEWS is loving irrelevant to the much bigger issue. You can talk about how lovely game reviews are without letting yourself be co-opted by violent manchildren.

Read between the lines dude.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

What's with the weird photoshop image?

I want a Geordi LaForge visor. Full on 90s sci-fi cheese.

Those were great and the inspiration for these shades Rihanna co designed with Dior

Even closer would be this style that you see sometimes in stuff from the 80s

80s movie Big Trouble In Little China had some classic fashion and the guy on the left is Jeff Imada who literally wrote the book on the balisong ( "butterfly knife") which is like the second most 80s weapon

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody should make a third person cyberpunk game where you can buy clothes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

puve posted:

Those were great and the inspiration for these shades Rihanna co designed with Dior

80s movie Big Trouble In Little China had some classic fashion and the guy on the left is Jeff Imada who literally wrote the book on the balisong ( "butterfly knife") which is like the second most 80s weapon

thos look like those whalebone sunglasses that inuits use.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamergate is people hating women and doing vile poo poo because of misogyny and using "but games journalism!" As an EXCUSE to do vile things.

If your response to that is "well, I agree that games journalism IS a serious issue!" Then you're falling for the bs. This isn't hard to understand.

Whatever you think about the quality of VIDEO GAME REVIEWS is loving irrelevant to the much bigger issue. You can talk about how lovely game reviews are without letting yourself be co-opted by violent manchildren.

loving this.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

puve posted:

Ah, but are you familiar with the Mexican sacatripe?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLOBGGE4jt0

yes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

I’ll close by saying “it would be demonstrably more helpful to potential allies to say “I’m anti-misogyny/ anti-racism/ anti-sexism” or “I think these people have terrible attitudes about women and minorities” than to refer to yourselves or them as pro/anti-Gamergate, because those are precise and clear cut definitions of sides of an issue that anyone can parse and doesn’t come with as much toxic baggage.”

I am an extremely online video gamer and didn’t really know what you were talking about, and anyone who doesn’t spend all day talking about video games on the Internet has functionally no clue what you could be referring to, reading between the lines or no.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
This game convinced me to pick up the pen and paper Cyberpunk 2020 (it's the second edition, 2.0.2.0 edition). Has anyone else had a chance to play it?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll close by saying “it would be demonstrably more helpful to potential allies to say “I’m anti-misogyny/ anti-racism/ anti-sexism” or “I think these people have terrible attitudes about women and minorities” than to refer to yourselves or them as pro/anti-Gamergate, because those are precise and clear cut definitions of sides of an issue that anyone can parse and doesn’t come with as much toxic baggage.”

I am an extremely online video gamer and didn’t really know what you were talking about, and anyone who doesn’t spend all day talking about video games on the Internet has functionally no clue what you could be referring to, reading between the lines or no.

This is pedantic as gently caress.

"I mean, what does anti-Nazi even mean, really?"

Positions on multiple issues get wrapped up in to a single word or concept all the time, dude. Get a clue. I was much less of a gamer when Gamergate was going on and I knew full well what the outline sketch of the debate was. Reading an article or two on any mainstream gaming website back then was enough to educate you. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

More people know about gamergate from it's inherent misogyny than from it's stance on games journalism.

The fact that their first examples were a.) a woman who may have been in a relationship with a dude at the time he wrote a single article about her then-obscure game and b.) a lady who writes primarily about mysogony in games should be a clue.

Constantly hammering on gamergate is important because there are still people within it that think they aren't in a toxic hateplace precisely because hiding behind 'critique of games journalism' was allowed to persist.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
What if you can get brain implants that allow you to talk to dogs and learn where all the stealthy level entrances are located?

What if you get four sets of arms and have to press four different buttons to shoot them in any given fight.

Maybe you'll get to date a robot that looks like a washing machine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How were CDPR when it came to fashion and customization in W3? Just wanna know what to expect, if anything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ufarn posted:

How were CDPR when it came to fashion and customization in W3? Just wanna know what to expect, if anything.

There were armor and clothing options, but Witcher gear was generally the best so everyone wore it (unless they glitched to keep their bathing towel and do a towel-only playthrough). There were different hairstyles available from barbers, including a drunk one who would gently caress up your haircut. Not as many choices as Fallout or something, but still enough to stay slightly interesting.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thos look like those whalebone sunglasses that inuits use.

They are a knockoff of the "eskimo" shades designed by Andre Courreges which were themselves a knockoff of exactly that... he was a cool "futuristic" designer in the 60s and 70s who made stuff like this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ufarn posted:

You had hundreds of clothing and armor items and weapons, but the Witcher set items were, stats wise, completely head and shoulders above anything else. There was absolutely no reason to ever equip any of the non-Witcher loot, despite there ostensibly being hundreds of items to choose from.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

puve posted:

They are a knockoff of the "eskimo" shades designed by Andre Courreges which were themselves a knockoff of exactly that... he was a cool "futuristic" designer in the 60s and 70s who made stuff like this

jesus those things are hideous. like inuit shades are cool though.

ufarn posted:

from what i saw from the demo. its kinda of mix between witcher and gta/bethesda. at least from inventory and states

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El_Elegante posted:

Yes it is used for gutting sheep and other warm blooded mammals, and cops

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I hope there’s a normcore gang

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus those things are hideous. like inuit shades are cool though.

Every other Chinese woman in Vancouver wears one in the sun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
:whitewater: at this gamersgate talk

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El_Elegante posted:

I was thinking that too, like what's the fifth "no style no substance" archetype from that set, khakis and loafers with no socks or something

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

El_Elegante posted:

It's you, the player.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Glenn Quebec posted:

gamersgate is the online storefront that preceded the controversy and has chosen not to change their name

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah social media politics stuff is dreary but all you can do is try to ignore the people with the brain disease that makes them bring it up everywhere because they're more prolific than extras in a George Romero movie

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
You know what'd make me happy? If there WONT be a spidertank anywhere in the game. Getting real tired of those in anything even remotely cyberpunk.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Archer666 posted:

You know what'd make me happy? If there WONT be a spidertank anywhere in the game. Getting real tired of those in anything even remotely cyberpunk.

:getout: immediately

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

puve posted:

Yeah social media politics stuff is dreary but all you can do is try to ignore the people with the brain disease that makes them bring it up everywhere because they're more prolific than extras in a George Romero movie

Its sucks too cause for a bunch of Extremely Online people it was their Vietnam and can't wait to bring up where they were at Great War of 2014 every single chance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Archer666 posted:

new watch dogs actually looks pretty cool. i like the play as anyone deal. plus the game is basically antifa vs norsefire.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Looking forward to someone making a GITS mod you spider tank hating trash man

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BexGu posted:

Its sucks too cause for a bunch of Extremely Online people it was their Vietnam and can't wait to bring up where they were at Great War of 2014 every single chance.

i thought the sega- nintendo console war was vietnam. at least thats what moviebob tells me.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
How was that second Watchdogs? The one in SF

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Only the dead have seen the end of the gamer wars.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Syrian Lannister posted:

How was that second Watchdogs? The one in SF

its good, havent gotten around to beating it yet. its alot lighter in tone which clashs with stuff. but its ok. marcus is a fun protag.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamelekim posted:

Every other Chinese woman in Vancouver wears one in the sun.

Cyberpunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Only the dead have seen the end of the gamer wars.

Pouring out a 40 for X_x_X_Sephiroth_X_x_X