Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gripweed posted:

I don't want shinies, I just want to beat the drat game and collect Pokemon on the way

buy repels??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Does Platinum include the increased walking speed and other stuff from HeartGold?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

indigi posted:

buy repels??

But then I wouldn't be able to catch any Pokemon. The problem is that calling for help makes catching a Pokemon a pain in the rear end. The solution isn't to just stop trying to catch Pokemon, because then I'd rather just stop playing the game altogether.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find that hilarious. We went from a point where every franchise was trying to appeal to the Yokai Watch audience (including Pokemon, the Rotom Dex exists for a reason) to now, where Yokai Watch is doing its absolute best to get someone, anyone, to play it. And it doesn't seem to be succeeding.

Goodbye, Yokai Watch. You gave us a really good Digimon season and a really annoying Pokemon gimmick.

YW seems like it found out how to have good short term appeal, but couldn't retain or like pokemon and even digimon did

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I really want to know which galaxy-brained designer in Platinum/BW2 was like "Hey, lets make breeders rematch you via eye contact every single time you re-enter a route."
I always forget it's a thing, and then I have to waste time fighting a bidoof/marill/whatever 15 levels below my team members every single time I pass them

Gripweed posted:

But then I wouldn't be able to catch any Pokemon. The problem is that calling for help makes catching a Pokemon a pain in the rear end. The solution isn't to just stop trying to catch Pokemon, because then I'd rather just stop playing the game altogether.
The fact that they can summon a new friend on the same turn you killed the last one AND attack you is broken as gently caress. It's almost as bad as Gen 1 fire spin. Hell, maybe worse, because every wild pokemon can do it

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

IMO Pokemon succeeded where those failed by creating its own world. Yokai Watch is just our world + Yokai and most Digimon media is split between the real world and the digital world which is (as far as I remember) just a place for Digimon shenanigans to happen, it doesn't have its own culture or anything.

Plus, Yokai and Digimon only interact with the main characters, they exist to battle and be collected and engage in silliness for kids to enjoy. Pokemon are animals, they exist in the real world (of the games) and everyone knows what they are and are involved with them. That leaves a much greater impression on the imagination and that's why you get explosions of fanart like Gym Leader-sonas and Ryme-sonas and what have you because everyone can be a part of the world at any social level. Not everyone's gonna have a Yokai Watch or be a Digi-Destined so everyone with one has to be an Original Character Do Not Steal. Great for kids, for a while, but it doesn't last.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I filled in that poll, and it was surprisingly hard to choose candidates for gen 4. The one Pokémon I really like that doesn't have links to an existing evolutionary family is Glameow, and it sure doesn't keep that aesthetic when it evolves.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Paralyze the pokemon you want to catch dawg, and they won't be able to call for help, given how broken their body is

It also increases catch rate, you know!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tir McDohl posted:

Paralyze the pokemon you want to catch dawg, and they won't be able to call for help, given how broken their body is

It also increases catch rate, you know!

Not all my Pokemon have Paralyze!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the poll should've lumped some of the Legendaries together based on their group. Having one Regi that isn't Regigigas seems off. Same with having, say, Moltres but not Zapdos or Articuno.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Does Platinum include the increased walking speed and other stuff from HeartGold?

I don't remember but u get a dope mansion

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Klungar posted:

Loathe it or hate it, it seems like we are stuck with the Galar Dex. What I want to know is, what would an idealized version of such a Dex look like, if we carried forward the most popular Pokémon from each Generation, and let the unloved die on the vine. If you care to weigh in, I've created a poll here: https://forms.gle/cQ3kpaMt8y53kBLT6 . There are already a couple hundred responses, but a previous version of a poll that went around last week asking for people to choose their singular favorite Pokémon hit 50k+, so I'd like to get a similar turnout to have good data to compare against.
I kept hearing about a poll so I went back a couple pages and found this.

After filling it out I have come to this conclusion about Pokemon and their distribution across the generations: I really like Pokemon and every generation brought me such good friends.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Man. The ultra beasts were cool but too many drat legendaries in gens 5 and 7. At least gen 4s legendaries had the decency to not have extra forms and stuff

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so when Ash is sent to the past and befriends Kukui as a child, the two of them befriend a giant Trevenant

later, when he gets back to the future, Ash happens upon this:

when will Kunihiko Yuyama and Aya Matsui's reign of terror end

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like the poll should've lumped some of the Legendaries together based on their group. Having one Regi that isn't Regigigas seems off. Same with having, say, Moltres but not Zapdos or Articuno.

There's also some non-Legendaries that should have been combined, like Plusle/Minun and Sawk/Throh. But there's some edge cases, naturally.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nodosaur posted:

so when Ash is sent to the past and befriends Kukui as a child, the two of them befriend a giant Trevenant

later, when he gets back to the future, Ash happens upon this:

when will Kunihiko Yuyama and Aya Matsui's reign of terror end

Kukui cant be more than 30 years old right? Does this mean Pokémon have lifespans around the same as dogs/cats or was that Trevenant already pretty old?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Not all my Pokemon have Paralyze!
This is the main problem with calling for help. You put status moves and the like on a pokemon specifically for catching pokemon, who probably isn't a member of your main team. Calling for help only being abated by status effects means that if you find a cool pokemon you want to catch out of the blue, you're pretty much poo poo outta luck.

oh, Gripweed, speaking of pokemon being annoying to catch, here's a fair warning about something extra frustrating: Wimpod (little bug pokemon on the 2nd island) is like drifloon from the DPPT games, in that it doesn't show up in the grass, only as an overworld encounter. If you get it to half health, it will run away. If you knock it out by accident (it has very poor defenses), it will not show up again upon re-loading the route. IIRC, it may take several days to respawn. So, if you want to catch all the new pokemon, keep that in mind.

I'm telling you this because I wanted one for my team when I first played, and finding that out after the fact was THE most frustrating thing.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

How does a tree possessed by the ghost of a child die of old age?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RatHat posted:

Kukui cant be more than 30 years old right? Does this mean Pokémon have lifespans around the same as dogs/cats or was that Trevenant already pretty old?

Yeah, he was old and looked close to kicking it in the past already.

Gruckles posted:

I dunno, ask the dead Mimikyu

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RatHat posted:

given it's size I'd say it was already probably super old

Gruckles posted:

The anime dex entry for Phantump said it's born from tree stumps possessed by spirits. So it's not a dead person, or necessarily a dead anything, and life just fades from it eventually.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Xelkelvos posted:

In retrospect, I probably would have just left Legendaries off completely, but this would have perhaps been a happy medium. By the time I realized I should have done something, they already received votes, and I didn’t want to invalidate them. None of them have gotten too high of a vote, so I don’t think it will make too big of a difference statistically.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

basically, aside from that one Gastly, Ghost-types are different from literal ghosts

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

I'm not aware of many explicit statements on Pokemon lifespans in any continuity. The Pokedex notes that Wartortle "is said to live 10,000 years," but the "it is said" hedge, as well as the lack of discussion of how long Blastoise lives, makes me think that this should be taken with a grain of salt. There was a Johto-era anime episode called "Just Waiting On a Friend" about a Ninetales that had outlived its trainer by 200 years, but Ninetales is the sort of Pokemon you'd expect to be especially long-lived.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xelkelvos posted:

the problem is registeel is bad but rock and ice own and articuno is a tier beyond zapdos. and moltres is awful

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Nodosaur posted:

basically, aside from that one Gastly, Ghost-types are different from literal ghosts

lies

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Klungar posted:

In retrospect, I probably would have just left Legendaries off completely, but this would have perhaps been a happy medium. By the time I realized I should have done something, they already received votes, and I didn’t want to invalidate them. None of them have gotten too high of a vote, so I don’t think it will make too big of a difference statistically.

The only time it really matters is if someone picks one or more of a particular group, thus taking away from another pick.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd be perfectly happy if they exiled Landorus but kept Thundurus and Tornadus

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blaziken386 posted:

This is the main problem with calling for help. You put status moves and the like on a pokemon specifically for catching pokemon, who probably isn't a member of your main team. Calling for help only being abated by status effects means that if you find a cool pokemon you want to catch out of the blue, you're pretty much poo poo outta luck.

oh, Gripweed, speaking of pokemon being annoying to catch, here's a fair warning about something extra frustrating: Wimpod (little bug pokemon on the 2nd island) is like drifloon from the DPPT games, in that it doesn't show up in the grass, only as an overworld encounter. If you get it to half health, it will run away. If you knock it out by accident (it has very poor defenses), it will not show up again upon re-loading the route. IIRC, it may take several days to respawn. So, if you want to catch all the new pokemon, keep that in mind.

I'm telling you this because I wanted one for my team when I first played, and finding that out after the fact was THE most frustrating thing.

this dreadful game series

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

are you sure

also, if you take a picture of gengar with the pokefinder, there's a chance for one of the fake instagram comments to be "Grandma?!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

A lot of the ones in later gens are literal ghosts, at least in the games, Yamask being the most notorious example. (White's Pokedex explains it the most directly: "These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life." The one people always talk about, though, is the hilariously disturbing Black version: "Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.")

Edit: Ninja'd.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gripweed posted:

this dreadful game series

It sounds like you haven't enjoyed any of the Pokemon games you've played recently

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

look man, as much as I like him, dying and having one's spiritual remains trapped in a mask, leading to your intelligence degrading to the point your loyalty can be bought by James of Team Rocket offering you PokeKitten chow is not a reality that should be encouraged.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, he was old and looked close to kicking it in the past already.

I dunno, ask the dead Mimikyu

Hang on what's going on with James there?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Farecoal posted:

It sounds like you haven't enjoyed any of the Pokemon games you've played recently

I really liked Alpha Sapphire

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

He's reacting with proper horror while Jessie is yet to realize what's happening

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

He's seen a gh-gh-gh-ghost

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Xelkelvos posted:

The only time it really matters is if someone picks one or more of a particular group, thus taking away from another pick.

My goal is to provide sample Dexs of size 300/400/500/600 (to add to whatever new Galar Pokémon there are) so I can try combining Legendary families and see if it makes a difference in the final outcomes either way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And I am enjoying Moon, as long as I'm not currently in a fight that's going on way too long because the Pokemon called for help. Or I've just been reminded that there's a wise-cracking Digimon on my bottom screen for some reason

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gripweed posted:

I really liked Alpha Sapphire

Fair, and sorry, that came off as kind of rude :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

And I am enjoying Moon, as long as I'm not currently in a fight that's going on way too long because the Pokemon called for help. Or I've just been reminded that there's a wise-cracking Digimon on my bottom screen for some reason

It's a Yokai, actually.