Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
maybe but who's going to press the claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dalael posted:

To the question: Who are the true successors to the Romans.

Is this even a real argument that some ppl are making ?

The only true successor of the Roman Empire is the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
there is no successor, the throne has been vacant since the last emperor left power

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I have another question, this one being kinda dumb. Why is the roof of the Pantheon open the way it is? What happened/happens when it rains? The floor just floods?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's open to let in the light, there aren't any windows. When it rains it gets wet inside. There are drains to take care of it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dalael posted:

I have another question, this one being kinda dumb. Why is the roof of the Pantheon open the way it is? What happened/happens when it rains? The floor just floods?

It's been hypothesized that the circle of sunlight is designed to illuminate specific spots in the interior on particular days (particularly solstices and equinoxes), making it a sort of ocular calendar/sundial. It would illuminate the doorway at noon on the anniversary of Rome's founding, April 21, which would presumably be the moment the Emperor would enter.

See: https://www.history.com/news/is-romes-pantheon-a-giant-sundial

No one knows for sure just what the purpose of it was, though.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Dalmuti posted:

maybe but who's going to press the claim?

It’s a pretty weak claim so it can’t be pressed unless there’s a civil war, a regency, or a woman’s holding the title.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
looms into the thread Orthodoxly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

there is no successor, the throne has been vacant since the last emperor left power

dang sedevacantists

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only legitimate ways to ascend to the purple are to be declared emperor by your troops and win a civil war, or to be co-emperor with your predecessor during his lifetime. As the latter is impossible, the only way we're getting a new roman emperor is if turkish troops start caring about 600 year old titles

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheetah7071 posted:

The only legitimate ways to ascend to the purple are to be declared emperor by your troops and win a civil war, or to be co-emperor with your predecessor during his lifetime. As the latter is impossible, the only way we're getting a new roman emperor is if turkish troops start caring about 600 year old titles

Don't give Erdogan any ideas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Supposedly there are descendants of the Palaiologos in northwest Italy still.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

my novel is going to be about one of them becoming an archeologist and digging up the remains of the magic purple room so she can give birth in it to designate the next emperor

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I found out yesterday that the Stuart's still exist, so that somehow doesn't surprise me. Maybe they can convince the Turkish Army to hail them as imperator. Or are we considering modern Greece the successor of Rome?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Please stop reminding me that my greatest failure is never being good enough at Victoria 2 to reform the Byzantine Empire

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The Roman Empire ceased to exist in 395 when Theodosius I died. It was replaced by two successor states that occupied the same territory. Neither successor state can be the thing it succeeded. Everyone that claimed the title since Theo I has been a pretender. If you want to recreate Rome you need to reconquer all of it. :agesilaus:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Family Values posted:

The Roman Empire ceased to exist in 395 when Theodosius I died. It was replaced by two successor states that occupied the same territory. Neither successor state can be the thing it succeeded. Everyone that claimed the title since Theo I has been a pretender. If you want to recreate Rome you need to reconquer all of it. :agesilaus:

:agreed: Let's start conquering

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Something that just occurred to me:

Discussion of plagues/diseases accompanying armies is absolutely ubiquitous in descriptions of modern/early modern wars. But I'm not sure I've heard of a single description of that in ancient armies. Is this a case of poor record keeping on that topic, or something else? I have the vague idea (no idea how accurate it is) that the additional millennium between antiquity and the modern era allowed for a number of our worst diseases to evolve into the scourges they became, so maybe there were just fewer diseases around for ancient armies to catch?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

Discussion of plagues/diseases accompanying armies is absolutely ubiquitous in descriptions of modern/early modern wars. But I'm not sure I've heard of a single description of that in ancient armies. Is this a case of poor record keeping on that topic, or something else? I have the vague idea (no idea how accurate it is) that the additional millennium between antiquity and the modern era allowed for a number of our worst diseases to evolve into the scourges they became, so maybe there were just fewer diseases around for ancient armies to catch?

Interesting theory. Only example that springs to mind is the Athenian plague.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A significant factor is simply the size of the armies. An entire Roman legion was about 5,000 men; most battles in ancient times were fought with a few hundred on each side.

The sanitary and environmental impact of amassing armies of tens of thousands created a much more favorable environment for disease to spread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cheetah7071 posted:

It’s a boring way to die. Nobody wants to read about 20% of your army making GBS threads themselves to death.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Antonine plague was spread by soldiers returning from campaigns in Asia.

The Hun army was pretty seriously weakened by malaria during the invasion of the Roman empire.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

like everyone is forced to read the very earliest Greek record of a plague on a military campaign in high school English. It's in the first chapter of the Iliad, when Apollo sends a plague to punish the Greeks for pillaging his temple or enslaving a priestess or something, i forget why exactly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They enslaved the priest’s daughter by pillaging the temple, but that isn’t directly why they were cursed. The priest came to the Greek camp to ransom her, which the Greeks were on board with, but Agamemnon was upset about the idea of losing his hot/useful new slave and sent the priest packing. So the priest complained to Apollo who plagued the Greeks until they would agree to give the priest his daughter back for free.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the romans suffered less from this because they were unusually fastidious about camp hygiene, and our most detailed sources on ancient warfare are roman

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jazerus posted:

the romans suffered less from this because they were unusually fastidious about camp hygiene, and our most detailed sources on ancient warfare are roman

Kyle Harper also makes a good argument in The Fate of Rome that a lot of diseases didn't exist at the time. We've always thought of these diseases as being human scourges forever but recent work on the suggests many of them are much newer than we thought--I remember specifically there's some evidence tuberculosis may not have been around in the form we know for more than about two thousand years. He also suggests the Antonine Plague was the first genuine pandemic in human history, previous diseases had never had the transportation infrastructure to get over such a massive area before.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Presumably if smallpox had existed in its early modern ubiquity 13000 years ago Siberians would have brought it with them to America (it took Europeans what, two or three trips to infect the new world?). That seems to put an upper limit on at least its spread across Eurasia which is much shorter than the existence of humans.

(Current theories still have some humans crossing the land bridge about that long ago right? Even if they were entering already-inhabited continents)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Presumably if smallpox had existed in its early modern ubiquity 13000 years ago Siberians would have brought it with them to America (it took Europeans what, two or three trips to infect the new world?). That seems to put an upper limit on at least its spread across Eurasia which is much shorter than the existence of humans.

(Current theories still have some humans crossing the land bridge about that long ago right? Even if they were entering already-inhabited continents)

There were Yupik natives moving back and forth between Siberia and Alaska on boats well after the land bridge was gone, too. But a lot of diseases don't do well in cold environments so it's thought that prevented the transmission of anything. Also may be why the vikings don't seem to have left any disease behind.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Entire Ancient Roman Town Discovered Off A Highway In England

quote:

The remains of an entire ancient Roman town have been discovered close to a highway in southeast England.

Construction workers were preparing to build more than a hundred new houses when they came upon the nearly 2000-year-old ruins.

According to The Independent, a team of 30 archaeologists has spent 8 months excavating the site. They’ve found rare coins, pottery, and jewelry dating back to as early as 30 B.C., as well as the remains of an ancient temple.

The discovery of the 18-acre site off the A2 highway in Newington, Kent has proven to be a “massive” win in terms of contextualizing the region’s past.

“This is very exciting,” said Dean Coles, chairman of the Newington History Group. “The scale of this site, with the huge number and quality of finds, changes our knowledge of Newington’s development.”

Evidence of a 23-foot-wide road, sunken pottery kilns, and rare iron furnaces were also found at the site. Additionally, numerous costly items imported from other regions indicated that those who lived here at the time were of fairly high status.

Experts have called this find one of the most significant excavations in the region’s history. This remarkable discovery was made when housing developers were preparing to build 124 new homes.  In all corners of the world, it seems, building new tenements often unearths unexpected historical remnants and artifacts.

“We already had evidence of a Roman burial ground and Roman occupation in the immediate vicinity and this excavation shows there was a thriving manufacturing site in the heart of our village,” said Coles.

The current plan is to analyze the unearthed findings and collate all relevant data in a thorough scientific report. Once that is accomplished, experts will cover up the excavation site so the housing project can continue as planned. For now, though, the focus is on the amazing evidence that’s been found.

“The temple and major road are massive discoveries,” said Coles. “It proves the A2 wasn’t the only Roman road through the village.

As a group, we are keen to trace the route and destination of this new ‘highway’ which may have connected with another temple excavated 50 years ago on the outskirts of Newington and a village unearthed in 1882.”

With the Romans having taken over and occupied Britain for nearly 400 years after invading in 43 A.D., it’s no surprise that evidence of their time there remains scattered across the island. A significant portion of the 73-mile-long Hadrian’s Wall, for instance, still stands as a remnant of Ancient Rome.

Nonetheless, this new expansive, fruitful find has stunned archaeologists and historians alike.

“This is one of the most important discoveries of a Roman small town in Kent for many years with the preservation of Roman buildings and artifacts exceptional,” said Dr. Paul Wilkinson, archaeological director at Swale and Thames Archaeological Survey.

According to The Daily Mail, there’s much work ahead for the researchers involved. Finding the site, of course, was only the beginning. Archaeology project manager Peter Cichy, at least, is eager to commence the real work.

“This is one of the most significant sites in Kent but it’s only the beginning of months and months of work,” he said. “We will be analyzing and dating our finds, sorting and piecing together thousands of pottery shards, and writing up our report.”

As it stands, those waiting for their 124 new homes to finish construction may need to practice a little patience. One of the most valuable plots of Roman and British history has just been stumbled upon, after all — potentially holding answers to centuries-old questions of ancient life.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squalid posted:

like everyone is forced to read the very earliest Greek record of a plague on a military campaign in high school English. It's in the first chapter of the Iliad

Eh? I don't know about everyone else but my English classes at school did not in fact cover a poem written in Ancient Greek.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

A significant factor is simply the size of the armies. An entire Roman legion was about 5,000 men; most battles in ancient times were fought with a few hundred on each side.

I mean 'ancient times' covers a hell of a wide range but a few hundred a side seems like pushing it to me even when we're talking about like the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain. Ancient Egypt or Parthia or Assyria or whoever sure as poo poo fielded more than that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I mean 'ancient times' covers a hell of a wide range but a few hundred a side seems like pushing it to me even when we're talking about like the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain. Ancient Egypt or Parthia or Assyria or whoever sure as poo poo fielded more than that.

Yeah, a few hundred on each side is not what I would think of for ancient battles. Classical armies were the largest ever fielded until... poo poo, the 1800s? Medieval warfare was on a much, much smaller scale than classical. I would guess Napoleon was the first European to field forces larger than the Romans did and I am far too lazy to check.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Fromage posted:

Classical armies were the largest ever fielded until... poo poo, the 1800s?
1620s and 1632

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Medieval Chinese armies could be pretty big. The Ming army at Tumu was supposedly 500k, if you believe that, and for all the good it did them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Even for China though, it took a long time for armies to get as big as they'd been under Western Han around the time of Christ. Although in that case not because of societal collapse (although also that at first) but because they got rid of mandatory universal military service that'd in place since the time of the ridiculously giant armies during the Warring States period.

Grand Fromage posted:

Kyle Harper also makes a good argument in The Fate of Rome that a lot of diseases didn't exist at the time. We've always thought of these diseases as being human scourges forever but recent work on the suggests many of them are much newer than we thought--I remember specifically there's some evidence tuberculosis may not have been around in the form we know for more than about two thousand years. He also suggests the Antonine Plague was the first genuine pandemic in human history, previous diseases had never had the transportation infrastructure to get over such a massive area before.

Yeah I read on the Ask Historians reddit a bit back that this is likely the case for acne as well, which is some serious bullshit if you ask me.

Grand Fromage posted:

There were Yupik natives moving back and forth between Siberia and Alaska on boats well after the land bridge was gone, too. But a lot of diseases don't do well in cold environments so it's thought that prevented the transmission of anything. Also may be why the vikings don't seem to have left any disease behind.

The far north/eastern Siberian natives were also themselves insulated from most of the Old World diseases in not too dissimilar a way from the american natives, since they would normally only have contact with settled civilizations through several degrees of separation. 1491 I think goes over how the natives of Kamchatka were decimated by smallpox just like the american natives were when the Russians got to them.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 20, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

like everyone is forced to read the very earliest Greek record of a plague on a military campaign in high school English. It's in the first chapter of the Iliad, when Apollo sends a plague to punish the Greeks for pillaging his temple or enslaving a priestess or something, i forget why exactly.

The bible says that the Assyrian siege of Jerusalem failed because of a plague. The bible gives credit to God, the Assyrians apparently deny that they failed and point to the tribute paid by the Israelites to go away. Who knows which version is correct, of course.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Eh? I don't know about everyone else but my English classes at school did not in fact cover a poem written in Ancient Greek.

i dunno do they have a separate literature class where you're from? I only had the one grammar and fiction class and it didn't matter what language the books were originally written in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

i dunno do they have a separate literature class where you're from? I only had the one grammar and fiction class and it didn't matter what language the books were originally written in.

In our classes we read about the Illiad but mostly an outline with select passages. Details like what you described didn't usually come up.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

I never read the Illiad in high school, I read a novel form version of the Oddessy, and beyond that I read Oedipus Rex and Antigone, and part of the Aeneid but that's about all the exposure to the Greeks and Romans that I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Coincidentally the same day I asked the question about diseases in ancient armies I start reading a book which quotes Appian talking about dysentery among new recruits fighting in Spain, so I guess it was probably just something not often talked about. I'm sure dissertations have been written about estimated mortality rates of soldiers in various periods of history.