Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*Fry meme*

not sure if praiseworthy continuation of street sporting on the spot that righteously declares that they just spent thousands and didn't solve their problems

or terrible desecration of a holy site by filthy bike riding heathens

was the scooter flip the last trick down el toro?
:lol: if so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h200utxRoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

UFOTacoMan posted:

was the scooter flip the last trick down el toro?
:lol: if so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h200utxRoQ

honestly, that was sick.

edit: and ya a drat fool if you say otherwise

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah actually that's pretty great lmfao

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert but that doesn't seem like the hardest drop ever for a bike

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert but that doesn't seem like the hardest drop ever for a bike

On one hand, he did it on a full sus mtn bike
On the other, he did it from the fuckin' roof to the "stairs"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
After further review I will re-instate it's RAD status. The hangtime is no joke for something not designed specifically for mountain bike riding. It's still not as scary as [anything] landed on a SB (or scooter apparently), but it's not bad.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Dylan Stark rips on any type of bike, and is a pretty rad dude in general.

Him tail whipping basically a longer El Toro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jNF1Gj1R0
Him doing street and vert tricks usually only seen in BMX on a mountain bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ_VtEu2zHs
Him doing (and failing at) an even gnarlier drop than that El Toro clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Mq4pl4wGs

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'd also argue that BMX tricks down massive sets are more dangerous since it's harder to bail with a bike, but they are all really dangerous and scary so who cares.

Quote != edit, here is my favorite trick from this weekend's Dew league for the double post about biking:
https://twitter.com/Andale_Bearings/status/1140427582497677312

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

sleppy posted:

I'd also argue that BMX tricks down massive sets are more dangerous since it's harder to bail with a bike, but they are all really dangerous and scary so who cares.

Quote != edit, here is my favorite trick from this weekend's Dew league for the double post about biking:
https://twitter.com/Andale_Bearings/status/1140427582497677312

*squints* BS 360 tre?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Pretty sure the board does a 540. That was his final attempt, first time trying that trick. He got robbed in my opinion, but the guy who won did really well too and is a hard flip god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYfXLBckyGE&t=18950s
That is the whole stream, but I linked a time that starts reviewing some of the best tricks.

https://twitter.com/DewTour/status/1140076804675215360

That one was insane too. I hadn't watched a skate comp in years but pretty much all the events were fun to see. Men's street is advancing so quickly beyond everything else, but on the other hand it is neat to see a 12 year old Japanese girl place 1st on vert ramps 5 times taller than herself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Speaking of drops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5OPdaKXqaA

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I wasn't expecting much more than before but that was nuts, he's got a thing going

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah I think that vid showed a nice sweet spot in his inevitable transition away from "throwing myself off bigger and scarier things" to something else.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I feel bad for him: when he's my age, his knees will hurt more than mine do, and that will suck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Intel has it that el toro is being converted into a
double set.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

double set.

I saw that too, saying that regs required a landing in the middle making it a double set but look at this

they are bound to do something at the bottom to make it hard to skate

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

double set.

you're welcome

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Here's a really good and long article about Phelps from all kinds of people throughout his life, definitely read it when you get a chance

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/jake-phelps-lifetime-retrospective/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Now thats an article

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
I ended up in this thread randomly but watching that Japanese 12 year old girl tear up that bowl was insane
Thanks goons.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

sleppy posted:

Dylan Stark rips on any type of bike, and is a pretty rad dude in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPqggX3XohI

Here's his full vid about the drop

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That poo poo is loving terrifying.

But why don't these dudes go on Amazon and buy a few reflective vests and some bullshit hard hats, maybe a few pair of Dickies so they can blend in and get good intel on spots for, I'd say, at least an hour or so, before they get thrown out as imposters.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
New David Gravette part

https://youtu.be/Q6QOB3NNSCk

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

it's really cool to see him skating again.
He had a rough go of it for a bit with his hip dislocating. Sounds terrible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Gravette/Creature is basically the platonic ideal of skateboarding and the culture imo. Not sure why, that's just the exact kind of skating and "brand" I think of when I think of what skateboarding is to me.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I don't care if it was a hosed up kickflip or whatever, that little ollie north after the long-rear end boardslide was adorable. Gravette's always had this really goddamn engaging skate and I could honestly watch a whole part of his that was just ollies and hippies.

Also gently caress yeah The Hu soundtrack :hellyeah:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Anybody know te name of this ancient skateboard I still have ?

The drawing is almost destroyed. But its 2 guys about to start a street fight.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

mrfart posted:

Anybody know te name of this ancient skateboard I still have ?

The drawing is almost destroyed. But its 2 guys about to start a street fight.

It's a Justin Girard New Deal deck from before he started Mad Circle. 1992. The cell blocks give the date away, old school truck pattern too I think. Twist artwork maybe? He did a lot of the early Mad Circle graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcukjuQezbk

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Carlos Lastra is going to help me land my first tre flip in 20 years on Friday. Pretty excited.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Garfu posted:

Carlos Lastra is going to help me land my first tre flip in 20 years on Friday. Pretty excited.

Is Aaron Kyro going to be there to try and convert you to Scientology?

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not a skater, but my 6 year old son is.

I got him a decent skateboard a while ago and he really picked it up around easter when the weather started getting better. The past 4 weeks he's trying to land an Ollie. He used to get the board up and more or less getting the back wheels up, but that was it. The tail was firmly stuck to the ground.

Because he enjoys it so much I'm really supportive. Last Saturday we were talking about improving his Ollie, so I decided to film him to see if we could spot any errors. When playing back at a slowed down rate, we could see he lifted is front foot a bit. He tried to correct it, which resulted in his first successful Ollie (as in get 100% airborn)!. Here it is:

He's now officially a cool dude! :cheers:

We're now trying to improve it so we'll get the board hanging flat in the air. Since I'm not a skater myself, I need to go with what the internet tells me. He's no trying to slide his front leg all the way to the front of the board to get the Ollie more level. I'll keep you all updated!

Any hints & tips are welcome!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
watch the aaron kyro tutorials on youtube and turn into space church skaters too

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If most of his ollies look like that he's on a good path right now.

#1 - Don't practice them anymore without at least some forward movement (in fact the more the better). It's ok for when he's just starting out to get used to the concept but from what I can tell he's far enough along that he should be almost exclusively doing them on the move. He will naturally correct a lot of what's wrong here just by doing that, and even more if he's practicing going up small curbs or over small obstacles.

Doing them standing still is just different enough from doing them moving that they're not quite the same technique, especially when it comes to landing. The forward momentum of landing while moving actually makes it easier.

#2 - From the gif I'd tell him to even out how much "jump" he's giving his feet. The front foot looks a little too aggressive and the back isn't high enough, but the timing looks fine. If he's doing #1 this will come naturally as the feet "learn" that they're doing more of a jumping onto/over motion and need to level out before landing.

#3 - Let the front foot drift forward a little more to level the board out in the air, but again I think this will come naturally with the first 2 tips.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 8, 2019

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

MrOzzy posted:

I got him a decent skateboard a while ago and he really picked it up around easter when the weather started getting better. The past 4 weeks he's trying to land an Ollie. He used to get the board up and more or less getting the back wheels up, but that was it. The tail was firmly stuck to the ground.

Because he enjoys it so much I'm really supportive. Last Saturday we were talking about improving his Ollie, so I decided to film him to see if we could spot any errors. When playing back at a slowed down rate, we could see he lifted is front foot a bit. He tried to correct it, which resulted in his first successful Ollie (as in get 100% airborn)!. Here it is:

We're now trying to improve it so we'll get the board hanging flat in the air. Since I'm not a skater myself, I need to go with what the internet tells me. He's no trying to slide his front leg all the way to the front of the board to get the Ollie more level. I'll keep you all updated!

That's awesome!! I've only just gotten started with ollies but the best advice I ever got was to keep your weight on your front foot. The rear foot is there to snap/pop the board against the ground and then kinda get outta the way.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
"do it how it looks" is like 90% of learning in skateboarding so just watch vids of guys ollieing stuff and watch their pops+leveling in the air.

if you watch tutorials imo watch a lot of them and figure out what tips they have in common and what sounds like it makes sense to him, everyone has differing styles and theories really.

Edit: the more I watch the gif the more I want to just say "crouch" in the air as if an obstacle is passing under (which it can be if you want!).

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2019

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Agreeing that he should start doing them with some forward momentum. Trying to clear something low will help. I learned by jumping a broomstick, since it wasn't very high and failing to clear it wouldn't send me flying.

Also, it seems like he isn't jumping off his back foot much, more just pushing it down. His knee never really rises any. Have him imagine jumping off the ground under the board, not the board itself.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
dang lots of hate for braille?

edit: a large percentage of their videos are annoying and I skip them, but a smaller percentage, plus all of the braille army (100% skateboarding) videos are pretty good.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 8, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sure there's a lot of people who get mileage out of tutorial vids but personally almost every single thing I ever read or watched as an instructional thing just added poo poo I was thinking about when what I really needed was to just stop thinking about poo poo so much and get comfortable/less scared of doing whatever, which was almost always only accomplished by doing it a lot.

I feel like they must be most useful for either super raw day 1 skater who doesn't get how an Ollie even works, or once you're at an intermediate level and need to figure out little mechanical and technical foot placements for specific flips/grinds.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

MrOzzy posted:

You are a rad dad. And like everyone else said: get him jumping over small stuff or at least moving forward. it changes things a lot and kind of forces you to do the right things.

Also once he can go forward and Ollie see if he likes going backwards (fakie) and doing it too. It’s very similar.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It's a Justin Girard New Deal deck from before he started Mad Circle. 1992. The cell blocks give the date away, old school truck pattern too I think. Twist artwork maybe? He did a lot of the early Mad Circle graphics.

Thanks!
The trucks are a lot older I think, same for the wheels.
Like all my skateboards, it was a bit of a scavenger affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Good lord skate thread. Do you read yourselves?

Here's my advice:

Dad: Tell him about one thing and only one thing today and let the little guy work on that before dropping any more information on him. That's already going to be a lot to think about and work into.