Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arkhams Razor posted:

You would be right. Like you said, a lot of the delivery/translation here seems way too formal.

Yeah, it's all very formal and calm. The actors and actresses so far have been fine, I think. I think I like this Gendo better than Swasey, for example. But the script and the direction...

edit: OH MY GOD KEEL

"Mankind has no time left." VS "Humanity has little time to spare."

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'm not gonna be watching it, but I need some info on a few lines:
Does Misato still say "So loving what if I'm not you?"
Does the SEELE special forces still say "Hit em again"?
Does Fuyutsuki still :effort: Sweet Jesus it's an Anti-AT field. :effort:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zeruel posted:

I'm not gonna be watching it, but I need some info on a few lines:
Does Misato still say "So loving what if I'm not you?"
Does the SEELE special forces still say "Hit em again"?
Does Fuyutsuki still :effort: Sweet Jesus it's an Anti-AT field. :effort:

Gone.
Gone.
Gone. "It must be an Anti-AT field."

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Awful.

Oh poo poo what does Asuka say instead of Baloney Pony?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zeruel posted:

Awful.

Oh poo poo what does Asuka say instead of Baloney Pony?

Not sure, I'll take a look. Asuka might be the worst voice so far, though.

I'm just kind of skipping around. The formal, literal delivery hurts a lot of iconic scenes. The confrontation between Bardiel and Unit 01 is so much weaker. I said I'd liked this Gendo but he drops the ball hard in that scene.

edit: "Are you two seeing each other or something?"

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 21, 2019

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Holy lol, you're making it sound like they've stripped all emotion out of the dialogue, is it really that bad?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Can't believe they took away I'm so hosed up

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nanpa posted:

Holy lol, you're making it sound like they've stripped all emotion out of the dialogue, is it really that bad?

i'll defend it slightly. I dunno if it's as good as the old dub but it's not like they just got Siri to do all the voices or anything like that. Misato's VA is growing on me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nanpa posted:

Basically, yes. The actors are generally fine at the delivery, but the writing is very literal and formal.

From the Bardiel fight...

In the original dub, when Shinji sees the entry plug in Unit 01's hand: "MAKE IT STOP!"

In this one, same scene: "Don't do it!"

In the original, when Bardiel is choking out Shinji, Gendo says: "It's him or you."

In this one, "You'll die if you don't."

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 21, 2019

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

drat I don't wanna sound smug about it but this sounds like rear end lmao

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

i'll defend it slightly. I dunno if it's as good as the old dub but it's not like they just got Siri to do all the voices or anything like that. Misato's VA is growing on me

From skipping around I think the one that stands out to me is Asuka. In the EoE fight scene she sounds a lot more subdued than I remember, but maybe it's just nostalgia talking since I cant find a clip of the original to compare it to.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think a lot of Asuka's German lines are gone.

"Misato's melons" is gone. Yep, Kaji's whole speech there is a big casualty.

They call it "The Central Dogma" and "The Terminal Dogma."

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 21, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

At least the original Japanese audio is still (mostly) intact. I don't really have time to investigate myself, but can anyone tell me if the Japanese version still translates the Anno title cards in subtitles? For whatever reason, the English dub doesn't translate the title cards at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's an original redub it makes sense that they wouldn't make the same often weird localization decisions.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hearing news about the new dub bums me out. I legit loved the old dub. I know dubs from back in that era are generally disregarded but I always personally found Eva's excellent. Nobody does whiny sad sack baby better than Spike Spencer.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If it's an original redub it makes sense that they wouldn't make the same often weird localization decisions.

I dunno changing one of the most iconic lines from "i'm so hosed up" to "i'm the lowest of the low" seems like a weirder localization decision.

Even if the new line is a more literal translation of the Japanese I feel like the original was much more true to what a teenager would say.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Flipped through it a little bit and the title cards seem fine (in Japanese). Very weird choices all around. I've never been a dub guy and I probably wasn't going to gently caress with the new dub regardless, but good lord they did the new dub dirty.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yui didn't kill everyone; she intercepted a prophecy about the end of the world, and then risked her life, abandoned her family, and played the most powerful men on the planet to make sure they couldn't hijack the prophecy to turn themselves into gods.

(And then found a way to rationalize the utter loneliness that awaited her at the end of it, after seeing her son one last time.)

except it wasn't remotely anything noble like that, she gladly hosed over absolutely everyone in the process including her family

especially her family

you can say everything after she got unit-01'd was out of her control but she wasn't particularly hesitant about any of this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was going to say I appreciate them going with three relative unknowns for Shinji, Rei, and Asuka's voices and then I actually looked up IMDB and oh those three have actually been in a ton of shows lately

but hey non-binary person cast as the lead in an anime dub that's cool! Shame about the script though. I have no love for ADV's habit of just inventing poo poo out of the blue but they could have least Funimation'd it a bit to help with flow.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm betting they kept the subtitles for Episode 26 right? It's just the quick shots of street signs and beer cans that's untranslated?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I've finished skipping around. It's an unfortunate dub. The cast sounds so similar to the originals during the low-key moments that you wonder why they re-did it in the first place (rights, obviously.) But it seems like any intense scene is just hamstrung by the overly formal script and therefore the deliveries suffer as a consequence. It's like that quote about Star Wars: you can write this stuff but you can't say it. There's no character to the script and very little character to the delivery. Asuka and Ritsuko are maybe the two biggest casualties. Most of the others are okay. Keel is probably the voice that stood out to me as being way off.

Like, every time they say "Central Dogma" or "Terminal Dogma" they append 'the.' This makes a lot of lines sound clunky. "It's approaching Terminal Dogma!" "It's approaching The Terminal Dogma!" Terminal Dogma is a location. You don't say it's approaching The Tokyo.

Tragic.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I interviewed Tiffany Grant and briefly spoke with Amanda Winn Lee about the new dub a few months ago. I can't get into too many specifics due to potential legal SNAFUs, but suffice it to say, Netflix's treatment toward the old cast is awful, AWFUL, and it goes way beyond just passing them over.
I'm sure the new voice actors tried their best, but Netflix made their bed and they can lie in it. gently caress the new dub.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Replacing all uses of "love" vis a vis Shinji and Kaworu with "like" sure is a fuckin choice

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Blockhouse posted:

Replacing all uses of "love" vis a vis Shinji and Kaworu with "like" sure is a fuckin choice

They're sure doing justice to significant LGBT icons in animation huh.
Netflix can eat my rear end.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

They've basically decided it's peak JAPONAISE bullshit hours

make the script like the original, erase the gays, evangelion is a TV show you can watch with your whole family

At least the actresses/actors are solid

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Beefstew posted:

They're sure doing justice to significant LGBT icons in animation huh.
Netflix can eat my rear end.

on one hand I'd say that an actual LGBT+ person getting a high profile dubbing role and paycheck is more significant than fictional representation

on the other hand. yeah it sucks. "Kaworu said he loved me" is a line that's been pretty consistently translated in every Evangelion localization in history, we're not dealing with loving "Hit 'em again" here. People figured this one out a long time ago.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

on one hand I'd say that an actual queer person getting a high profile dubbing role and paycheck is more significant than fictional representation

wait what? I haven't seen anything about the dub cast so this is welcome news to me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Jesus.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

That's really weird, given that the translator is the same one that's been doing all of Khara's official translations for the rebuilds. Whatever they're doing, my impression is that the marching orders are coming from then, not Netflix.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kazinsal posted:

wait what? I haven't seen anything about the dub cast so this is welcome news to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Mongillo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

this is *intensely* good

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arkhams Razor posted:

That's really weird, given that the translator is the same one that's been doing all of Khara's official translations for the rebuilds. Whatever they're doing, my impression is that the marching orders are coming from then, not Netflix.

Yeah this isn't coming from Netflix. This is Khara or Gainax themselves.

I feel sorry for the VAs. They're obviously trying but the awful script and really obvious lack of proper direction destroys the show.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1141998516082024448

Just to compare.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Okay this doesn't seem as atrocious as people are making it sound. But....
That's not my Misato. :ohdear:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

People are saying the score is different in the English versions, with the new credits track (one of the Rei themes) now being absent from the scenes it was in previously.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MelancholyMark posted:

I dunno changing one of the most iconic lines from "i'm so hosed up" to "i'm the lowest of the low" seems like a weirder localization decision.

Even if the new line is a more literal translation of the Japanese I feel like the original was much more true to what a teenager would say.
That's the thing though, they're not "changing" the original dub, they're making an entirely new product based on the Japanese script. If they don't have the rights to the ADV dub then they won't be copying it because that would amount to plagiarism.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't say whether the Netflix dub is making good decisions but you can't expect it to just have the same script.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I recognize some decent VA's in that cast list but it's interesting that they went with a lot of relative newcomers for the leads. It makes me wonder if some of the bigger names decided to avoid those roles. For such a big property a lot of the staff is kind of green. VDI Studios hasn't done a whole lot and while I've liked some of Carrie Kernanen's past performances she doesn't have a lot of direction credits and this is her first adaptation credit.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 21, 2019

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I haven't seen it yet so I can't say whether the Netflix dub is making good decisions but you can't expect it to just have the same script.

Oh defintively, but toning down an important scene of LGBT animation so it easily can be read as not LGBT is not ok.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is going to sound like a very odd comparison but I get the same feel I do comparing the 4Kids dub of Pokemon with it's current dub.
Sure the script is more accurate and the japanese companies behind it are happier with having some control but it just feels stiff and wooden by comparison.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this isn't coming from Netflix. This is Khara or Gainax themselves.

I feel sorry for the VAs. They're obviously trying but the awful script and really obvious lack of proper direction destroys the show.

I forget, who has the rights to TV eva these days? Is it still Gainax or did that get moved over to Khara?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The REAL Goobusters posted:

they removed fly me to the moon.

gently caress this trash

:what: