Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

A human heart posted:

Krautrocksampler has a lot of factual errors as well as Julian Cope's sort of annoying opinions in it because he's a burnout. anyway it's kind of weird to say that he should avoid tago mago because of the 20 minute long improv when that's half the appeal of listening to krautrock in the first place and it's a great album.

Right well, we'll have to differ on that. Cope's Head Heritage had been one of the best places for heavy psych for years. His style can be irritating but I don't know another writer who championed Amon Duul along with Monoshock and really obscure stuff like Vincent Black Shadow. Maybe I missed some critics in that regard, I'd happily learn some names if so.

And I said that Tago Mago is an awesome album but figured that maybe the poster would have an easier time getting into Can with their more streamlined album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The real reason not to start with Can when checking out Krautrock is that Can will absolutely ruin you for all the other bands under the Krautrock umbrella because they're loving perfect.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll start with the first NEU!, the first Faust, and Ege Bamyasi. If I'm still digging it I'll give Tago Mago a shot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Was Kraftwerk too obvious a choice for a place to start with Kraut Rock? I've always thought of them as the poster child of the genre. Autobahn, The Man-Machine and Computer World are great.

But yeah, Can and NEU are awesome.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah Kraftwerk rules and the first two albums are very much krautrock. Panda Bear also sampled from the third album so you know it must be good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

The real reason not to start with Can when checking out Krautrock is that Can will absolutely ruin you for all the other bands under the Krautrock umbrella because they're loving perfect.

to be honest you can listen at random to most krautrock bands from like 1969 through to 1974 and you have to work fairly hard to get stuff that is outright bad - even a lot of way lesser known groups are really good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ok so I listened to two Kanye albums so far, The College Dropout and MBDTF. I know from the posts here that the latter is considered his masterpiece but I honestly liked College Dropout more, especially the first half of the album, and most especially Jesus Walks. That is one epic track. The production just elevated it to some other level.

Any album of his in particular that sounds most like that song?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Late Registration is what you should listen to next, the production is similar to College Dropout but it has an orchestra.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Was Kraftwerk too obvious a choice for a place to start with Kraut Rock? I've always thought of them as the poster child of the genre. Autobahn, The Man-Machine and Computer World are great.

But yeah, Can and NEU are awesome.

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah Kraftwerk rules and the first two albums are very much krautrock. Panda Bear also sampled from the third album so you know it must be good.

In my experience, Kraftwerk's generally held out of pure krautrock status in discussions like this because of where their eventual output took them - by the time you hit radioactivity and autobahn, they're diverging. I wouldn't call TEE or anything after it krautrock in any sense - even though those records are fantastic. The third album, ralf und florian, is one of my favorite records full stop. It's dreamy, a little too playful to be ambient, not as much beat as you might expect after listening to stuff like hallogallo or paperhouse.

It's all awesome music, but considering genres means drawing lines I guess

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hexwren posted:

In my experience, Kraftwerk's generally held out of pure krautrock status in discussions like this because of where their eventual output took them - by the time you hit radioactivity and autobahn, they're diverging. I wouldn't call TEE or anything after it krautrock in any sense - even though those records are fantastic. The third album, ralf und florian, is one of my favorite records full stop. It's dreamy, a little too playful to be ambient, not as much beat as you might expect after listening to stuff like hallogallo or paperhouse.

It's all awesome music, but considering genres means drawing lines I guess
it's fairly easy to forget the first two records because the band doesn't acknowledge them or want to rerelease them, however they're good and certainly krautrock. the first tangerine dream album is krautrock too even though they went away from that really quickly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A human heart posted:

it's fairly easy to forget the first two records because the band doesn't acknowledge them or want to rerelease them, however they're good and certainly krautrock. the first tangerine dream album is krautrock too even though they went away from that really quickly.

They technically have rereleased them.

Just not in a format that we generally think of as re-releasing anything.

And yeah, I'm not trying to denounce the material on those records, it's good stuff, I'm just used to the tone of these discussions being far more quick to judge bringing kraftwerk up in the context of the greater connyplankosphere.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

whoa, I had no idea about this — thank you!!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just noticed I've been listening to a lot of rock/metal JRPG soundtracks, so that made me think: Are there any Japanese rock/metal bands I can listen too?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Imahori Tsuneo did some anime stuff, specifically Trigun, but also others. He was in Tipographica, with which I'm honestly not that familiar. However!! He did two albums with Yoshida Tatsuya, both of which are most excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khauY4Jt7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdV3VRymmi4

"Language Pollution" is so good. I can't find it on YouTube. These songs are both good, though.

edit: I just realized you said JRPG and not anime, but I think there's a pretty narrow Venn diagram here. "Japanese rock/metal" is extremely vague. Here's some other stuff which might be right up your alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9sVlKTf_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2tjRv7IPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gGVNjhxng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_75EL9hF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xAz8jnIxQ

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 27, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

I just noticed I've been listening to a lot of rock/metal JRPG soundtracks, so that made me think: Are there any Japanese rock/metal bands I can listen too?

There are many great Japanese metal bands but I don't think any of them would fit what you're looking for if you're basing it on JRPG soundtracks. Although Boris have had a varied enough career that they might.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Junpei posted:

Blankfield did soundtracks to two shmups called Danmaku Unlimited:
https://blankfield.bandcamp.com/album/danmaku-unlimited-2-storm-strikers-original-soundtrack
https://blankfield.bandcamp.com/album/danmaku-unlimited-3-original-soundtrack
Really good, melodic technical metal.

As for Japanese rock, you can't go wrong with everything released on the legendary PSF label. Most of their stuff is out of print but there's a dude in LA that's been slowly remastering and releasing the catalogue:
https://blackeditions.bandcamp.com/

The first Tokyo Flashback comp is an absolute must:
https://tokyoflashback.bandcamp.com/album/tokyo-flashback

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BABYMETAL

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nobuo Uematsu's band The Black Mages does rock covers of his soundtracks.

Every Exist†trace song sounds like the opening to an anime or JRPG but I'm not sure if that's a compliment.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Dude...

Maximum The Hormone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beN5ep5MrdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWJ2Vdk3jo

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Junpei posted:

Are you looking for stuff that sounds like it could fit in a JRPG soundtrack or just Japanese rock/metal in general?

If it's the latter I'll second the person who mentioned Boris. Start with Akuma no Uta, Pink, and 2002 Heavy Rocks. If you liked the more experimental/noisy/droney parts then check out Flood and Feedbacker.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Junpei posted:

You might dig a lot of Japanese Power Metal, like Galneryus , Concerto Moon, Versailles, etc. Galneryus in particular often go for the "Final Fantasy final boss theme with wild guitar solos" vibe. If like The Black Mages approach to a more synth heavy
rock/metal version of FF songs that is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

internet celebrity posted:

Are you looking for stuff that sounds like it could fit in a JRPG soundtrack or just Japanese rock/metal in general?

If it's the latter I'll second the person who mentioned Boris. Start with Akuma no Uta, Pink, and 2002 Heavy Rocks. If you liked the more experimental/noisy/droney parts then check out Flood and Feedbacker.

Yeah if you want something more JRPG/Anime soundtracky, Attention Please or New Album might be the best fit. They're the most... restrained and straightforward??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEyeaoYg_k

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been trying to get more into TripHop, and was looking at the artist "Tricky". I looked at his Wikipedia page, and didn't find a real standout album. I was thinking of starting with Juxtapose, but that seems to have two other artists credited on the entire album. His best selling one was a soundtrack (?) album for a film. The only thing I have from him is "Excess" from that Queen of the Dead soundtrack album, and I just discovered he was a part of Massive Attack. What's the best album to start on, and to expand from after if I like it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IUG posted:

I've been trying to get more into TripHop, and was looking at the artist "Tricky". I looked at his Wikipedia page, and didn't find a real standout album. I was thinking of starting with Juxtapose, but that seems to have two other artists credited on the entire album. His best selling one was a soundtrack (?) album for a film. The only thing I have from him is "Excess" from that Queen of the Dead soundtrack album, and I just discovered he was a part of Massive Attack. What's the best album to start on, and to expand from after if I like it?

I’m no expert but Maxinquaye is a consensus classic

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, and that's his first album, so it should be easy to figure out where to go from there. Thanks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

IUG posted:

Alright, and that's his first album, so it should be easy to figure out where to go from there. Thanks.

Maxinquaye is his best by far. I'd expand from there to Massive Attack, who had Tricky as a member for their first couple albums. Their consensus best album is Mezannine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Maxinquaye is his best by far. I'd expand from there to Massive Attack, who had Tricky as a member for their first couple albums. Their consensus best album is Mezannine.

Yeah, Mezannine is the one album I have from them so far, and I was going to get Blue Lines next. After that I don't really know where to go for more trip hop. One of my favorite, and also then most disappointing albums, was Archive's Londonium, as any other album after that isn't the same style at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ministry?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Ministry?

Their first three metal albums: Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste, and especially Psalm 69 if you have to pick one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

IUG posted:

Yeah, Mezannine is the one album I have from them so far, and I was going to get Blue Lines next. After that I don't really know where to go for more trip hop. One of my favorite, and also then most disappointing albums, was Archive's Londonium, as any other album after that isn't the same style at all.

Try Martina Topley-Bird (she worked w/ Tricky):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2TADeHXpWE

And Smoke City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLjsW8XhY4

Also Portishead but they pretty much had their own noir-hop minigenre.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

IUG posted:

There's several flavors of trip-hop. One of my favorites is a one-off album, Mono - Life In Mono. Kind of a 60s James Bond / pop / sample heavy approach, the kind of music that was a perfect fit for the old soma.fm Secret Agent channel. As mentioned, Portishead was another huge, defining band for the genre. Hooverphonic and Sneaker Pimps had a lighter approach. Lamb and Manitoba / Caribou are great as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I remember trying Portishead, and not liking it at the time. Might have to try it again.

Also, since you said "sample heavy", it reminded me of a Bandcamp artist I like, Saltillo.
https://saltillo.bandcamp.com/album/ganglion

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The thing with Portishead is that they pretty much started the whole trip-hop thing with Dummy (their first LP), then grew tired of that sound and went heavily into the film noir influences with the second album and the third one is experiments with synths, tributes to Silver Apples and way, way darker songs. I love them but they pretty much outgrew the genre after their first album.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

IUG posted:

As mentioned start with Maxinquaye, then grab Nearly God and finally Pre-Millenium Tension. And to be honest if you stop they're you're not going to miss out on anything major. And I say that as someone who's actually a Tricky fan, but grab those first three LPs and everything after is pretty much a variation of the theme.

Massive Attack wise he was only on Blue Lines and Protection which are their best and a pick up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Their first three metal albums: Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste, and especially Psalm 69 if you have to pick one.

Got it in one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I particularly love the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up video (especially the dual-drummer intro---I'd love to see that beat get resurrected by Bill Rieflin's current group) but that is about as solid a Ministry answer as you can get.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

hexwren posted:

I particularly love the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up video (especially the dual-drummer intro---I'd love to see that beat get resurrected by Bill Rieflin's current group) but that is about as solid a Ministry answer as you can get.

I was so happy when he released another live set from that tour. I had the live CD for In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up forever, but it was neutered compared to the video. No Breathe, and also no pledge for Biafra plus "Land of Rape and Honey."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
After the posthumous release of Mac Miller and Sia's "That's Life" popped up on my Youtube recommends, and then I re-listened to his collab with Ariana Grande "The Way", I was wondering about the rest of Mac's stuff.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The new He is Legend album is excellent and I want more like this. I haven't kept up with the genre in a while, what are some other alt metal releases from the past 5-10 years that are worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
T-Rex