Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not gonna derail much further but point out that when Voyager started the Producers were convinced Neelix would be their breakout star.

And there was an episode where Neelix got merged with the black Vulcan Tuvok to become Tuvix. They gave him his own uniform:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Iron Crowned posted:

Neelix sucks, there I said it

Big if true.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The best Star Trek character was Norm!, I mean, Morn.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Never forget that the actor that played Tuvok, Tim Russ, also played the soldier in Spaceballs combing the desert with an enormous hair pick with the famous line "We ain't found poo poo!"

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
I remember reading something saying that Voyager manly existed to keep the brand in people's minds while there wasn't a movie or something doing the job. So Voyager exited because of the marketing reason of "Keep people thinking about it". I guess it succeeded. The fact that it made people think "What is this trash?," is irrelevant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Ape of Naples posted:

He was too much of a chatterbox for my tastes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Iron Crowned posted:

Neelix sucks, there I said it

Did you know they brought him back for a ST:O expansion set in the Delta Quadrant? They leaned in to how annoying he was, so, if they didn't know then, they obviously know now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

For a second I thought you meant Norm Macdonald's character.

But yeah that Thing looking thing on the barstool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skratchez posted:

For a second I thought you meant Norm Macdonald's character.

Norm Macdonald is a True Space Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpgwgbx5W2A

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Voyager is the second best Star Trek series after TNG and you people have lost your goddamn minds.

Neelix is awesome, I can't fathom how anyone would even entertain any thoughts to the contrary.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I don't like Neelix as much as you, but I agree on the rest. People defending DS9 can gently caress right off.

The third best Star Trek series is The Orville :colbert: mostly because the newer poo poo isn't Star Trek, it's just generic sci fi action show with Star Trek branding

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Kharmakazy posted:

Here's a panel that I think improves the joke.

I noticed how much copy-pasting is going on in those three panels of Wolverine and now I can't stop looking at it.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't like Neelix as much as you, but I agree on the rest. People defending DS9 can gently caress right off.

The third best Star Trek series is The Orville :colbert: mostly because the newer poo poo isn't Star Trek, it's just generic sci fi action show with Star Trek branding

What's it like having the wrongest opinion possible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pyknosis posted:

What's it like having the wrongest opinion possible

Yeah, the Orville is easily the second best Star Trek after DS9

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Star Trek is a campy, colorful tire fire of a franchise. Even at its very best it is absolutely idiotic. At its worst it has been genuinely racist, sexist, and dumber than a sack of nickels. Despite being a huge hit with women and gay audiences, to the point where we got the term "slash fiction" from Kirk/Spock erotica, it pretended gay people didn't exist until its 50th Anniversary. 80% or more of the episodes and movies over the last half-century suck and are only worth watching to mock. The new stuff isn't very good, but it's also not appreciably worse than the stuff that came before. The Orville is really expensive fanfiction. Every Star Trek fan with half a brain knows this, including literally everyone who made the actual shows.

New content:

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Heck-boy

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mind the walrus posted:

Star Trek is a campy, colorful tire fire of a franchise. Even at its very best it is absolutely idiotic. At its worst it has been genuinely racist, sexist, and dumber than a sack of nickels. Despite being a huge hit with women and gay audiences, to the point where we got the term "slash fiction" from Kirk/Spock erotica, it pretended gay people didn't exist until its 50th Anniversary. 80% or more of the episodes and movies over the last half-century suck and are only worth watching to mock. The new stuff isn't very good, but it's also not appreciably worse than the stuff that came before. The Orville is really expensive fanfiction. Every Star Trek fan with half a brain knows this, including literally everyone who made the actual shows.

Yeah this is fair, though that's what entertains me about the Orville. Newer trek shows tried to be edgy and gritty and "realistic" to appeal to modern audiences, and it falls flat. The Orville is stupid as gently caress and embraces that the older Star Trek series were, too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Neelix had sex with a two year old

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kes was the absolute worst. And that's saying something in a show that has Chakotay in it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nerds

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

oldpainless posted:

Neelix had sex with a two year old

Show me a star trak motherfucker that hasn't, then its news

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The only good Trek is TOS, watched in the 2000s.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
:yikes:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PittTheElder posted:

The only good Trek is TOS, watched in the 2000s.

Hopefully without the added CGI.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rasmus posted:

I remember reading something saying that Voyager manly existed to keep the brand in people's minds while there wasn't a movie or something doing the job. So Voyager exited because of the marketing reason of "Keep people thinking about it". I guess it succeeded. The fact that it made people think "What is this trash?," is irrelevant.

I don't remember that specifically, but the interesting thing about Voyager was that it was the face of an entire new network, and was so focused on by the higher-ups that DS9 could be created without a lot of interference reminding them to, you know, be Trek and not the Trek version of The Death Of Superman or Venom: Lethal Protector. The guys in The Fifty Year Mission (a book about Trek history) said they were super excited to make something unique and memorable.

Of course, the result was that Trek is now TOS, TNG, Voyager, and... um... that other one you need to go online to remember what it is. The one they had to bring Worf onto.

Unrelated, it's hard to find Funny TNG pictures.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Neelix was 100% a pedophile sex offender. Gets insanely jealous that Kes might talk to others, was more or less grooming her. thne, spends all his time with Naomi Wildman, once Kes is off the show. Then, leaves the ship to be with his own people.. and a 5 year old boy that took his fancy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pik_d posted:

Hopefully without the added CGI.

Definitely without. The extremely dated nature of it is integral to the enjoyment.

winterwerefox posted:

Neelix was 100% a pedophile sex offender.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MisterBibs posted:

Of course, the result was that Trek is now TOS, TNG, Voyager, and... um... that other one you need to go online to remember what it is. The one they had to bring Worf onto.

Oh, Mister Bibs. It's been so long since I've seen one of your classic Mister Bibs takes

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Where the hell are the funny pictures??

STFU with all this nerd poo poo and post funny pictures in the funny pictures thread.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ruth! Ruth! Ruth! Baby? Ruth!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Oh, Mister Bibs. It's been so long since I've seen one of your classic Mister Bibs takes

Not a take, read The Fifty Year Mission. Ratings were slumping, and turns out the only way to keep the station ship afloat was Put A TNG Dude On It. Don't blame me for DS9 being that Trek show that online folks remember and/or occasionally wonder why their friend/family member likes one of the Big Three over it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Where the hell are the funny pictures??

STFU with all this nerd poo poo and post funny pictures in the funny pictures thread.

No country girl wants more hay bales. She wants a goddamn corn cob.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Picnic Princess posted:

No country girl wants more hay bales. She wants a goddamn corn cob.

Country girls make do :wmwink:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I would like to apologize for this nerd poo poo derail.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I watched Voyager because I thought Captain Janeway was hot and I was like 12 or whatever.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It's good to know that you've yet to lose the battle against your true nemesis, a hot dog

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

funmanguy posted:

It's good to know that you've yet to lose the battle against your true nemesis, a bathtub faucet.

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PN8pzSn2Q