Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Expect My Mom posted:

Seeing a few more English impressions. The biggest complaint I see is that the new detective mechanics aren't the tightest, but nothing but good things about the story and there's still the goofy Yakuza poo poo you want.

Basically what I am seeing is that the new detective stuff kind of sucks, but story and Yakuza gameplay still carry it. I can think of worse things than that.

I see some split opinion about the new protagonist as well. The Eurogamer reviewer in particular really did not like him, though I do see praise elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I wonder if that's just a Man I Really Miss Kiryu thing, cause I've seen people not into Yagami, but others say he feels more interesting and deeper than Kiryu because he gets to be a more of a realistic guy.

I know Yagami's actor, Kimura Takuya (Kimutaku) from boyband SMAP so i'll probably like him! This game just looks like a Japanese tv drama so I'm stoked

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah, I wonder if that's just a Man I Really Miss Kiryu thing, cause I've seen people not into Yagami, but others say he feels more interesting and deeper than Kiryu because he gets to be a more of a realistic guy.

I know Yagami's actor, Kimura Takuya (Kimutaku) from boyband SMAP so i'll probably like him! This game just looks like a Japanese tv drama so I'm stoked

Haha, since you said he was SMAP (I was never a huge SMAP fan so I forget these things) I looked him up and at least I can say I remember him from Karei Naru Ichizoku and Mr. Brain. The casting makes sense, at least!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah! kimutaku's been in a ton of similar legal dramas, Mr. Brain and HERO come to mind, so I feel like he'll do a good job if I can get over it not being Kiryu

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm sure having a SMAP star in it moved some copies too - a bit of pandering to the established army of women who love RGG, no? Kind of like with Hiroki Narimiya (poor Hiroki, still luv u).

vv wish I had enough spare cash to say the same but since I'm holding out for my physical copy, a wait I must have :sigh:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i need judgment, like right now. i might double dip on a digital version just to play it tonight, the hype is that real.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm just gonna play Sonic Mania until Tuesday. I need a physical case on my shelf with the rest of the Yakuzas I got.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo my shopto order has processed im either getting the game tomorrow or on saturday, probably saturday holyshitholyshit.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I had no idea this was coming out so soon nor that it was so yakuza-like and content packed.

If I grab it now on PSN do I still get “early access” or have I missed the boat on that??

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ceramics posted:

I had no idea this was coming out so soon nor that it was so yakuza-like and content packed.

If I grab it now on PSN do I still get “early access” or have I missed the boat on that??

Game is out in 3 hours, if you buy it now you'll be able to pre-load (dunno about any early access)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did the preorder this morning and it said it was out at around 9 PM PDT so...I think you may be good?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Preorder'd and it unlocks in a couple hours as I'd hoped thanks all :)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/moriyoshijon/status/1141775899437785088

This game is going to rule

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't wait to solve crimes and go to karaoke in forty five minutes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, but I heard there is no Karaoke mini game this time :(

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I have so much catching up to do once my household goods arrive and I am reunited with my PS4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Aw dang. Guess ill find out what is in the game in nine minutes.

E: played like an hour and a half. Looks and feels good, very nice music.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 21, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yakuza franchise sale on Humble if anyone's still been sleeping on it

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/yakuza-franchise-sale

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Caitlin posted:

I'm sure having a SMAP star in it moved some copies too - a bit of pandering to the established army of women who love RGG, no? Kind of like with Hiroki Narimiya (poor Hiroki, still luv u).

You better believe it had coverage on Japanese TV as “this game has KimuTaku!” Like, legit mainstream notice when it was released. Which is why Pierre Taki getting pinched for blow hurt so much.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is rear end Catchem's preferred perving style

is he a grabby man or a pokey man

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

what is rear end Catchem's preferred perving style

is he a grabby man or a pokey man

The answer may surprise you!

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Unlucky7 posted:

This cannot be true. It must be a hideous lie!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Judgement: dubbed or subbed? There aren't a lot of Yakuza voice actors in the subbed version, right?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I don't think I can deal being in Kamuro-cho listening to people speak English :shrug:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

You're the first person to respond but your point, along with remembering they used the same actors for motion capture as voice over, pushed me over to the subbed side. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Digital Osmosis posted:

You're the first person to respond but your point, along with remembering they used the same actors for motion capture as voice over, pushed me over to the subbed side. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

It's not like I'd judge anyone for picking a dub, but I'm so used to the environment being my familiar digital Japan-home so changing it all of a sudden would feel really weird, you know? Glad I could help though!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digital Osmosis posted:

Judgement: dubbed or subbed? There aren't a lot of Yakuza voice actors in the subbed version, right?

Subbed, obviously.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It's kinda bizarre that this was the game they decided to try a dub with again. Like, it's a spinoff title not many people are likely to pick up, not a main series entry, which have all traditionally been sub-only anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

It's kinda bizarre that this was the game they decided to try a dub with again. Like, it's a spinoff title not many people are likely to pick up, not a main series entry, which have all traditionally been sub-only anyway.

Uh... FOTNS was dubbed too?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like if they skipped the dub we could have got this months earlier ffs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Subs all the way for me. Mirrors my experience with the Yakuza games, and I dig the original audio more and more over time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm a filthy gaijin who prefers dubs in games most of the time, assuming they're passable/good dubs.

man nurse posted:

Makes sense to me. Standalone story that could break the franchise to bigger heights, while, say, if you dub Yakuza 6 then the people who might care that it's in English won't want to go through five other entries, and the people who will get Yakuza regardless are goddamned mega weebs that already watch anime sub.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Do any Tojo or Omi people actually show up in this? I've been trying to steer clear of story spoilers this whole time, but gently caress would it be jarring to have like, Majima or Saejima get a cameo scene where they speak English. Unless Majima's dubbed by Mark Hamill, in which case I absolutely will play the entire game dubbed just for that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I prefer subs because the dialogue in games is often cheesy and ridiculous, and it's harder to feel second hand embarrassment for the performers if you don't understand the language they're performing in :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For what it is worth I have the dub on and I like it for the most part.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the new, simpler XP system. The combat styles are fun and it feels really good having a crowd-control style right off the bat.

I wonder if there's any way to lower your health on purpose so you can eat (I kept forgetting to check the pharmacy to see if appstim still exists, but I expect it doesn't.) I did spot a skill that from the name probably lets you eat at full health but it was very expensive, so at the moment I have the terrible urge to let myself get beaten up in every random battle so I can squeeze in some more XP.

I love that you get bonus XP for examining cats while looking for important clues.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 21, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Do any Tojo or Omi people actually show up in this? I've been trying to steer clear of story spoilers this whole time, but gently caress would it be jarring to have like, Majima or Saejima get a cameo scene where they speak English. Unless Majima's dubbed by Mark Hamill, in which case I absolutely will play the entire game dubbed just for that.

I'm only on chapter 2, but none of the main players from the older games yet. Kamurocho is 100% acknowledged as Tojo territory though and any Kanto yakuza are X of the Y Family, a Tojo Clan Subsidiary.

Edit: The food thing is why I'm always baffled that they treat 'food heals 20% MORE' as an upgrade while gating sidequests and XP behind the food. Surely it healing LESS would be better so you can eat more. And it's not like money is ever really an issue in these games.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 21, 2019

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I already appreciate this game for Yagami's outfit change also giving him a perfect shave

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
6 hours in and Yagami is asking a college girl what colour panties she wears so he can catch a perv. It's like Kiryu never left.

(Actually, I feel like this may have started as an idea for an Akiyama or Tanimura spin-off, then Kimutaku got on board and they revamped the character to be like the one he played on TV. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.